Them's Fightin' Nerds

Sigmath Bits

Mmmmm, delicious baked crowdfunds.
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
I'll be honest, I made this thread mostly for the pun, but I'm genuinely interested: how many of you out there are nerds or geeks?

I'm assuming we're all geeks here or some sort (whether it being Lawyer Friendly Equines, or Fighting Games, what have you), but what specific cliques has TFH attracted? Do we have Anime fans, or MOBA, MMORPers, perhaps you really love arts and crafts? Perhaps have a favourite movie series (Star wars?). What do you Geek out about?

And what about our Nerds? Got any Calculus and Trigonometry lovers? Love math in general (like myself)?
Perhaps you know every line of Shakespeare's "McBeth," or love to get deep into cinematography: close-ups, pan-shots, etc.

Discuss below: what things do you have a deep knowledge in and hype about other than TFH? :)

Feel free to discuss and talk about these interest and where you intersect with each other among the comments.

Last edited:

D96

Michigan Wolverines Fanatic
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Michigan
www.reddit.com
In general I love video games, but there's a few games that I could just talk on and on about. Halo, Fallout, Mass Effect, The Elder Scrolls, and a few more I can't think of right now. I love reading into the lore of all those series and just seeing how their universes click. I think I've wasted way too much time jumping into the specific wikis for those games...

Anyways, I'm also a pretty big fan of Lawyer Friendly Equines. I enjoy the show a lot, but I don't really interact with the community. Still, I keep up to date with everything and check out fan works pretty regularly.

The last thing I really geek out about is college football. Everything about it is just so interesting to me; obviously the games themselves are great, but there's so much more to enjoy as well. History, stats, politics, recruiting, traditions, analyses, and what-ifs are all fantastic.

I'd be more than happy to talk to anyone about any of those things all day, so I guess I'm a pretty big geek about them!

Reactions: Sigmath Bits

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
We're all in a niche corner of the internet where the primary purpose of this board is to cater to those that threw money at, or at least were interested in, an as of yet unfinished game about cloven herbivores duking it out.

I think it is fairly safe to say we're all some sort of geek or nerd, whether open or closeted about it IRL. These days it's sort of 'cool' to be a geek or nerd about something or other at least so long as society at large would consider you 'normal' or 'above average' in other respects.

SquiddyWiddy

Your Local Squid
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
I can admit to being somewhat of a Nintendo geek. What can I say? They put out a lot of good games that just manage to keep me thinking and talking about it for days and weeks. They're pretty much what defined a majority of my childhood. I admire everything about them, from the company's history to the secret behind the development of consoles and games they made. I used to spew out random trivia about the company and their games from time to time, but haven't really done so in a while. I have plenty of posters and figures based on their properties, and even collect the magazines (I've got a bunch of Nintendo Power and Nintendo Force issues). And of course I won a butt load of their games and consoles, with the Game Boy advance perhaps being my favorite. Basically, Nintendo is just pretty awesome to me :)

I'm also pretty into comics (mainly Marvel and Image), but i haven't really reached the same nerdy levels as I have Nintneod games yet. I'm trying to remedy that by reading a bunch of comics that are considered by many to be the most memorable (currently reading the original Secret Wars, and will be moving onto the X-men comics afterwards).

I'm also very much into Lawyer Friendly Equines, but that's more of a closeted interest to me (irl anyways). Online I can talk away about it if given the right time and environment though.

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas

Video Games. I grew up as a Nintendo child but have since expanded to Playstation and PC gaming. Picked up my first NES controller at the age of 2 to make Samus jump around and probably not much else, then progressed from there. I am, unfortunately, a generation behind on my consoles, but I still keep up with news and plan to get a PS4 and Wii U "eventually." But yeah, all video games in general fall under the purview of my nerdiness. Except sports simulators. Blegh.

Tabletop. I love classic board games like Backgammon and Go. I love modern board games like Catan and Carcassonne. I've tried my hand and pen-and-paper RPGs (though I've sadly never actually gotten to play D&D). I love trading card games like Magic, Yu-Gi-Oh, and even the Lawyer Friendly Equines card game. I just really like games.

Anime. I first figured out what anime was when Toonami became a thing on Cartoon Network. I had watched Speed Racer and Ronin Warriors and maybe DBZ before then, but it never occurred to me that those were from Japan and had a collective label. When I went off to college, my roommate introduced me to Bit Torrent, fansubs, and Naruto. Things snowballed from there. I torrented way too much anime over the next few years and eventually guilted myself into buying everything I had downloaded where possible.

Cartoons. For a time I became disillusioned with Western animation, but then stuff like Adventure Time came around, and I fell back in love with cartoons. Lawyer Friendly Equines became a big part of my life after I was talked into finally giving it a try, and there are now several others that I either love (Steven Universe, Gravity Falls) or want to watch (Star vs the Forces of Evil, RWBY). Then of course there are the movies by Disney and Pixar and whoever else that would take too long to cover within the scope of this post.

Manga. I have a lot of manga. Started with just Rurouni Kenshin when I got a bookstore gift card for one birthday, now...I don't even want to count how many volumes I currently have. A lot. Mostly shounen and a bit of seinen. Used to read scanlations online, but now I primarily just buy physical copies.

Sci-fi/Fantasy. I like books about things that could never happen. "Literary fiction" holds relatively little of my interest. I love me some Hitchhiker's Guide, Foundation, Robots, Myth Adventures, Dresden Files, Codex Alera, Ender, Dune, Wheel of Time, Percy Jackson, Harry Potter, Mistborn, Hobbit, etc.

Math. I was one of the math kids up through high school. I was that guy people came to for help on Geometry homework. Then I got to college and took Calculus, and math and I had a falling out. I still love math in general and often find myself calculating things for fun; I'm just glad I don't have to do it for school credit anymore.

Music. Took piano lessons from ages 7-17 and still play a little bit now and then. Played various saxophones in band from ages 10-17. Tried learning guitar when I was 12 with modest success. Hated choir classes in school, but I'm a reasonably good singer.

I could probably come up with more, but this is already longer than I anticipated, so I'll just stop there.

tl;dr - I am a big ol' nerd.

Sigmath Bits

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
Spoiler: What sort of nerd am I?
xD Hahaha, I was aware it was a bug question, but this is sort of what I wanted: a big screed of text where everyone can just gush about their favourite things.

I think an obvious trend is that we all love video games, which was kind of obvious xD Seeing a couple of Nintendo. So far nothing too out there, personally it'd be cool to hear if anyone is just obsessed with knitting or something sort of unique like that.

Well anyhoof, I suppose I should answer my own question, so...
Interestingly, I'm not actually super obsessed with videos games (blasphemy!) with a few acceptions, but I still love them. My exceptions sort of tie into a second thing I love and that's retro. I looooove retro and old 8-Bit-graphic looking games, or old games from my childhood. So anything like that always Spikes my interest ;3
So from that, I love Bugs Bunny and Crash: Time Busters; Spyro, the original PS1 trilogy; Crash bandicoot, the original PS1 trilogy; Sly Cooper, the original ... trilogy; Rachet and Clank ... the - you get the idea xD
Although I'm fairly sure a lot of people like these games as well, I'm the sort of person that goes back and plays Spyro 2 to 100% multiple times and literally never get's bored of it.

I mean, I'm completely OBSESSED with Lawyer Friendly Equines. It usually consumes my life if I let it (though being a Uni student, I can't allow that to happen). And I have collected a considerable amount of merch. Though I wish I could rival anything like Immatoonlink levels. I'm literally just completely open with this, irl or not. I wear my pony shirts, my merch is eye-shot visible as soon as you walk in. Personally, I have the motto to never hide yourself from others. If they dislike you or what you like, that's their issue. And the friends I find are always supportive, understanding, or at least accepting; I've never been bullied for it (I realise I'm maybe lucky for that? Or maybe it's an NZ thing, I've literally never gotten any notable flack). And, again, if you are that open especially in liking something like Lawyer Friendly Equines, you're only going to be able to make friends like that, aren't you? So another big reason I wear it loud and proud (Though I don't be obnoxious about it, it's just there and I only talk about it with non-bronies if they bring it up).

I think the only last thing of interest to mention is my inherent LOVE of math. I have always loved math and always will, for me it's just very elegant (almost beautiful sometimes ... just personally). I love to learn it, I love to teach it, I love to do it. But then again, I love learning in general. I actually taught myself Calculus in NZ-year 10 I think ^^; (That's equivalent to Fourth Form?) But yeah, it's always sad for me to hear personally when someone, especially who liked math, has a "falling out" with it, or begins to find it too hard ... usually it's not actually too hard, it's just they're not taught well enough, so I usually like to do my best to aid friends and what-not with math.

Oh, and lastly I love Classical music (though I enjoy all music in general to death) and also have played Piano for maybe the past 12 years xD That's another important one to me I almost forgot.

TheOneZeelOne

Don't be afraid of the dark
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Gadsden, AL
I've been into Lawyer Friendly Equines since midway through the second season and it's really only intensified from there. Probably wouldn't be inaccurate to call me a gaming nerd too though not exactly like, anything specific...

Kiiiind of a growing anime nerd as well, I guess? I was way the hell into DBZ when I was a kid and in recent years I therefore became quite a fan of TeamFourStar's work. I haven't actually seen a lot of works other than that but I'm almost all the way through the original Mobile Suit Gundam now as I've been marathoning that, so slowly building that.

Like D96 I'm also a pretty big college football guy, have been since like 2007. Of course I live in Alabama so that's kind of a prerequisite, really it was a bit odd that it took me until my teen years. But yeah, been fortunate enough to follow along with the Crimson Tide over their most recent dynasty~

I listen to music constantly, but that feels like a bit of a generic thing to list, everybody loves music. Alice In Chains is my favorite band, second probably being The Offspring. So obviously mostly a rock guy, but I'm actually cool with a lot of genres. Anything done well, I can appreciate, really.

More than probably anything else though I am an enormous wrestling fan, have been for a good ten years now. Got a very small group of friends that I'm watching with all the time. Been more varied in the last couple of years. WWE, NXT, ROH, recently a lot of New Japan. Lucha Underground however is absolutely my favorite, best product there's ever been as far as I'm concerned.

I think that about covers it. I like to think I have varied interests... ^^'

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
Oh! How could I forget:

RPG Maker. Same people who made Fighter Maker, I believe. First discovered this "no programming knowledge required" WYSIWYG program in the early 2000's after playing an Earthbound fan game on Starmen.net. I've started countless game projects over the years, but only two can be played to any kind of conclusion, and I wouldn't consider either of them complete. Still, I enjoy fiddling with the thing, coming up with stories and game systems and such. It was also the impetus that got me started on message boards. I joined a tiny forum in order to enter a game making contest, met people from larger websites, and migrated multiple times since RPG Maker forums tended to be numerous but short-lived.

So far nothing too out there, personally it'd be cool to hear if anyone is just obsessed with knitting or something sort of unique like that.
Not to the level of obsession, but I did attempt to get into sewing for a time, mostly so that I could make Lawyer Friendly Equines plushies. Got myself a combination sewing/embroidery machine, learned various types of hand-stitching from YouTube, still have boxes filled with various colors of fleece. I've completed one, and there are three more incomplete ponies staring at me as I type this. It's been a few years since, and I barely do anything with my sewing knowledge, but I've still somehow become "that guy who knows how to sew," and people will sometimes bring me things to repair or alter.

Stridershy

The King Of Goat Style
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
The Place Where Goats Are
Huuuuuuuuge fan of pro wrestling. Not just WWE, but Ring Of Honor, Lucha Underground, New Japan Pro Wrestling, and a whole ton of the old NWA days when wrestling had territories.

Which is one of the main reasons why I love Beowulf in Skullgirls, just one giant love letter to pro wrestling, you give me the time, I could list every reference Beowulf makes to wrestling.

TheOneZeelOne

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Gadsden, AL
Huuuuuuuuge fan of pro wrestling. Not just WWE, but Ring Of Honor, Lucha Underground, New Japan Pro Wrestling, and a whole ton of the old NWA days when wrestling had territories.

Which is one of the main reasons why I love Beowulf in Skullgirls, just one giant love letter to pro wrestling, you give me the time, I could list every reference Beowulf makes to wrestling.
Might not really get another chance to ask, so might as well; who might your favorite wrestler be?

My very first was Chris Jericho, I latched onto him immediately and I've stayed pretty loyal to it. For more active sorts today though... I'd probably just go with all of New Day.

I figure it's okay to also like, discuss these interests here.

Stridershy

The King Of Goat Style
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
The Place Where Goats Are
That's a pretty hard choice, because there's a lot of good wrestlers out there. I actually brought this up in conversation with someone who dropped out of watching WWE, and told him that if there was ever a time to get back into watching wrestling, its now.

That said, my favorite wrestler today is a tie between Shinsuke Nakamura, Kenny Omega, and Jay Lethal. My all time favorite is easily Terry Funk.

Sigmath Bits

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
RPG Maker.
Oh yes! RPG maker is actually a pretty neat tool, and if you put time in to make a lot of your own assets, you can make some pretty awesome games out of it. Personally, I like a coding level of control, but if you are just making an RPG, RPG maker (expectedly) pretty much does litterally everything you need.

I've started countless game projects over the years, but only two can be played to any kind of conclusion, and I wouldn't consider either of them complete. Still, I enjoy fiddling with the thing, coming up with stories and game systems and such.
Oh that's pretty cool: I'd love to have a play at them if you still have access to them? I remember learning some RPG maker simply because my brother wanted to make a game with it (that is, I had to learn to help him out), so I have experience, but never have tried to make anything in it myself.

I figure it's okay to also like, discuss these interests here.
Yep, that's perfectly fine. I might just edit that into the thread description real quick.

D96

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Michigan
www.reddit.com
I've been into Lawyer Friendly Equines since midway through the second season and it's really only intensified from there. Probably wouldn't be inaccurate to call me a gaming nerd too though not exactly like, anything specific...

Kiiiind of a growing anime nerd as well, I guess? I was way the hell into DBZ when I was a kid and in recent years I therefore became quite a fan of TeamFourStar's work. I haven't actually seen a lot of works other than that but I'm almost all the way through the original Mobile Suit Gundam now as I've been marathoning that, so slowly building that.

Like D96 I'm also a pretty big college football guy, have been since like 2007. Of course I live in Alabama so that's kind of a prerequisite, really it was a bit odd that it took me until my teen years. But yeah, been fortunate enough to follow along with the Crimson Tide over their most recent dynasty~

I listen to music constantly, but that feels like a bit of a generic thing to list, everybody loves music. Alice In Chains is my favorite band, second probably being The Offspring. So obviously mostly a rock guy, but I'm actually cool with a lot of genres. Anything done well, I can appreciate, really.

More than probably anything else though I am an enormous wrestling fan, have been for a good ten years now. Got a very small group of friends that I'm watching with all the time. Been more varied in the last couple of years. WWE, NXT, ROH, recently a lot of New Japan. Lucha Underground however is absolutely my favorite, best product there's ever been as far as I'm concerned.

I think that about covers it. I like to think I have varied interests... ^^'
Tide fan since 2007? Man, you picked an awesome time to get interested in them! I actually like Alabama quite a bit (us evil teams gotta stick together, right?), so I haven't minded the dynasty as much as some people. With another #1 recruiting class under his belt, I can't see Saban taking a step back (though I'm not certain how their postions are after graduation/the draft); Alabama is probably my early pick for the championship.

I also watched a lot of DBZ as a kid, then I got back into it when DBZ Kai came out. Then I found TeamFourStar's stuff, and now I'm firmly back into being a fan of DBZ. People around me are really into anime, but I haven't had a chance to really check out other shows.

TheOneZeelOne

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Gadsden, AL
That's a pretty hard choice, because there's a lot of good wrestlers out there. I actually brought this up in conversation with someone who dropped out of watching WWE, and told him that if there was ever a time to get back into watching wrestling, its now.

That said, my favorite wrestler today is a tie between Shinsuke Nakamura, Kenny Omega, and Jay Lethal. My all time favorite is easily Terry Funk.
I assume you've seen Tana/Omega? Amazing stuff, gotta think Omega's gonna be their top heel for quite some time to come.

TheOneZeelOne

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Gadsden, AL
Tide fan since 2007? Man, you picked an awesome time to get interested in them! I actually like Alabama quite a bit (us evil teams gotta stick together, right?), so I haven't minded the dynasty as much as some people. With another #1 recruiting class under his belt, I can't see Saban taking a step back (though I'm not certain how their postions are after graduation/the draft); Alabama is probably my early pick for the championship.

I also watched a lot of DBZ as a kid, then I got back into it when DBZ Kai came out. Then I found TeamFourStar's stuff, and now I'm firmly back into being a fan of DBZ. People around me are really into anime, but I haven't had a chance to really check out other shows.
Glad to hear it. I don't really have a problem with Michigan either. Not that I've uh had to recently, ;) but I don't mind seeing them back on the rise again. Jim Harbaugh seems like a very fun, deranged individual, so I'm glad to have him around~

Mostly Bama just needs to find their quarterback again for the third year in a row. Which is a bit of a nuisance, I'd love to get some stability there, but I mean they hardly need an elite one to win obviously, so I'm not that worried. ^^

TheOneZeelOne

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Gadsden, AL
I have not, sadly. But I do agree. Omega's going to be a star, its a matter of time before he's the IWGP Heavyweight Champion.
Yeah, I'm glad to see it happening for him, definitely a long time coming. I've been quite enamored with him ever since his match with the blowup doll. :p

Reactions: Stridershy

Sigmath Bits

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
Not to the level of obsession, but I did attempt to get into sewing for a time, mostly so that I could make Lawyer Friendly Equines plushies. Got myself a combination sewing/embroidery machine, learned various types of hand-stitching from YouTube, still have boxes filled with various colors of fleece. I've completed one, and there are three more incomplete ponies staring at me as I type this. It's been a few years since, and I barely do anything with my sewing knowledge, but I've still somehow become "that guy who knows how to sew," and people will sometimes bring me things to repair or alter.
(Forgot to just append this with my last post)
Oh wow really? That's super neat. I've always wanted to try my hand (hoof?) at plush making. I remember doing textiles back in primary (we had like a thing where every Wednesday we got to take like high school classes, it was real fun), so I've done some sewing, and I remember making an apron, and it was real fun.
Knitting was actually just a random example, just I've always done some knitting, but, again, only made like a scarf ^^;

xD "That guy who knows how to sew" doesn't sound like a bad title at all. I'm certain it comes really in handy from time to time.

D96

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Michigan
www.reddit.com
Glad to hear it. I don't really have a problem with Michigan either. Not that I've uh had to recently, ;) but I don't mind seeing them back on the rise again. Jim Harbaugh seems like a very fun, deranged individual, so I'm glad to have him around~

Mostly Bama just needs to find their quarterback again for the third year in a row. Which is a bit of a nuisance, I'd love to get some stability there, but I mean they hardly need an elite one to win obviously, so I'm not that worried. ^^
The fact that more than half of the headlines about Harbaugh sound like they could be satire is just hilarious to me, though I can easily see why people could dislike him. Thanks to him I (hopefully) don't have to suffer through any more awful seasons for a while; hopefully Michigan can meet Bama in the playoffs this year!

It's kind of incredible that Alabama doesn't have a really great QB on hand; I mean, like you said, it hasn't really been necessary, but it's just kind of strange that there hasn't been one. I'm assuming that Bama's DLine is gonna be monstrous again, and the other positions should also be good. I don't care for any of the SEC West teams beside Bama, so I'd enjoy watching them trample over those guys :)

I'm curious, do you think there'll be much change from Smart to Pruitt? I've always heard that Saban is a defensive coach, so I'm guessing he wouldn't let it drop off too much, but I'm wondering if there'll be any scheme changes or something like that.

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
Oh yes! RPG maker is actually a pretty neat tool, and if you put time in to make a lot of your own assets, you can make some pretty awesome games out of it. Personally, I like a coding level of control, but if you are just making an RPG, RPG maker (expectedly) pretty much does litterally everything you need.
They've added various forms of coding to the different versions over time. XP implemented RGSS, and the newest one uses Javascript, with the ability to install plugins made by other users. There are some fancy things you can do with it now.

Oh that's pretty cool: I'd love to have a play at them if you still have access to them? I remember learning some RPG maker simply because my brother wanted to make a game with it (that is, I had to learn to help him out), so I have experience, but never have tried to make anything in it myself.
Ha. Well. If you feel brave, you can try the one that I made for a single-dungeon contest in RM2K3. Considering the nature of the context and some missing content, It is quite short. I had plenty of fun making it though, such as it is. Here's a link. You'll need the RTP to run the game, else it will be missing graphics and sounds and won't run.

The other game was made purely as a device for revealing the winners of a "member of the year" contest on another forum I help administrate. Playing it for yourself wouldn't have much impact on its own, but we did save a copy of the stream if you're curious. There is at least one overt pony reference fairly early on.

EDIT: Video link removed since I noticed it was unlisted.

Last edited:

TheOneZeelOne

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Gadsden, AL
The fact that more than half of the headlines about Harbaugh sound like they could be satire is just hilarious to me, though I can easily see why people could dislike him. Thanks to him I (hopefully) don't have to suffer through any more awful seasons for a while; hopefully Michigan can meet Bama in the playoffs this year!

It's kind of incredible that Alabama doesn't have a really great QB on hand; I mean, like you said, it hasn't really been necessary, but it's just kind of strange that there hasn't been one. I'm assuming that Bama's DLine is gonna be monstrous again, and the other positions should also be good. I don't care for any of the SEC West teams beside Bama, so I'd enjoy watching them trample over those guys :)

I'm curious, do you think there'll be much change from Smart to Pruitt? I've always heard that Saban is a defensive coach, so I'm guessing he wouldn't let it drop off too much, but I'm wondering if there'll be any scheme changes or something like that.
Well they certainly recruit them well enough, they've had about as many high level recruits there as any other position. Best I can tell there's just a weakness in the staff, not a good enough QB coach to get people ready. I've had a thought for some time that some people on the staff get by on being ace recruiters more than practical results. It's about the only reason I can think of for keeping the same special teams coach for so long... oy. :p But yeah aside from that, I'm not really concerned about a particular position.

And well Pruitt's a former Alabama defensive coach as it is, he was there for Saban's first three titles with Alabama. So he certainly knows the same schemes and best I can tell the familiarity there is the key thing, so I don't imagine it'll bring that much noticeable change. Which for that side of the ball is absolutely a good thing~

And I'd be glad to have that match-up! Maybe I'm weird but I kinda prefer big competitive games.

Sigmath Bits

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
They've added various forms of coding to the different versions over time. XP implemented RGSS, and the newest one uses Javascript, with the ability to install plugins made by other users. There are some fancy things you can do with it now.
Oh really? Oh, that's actually pretty awesome. I dig it. Well at least now I know I could have that level of control have I use RPG maker.

Ha. Well. If you feel brave, you can try the one that I made for a single-dungeon contest in RM2K3. Considering the nature of the context and some missing content, It is quite short. I had plenty of fun making it though, such as it is. Here's a link. You'll need the RTP to run the game, else it will be missing graphics and sounds and won't run.
owo Awesome, thank you very much. I'll see if I can get this "RTP" thing and get it to work, should be fun :)

The other game was made purely as a device for revealing the winners of a "member of the year" contest on another forum I help administrate. Playing it for yourself wouldn't have much impact on its own, but we did save a copy of the stream if you're curious. There is at least one overt pony reference fairly early on.
Ah, that was really cool way to reveal them. I like it. Oh wow, how much effort went into it? It looks pretty lengthy and heartily made. I'm quite impressed already owo

I always find it really, really hard to find the effort or time to fully finish any game/project I start. I end up with just lots of files of very incomplete, just started things with not much to show.

D96

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Michigan
www.reddit.com
Well they certainly recruit them well enough, they've had about as many high level recruits there as any other position. Best I can tell there's just a weakness in the staff, not a good enough QB coach to get people ready. I've had a thought for some time that some people on the staff get by on being ace recruiters more than practical results. It's about the only reason I can think of for keeping the same special teams coach for so long... oy. :p But yeah aside from that, I'm not really concerned about a particular position.

And well Pruitt's a former Alabama defensive coach as it is, he was there for Saban's first three titles with Alabama. So he certainly knows the same schemes and best I can tell the familiarity there is the key thing, so I don't imagine it'll bring that much noticeable change. Which for that side of the ball is absolutely a good thing~

And I'd be glad to have that match-up! Maybe I'm weird but I kinda prefer big competitive games.
Oh yeah, I forgot that Pruitt was on those Saban teams (I remembered that he had some sort of Alabama connection but I thought it was as a player or something)! From what I've heard he's a really solid coach so there shouldn't be any problem there.

And I get your pain about the recruiting. During the Hoke era we had so many fantastic classes yet still ended up being mediocre or worse. I've been keeping an eye on Penn State since they're in the same division and it seems like they've got the same problem, at least IMO. Franklin is an excellent recruiter and had some good years at Vandy, but in the games he's played against Michigan, his coaching was just...bad. For PSU's sake they better get that fixed.

Big games are really awesome when my team's not playing; if I have no bias for a team then I'll just sit back and enjoy it, but if Michigan is playing then I'll yell and swear and have a damn heart attack. It's frustrating but that's part of loving the game!

And yeah, I feel your special teams pain :(

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
Ah, that was really cool way to reveal them. I like it. Oh wow, how much effort went into it? It looks pretty lengthy and heartily made. I'm quite impressed already owo

I always find it really, really hard to find the effort or time to fully finish any game/project I start. I end up with just lots of files of very incomplete, just started things with not much to show.
I spent about a month making the game, and you can tell by the midway point and especially near the end that I was still trying to finish things up while they were getting the Twitch stream ready. xp

Also I noticed after I posted that video link that it's unlisted, so I'll probably remove it before long. I'm rewatching it myself first, though.

Sigmath Bits

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
I spent about a month making the game, and you can tell by the midway point and especially near the end that I was still trying to finish things up while they were getting the Twitch stream ready. xp

Also I noticed after I posted that video link that it's unlisted, so I'll probably remove it before long. I'm rewatching it myself first, though.
Yeah, it definitely shows. Pretty much making any game will take a month or more (Unless you're doing Lumen Dare xD). I'm still watching it actually, so I'll probably see that later through it.

And I noticed it was unlisted too. I better make sure I finish it soon then, before you remove it xD

Saikyo Kid

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Oh god so many hours put into MOBAs... I've spent a good year or two in LoL, tried my hand in Smite once or twice, but DOTA'll always be my go to for life. Not even including my years of high school put into the original one, I've got over 1700 hours put into number 2 whiiiiich isn't much compared to some of the other guys out there but considering my second most played game is at... apparently almost 180 hours, it's a decent chunk of my free time. Turns out I wound up making a pretty good bottom rung support cuz I can get away with goofy plays and nobody cares as much since you just need to buy wards once in a while.

Most all video games I'm pretty geeky for, honestly. With the exception of like, COD or non-arcade racers. LOOOOVE me some Dark Souls though. Done the boxer build for both of 'em, sucked hard in all kinds of PvP, but I've got that PvE game on lock down at least. I still enjoy doing a run with a different type of weapon or trying something new out each time.

Music. Took piano lessons from ages 7-17 and still play a little bit now and then. Played various saxophones in band from ages 10-17. Tried learning guitar when I was 12 with modest success. Hated choir classes in school, but I'm a reasonably good singer.
But the biggest question is what sax was your favorite.

I'm a HUGE Psychology nerd. It's what I studied in college and I've always been super intrigued about how the mind works. I'm also mega into Classics. More specifically, I love translating Latin text and learning about Greek mythology. What I'd like to start doing is reading into Norse mythology. :)

I geek out about art. I'm always drawing something and have been doing it for as long as I can remember. I love to talk about different techniques, especially comic style! In addition, I'm a fan of Lawyer Friendly Equines and Marvel movies (occasionally I'll look at YouTube reviews of some of the comics, but I've not read them). Last, horses are my life. I LOVE to ride and study various breeds! ^^

Reactions: Chaos

Saikyo Kid

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Baritone fo'evah!

My alto felt like such a toy after growing accustomed to the larger sax.
Attaboy! Although, I'm merely a simply tenor in comparison, but as long as you know the joy of having an instrument that's larger than most of the kids in the band.

Reactions: Stars

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
I love anime and cartoons! Steven Universe is my top show right now, it's just so good. Peridot being my favourite character. Also Over the Garden Wall is amazing.

Quite a bit of wonderful cartoons out right now, I hope to see more in the future. ^^

I'm also newly into tea, so I guess you could consider me a tea nerd now ;P It's amazing.
Ooh, forgot about Over the Garden Wall. That thing is weird, but I enjoyed it and plan to make other people watch it with me.

Tea is wonderful. When I worked at Starbucks, tea varieties interested me more than different blends of coffee, and I made sure to try every one we had.

Sigmath Bits

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
I'm also newly into tea, so I guess you could consider me a tea nerd now ;P It's amazing.
Yes. Tea is basically my life blood. It basically cures anything for me (I mean, besides actual illness). Feeling tired, unable to concentrate, feeling generally 'bleh,' or bored? Tea fixes that for me. Man, I love tea.

Last edited:

Shadowking58

Ryuu ga waga teki wo kurau!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New York
www.youtube.com
Was watching the Series Finale for Gravity Falls this morning (minor spoilers ahead) and Soos said "Does it have any gun-swords? I watch a lot of anime and, uh, trust me, you're gonna want some gun-swords." And I was like "Wait, what?" *boom* mind officially blown. Cuz I used to watch a lot of anime too

Feanor

Proud Velveeta
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Earth
Lawyer Friendly Equines: FiM has to take number 1 here ofcourse. Outside that, the Fantasy genre in general (Game of Thrones, LOTR, The First Law, Thomas Covenant). That aspect is a lot of what attracted me both to Pony, and subsequently to this game. I like to take cartoon things like these waay to seriously and discuss and write overly-ambitious fanfiction about them in a Military Fantasy setting!

I am also somewhat a fan of the Warcraft universe, although Blizz has made quite a mess of it these days.

Edit: Forgot Football! I stick purely to NFL, however :(

D96

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Michigan
www.reddit.com
Lawyer Friendly Equines: FiM has to take number 1 here ofcourse. Outside that, the Fantasy genre in general (Game of Thrones, LOTR, The First Law, Thomas Covenant). That aspect is a lot of what attracted me both to Pony, and subsequently to this game. I like to take cartoon things like these waay to seriously and discuss and write overly-ambitious fanfiction about them in a Military Fantasy setting!

I am also somewhat a fan of the Warcraft universe, although Blizz has made quite a mess of it these days.

Edit: Forgot Football! I stick purely to NFL, however :(
The epic fantasy genre just meshes really well with Lawyer Friendly Equines, huh? I always like looking at epic drawing people make of it.

I know what you mean when it comes to Warcraft. I started playing Warcraft 3 and loved the universe, but WoW just made it so...convoluted? I don't know if that's the word I want, but man, that whole universe a mess now, like you said.

And I gotta ask, which NFL team do you pull for? I enjoy watching NFL games, but I'm not really attached to one team. I just can't get as passionate about it as I do with college football, but it's still very entertaining.

Feanor

Proud Velveeta
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Earth
The epic fantasy genre just meshes really well with Lawyer Friendly Equines, huh? I always like looking at epic drawing people make of it.

I know what you mean when it comes to Warcraft. I started playing Warcraft 3 and loved the universe, but WoW just made it so...convoluted? I don't know if that's the word I want, but man, that whole universe a mess now, like you said.

And I gotta ask, which NFL team do you pull for? I enjoy watching NFL games, but I'm not really attached to one team. I just can't get as passionate about it as I do with college football, but it's still very entertaining.
St.louis--- Errr, Los Angeles Rams! We're taking the West this year, damnit!

D96

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Michigan
www.reddit.com
St.louis--- Errr, Los Angeles Rams! We're taking the West this year, damnit!
Haha, that's definitely gonna take time to get used to. I'm still surprised that actually went through; I had always heard rumors or talk or whatever about it and now they're actually moving.

But I can't say I know much about the state of Rams, how feasible does that look this year? I'm guessing the Cards will still be solid and Pete's Seahawks are usually gonna be a threat. Chip Kelly is a solid get for San Fran, but, uh, I'm not sure that it's gonna work out, especially considering the reason Harbaugh got canned (Michigan thanks you, Mr. York!)...

Feanor

Proud Velveeta
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Earth
Haha, that's definitely gonna take time to get used to. I'm still surprised that actually went through; I had always heard rumors or talk or whatever about it and now they're actually moving.

But I can't say I know much about the state of Rams, how feasible does that look this year? I'm guessing the Cards will still be solid and Pete's Seahawks are usually gonna be a threat. Chip Kelly is a solid get for San Fran, but, uh, I'm not sure that it's gonna work out, especially considering the reason Harbaugh got canned (Michigan thanks you, Mr. York!)...
Rams are at a pretty solid point actually. One of the best past rushes in the game right now, and an up and coming secondary to match. Hell, we managed to win 7 games almost solely on defense this year. Offense we got the running game down with Gurley, and Tavon Austin is a beast at reciever. Our one gaping flaw is just the QB position. Foles was a major bust, and we will almost certainly be looking to the draft for that category (unless we get some ole timer like Manning or Rivers to come over.)

As far as the division...Yeah, it's one of the tougher ones, but I don't think San Fran will be a problem for us anytime soon, way too much rebuilding needed there. The Hawks we swept, and for whatever reason don't seem to have a lot of trouble with, but they are certainly a threat. The Cards is where the real trouble lies. They have a monster team right now, and I had them pegged for champions this year. I can only hope they drop off some next season. I have hope for atleast a Wild-card appearance though. In the end, our season may be made or broken by our draft.

D96

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Michigan
www.reddit.com
Rams are at a pretty solid point actually. One of the best past rushes in the game right now, and an up and coming secondary to match. Hell, we managed to win 7 games almost solely on defense this year. Offense we got the running game down with Gurley, and Tavon Austin is a beast at reciever. Our one gaping flaw is just the QB position. Foles was a major bust, and we will almost certainly be looking to the draft for that category (unless we get some ole timer like Manning or Rivers to come over.)

As far as the division...Yeah, it's one of the tougher ones, but I don't think San Fran will be a problem for us anytime soon, way too much rebuilding needed there. The Hawks we swept, and for whatever reason don't seem to have a lot of trouble with, but they are certainly a threat. The Cards is where the real trouble lies. They have a monster team right now, and I had them pegged for champions this year. I can only hope they drop off some next season. I have hope for atleast a Wild-card appearance though. In the end, our season may be made or broken by our draft.
Interesting, I wasn't aware that the Rams had such a great defense. Who are some guys to keep an eye on for defense?

As for the draft, there's some decent QB prospects coming out of college. I like Jared Goff out of Cal, but he'll probably be gone before the Rans pick. Is QB the number one need or are they likely to grab someone for a different position first (maybe 'cause they think their QB choice will fall a little later)?

And since you mentioned it, I actually do remember the Rams taking down Seattle last season. I wouldn't mind seeing them in one of the wild card spots; from what little I know, it seems like the NFC won't be too difficult (and that's mainly based on results from last year, I have no clue on some of those teams).

Feanor

Proud Velveeta
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Earth
Well, Aaron Donald was in the running for DPOY, and matched with Robert Quinn at end they are a top-tier combo. Janoris Jenkins is a great corner and Trumaine Johnson was top 5 in interceptions this year.

I can see them taking a LB first if there are no great QB candidates left, or they think they can wait. We just released our only good one, as well our tight end a few days ago. Interestingly, some of the top pick teams actually have QB covered this year though, what with Mariota in Tennessee and Winston in TB, so there is hope.

NFC wildcard was up for grabs forever last season, so if that is the case again, I think we can snatch one of 'em with some luck (and Quarterbacking).