Borderlands Series

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
Big fan of this series and I'm pretty sure I saw at least one other person mention liking it as well. All 3 BL games occupy a spot in my top 5 most played Steam games, with BL2 taking the crown at 738+ hours.

There have got to be at least a few people here willing to chat about it, I thought, so I decided to make a thread for it. BL3 isn't in development yet, exactly, but once Gearbox is done with Battleborn they've indicated that BL3 is what they'll be working on as their next big project.

Incidentally, I play on PC, and have BL2 and TPS both installed, and could easily install BL1 as well, so if someone is interested in a playthrough I could be cajoled into it, I expect. A legit (no Gibbed or even duping if you prefer) playthrough or one centered around making us stupidly strong both works for me.

Rocketknightgeek

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I really enjoyed BL2 right up until I got into ultimate Vault hunter mode and the enemies suddenly became bullet sponges from hell. I mean, I have a pearlesant that has a severe kickback to make up for it's absurd power (33,000 damage from a lvl 53 pistol) and even that won't take out a basic enemy's shield in one burst to the head.

After clearing Flint and getting to sanctuary proved to be more a slog of purest attrition than any sort of 'game', I quit. The endgame is simply no fun at all.

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
I really enjoyed BL2 right up until I got into ultimate Vault hunter mode and the enemies suddenly became bullet sponges from hell. I mean, I have a pearlesant that has a severe kickback to make up for it's absurd power (33,000 damage from a lvl 53 pistol) and even that won't take out a basic enemy's shield in one burst to the head.

After clearing Flint and getting to sanctuary proved to be more a slog of purest attrition than any sort of 'game', I quit. The endgame is simply no fun at all.
Meh, most pearls in BL2 are just kinda crap. There are only a few decent ones among them. Slag is the rule in UVHM. Extra damage and duration and all.

It does tend to suck some of the fun out of the game, knowing that in order to succeed you're basically restricted to a much smaller collection of weapons/gear and builds but I suppose the point of the mode is to challenge those that actually want to face such difficulties.

TigerKirby215

I should be doing work right now
Crowdfund Backer
Mar 29, 2016
Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw (Zero Punctuation) said:
Snore...derlands... 2.
Eh. I never inherently disliked the series, but I never really liked it that much either.

I started on the second game, and that's probably why I'm not that invested in it. I watched a few Let's Plays when it came out, and then pretty much forgot about it until a friend of mine forced asked me to buy it for a YouTube Let's Play or something.
Low and behold: The game didn't work on my MS DOS. :oops:

Getting a new computer, I decided to check the game out again.

It was fun when:
  • I got some horrifically broken gun.
  • I got to summon my giant death Mecha as the DLC character.
  • PONIZ REFURENCZ!
  • ECHPLOSINZ!
It wasn't fun when:
  • I had to grind a bunch to get my giant death Mecha. (Or my Pony References)
  • A distinctive lack of cool guns. (Or explosives)

I guess what I'm essentially saying is that the game was a bunch of highs and lows for me. Fun moments of "Yaaaaaaaaay violence!" broken up by "Booooooo boring fetch quests!"

The main thing I found is that, after getting bored with the side questing, the game generally descended into this:
The game really doesn't have much other than it's quests. I can best describe Borderlands as "pseudo-open world", because, even though it does have a big map to explore, there's very little to do in said world. (See Sonic '06)

I've got so many games that I can play now that I don't have an MS DOS that I don't really want to waste my time gathering the 8 sacred chest hairs of Umpalumpadumpa.
*Goes and wastes another day playing DOTA, instead of all the games with 0 hours he has installed.*

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Yeah, the main game have a pretty incosistent momentum. The Tina DLC was much better in that regard.

RustleRustle

Sunbreaker Titan, Fireteam "Ad Mare Cognitum III"
Mar 31, 2016
European Dead Zone, Earth

There's a reason I have a modded Explosive Norfleet to go with my Slag Turret.

Cinnamaldehyde

DDR Savant
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 10, 2016
Lake Stevens
In BL2 I got to that big fight against that flying fortress and was disappointed and confused at first, and then surprised to find out that that wasn't the final boss.
I still haven't picked it back up because I was playing co-op and my character is under leveled for all of the missions I have.