Implications of Oleander's Extra Eyes

Zocarik

I am a writer who can also do math
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
In an earlier stream, there was a bit of gameplay where Oleander did an air attack and went Eldritch. Her mane turned into a bunch of combat tentacles, and she grew two extra eyes as all her eyes turned white. (I could not find a pic or a .gif. If anyone can find one, thank you).

For fun, what do you think that attack means for her? Is it a deliberate bit of dark magic that she used on herself for fighting (she has spent thirteen years preparing for this)? Is it temporary or permanent? If it is a permanent change to her biology, is she a shapeshifter, or is she hiding her extra eyes and tentacles when not using the attack?

Is it another one of those 'incidental details' that Fred failed to mention to her? Or was this something Fred deliberately guided her toward? Is this how Fred's species reproduces, turning normal unicorns into eldritch abominations?

If any of the Dev Team read this, I make this sort of thread because this is how I show my love for the game. I am playing around with minor details because I love the world and want to play more with the available lore.

Reactions: Super jorsour64

CrpCrwls

This dim light which falls from the stars...
Feb 6, 2016
I remember that one, the devs put it in slowmo so we could see all the details. If I remember correctly her eyes split when she does it and then merge together again once the attack is done so I'd say that channeling the eldricht energy for this attack cause a temporary mutation. Not really shapesifhting, the tentacles and extra eyes aren't part of the attack itself, she surround herself in some kind of energy when she does it, it look more like a side effect to me. Also given the placement of the eyes and the way she wear her mane if they were still present in her usual form we should be able to see them. I also think she's aware of the temporary mutations, having your vision change and your hair turning into tentacles should be pretty hard to miss. Maybe Fred failed to tell her the first time she did it, (who knows?) but she must have noticed by now.

Stunthead

Springbok when
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
I'm rewatching the stream where this move is first shown off now. If you pay attention, you can see that she leans back and some sort of magic goes from the book to her face. Whether Fred is doing it to her or she's doing it to herself is unclear, but it doesn't look like she can do it without Fred, so you can't really call it a 'side effect.'

The move that DOES worry me is that trap-setting move. If you look closely, to cast this spell she clearly pulls something out of herself and puts it into the book. And it looks uncomfortable, if not straight-up painful. Whether it's her magic, her "essence" or her own blackened blood remains to be seen.

Last edited:

danmiy12

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
Hawaii
If that move is any indication we'll prob be seeing more creepy facial expressions from oleander and why they had to change her idle to something else...I think once they get around to facial expression (as of right now shes kinda expressionless)...if they go out with her she might be a very creepy character to see in motion which would make sense as its dark magic...

Like Arizona her facial expressions is a work in progress she doesnt look threatening enough as it is right now though like Arizona doesnt have much of a personality in game due to using the same face in nearly all moves..

Queezeey

Fighting game amateur
Feb 4, 2016
a desk
I thought Them's Fightin' Herds was a fighting game not a horror game. SERIOUSLY WAT. Thanks for the nightmares Rich

CrpCrwls

Feb 6, 2016
Yeah it's as I remembered, tentacles and eyes aren't the attack, it's that blue energy thing. I'm still of the opinion that it's a side effect of channeling that energy.

I'm rewatching the stream where this move is first shown off now. If you pay attention, you can see that she leans back and some sort of magic goes from the book to her face. Whether Fred is doing it to her or she's doing it to herself is unclear, but it doesn't look like she can do it without Fred, so you can't really call it a 'side effect.'
Fred pass energy to Oleander, Oleander channel energy into an attack, in the process she get temporary mutations. I'd call that a side effect.

GLaD for you

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I'm a bit divided on this issue. Maybe you can relate to either one of these.

#1. I'd like lots of information such as this in story mode.
a. Information that would bring closure on why dark magic is forbidden.
b. The amount of trivia pleases the nerd in me.

#2. I'd like some information, but the fanfiction writer in me would prefer some ambiquity for a larger amount of interpretation in fan art and fan fiction.
a. Woo hoo, tentacle horse is cool! yay~
b. The amount of tsundere will vary. Imagination of how exile and having a close friend (Fred) would shape character development.

NeoTensai

Twitch Streamer, Amateur Shoutcaster...
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 11, 2016
Slovenia, Ljubljana
I'm a bit divided on this issue. Maybe you can relate to either one of these.

#1. I'd like lots of information such as this in story mode.
a. Information that would bring closure on why dark magic is forbidden.
b. The amount of trivia pleases the nerd in me.

#2. I'd like some information, but the fanfiction writer in me would prefer some ambiquity for a larger amount of interpretation in fan art and fan fiction.
a. Woo hoo, tentacle horse is cool! yay~
b. The amount of tsundere will vary. Imagination of how exile and having a close friend (Fred) would shape character development.
I know how you feel. Sometimes I feel like freaking out over the lore, updates and then have no one to have an intellectual talk about what is happening or just plain speculations that I want to share with someone that would appreciate them.
I already posted some of my speculations somewhere in the forums like if oleander will turn full dark magic due to FHTNG's influence or will she find her own path and balance Light/Dark magic making her turn
into a jin-jang like unicorn Half white Half black straight down the middle

Reactions: GLaD for you

TigerKirby215

I should be doing work right now
Crowdfund Backer
Mar 29, 2016
Just some generic dark magic stuff, really.
Might be changed later down the line. I do hope so, because it's pretty freaking sp0ok.

CrpCrwls

Feb 6, 2016
What's the point of having dark magic if it can't be a bit spooky?

Super jorsour64

gotta him em' with dat Hogwa$h
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
I noticed this before:
But never this one!
2spooky4me

In all seriousness though, I think small details like this for the characters are really cool! hopefully all the others will have similar acts (relating to THEM specifically....Not being possessed by Fred:D)

Also when I think about it now, I'd probably liken these transformations to the ones Bayonetta can perform (Turn into panther when running, snake when swimming, etc.). So temporary changes that don't change her completely and that most likely seemed weird at first, but soon became second nature to her. That's my two cents anyway...

18/NINE-TEEN

♫ ♪ Just Get On With It & Kill Me ♩ ♬
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Cool to see Oleander grow some temporary wings and be able to fly and attack for a short peroid of time. When Oleander uses only her own dark magic, she transforms into a nice creature with nice wings (Princess Sunbottom Tyrant meets Princess Moonbottom meets Princess Executive Mandated Toy Hoers meets Alicorn Purple Smart ), when she use her magic & Fred magic at the same time she transforms into a demonic creature(s) [it could be one of the many forms of what Fred use to lhave when he/it wasn't trap in Orlanders dark arts/ black magic book] with deformed/demonic insect wings [Nightmare Moon meets Discord meets Queen Chrysalis] or much worse.
I could see Oleander with some attacks similar to Guilty Gear's Eddie, Testament, Zappa & S-Ko.

Last edited: