Playable male characters

Mr_Sydney

Dapper_Paca
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
I'd like to ask opinions about male characters being implemented, would you look forward to a male character?
Personally I would but im not too sure if it would fit into the whole Foenum world thing. Looking forward to responses.

BDNation

you wot m8?
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
if they were to add a male the animal of choice i prefer for them to choose would have to be a bull.

Paper Shadow

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Personally I would but im not too sure if it would fit into the whole Foenum world thing.
I'm not sure what you mean there, but I guess I don't mind if there is one or not. On one hand, it adds diversity to the roster. On the other, I know all-female casts is an archetype seen in fighting games. On the third hand, it really doesn't matter that much, as long as the character is interesting and likeable (or at least love to hate sort of character), the gender doesn't matter...

Although realistically whether we get one or not depends on the gender of the goat character, but on the Crowdfunding page the goat was referred to as "she", so I doubt that...

Reactions: Nadia

Nadia

Feb 4, 2016
Germany
Mhhh maybe an unlockable antagonist? I Don't think all Predators have to be Female too. :p

Mr_Sydney

Dapper_Paca
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
I'm not sure what you mean there, but I guess I don't mind if there is one or not. On one hand, it adds diversity to the roster. On the other, I know all-female casts is an archetype seen in fighting games. On the third hand, it really doesn't matter that much, as long as the character is interesting and likeable (or at least love to hate sort of character), the gender doesn't matter...

Although realistically whether we get one or not depends on the gender of the goat character, but on the Crowdfunding page the goat was referred to as "she", so I doubt that...
What im meaning to say is how the six main cast are all females, not sure how a male would fit into among the player roster, but i guess it wouldn't make much of a difference. Hoped the goat would be male but doubt it.

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
Skullgirls eventually got male characters despite story reasons for all the characters being female. Who can say what will happen with this game's roster.

Galaxy Heart

Caffeine-Based Life Form
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Down the ne'er-do-well.
Honestly, I don't think I would look forward to it.
Skullgirls eventually got male characters and it didn't really sit well with me personally. The entire thing was that it was supposed to be for story reasons and it was just kinda... discarded.

Reactions: Ambris

BDNation

you wot m8?
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
What im meaning to say is how the six main cast are all females, not sure how a male would fit into among the player roster, but i guess it wouldn't make much of a difference. Hoped the goat would be male but doubt it.
It really doesn't make a difference they can still possibly add a male character in as futur dlc if its really demanding even if they only Planned on makeing it an all female roster.

Sigmath Bits

Mmmmm, delicious baked crowdfunds.
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
I mean, I kind of like the idea of the all-female cast like it is currently (change, grrr), but I don't think I'd mind too much...
I think, just personally, as long as the character isn't really stereotypically male then I'm perfectly fine. Like, gender really doesn't matter at all, but when that gender becomes the characters, it does, and it's really detracting. But I doubt that would happen at all, so I'm open :)

Reactions: Ambris

Muro

Fight me in Skullgirls
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Poland
steamcommunity.com
The lack of love for Beowulf in this thread is saddening.
Skullgirls eventually got male characters despite story reasons for all the characters being female.
Skullgirls eventually got male characters and it didn't really sit well with me personally. The entire thing was that it was supposed to be for story reasons and it was just kinda... discarded.
Should be noted that at no point the cast of Skullgirls was *intended* to be and stay female-only. There's no plot conflict with that, considering that 1) the title does not refer to the playable cast and 2) even if guys can't wish on the Skullheart, they too can have an interest in destroying (Big Band/Beowulf) or acquiring (Brain Drain) it. That said, playable males were planned from the start, but characters higher on the priority list just so happened to be female.

From what I heard on the Mane6 streams, the situation is similar here. They'd like to eventually implement males, they're simply later down the line. I like that both developers avoid being pigeonholed into a camp here, neither pushing for an all-female cast nor desperately trying to evade it by including a token male character.

Doesn't matter much to me whether there's going to be male character or the cast remains female-only. The devs have a vision and they have the chance to express said vision without external pressure from a publisher - I'm looking forward to whatever they decide on roster-wise if they'll still be doing characters after the goat.

GLaD for you

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Fred with a mindless corrupted Oleander as the background character/support is the only idea I can think of at the time.
Probably won't happen.

Last edited:

Mighty Alicorn Hunter

Predator Representative of the Darkside
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The Council
Fred with a mindless corrupted Oleander as the background character/support is the only idea I can think of at the time.
Probably won't happen, but it's all I can think of at the time.
I think you're forgetting that this is an entire world full of different creatures, I'd assume at least some of them are male and know how to fight (which, looking at Pom, knowing how to fight doesn't seem to be a requirement)... To address the main question, I wouldn't mind if they kept it only female, but it would be nice to have a male character later on down the road.

Feanor

Proud Velveeta
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Earth
I'd have no problem with it. I think it would work well for a Predator character. Maybe a wolf. There is absolutely nothing in any of the lore to contradict this idea.

Feanor

Proud Velveeta
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Earth
Yep like that a real gentleboar pretty apologetic about fighting the others but seeing it as his duty to not have them carry such a large weight if they can't handle it (deciding that if they can't handle him they couldn't handle it)

Edit: that's just to justify him fighting them -3-
Melikes this idea, milord

Reactions: TwistedSheep

SloppyJoe403

Also known as Soctavia
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Iowa
Not that an all female cast bothers me, but I would like at least a few male characters.

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
Yep like that a real gentleboar pretty apologetic about fighting the others but seeing it as his duty to not have them carry such a large weight if they can't handle it (deciding that if they can't handle him they couldn't handle it)

Edit: that's just to justify him fighting them -3-
"Beg pardon, Milady, but I fear I must commandeer that key. Verily it is only proper that I be the one to waylay these voracious ruffians on behalf of this fair land of ours. Have at you."

TwistedSheep

A sort-of-artist
Backers' Beta Tester
"Beg pardon, Milady, but I fear I must commandeer that key. Verily it is only proper that I be the one to waylay these voracious ruffians on behalf of this fair land of ours. Have at you."
And victory
"Well I say, milady it seems you weren't up to snuff. *adjusts dapper hat*

Terribly sorry for resorting to such crude behavior do you need a hoof?"

Reactions: Feanor

Ambris

Wolf in Sheep's Clothing
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I am personally in favor of an all female cast, or at least a mostly female cast--akin to Lawyer Friendly Equines, where significant male characters are generally the exceptions. Faust generally favors mostly female casts (with good reason), so I imagine that even if some male characters are introduced, females will consistently remain predominant--and so long as that is the case, I'll be very happy. :D

Reactions: sirbacon

TheOneZeelOne

Don't be afraid of the dark
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Gadsden, AL
There is no particular reason for it being all-female cast so far aside from the roots of the game. In addition to the opening six of course coming from the Mane 6, they've said that other future characters are based off of what would've been DLC characters in the first game. Obviously an Lawyer Friendly Equines game is going to mostly female, and it seems they don't really want to change genders in the transition, so likely it'll have a similar ratio that Fighting is Magic's final roster would've had. Thus, why one of very few things we know of the goat is that it's also female, the original character that had that style probably was as well.

So, yeah, they'll be in eventually on that basis. I'm sure we'll get to the Big Mac equivalent at some point, might not be until then. :p

Last edited:

Hunter

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Why not a horse, too? Like just an earth pony...

I mean a regular horse XD Maybe a colt.

Super Zat

The Quack Up
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
I think there should be more playable males and actually, more fighters in general. (it's only the main 6+ goat right now) I'm not sure want any main characters to male, since that is something that makes TFH unique. I'm all for male fighters as playable only characters or are a secondary part of the storyline.

Hey! I got a weird but cool idea! What if after beating the game, you unlocked Rule 63 Mode?

DShou

Tianhuo is Best Longma
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
dshou.deviantart.com
The lack of love for Beowulf in this thread is saddening.

Should be noted that at no point the cast of Skullgirls was *intended* to be and stay female-only. There's no plot conflict with that, considering that 1) the title does not refer to the playable cast and 2) even if guys can't wish on the Skullheart, they too can have an interest in destroying (Big Band/Beowulf) or acquiring (Brain Drain) it. That said, playable males were planned from the start, but characters higher on the priority list just so happened to be female.

From what I heard on the Mane6 streams, the situation is similar here. They'd like to eventually implement males, they're simply later down the line. I like that both developers avoid being pigeonholed into a camp here, neither pushing for an all-female cast nor desperately trying to evade it by including a token male character.

Doesn't matter much to me whether there's going to be male character or the cast remains female-only. The devs have a vision and they have the chance to express said vision without external pressure from a publisher - I'm looking forward to whatever they decide on roster-wise if they'll still be doing characters after the goat.
I like Beowulf! He's my main!

I'm totally fine with an all-female cast, especially coming from both Touhou and Lawyer Friendly Equines which both have a major focus on female characters over male characters (Touhou only recognizing a single digit of official male characters out of the hundred characters, the males never being playable characters), so I'm quite used to it + I like the appeal. Just seems harder designing a male character overall.

I won't say no to the addition of male characters of course and I think it'd be great when the cast starts getting expanded upon. I'd like for there not to be just a single male addition however, at that point they'll look out of place. Throw in at least 2 I mean if it does become a thing!

Reactions: Nadia and Ambris

Mr_Sydney

Dapper_Paca
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
I won't say no to the addition of male characters of course and I think it'd be great when the cast starts getting expanded upon. I'd like for there not to be just a single male addition however, at that point they'll look out of place. Throw in at least 2 I mean if it does become a thing!
I think i agree with what you say here, it would be pretty out of place if they only added one male into the supposed cast of six female.

Bass Drop

That Sarcastic Pony
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Delaware, United States
A hundred times this. So glad that the game is theirs and theirs alone.
Next thing we know, its published by like Capcom (street fighter) or warner bros (mortal kombat) :p

Honestly, I wouldn't mind male characters, but if it messes with the story than hell no!

Last edited by a moderator:

SquiddyWiddy

Your Local Squid
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
If Skullgirls can get away with having a few males playable, then I don't see why TFH couldn't :)

JosephTaylorBass

Oddball Extraordinaire
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I wouldn't mind a male character, at the very least one.
I'd like some males if only for more diversity's sake and for the first I'd go with a small one maybe a really nice pig ( both referencing the saying men are pigs and subverting its meaning :d)
This is an awesome idea! I was gonna suggest just a plain old Spike proxy that could fill the roll for a male character but this is much better