Which sapient ungulate races would you like to see in Foenum?

TigerKirby215

I should be doing work right now
Crowdfund Backer
Mar 29, 2016
Hippogriffs aren't boring... Though their lore overlaps a lot with our longma maybe (ungulate and predator species who utterly hate each other bred).... It seems like a lot of people want a moose, I'd be surprised if it didn't eventually make it in
Hippogriffs aren't boring. o_O

I do admit that it would be very hard to design one that wouldn't effectively be a re-skinned Tianhuo, though.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
I'm not that sure about a moose. Especially with that rifle mechanic. If one ever gets into it could be more like Big Band, as in a big-arse character and his playstyle could be based on that. However as I mentioned before I'm not sure about it. At least not as an early extra character, first there should be more unique species introduced (I.e., not similar to already playable species), like boar, gazelle, or the like.

What about a Bongo?
--edit--
Or a mouse deer? If for nothing else as a shopkeeper looking for shinies. I have no idea why it gives me that "trade for shinies" feel.
Or a Pudú for a more deer-ish look?

Last edited:

TigerKirby215

I should be doing work right now
Crowdfund Backer
Mar 29, 2016
Moose is best moose. ;3;

The rifle concept was a dumb thing I came up while being half awake.
I do think the general idea of having a larger fighter as a larger mammal would make sense. I do also really like the whole "Axe Horns" thing.

TheWalrus

Feb 17, 2016
My image of a Pooka is basically a weird Shadow shapeshifter that has a number of 'adaptive forms'--bat, rabbit, swarm of spiders, and, yes, horse--and a natural form that is very... other. Somewhere between them all, like a knuckle-walking mix between panther and sloth.
In the context of a world without human beings, I think a Pooka would have the power to transform in any other animal, kind of like a non-humanoid Doppelgänger.

In short, a Shang Tsung type of character who can turn into other fighters. Stuff like Oleander's book or Pom's puppies would be magically replicated too, bursting into smoke when the transformation ends.

Nivek_Draco

I don't even care what my username means.
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
'MURICA
Hippogriffs aren't boring... Though their lore overlaps a lot with our longma maybe (ungulate and predator species who utterly hate each other bred).... It seems like a lot of people want a moose, I'd be surprised if it didn't eventually make it in
I always wondered how hippogriffs happened. In certain mythology, griffons exclusively eat horses.

Mighty Alicorn Hunter

Predator Representative of the Darkside
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The Council
I always wondered how hippogriffs happened. In certain mythology, griffons exclusively eat horses.
That's correct, Hippogriffs are supposed to be the ultimate symbol of unity or love or whatever because griffons and horses are mortal enemies... I'm assuming in a more realistic situation, they'd be made more like... half-orcs.... *shivers*

Poppun

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Jun 9, 2016
Um....this one might be a bit of a stretch but, what about some sort of Whale? A comparatively small one like a Beluga or a Dolphin. I know they aren't exactly Ungulates, but they do share a common ancestor with Cows, granted it would be tricky to have one travel around but that could still work; it could be some sort of inventor Whale who is also incredibly stubborn and an idealist. Their back story could be that they decided they were going to participate even though most of the returning predators are land dwellers and generally not a threat to Whales and ended up being the champion by default; nobody else put together a huge water tank pulled by turtles and sea lions to go fight on land

Rick Sanchez

Feb 3, 2016
Um....this one might be a bit of a stretch but, what about some sort of Whale? A comparatively small one like a Beluga or a Dolphin. I know they aren't exactly Ungulates, but they do share a common ancestor with Cows, granted it would be tricky to have one travel around but that could still work; it could be some sort of inventor Whale who is also incredibly stubborn and an idealist. Their back story could be that they decided they were going to participate even though most of the returning predators are land dwellers and generally not a threat to Whales and ended up being the champion by default; nobody else put together a huge water tank pulled by turtles and sea lions to go fight on land
I suggested that! Scientists now lump cetaceans into the Artiodactyl (even-toed ungulate) group meaning that, yes, whales ARE ungulates.

I wonder if the game devs are aware of this.

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

Mane6Dev

The Powers that Be
Mane6 Developer
Jan 25, 2016
The Hold
mane6.com
I suggested that! Scientists now lump cetaceans into the Artiodactyl (even-toed ungulate) group meaning that, yes, whales ARE ungulates.

I wonder if the game devs are aware of this.
We are. Still pretty unlikely unless we added legs, at which point we'd probably just make up an entire new species (or use a pre-existent cetacean mythical creature. Are there even any?)

0Zero100

Alpaka Representative/Robot Family Bear
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
We are. Still pretty unlikely unless we added legs, at which point we'd probably just make up an entire new species (or use a pre-existent cetacean mythical creature. Are there even any?)
A whale with legs... what would you even call that!?

CrpCrwls

This dim light which falls from the stars...
Feb 6, 2016
Well, it's not exactly a whale but if you're looking for aquatic mythical ungulates there is the hippocamp.

TheWalrus

Feb 17, 2016
Cetaceans are supposed to be very intelligent, but since a lot of animals in Foenum are already sapient maybe their mental capacity would step up to the next level and become full-fledged psychic powers. A character would be a dolphin esper who flies around with psychokinesis.

That said, I don't really like the idea of dragging cetaceans to the war between grass-eaters and beef-eaters just because they are technically ungulates. I don't think a sapient furless, fish-eating, fins-rather-than-legs dolphin would think of itself like an ungulate just because some obscure ancestry. That is, if it knows about that ancestry to begin with. Man took hundreds of millenniums to learn about his true origins.

Also, I kind of like the idea of the ocean of Foenum being an almost completely separated universe. Sapient aquatic animals would have their own interests and conflicts and don't really care about dryland matters. Similarly, I don't think land ungulates would care a lot about waterbound predators like sharks and orcas (that happen to be technical ungulates too), though they probably would be afraid to go near to the shore.

The underwater world has a lot of potential in itself.

CrpCrwls

This dim light which falls from the stars...
Feb 6, 2016
Also, I kind of like the idea of the ocean of Foenum being an almost completely separated universe. Sapient aquatic animals would have their own interests and conflicts and don't really care about dryland matters. Similarly, I don't think land ungulates would care a lot about waterbound predators like sharks and orcas (that happen to be technical ungulates too), though they probably would be afraid to go near to the shore.
I just had a thought, the land-based ungulates banished all the predators who threatened them... leaving the waterbound predator roam free. That could be a motivation for an eventual sea ungulate, they could be jealous of the fact that the land predators have been removed but the ones menacing them haven't and so they could seek the key not to close the door but to open it and shove all the aquatic predators in the Hold before closing the door again.

I think the fact that dolphins and co eat fish probably eliminate them thought, they're too "predatory", I mean, they don't threathen other ungulate but they still eat "meat". Longmas are omnivore and they choose to be completely vegetarian even thought they can eat non-ungulate creatures like the dogs do.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
What are they even standing on.

It does make me wonder how useful a wall-cling or wall-climb ability would be in a fighting game.
There are characters in games that can make it work (Tao from Blazblue pops to mind), it's a great starting place for jumping combos an being safe from ground attacks if you're high enough. Some more fg savvy people could elaborate better.
As for having a character like that in TFH, back in the crowdfound the Goat was mentioned of getting this skill. However take that with a LOT of salt as work on her hasn't even started, so that "subject to change" gets multiplied.
A giraffe would be interesting, but I really want to see a gazelle added!
Springbok. Gazelles are too generic sounding. Vote for Springbok.

Redness

The Class Pet
Oct 17, 2016
Fœnum
www.youtube.com
There are characters in games that can make it work (Tao from Blazblue pops to mind), it's a great starting place for jumping combos an being safe from ground attacks if you're high enough. Some more fg savvy people could elaborate better.
As for having a character like that in TFH, back in the crowdfound the Goat was mentioned of getting this skill. However take that with a LOT of salt as work on her hasn't even started, so that "subject to change" gets multiplied.

Exactly!

Stunthead

Springbok when
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
A giraffe would be interesting, but I really want to see a gazelle added!
I'm the biggest Springbok advocate on this forum and even I will concede that Gazelle are ever so slightly cuter. But everything Lauren does is cute and interesting so I don't think that'll be an issue. Maybe we can staple a Gazelle and a Springbok together and call it a Gazbok.

Rich Jammer

By the Numbers Accountant
Backers' Beta Tester
I'd love to see them use a Giraffe. Imagine the striking range XD
I'd like to imagine that the giraffe wears clothes to hide that they have their legs and necks folded underneath and they attack like Dhalsim. also that they attack by stretching their neck off screen and hitting the opponent from behind or above.

neopokekun

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 5, 2016
Gotta go with giraffe as well. Another fun thing about them from an animation perspective is that they walk like camels (which would also be a good inclusion), moving the legs on the same side together.

Delusional Dreamer

Dreamer of Delusional Dreams
Sep 29, 2016
The Moon.
steamcommunity.com
I realised I never mentioned them in this thread. Google Racka sheep.
Then just gaze at those horns...
I thought they would be normal horns but more elegant, what I saw instead was twisted and disorted.
Here is just a suggestion.... Chevrotain.
Maybe this sounds stupid or something but I really want to pet that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redness