New to forums or posting in general?

LLHero25

Master of Illogical Logic
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Bowie, MD
Greetings Everyone! Its time for a confession.

To be honest, when I pledged for this game and heard about the forums, I thought "Oh, that'll be nice for the social people to get together and talk. Hope they enjoy it." I've always been more of a lurker on websites like Reddit and YouTube and never commented on those sites since I thought I'd get buried by all of the millions of other responses and never really contribute to anything. Thanks to the smaller community of TFH, its been an awesome experience actually adding to a conversation instead of turning into white noise.

So how about you? New to forums and commenting yourself? Let us know!

Altashi

Never Was a Wiser
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Western Australia
Been in and out of quite a number. Helped work with a few too. Don't really hang around the large-scale communities like Reddit and whatever.

CosmicDashie

Dank may-mays
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Canadia
Basiclly its been a long time since ive been an active poster on a forum

Last time I actively browsed and posted was a long time ago on serebii.net forums.... those were good times

unless you count reddit, then i post every day for a long ass time

TwistedSheep

A sort-of-artist
Backers' Beta Tester
Greetings Everyone! Its time for a confession.

To be honest, when I pledged for this game and heard about the forums, I thought "Oh, that'll be nice for the social people to get together and talk. Hope they enjoy it." I've always been more of a lurker on websites like Reddit and YouTube and never commented on those sites since I thought I'd get buried by all of the millions of other responses and never really contribute to anything. Thanks to the smaller community of TFH, its been an awesome experience actually adding to a conversation instead of turning into white noise.

So how about you? New to forums and commenting yourself? Let us know!
Sort of new, I do normally mainly lurk most of the time but I've been on a few forums and participated in things.

Jack Dragen

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Yeah, I'm new in this. I've never commented or have an account on a forum before.

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
Nope, not new to forums at all. Been an active poster on various forums, namely Neoseeker, for over a decade now. I've owned my own (though it's defunct now, but it was a decently active small community for a while), and moderated on the aforementioned Neoseeker forum (anyone that frequents that site might recognize me by my username, as they're the same on both sites).

So yeah, I'm into this whole 'forums' thing. I hope to find motivation to stick by this one in particular. It's nice so far.

It's social media (Twitter, Facebook) that I hardly bother with.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Ñõ es broma, hermano. Es serioso. MUY SERIOSO. ^:)
I don't speak spanish, but this made me laugh something fierce.

Yeah, I'm new in this. I've never commented or have an account on a forum before.
Welcome out. Good to see you. Hope you like your stay :D

That said, would this be a safe place to post stupid/obvious questions? I ask because, well, I don't necessarily know all of the little nuances of posting in a forum. Things from mechanics to nifty tricks to proper protocol and etiquette are a bit hazy to me.

Tesert

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 5, 2016
Never really been too involved, only stepped in every now and then.

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
Been posting on small, personal forums for a little over a decade, with most of the early ones being RPG Maker themed. Never got in the habit of posting on larger forums and certainly not anything the size of Reddit.

Crym4x

What do you mean i can't use a bucket as a hat
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
Canberra, Australia
i'm not new to forums but i do find that i lurk a bit, think of a awesome (in my opinion) comment, get to writing it and then like nah, then i have moments where i do comment like this one

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
Coincidentally, I had done that strikeout thing earlier in a forum 'game'. Most forums have strikeout in my experience, even if they don't list it officially (I didn't see it listed in the panel, but s or strike usually works. I think a good rule of thumb is if it supports a fair list of BBcode, strike is likely to be in there somewhere even if it's not actually shown as an option.

Szkieletor

Ngasta! Kvata! Kvakis!
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
I usually keep to smaller communities, and I don't post much, unless I've got something of value to say. You can find me occasionally on some smaller reddit communities, like /r/rainmeter, /r/falloutequestria, /r/themsfightinherds (duh), and /r/periwinkle subs. Used to be active on /r/paydaytheheist, too, until it became shitpost central after Crimefest II.
I also did CSS for /r/falloutequestria (code only) and /r/elitetorval (code and design), so I wouldn't call myself a lurker after all.
The last big forums I was active on were Minecraft forums, and AGMC (Minecraft server) forums, a few years ago.

And joining the formatting discussion, here's a link to all BBCode supported by Xenforo, which is what these forums use. The editor doesn't show it all but if it's a forum, you can assume it supports the same BBCode tags as everything else.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
It should work either way, yes.

But forum tags need to be in [brackets]. I just used parentheses to make them show up in my post.
Ah. Gotcha.

Coincidentally, I had done that strikeout thing earlier in a forum 'game'. Most forums have strikeout in my experience, even if they don't list it officially (I didn't see it listed in the panel, but s or strike usually works. I think a good rule of thumb is if it supports a fair list of BBcode, strike is likely to be in there somewhere even if it's not actually shown as an option.
BBcode?

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
Bulletin Board code. Text tags like:

Code:
[i]Italics[/i]
[b]Bold[/b]
[u]Underline[/u]
[s]Strike-through[/s]
[img]Image URLs[/img]
And so forth. Also I just noticed that there is a button for Strike-through under Insert (the [+] button) if you don't want to bother with tags.

D96

Michigan Wolverines Fanatic
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Michigan
www.reddit.com
I really like the small, tight-knit feeling this place has! Before, I would usually just lurk on big forums, but it's really nice to participate here. Thanks to everyone for making this an awesome community in just a short amount of time!

Reactions: Feanor

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Bulletin Board code. Text tags like:

Code:
[i]Italics[/i]
[b]Bold[/b]
[u]Underline[/u]
[s]Strike-through[/s]
[img]Image URLs[/img]
And so forth. Also I just noticed that there is a button for Strike-through under Insert (the [+] button) if you don't want to bother with tags.
Oh. Gotcha. Thanks a bunch! :D

Feanor

Proud Velveeta
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Earth
New to forums in general. Been on places like EQD where it's all comments, but this format is pretty much new to me. Having a lot of fun with it so far though :)

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
Oh. Gotcha. Thanks a bunch! :D
You might be interested to know that BBcode is essentially pidgin HTML, intended to provide some of the same effects without potentially compromising security. Back in the day, sites that allowed people to format posts with HTML were at risk of someone using malicious code. I can't recall that ever happening (I didn't really start crawling through the net until the early 2000's), but I'm sure it happened.

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
You might be interested to know that BBcode is essentially pidgin HTML, intended to provide some of the same effects without potentially compromising security. Back in the day, sites that allowed people to format posts with HTML were at risk of someone using malicious code. I can't recall that ever happening (I didn't really start crawling through the net until the early 2000's), but I'm sure it happened.
I've seen someone make an html signature that duplicated itself into the signature of any other member that viewed it. Just a message that said "[Username] was here." After a while it started breaking the code of the forums themselves though, and he had to get rid of it. (This was on a tiny forum, and he was a friend of the guy who ran them.)

SquiddyWiddy

Your Local Squid
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
This isn't exactly my first forum, but I will say I've had the most fun with this one thus far. The problem I had with other forums was that they were already well established and so big, that it was hard to get anyone even interested in having a convo with me. Everyone always preferred to stick with who they know best, and it made it hard for me to talk with others. It doesn't help that I'm generally a socially awkward fellow online, so I always stuck to lurking on most websites.

This forum has really managed to stick with me so far because not only does it center around a game I'm really hyped for, but it also has a pretty small community to start with, making it easier to get myself familiarized with everyone and to not get lost in the shuffle. I'm seriously glad this place exists :)