Just work, damn you!

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
Welp, my new computer died. Again. It looks like the CPU. Again. It's probably the motherboard frying it, but there isn't much I can do to prove it, so I'm stuck replacing the CPU over and over again.

Going to take it in for servicing again ASAP. If they don't have another 6850k in stock, I will probably need to wait a week to get it back.

Next time I won't OC it at all, for all I know the mobo decides to send too many volts into it. The buffer of not having any OC might be enough to avoid it frying in future. I'll miss those 400MHz though.

Anybody else have issues with things working the way they're supposed to, even though you treat them well?

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Can you ask them to check if it's the motherboard? I mean it's cheaper for them than replacing an expensive cpu monthly.

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
Can you ask them to check if it's the motherboard? I mean it's cheaper for them than replacing an expensive cpu monthly.
I asked last time. The tech said there isn't really a way to test that. It took like 3 months of daily use before it killed off another one of my CPUs.

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
Turns out it wasn't quite so bad as that this time.

The onboard overclocking software apparently had a fit. Hopefully this issue will never rear its ugly head. Tech dood manually overclocked it instead. Time will tell if this will prevent further issues though. I mean, my computer was turned on every day for about 3 months before the OC software had its conniption and locked down.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
To be fair, CPU longevity is really a toss of a coin with the sizes the thing is made. I mean, only a few atoms off can cause issues in that 14nm. By the by, I thought overclocking voids warranty.

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
To be fair, CPU longevity is really a toss of a coin with the sizes the thing is made. I mean, only a few atoms off can cause issues in that 14nm. By the by, I thought overclocking voids warranty.
Not sure about voiding warranty, but apparently I stay covered under NCIX's service plan. If you go for assembly and testing, you get one year of parts and labor. Didn't need that on the previous computer (at least, not within the year), but it's paid for itself already now, twice over.