Which sapient ungulate races would you like to see in Foenum?

Rick Sanchez

Feb 3, 2016
Sorry if there's already a thread for this (if there is, I couldn't find it), but I'd love to see some tapirs. Lauren Faust and the other guys mentioned them in a livestream, and I think it'd be cool if they were modeled off of Aztecs, since the llamas resemble Incans.

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
Tapirs always make me think of a certain terrifying comic that I will not link on this family-friendly forum. (Also I would have to look at it in order to get a link.)

As for the question at hand: bison, moose, and okapi are my top picks. A camel, rhino, hippo, or giraffe could also be fun.

Rick Sanchez

Feb 3, 2016
Tapirs always make me think of a certain terrifying comic that I will not link on this family-friendly forum. (Also I would have to look at it in order to get a link.)
Okay, my curiosity has been peaked. Can you at least give me a hint to what or where this comic is?

Related to the topic at hand, I wonder if extinct ungulates like Hyracotherium, Indricotherium, Chalicotherium, or Macrauchenia could be featured. Can you imagine the horror if they included the extinct meat-eating ungulates like mesonychids, Andrewsarchus, and entelodonts?

I also heard that cetaceans (whales, dolphins, and porpoises) have been recently considered ungulates by scientists since they evolved from primitive artiodactyls. But they don't have hooves, so the likeliness of them being sapient in Foenum is unlikely. (Though I don't see the problem with having Hippocampi if they want to have aquatic ungulates.)

CrpCrwls

This dim light which falls from the stars...
Feb 6, 2016
Oh damn, I could totally see the Antelope being even more graceful than Velvet and making her green with envy.

I wonder if there are plans to include Rhinoceros and Hippopotamus. They are ungulate but they don't really have hooves... A giraffe could be awesome considering they use their head as an epic flail to fight. We could also have a cute little piggy or a big bad boar.

SmokeRulz

Where there is smoke, there is fire!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I'd second antelope just because they look really cool and would be sort of a different take on Velvet, given similar body types. Not sure what the fighting style would be, though.

Otherwise I'd love to see a zebra of some kind, because they could potentially have a very exotic fighting style. And no, not necessarily a Zecora copy, but of a similar kind of design. That shamanistic type of magic just fits zebra so well, or at least something similar.

Masterweaver

Teller of Tales Bard Of Awesomeness
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
Internet
www.fimfiction.net
I'm pretty sure the Prophet is some sort of antelope. I remember reading somewhere that she was an inhabitant of a desert in a time of pharaohs and pyramids; antelope are the ungulates that I know of that live in the egyptian region, although my google search has yet to reveal any bearded species...

Rashy

EVO Champ Since Vietnam
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Give me a giraffe. That'd be the greatest. Not even one cut down for size or anything. Just have it clip off of the top of the screen. That would be amazing.

Reactions: sirbacon

CrpCrwls

Feb 6, 2016
I my memory serve me right there is a kind of water spirit who take the form of a horse to trick people into riding him and then drown them. Could be an interesting addition for an evil character/antagonist/boss.

Reactions: Super jorsour64

Super jorsour64

gotta him em' with dat Hogwa$h
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
I my memory serve me right there is a kind of water spirit who take the form of a horse to trick people into riding him and then drown them. Could be an interesting addition for an evil character/antagonist/boss.
Oh yes the Brook Horse! Or also traditionally called "Bäckahästen" in Scandinavian folklore. Seriously, go play the game Year Walk. It's a great game and it features it! That's how I learned about it!

CrpCrwls

Feb 6, 2016
The only problem I can see with all of those is that they're not really ungulates but shapeshifter, and in every case their ungulate form is a horse... it'll make it harder to make their fighting skill different from one another and an eventual horse character. I could see it with like... two characters appearing at the same specie, say an actual horse and a Kelpie, the Horse would have a much more physical style while the Kelpie use water magic or something so they would be different, but the more characters with the same basic shape you bring in the more it'll look like a simple palette swap.

Rick Sanchez

Feb 3, 2016
The only problem I can see with all of those is that they're not really ungulates but shapeshifter, and in every case their ungulate form is a horse... it'll make it harder to make their fighting skill different from one another and an eventual horse character. I could see it with like... two characters appearing at the same specie, say an actual horse and a Kelpie, the Horse would have a much more physical style while the Kelpie use water magic or something so they would be different, but the more characters with the same basic shape you bring in the more it'll look like a simple palette swap.
Or they could change the mythology so that it only has one form: a water horse.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when I researched Longma mythology, they didn't have flaming wings. There's nothing wrong with works changing depictions of mythological creatures, since the stories about them tend to vary from the beginning anyway.

CrpCrwls

Feb 6, 2016
I'd be okay with changing stuff around so that they only have the water horse form, that leave the problem of possibly too many "horse" character. And I'm going to make it more complicated by suddently remembering that Dullahan ride headless horses... well not really headless, the head float ahead of the body with flames and sparks going out of his nostrils. Could possibly make another interesting antagonist or boss.

Masterweaver

Teller of Tales Bard Of Awesomeness
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
Internet
www.fimfiction.net
My image of a Pooka is basically a weird Shadow shapeshifter that has a number of 'adaptive forms'--bat, rabbit, swarm of spiders, and, yes, horse--and a natural form that is very... other. Somewhere between them all, like a knuckle-walking mix between panther and sloth.

Shikainu

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Japanese Serow would be neat, but I think they'd count as goats, ahaha.
Maybe antelope? Like a Greater Kudu?

Rayne-The-Skunk

Dark Side Artist
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
There's these Mangalica things that are pigs that have sheep wool.
Those would be cool to see.

Reactions: Tox

The Skullivan

That guy what with the ponies
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
A giraffe character would make for an interesting addition. They could fill the grappler vacancy by grabbing people with that huge neck of theirs and slamming them around.

The Yaski

Acting representative of the Empire of Tianhuo
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I'm more thinking in reverse, what kind of fighters would I want to see and then thinking what races could match. Like, Tianhuo wears armor (sometimes) but she's definitely not an "armored" type fighter. Arizona has a bit of "beefiness" to her, but she isn't your Zangief or Iron Tager character. I think a bison would work really well for that or maybe a rhinoceros. We also don't have any true weapon fighters. I imagine most natives of Foenum fight by horn or by hoof, but it would be cool to have ONE race that is weapon based. Maybe a smaller race that needs a weapon to compensate. If we are going to be really broad on the meaning of ungulates we could even include hyraxes. I think this would be great, it could confuse every opponent not only by being the only weapon wielder but also by all the fighters going "You can talk?" and it would be super indignant about it, complaining about how it is an ungulate too. Also, it's weapon could be part of its hitbox to compensate for being so small.

Solario

Okay, yes, tapirs would be a fantastic and relatively unique addition. I would also not mind some giraffes, moose, gazelles, and ibexes. And how could we set aside the pigs~? Also, although they don't have "hooves", hippos and rhinos are technically classified under ungulatae...though, so are whales and dolphins... :/

Yeah, the kelpie is basically a wicked shapeshifter that just looks like a horse when it's above water, hunting (usually small children who don't eat their veggies), but they're definitely one of my favorite "evil" equine creatures in folklore. I also had the notion of one using water magic the way Velvet has her ice, and the character would have to have some serious tweaking to how its moves worked in order to keep it from being a clone, but I'd still love to see it nonetheless.

Reactions: OCisbestungulate

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
Instead of playable whales, they could alternatively be a stage hazard.

The Yaski

Acting representative of the Empire of Tianhuo
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Nah, like the island turtle in Avatar, the whales are an ancient and powerful race of great wisdom, but they are mysterious and keep to themselves. They are met during the story mode and share some sort of secret with the champion(s) but aren't playable.