1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Them's Fightin' Herds is now out on Early Access!
    You can buy it from these links.
    Humble Bundle // Steam

3. Mane6 is currently hiring!
    We have an open position for a 2D (Pixel) Artist to help with Them's Fightin' Herds' Story mode/Pixel Lobby. Details here

4. Current Early Access Patch: 11-5-2018+ Hotfix 11-5-18.a

Leathal League: Is It a Fighting Game?

Discussion in 'Fighting Games' started by Cinnamaldehyde, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Cinnamaldehyde

Cinnamaldehyde DDR Savant
    Backers' Beta Tester

It has directional inputs, a jump button, and two (attack) buttons, and character specific special moves.
    I don't really know or have an opinion on weather or not it is a fighting game, but I do love it.

2. Kylgore

Kylgore Has the beginner's gung-ho spirit!

It's not a fighting game. It's a sports game. It's dodgeball and, to my knowledge, dodgeball is a sport. It also happens to be the only sports game that I enjoy.

OJhat likes this.
  3. Oreo

Oreo Keepin' It Stylish
    Staff Member Mane6 QA

It definitely has some Smash Bros. style movement options. Short jumps, fast falls, wall jumps, dash dancing, etc. So if it's similar to any style of game mechanically, I'd say it's most like a platform fighter.

4. SmokeRulz

SmokeRulz Where there is smoke, there is fire!
    Backers' Beta Tester

If anything, it could be considered an unorthodox fighting game (as opposed to traditional fighting game), much like Smash Bros. The grey area comes from how it's entirely based around the ball, making it a hybrid of a sports game (specifically dodgeball).

Delusional Dreamer likes this.
  5. Cinnamaldehyde

Cinnamaldehyde DDR Savant
    Backers' Beta Tester

Yeah the goal is still to hit your opponent and get rid of "stocks", you just have to hit your opponent with the ball.

6. COMPUTEROSIS

COMPUTEROSIS FPLOON: The Revolution
    Backers' Beta Tester

I'd say that it's "Fighting Game Adjacent"... It has the strategy and metagame of a 2D fighting game, but with the competitiveness of a typical sports game... Regardless, I take every match against Candyman seriously...

7. Stars

Stars Just a Guy
    Backers' Beta Tester

Perhaps "combat sport"? Trying to think of other examples of something like that, but I need to leave for work momentarily. I think there's a basketball fighting game from the 32-bit era. Can't remember the name though.