Leathal League: Is It a Fighting Game?

Cinnamaldehyde

DDR Savant
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 10, 2016
Lake Stevens
It has directional inputs, a jump button, and two (attack) buttons, and character specific special moves.
I don't really know or have an opinion on weather or not it is a fighting game, but I do love it.

Kylgore

Has the beginner's gung-ho spirit!
Jun 9, 2017
It's not a fighting game. It's a sports game. It's dodgeball and, to my knowledge, dodgeball is a sport. It also happens to be the only sports game that I enjoy.

Reactions: OJhat

Oreo

Keepin' It Stylish
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
D.M.V. FGC
It definitely has some Smash Bros. style movement options. Short jumps, fast falls, wall jumps, dash dancing, etc. So if it's similar to any style of game mechanically, I'd say it's most like a platform fighter.

SmokeRulz

Where there is smoke, there is fire!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
If anything, it could be considered an unorthodox fighting game (as opposed to traditional fighting game), much like Smash Bros. The grey area comes from how it's entirely based around the ball, making it a hybrid of a sports game (specifically dodgeball).

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

COMPUTEROSIS

FPLOON: The Revolution
Backers' Beta Tester
I'd say that it's "Fighting Game Adjacent"... It has the strategy and metagame of a 2D fighting game, but with the competitiveness of a typical sports game... Regardless, I take every match against Candyman seriously...

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
Perhaps "combat sport"? Trying to think of other examples of something like that, but I need to leave for work momentarily. I think there's a basketball fighting game from the 32-bit era. Can't remember the name though.