Playable male characters

Cinnamaldehyde

DDR Savant
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 10, 2016
Lake Stevens
I'm not adverse to the idea of a male character or two, as long as they are fun to play, I don't think the gender really matters. Unless they're Beowulf, I hate Beowulf.
What's wrong with Beowulf?

I don't care about a male character or not, I just want a giraffe .
I mean, can you imagine a giraffe fighting in a game like this, it would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr_Sydney

Dapper_Paca
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
They could make the Giraffe younger like Pom to keep the hitbox a little smaller, I don't think a hitbox would be much harder as for Paprika this way.
I'm pretty sure even a young giraffe would be very tall not really solving the hitbox issue.

crispyruffles

Addicted to Skullgirls til this comes out
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I wouldn't mind a male character. Especially if he's anything like Beowulf. If they somehow implement a grappler into this game, I'll definitely be maining him.

sirbacon

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 5, 2016
Texas
I think it might be interesting to see Blitz from Velvet's backstory as a playable character. I'm not quite sure how that would work story-wise, though.

Other than that, I don't really have a strong opinion on the inclusion or exclusion of male characters.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Grappler, male, and we had talks about a dapper boar? Hmmmmmm
(this was actually inspired by a video:D)

Oh yeah, and I think it was already mentioned here, but during the crowfunding livestreams it was asked from Lauren if it will be an alway all-girl cast and she replied with a no. She only imagined the characters a female, so at start they will be female. But males can pop up.
I'll look it up a bit later.

Last edited:
Reactions: TwistedSheep

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Found it. At 17:00 There is a question about the possibility of a male dlc character, and the answer is simply "Absolutely" (Video should jump there automatically)

"It just so happened that the first characters are all female"
"We have plenty of ideas for a male DLC"
"No reason why not"

Reactions: sirbacon

Solario

I would rather expect a least a couple males in there, depending on the roster size it ends up with. Even if we're going for a female-dominated cast list (and with the six mane heroes all girls, how could we not be?), having a few secondary characters be male would be refreshing. It's not as thought there's an in-story reason why all the heroes of Fœnum have to be girls (unless there's some sort of prophecy shenanigans going on). Maybe a big bull moose with a grappler moveset makes an appearance? A fast-hitting ibex buck?

CasualMatt

Royal Squid Jester
Crowdfund Backer
I think the best way to do this would be to allow the players to unlock different characters as they progress though the story (IE Blitz from Velvet's Book of Lore entry). I would be FAR more interested in being able to play some Predator characters.

Found it. At 17:00 There is a question about the possibility of a male dlc character, and the answer is simply "Absolutely" (Video should jump there automatically)

"It just so happened that the first characters are all female"
"We have plenty of ideas for a male DLC"
"No reason why not"
Yeah, It's like Beowulf and Big Band from Skullgirls

Feb 22, 2016
On their Tumblr, they stated "We have a couple male ones already in mind if we get the opportunity to add post-release characters (they’re fabulous)."

Of course, the "they're fabulous" remark was probably just a joke, but how would you guys feel about that kind of male being playable? I personally wouldn't mind as long as he isn't stereotypical.

Nivek_Draco

I don't even care what my username means.
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
'MURICA
I'd like to ask opinions about male characters being implemented, would you look forward to a male character?
Personally I would but im not too sure if it would fit into the whole Foenum world thing. Looking forward to responses.
As long they're represented as full characters like the female characters are, not zero-dimensional idiots who do things for no reason and are likely written in Lauren's sleep.

Rick Sanchez

Feb 3, 2016
I want male characters just to avoid unfortunate implications. Can you imagine how people would react if if the only playable males were bad guys?

I mean, I've seen people call Lawyer Friendly Equines sexist, because the only major male characters are either...
A: Butt monkeys (like Spike)
B: Silent (like Big Macintosh)
C: Morons (like Snips and Snails)
D: Villains (like Discord)
E: Constantly in danger and needing help (like Shining Armor)

Reactions: Queezeey

TigerKirby215

I should be doing work right now
Crowdfund Backer
Mar 29, 2016
Well, Shining Armor is getting his character status gradually upgraded.
Spike to, but to a lesser extent.

Actually, heck. Even Big Mac got himself some characterization in Brotherhooves Social.

The show could've been seen as sexist before, but I'd question it if someone said it now.

Reactions: Rick Sanchez

Nivek_Draco

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
'MURICA
I want male characters just to avoid unfortunate implications. Can you imagine how people would react if if the only playable males were bad guys?

I mean, I've seen people call Lawyer Friendly Equines sexist, because the only major male characters are either...
A: Butt monkeys (like Spike)
B: Silent (like Big Macintosh)
C: Morons (like Snips and Snails)
D: Villains (like Discord)
I physically can not agree more on this. Even major reviewers like Silver Quill have made similar points. This, I have low expectations for male characters in TFH as it's character back stories are also made by Lauren Faust, but it doesn't really matter to me because the back stories of Fighting Game Characters were never important anyway.

Convalescence

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 8, 2016
While I'm not exactly sure that should be the reasoning, I agree with the sentiment. :p

I don't really see a need for male characters. I don't think the game loses anything intrinsically by not having any. If that's just the way it is, that's fine with me.

DeathTheGordon

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 5, 2016
Scotland
I'm not that fussed as long as the character/s is well written, but considering the amount of games where you can only play as a male or where most of the characters are male it makes a refreshing change to have a cast of characters that are all female. :)

Nivek_Draco

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
'MURICA
I'm confused. Do we really NEED any male characters. This could be an all-girl fighting game. Like Gals Fighter. It's sexier that way. :D
Actually, you're right. I would like to see how Anita Sarkeesian would complain about this game if no male characters came out.

I'm not that fussed as long as the character/s is well written, but considering the amount of games where you can only play as a male or where most of the characters are male it makes a refreshing change to have a cast of characters that are all female. :)
Yes, I would rather have no male characters than male characters that are nothing but comic relief and plot devices.

Moderator Note: Please refrain from multi-posting.

Manley_McDragonpuncher

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
Tulsa, OK
There are so much more good characters that can be explored if you have both genders
I don't really think there's any ideas that would be gender exclusive, especially with (partially) anthropomorphic animals. There are animals I'd like to see, but nothing that needs to be male or female. Besides, studies show that women like to see women in video games, and men generally don't care. So it's more marketable to have female characters.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
I don't really think there's any ideas that would be gender exclusive, especially with (partially) anthropomorphic animals. There are animals I'd like to see, but nothing that needs to be male or female. Besides, studies show that women like to see women in video games, and men generally don't care. So it's more marketable to have female characters.
Dapper boar. I'm not sure who came up with that idea, but it is rather gender-exlusive, acting pure gentlemanly is kind of a male thing.
Also, studies show.... But it only shows they like to see them in games, but not exclusively. At least form that single sentence. And it is silly to restrict yourself to a single gender anyways, it adds nothing to the game usually.

Manley_McDragonpuncher

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
Tulsa, OK
Dapper boar. I'm not sure who came up with that idea, but it is rather gender-exlusive, acting pure gentlemanly is kind of a male thing.
Also, studies show.... But it only shows they like to see them in games, but not exclusively. At least form that single sentence. And it is silly to restrict yourself to a single gender anyways, it adds nothing to the game usually.
Yes, but the point is. If women want to see women in games, and men don't care, then it's more logical to put more women in your games than men.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Yes, but the point is. If women want to see women in games, and men don't care, then it's more logical to put more women in your games than men.
Well this is not EA (I hope), so that few percent difference in sales will not be that important. And if the game is good, it will sell, character gender nonwithstanding.

CrpCrwls

This dim light which falls from the stars...
Feb 6, 2016
Well the character idea is interesting because it subvert some common negative stereotypes. However the character itself could be genderbend as a ladylike sow easily.