Dungeons and Dragons

Dare

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
USA
The RPG I just can't stop thinking about. My group plays every Saturday, but as soon as the session is over, I want more. Constantly. It's so fun.

So feed me, my fellow backers. Got any good D&D stories? What class do you play? Race? Have a favorite character of yours? How good/bad is your DM? Which version are you rocking?

I'm currently wrapped up in a fun Underdark campaign, Pathfinder style, and our DM is the bee's knees. I'm playing a female Dwarf Barbarian, who is super fun. In the past, I've also played a Warforged-Kobold model who is dumb as a rock, but insanely fun to play.

How bout you guys?

Gemini Shadows

Happy Happy Hippogriff
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
geminishadows.deviantart.com
I haven't played in a while due to lack of group and a bit of burnout, but I used to play all of the time. Or run at least, since I was typically the DM due to no one else wanting to run a session.

When I do get to play, my favorite class is Bard or some other support style class, but I have played a bit of everything as I tend to fill in whatever role is missing in the party (I enjoy playing everything so I usually build last in a group).

My favorite edition to work with is 4th, primarily since I've found in my experience that, from both a DM and player perspective, it tends to flow a lot smoother than the other editions I've played (for a variety of reasons, from character building speed to combat management). I do still enjoy the complexities of 3.5 from time to time though. I haven't really had enough experience with 5th (or Next or whatever it's officially called now) so I don't have much to comment on there.

Stridershy

The King Of Goat Style
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
The Place Where Goats Are
I'm currently playing two characters in my session, because there's two halves. On one half, I play a Quinggong Monk, who is also a Natural born Warewolf. And on the other half I play a Fighter who uses the Two Handed Fighter Archetype, massive damage output.

My favorite character I've made was an Artificer (The 3rd Party Pathfinder Class). He had a supercartridge filled with nothing but Scorching Ray. So every use of the cartridge, sent over 9 blasts of Scorching Ray. He was great.

CosmicDashie

Dank may-mays
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Canadia
Ooh, dnd thread, i can get behind this

Im currently starting up a 5e campaign with some buddies, got a dragonborn cleric built for it, its gon be funnnnn

Reactions: Dare

Paper Shadow

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
When I play DnD-esque games, they are usually play Play by Posts, and usually the Pony Tales system *cough cough advertisement cough*, but I am in one 5e game with a Dragonborn Eldritch Knight. Currently she and the rest of the part are having a bath with a queen of ants. It makes a bit more sense with context (although it ain't a funny story which is why I'm not telling it)...

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
I learned 3.5 but never got a chance to play. Had a half-orc monk ready to go and everything, but things didn't pan out. =(

Then I was going to play Pathfinder with some online friends on Roll20 as a half-orc magus. That also didn't pan out.

Apparently I like half-orcs for some reason.

Szkieletor

Ngasta! Kvata! Kvakis!
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Started my tabletop RPG adventure with DnD 3.5, as a GM. Didn't know any GMs nearby so I didn't play much. Times have changed but I still mainly run games rather than play.
Unfortunately I haven't played DnD proper in a long while. My last campaign was about a year ago, a short 3-4 session campaign in a homebrew setting. Special thing about it was that it was connected to another on-going campaign, a sci-fantasy Savage Worlds game that took place in the same universe, but thousands of years later.

I ended it with a moral dilemma: the treasure PCs spent that entire time searching for was protected by a trap. Nearby valley town had a dam protecting it from adjacent lake. The trap would destroy the dam when triggered, and there was no known way around it. Not even a dragon the party has persuaded to help knew a way around it, and she was present back when the entire dungeon was built. Take the treasure and kill an entire town, or forfeit the riches. As the magic keeping the dungeon in one piece started to fade due to intruders, it started to collapse, forcing a quick decision.
The party argued for a while, it turned into a fight, one PC got killed and the rest decided to leave the dungeon, leaving the treasure to be buried forever under the mountain. Roll credits.

Been playing mostly Savage Worlds and Call of Cthulhu since that campaign. I prefer rules-light systems, but I have to admit tinkering with various ridiculous builds in DnD will never get old (infinite damage kobold champion, anyone?).

Necroceine

One Fiery Birdie
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Connecticut, USA
I've been playing Pathfinder for like three years now, which is basically D&D, and I absolutely have stories to tell.

One time my party was going through an enemy kingdom's menagerie and found these two dire tigers in a room. My cleric of the war god Gorum and the party's samurai rushed into the room as the fight started. The summoner and wizard stayed outside. So one of the tigers leaped at my cleric and grappled him, getting stabbed by his armor spikes and causing his shirt of immolation to burn. My cleric uses a greatsword, so they can't use it while grappled. Instead, he goes into a rage and starts punching the tiger with his gauntleted arm.

Meanwhile, outside the room, the summoner creates a pit to drop the tiger in, but since it's holding my cleric they both fall in. The other tiger is fighting with the samurai up above, and my cleric keeps wrestling with the other the pit. The samurai notices that my cleric seem to be losing, barely, and dives into the pit plunging his sword into the tiger's back. Then the summoner does it what it does best and a lava elemental appears in the room. It dives into the floor and punches the tiger from the pit's wall.

The summoner asks if we need any more help and we shout back things like "No way!" and "This is the coolest fight ever!" So they just close the door on us. We kill the first tiger and my cleric climbs out of the pit, only to get grappled by the second tiger. This one he is able to beat to death. Later, back in our kingdom (which my cleric was king of) we had a monument built to that battle, with the two of us wrestling a dire tiger as a lava elemental bursts out of the wall.

I'll be back with more stories another time.

Reactions: Dare

snowyblitz

The poofiest of ponies.
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
I learned how to play in 3.5 and now I currently play Ponyfinder (A pony adaptation of Pathfinder) every weekend using Roll20. I'm playing a Hunter at this time.

Some of my fondest memories were playing an insane Dwarf cleric. He'd be perfectly normal one moment, then be inflicting light wounds on random civilians. Good times.

Or the time while DM'ing I had my players fighting a Sand Worm. Well one player decided to get cocky and stand in front of it. With his hands in his pockets. I asked him several times,

"Are you sure you want to stand with your hands in your pockets?"

"Yes."

"You're positive?"

"Uh-Huh."

He died instantly about 10 seconds later.

Last edited:

Stridershy

The King Of Goat Style
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I recently had a Dwarf Barbarian (Who's goal was to become a Bloodrager) An absolute psychopath that whenever he raged, said nothing but cheesy one liners.

One such story with this character was our party had gone to an island to stop an evil organization from stealing some kind of holy dragon egg, or something like that. My character saw some of the members of that group dragging in a woman into some building, so what does he do? Rage, and charge them. So, while they're giving orders to drag the woman in, all they hear in the distance as my Dwarf charges towards them is:

"KNOCK KNOCK? WHO'S THERE? ME! ME, ME, ME, ME, ME MEEEEE!"

Sadly, I Nat1'd the charge attack, so I completely missed the attack. So they just saw this mad dwarf running towards them only to hit the ground right in front of them.

Equestrian Wyvern

The Necrogryphon
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Ah yes... Been ages since I played D&D of the traditional sort since I moved onto Fate based systems, but a few of the gems (I will spare you the insanity of the last Pathfinder game I GMed):

Banned from the Nine Hells
My character was a Half-Vampire Rogue maxing skill ranks in Profession(Barrister), who by this point had his allies deeply in debt to him for his legal fees. One stupid escapade later, the rest of the party went and sold their souls to a devil through a poorly worded contract, which let the devil just kill them on the spot to collect. The Rogue being exceptionally annoyed at his allies sets off and pays his way to the Nine Hells in order to face the rigged justice system to get their souls back seeing as they had already sold their souls to him.(Not his fault they didn't read his contract) After a decently long series of skill checks, the rogue just barely fails to win the rigged trial so he turns to his dirty trick... Dominate(at will) by looking someone in the eyes. After a series of checks both the jury and judge failed to fall under his control, so he takes the last option left and dominates the Devil's representation, who manages to fail its saving throw. Realizing that having the other side drop the defence wouldn't help him collect his allies debts, he forces the devil to attack the judge in a fight to the death, which the judge barely survives. At this point the judge freaks out realizing that there is effectively nothing stopping the rogue from killing him on the spot, so he immediately decides the case in favor of the Rogue, sending him and his now revived allies back to the primary plane with the added condition that the Rogue be forever barred from returning to the Nine Hells.

Never Trust the Secretary(aka. That time I was both a Party member and the Big Bad)
The basic setup for this campaign was that the party were the founders of a mercenary company, each leading up their respective departments: The Cleric had the divine casters; The Druid had the scouts; The Sorcerer had the arcane casters; The Fighter had the warriors; The ranger had the archers; And my Rogue was the secretary. In terms of the party dynamic, everyone besides the Ranger and the Rogue had massive egos and would refuse to lead together unless absolutely necessary, which had a habit of stalling the games while they argued over the best tactics for a given job (Which the rogue would always set up since they were too busy elsewhere).
Several sessions in the Rogue finally got fed up with the squabbling, so he grabbed a few of his trusted spies and went in to personally handle a small time conspiracy that was aiming plotting to take over the kingdom. After pulling off a more or less perfect raid to take out the leaders of the conspiracy, the Rogue decided that dismantling the conspiracy would be a waste and instead took it over himself. From that point forward the rogue was skimming money of the Mercenaries' payments to funnel towards the conspiracy which he was directing to work against the kingdom, leaving just enough damage for the mercenaries to do so it wouldn't look like there was a mole, and blackmailing the other party members with the stupid orders they tried sending through him that he would alter to avoid complete disaster.(Only the Ranger figured it out, however he tripped onto a pile of crossbow bolts when meeting with an informant) By the end of the campaign the Kingdom was so far in debt to the mercenaries that the King had to essentially offer them the throne to stop the Conspiracy's final assault. After a long and hard defence the Conspiracy finally gained access to the keep due to a traitor in the mercenary ranks; so the Party assembles in the throne room for a final defence, which unfortunately ended when the Rogue unloaded a repeating crossbow with poisoned bolts into the backs of the party.(The rogue decided that despite the fact that he won either way, he would rather not deal with the squabbling party members.)

Chicken with the Deck of Many Things

More or less what it says on the tin... My character won by drawing the best 3 cards in the deck.

bibliogeek

Sick of tea? That's like being sick of breathing!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
DC
I've played a lot of 3.5, Pathfinder, and 5ed. I just started up a campain in my own homebrewed universe, and the players are all really interested. Which is good, but is cutting into my forum time...

Necroceine

One Fiery Birdie
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Connecticut, USA
I've played a lot of 3.5, Pathfinder, and 5ed. I just started up a campain in my own homebrewed universe, and the players are all really interested. Which is good, but is cutting into my forum time...
That is the tradeoff isn't it?

So, time for another story. Same campaign, way back at the beginning with the first encounter. I was playing a different cleric and the player of the summoner had a rogue. This is primarily a story of that rogue's finest moment.

The campaign started with us going to a trade outpost, owned by the couple who would later become our treasurer and diplomat, at least temporarily. (Don't worry we let them stay in our palace after they were replaced.) They had a bandit problem, and of course we intended to solve it. The bandits were to come the next morning for their protection money, and we all hid in various places in the outpost to ambush them.

The time came and the husband met them like he was going to give them their money. Suddenly, our cavalier (who would later become the samurai from the previous story after leaving to travel the world for a year) charged the leader of the group from the stables on his horse and ended them in one blow. Meanwhile my cleric burst from another building behind one of the lackeys and smacked him so hard with the side of his blade that he must have caused some internal bleeding. He crumpled from that one blow as well.

But then that rogue showed us all up by leaping from the ramparts, landing behind the bandit in the rear on their horse while simultaneously stabbing him in the back and throwing him to the ground. She would of course keep that horse. Like I said at the time, that is how you rogue. Sadly the campaign was mostly open fields from there on out, heavily favoring our cavalier, and she would never pull such an awesome stunt again. But that left the remaining two bandits trapped between the three of us with little hope of survival. (We did actually spare one to get some info out of them but I think it was the one I hit).

And remember this was the first encounter of the campaign so we were all level 1. The rogue had to succeed their attack roll, an acrobatics check, and a ride check to pull that off.

Oh yeah and there was a wizard there too. They just cast magic missile or something. Who says mages get all the fun?

Last edited:

Stridershy

The King Of Goat Style
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Here's a wonderful story to share. So one of my characters is a Two Handed Fighter, which is an archetype for the Fighter Class in Pathfinder. He's a mercenary who is sworn to a king who, prior to his handler's first session with him, was asleep for over 2000 years. Anyways, we don't follow the party's orders and do our own thing, eventually moving forward towards an enemy encampment. The king attempts diplomacy to allow the party forward, however, when that fails we immediately start attacking the encampment. It goes good for a few rounds until the king realizes that we were outnumbered, and teleports back to the party.

However, he forgot me. An entire encampment of 100 or so soldiers, versus myself. Naturally, I run. However, the enemy sends out a small group of seven cavaliers after me. So naturally, I fight back. Making my attacks before move actions. So I'm dishing out on every one of the cavaliers FOUR Power Attacks, each of them hitting (Which altogether is a base 80 to damage before rolling 1d10+1d6 Fire Damage) But, they're still getting their attacks in.

I manage to get the group down only to two left, but I'm in dangerously low health, one hit and I'm dead. Its their turn, one of the cavaliers rolls for their attack...and he Nat1's.

Now, something to note about our session. We have both a Crit Deck and a Crit Fail Deck, we draw a card, and depending on the style of attack, they get the effect on what card is pulled. So we pull from the Crit Fail deck...and because of the effect on the card, the cavalier impales and kills his buddy. Allowing me to take him out on my turn and surviving the encounter.

I made it back to the party, at 2 HP.

BypenThynDragon

I for one welcom our new ruler Smugdeer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I DM'd a game of Unforgotten Realms, friends I was playing with didn't really care so we only did one short game

Although we got a really funny triple 1 roll,
My friend was playing as the pirate captain he named Que Pasa,
ran into the temple rolled a one tripped down the stars,
next turn rolled another one and hade his flintlock blow up in his face,
Third roll rolled another one on a blink had him blink right next to a wall with his arm fused with the wall,
He had to cut it off and I just couldn't stop laughing.

Well that's my story.

Necroceine

One Fiery Birdie
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Connecticut, USA
You might've guessed by now Cleric is my favorite class. And you're basically right. I love how versatile they are. They can be a support character, or an archer, or on the front lines, depending on what deity and what domains you choose. And with a full 9 levels of spellcasting too! But I also really like playing rangers and bards.

I don't really have a favorite race.

My current characters are a rapping lizardfolk dervish dancer (bard archetype I always wanted to play) and an aasimar cleric in service to an empyreal lord of purity built for support, but often ending up on the front line.

Past characters I've actually played have included a sylph illusionist who constantly changed her appearance and was the most roguish wizard you'll ever meet, an innocent young human bard who just wanted to join a bard college (my first character), a cold-hearted (slightly tsundere) mortician's apprentice and cleric of Pharasma (my first cleric), a roc-riding crossbow-wielding elf ranger (first one of those), and last but not least, a nordic human ranger who earned the title "the Odd" much to his chagrin.

Before that he was called "Bookwym" because he was obsessed with dragons and would always read about them. His ultimate goal was to ally with the first Linnorm Fafnheir and be the great hero of legend to unite his people against the winter witches. He formed a pact with a rebellious winter witch which ended up getting him killed as she was pretending the whole time. He jumped at her to take her out when she revealed her true colors as the one who got her that far (she was flying away). She created an ice spike that the two landed on after he stabbed her and they were both impaled on it and assumed dead.

That all came about because the witch's player had to leave and my character was pretty tied to them. So then because the party had to fight a boss at that moment, my sylph wizard from earlier uncloaked from her invisibility after her fireball exploded on the enemy witch and her ice creature, with her hair blowing in the wind. One of my favorite character introductions to this day. I want to revisit that ranger someday though, his druid brother must've wondered what happened to him after all... the party had to leave the city in a hurry after all that went down.

Talen-Jei

Gureato Daze
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 8, 2016
Louisiana
I'm actually about to wrap up my very first campaign. We've been playing for a year now, and soon things will come to a close. We've had some pretty funny moments too. I was DM'ing, since I had the biggest grasp of the rules.

Like this one time, when the party (consisting of a Dwarf Slayer, Kitsune Rogue, Dragonborn Paladin, and Satyr Bard) heard about some pirates terrorizing a port town, they debated for the longest time on whether to take their chances crossing the sea, or find and eliminate the Pirates before setting sail. After agreeing to get rid of the Pirates first, they eventually discover the hidden cove. The Bard, along with an NPC, manage to successfully create a distraction to get the entrance guards away from their posts. When they sneak in, they manage to find the Captain's lair. Again, most of the party spends forever debating on how to approach the situation.

The only one who didn't debate was the dwarf. He literally walked up to the side of the Captain's Cabin, and said, "I'm gonna throw my war pick through the window."

Mind you, he was rolling with disadvantage due to the cabin being elevated, and him throwing an improvised weapon. He managed to Nat 20 it, in a situation that was pretty much "Nat 20 or fail." And when the Captain emerged from the cabin, wounded and disoriented, war pick impaled in him, the dwarf shot him with his ranged weapon, causing the captain to fall to his death. And then when the remaining pirates came to see the commotion, they found their captain dead, standing over him was the most Jamacian-looking Dwarf completely unharmed. A few passed intimidation checks later, and the dwarf was made the new captain.

Man, I'm gonna miss this campaign. It was great.

Reactions: Stars

The Skullivan

That guy what with the ponies
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I just got into D&D a couple of months ago. Our campaign started out using 5e, but we just switched over to a custom system based off of the Star Wars tabletop RPG. I play a gnoll cleric who has consistently proven to be incredibly overpowered and impossible to kill, despite our DM's best efforts. Quite a few great stories came out of this campaign.

For instance, at one point our party (at that point consisting of my gnoll cleric, a gnoll fighter, and an elf sorceror) was tasked with investigating the mansion of a local researcher who'd gone missing a few months prior. When we get in, we find that the rooms all rearrange themselves at random every time someone goes through a door, and each room was rigged all sorts of traps. Eventually we come to a hallway with a door with a window off to the side. Inside there was some kind of mimic or spell that appeared different to every party member, trying to entice us to come inside.

The elf is the only one who makes the perception check to realize it's a trick, and both gnolls crit fail. My cleric sees a beautiful female gnoll in a bath, giving him a 'come hither' expression. The fighter, on the other hand, sees a filthy jail cell containing her own mother, heavily injured and bleeding. The fun part started when we started discussing how to proceed from there: Because both of us were looking at a female gnoll, we both just sort of assume we're looking at the same thing, and we start arguing over the other's reactions to it. The fighter is getting mad at me for drooling over her beaten and injured old mother, while I'm trying to figure out why she's so eager to get in there with her sexy naked mom.

Meanwhile the elf is standing to the side, unable to convince us that it isn't real, and even more unable to physically drag two fully grown gnolls away from this door with her wimpy elf mage arms. All she could do was keep the door sealed so neither of us could barge into this extremely obvious trap. We probably spent a solid half hour standing in front of that door before we finally made to the next room.

Necroceine

One Fiery Birdie
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Connecticut, USA
Mind you, he was rolling with disadvantage due to the cabin being elevated, and him throwing an improvised weapon. He managed to Nat 20 it, in a situation that was pretty much "Nat 20 or fail." And when the Captain emerged from the cabin, wounded and disoriented, war pick impaled in him, the dwarf shot him with his ranged weapon, causing the captain to fall to his death. And then when the remaining pirates came to see the commotion, they found their captain dead, standing over him was the most Jamacian-looking Dwarf completely unharmed. A few passed intimidation checks later, and the dwarf was made the new captain.
That reminds me another time in the same campaign I've been talking about. We were fighting an evil cleric who was walking on the ceiling and he just kept channeling negative energy at us. One consistent problem with us in that campaign is that we had very little ranged capability, so this was a very difficult encounter for our party. Our wizard was opposed to spells that had no or minimal effect on a successful save, and they didn't get fireball for a long time either.

Anyway, the Cavalier gets sick of this coward and decides to cut the weapon cord attaching his greatsword to his wrist so he can throw it practically straight up at this guy. Nat 20, of course. Basically cuts him in half and wins the fight for us. After his year long break when he came back he actually made throwing greatswords his primary fighting style. Because of this he carried around four of them, attached to a belt that would teleport the swords back to him every round. It worked really well, actually.

Our fight with the final boss was pretty fun too. We were teleported into a small hedge maze so it took a couple rounds for anyone to get to her. Our wizard was plane shifted away by a prismatic spray and I think it may have incapacitated our summoner too. Or perhaps we were just busy with her mooks.

But our samurai (former cavalier) got to her first, fortunately he was the one given the weapon she was specifically afraid of. It was a vorpal weapon. So of course his first attack is a confirmed nat 20 crit. We figure that's the end of it but then her head reattaches to her body... only to get severed again by the next attack, a second nat 20.

Turns out she had used a Wish spell to prevent herself from getting Vorpaled to death, but she didn't expect it to happen twice in one fight, so a lot of good that did her. After the second decapitation she flies into the air and explodes with a bunch of black lightning, making my cleric comment that our wizard would probably really like to see this! (I'm kind of a jerk sometimes)