Zootopia

Ferettoko

Procrastinator at Large
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
I liked this movie a bunch. However...

The reason the lack of birds and reptiles bothered me is because this film is a deconstruction of other funny animal films like Robin Hood, Cats Don't Dance, and Kung Fu Panda. Those films had plenty of bird and reptile characters, and excluding them makes this film feel unfaithful. Imagine a Star Wars parody that excluded Darth Vader, for instance.

In fact, even though I liked the predator/prey relationship, I feel the anti-racism message could've been just as strong, if not stronger, if birds and reptiles were included.

Here's a neat drawing by squeedgemonster that interprets what reptiles would look like in Zootopia.

Also, for you guys surprised about Mr. Otterton going savage, otters can be surprisingly vicious in real life. Go look it up online.
They did a lovely job.

(Though a part of me can't help but feel that the gator is the littlest bit too exaggerated to fit in with the rest of the Zootopia animals.)

CrazyBob05

Feb 9, 2016
Hey that's cool too. You got your opinions, I got mine, and Zero has his (or hers). No judgement.

Cyberfox VII

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Can't say I'm on board with Wildehopps, either. I finished the movie feeling that platonic friends is the ideal way for them to be, and I still hold that position.

...That said, I do occasionally see some fan art/comics of the ship that I admit are adorable...

CrazyBob05

Feb 9, 2016
Can't say I'm on board with Wildehopps, either. I finished the movie feeling that platonic friends is the ideal way for them to be, and I still hold that position.

...That said, I do occasionally see some fan art/comics of the ship that I admit are adorable...
Well like I said, I understand it's not for everyone and I'm certainly not trying to take over this thread with it. I understand a difference of opinion.

V.A.a.M.P.P

The Man that had a plan but forgot it
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
The Great Unknown in Texas
I'm in on the same train as cyberfox, the movie really made it feel like a good friendship or partnership until the end of the movie when they are in the police car then it feels like the same Disney princess formula

CrazyBob05

Feb 9, 2016
I'm cool with anyone who doesn't agree with it. I'm just curious about who around here rides that ship.

CrazyBob05

Feb 9, 2016
Apologies for the double-post but I started a second thread for everyone who follows the ship so this one won't be overrun.

Cyberfox VII

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
I'm in on the same train as cyberfox, the movie really made it feel like a good friendship or partnership until the end of the movie when they are in the police car then it feels like the same Disney princess formula
I didn't feel like the police car bit necessarily had to be interpreted as anything romantic; play-flirting among friends is a thing. Maybe I'd have to re-watch it, though. I could be misremembering some nuance...

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
I didn't feel like the police car bit necessarily had to be interpreted as anything romantic; play-flirting among friends is a thing. Maybe I'd have to re-watch it, though. I could be misremembering some nuance...
I think that scene could be read either way, depending on how you wanted to look at it. I suspect that it was meant as two friends talking, and nothing more per-say. Which would be something Disney either hasn't done before, or in a very long time.

That I can recall anyway.

Horsebucking Ponymaggot

Pony Extraordinaire
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 14, 2016
Queensland, Australia
I thought it was really good. 9/10. However, I have a friend who OBSESSES over the movie. He goes completely crazy over it. He went to see the movie in the theatres like 9 times. I think it may be his favourite movie.

CrazyBob05

Feb 9, 2016
I thought it was really good. 9/10. However, I have a friend who OBSESSES over the movie. He goes completely crazy over it. He went to see the movie in the theatres like 9 times. I think it may be his favourite movie.
9 times?! I only saw it in theaters twice. Still anxious over the DVD/Blue-ray release though.

super hurricane

Feb 13, 2016
Now the Secret Life of Pets is something that was missing from Zootopia, snakes, insects, lizards, crocs, dogs, cats, all sorts of regular animals including guinea pigs. Hilariously funny in most parts, depending on if you saw some of the commericals, and realistic scenes of danger and excitement. Heck, someone brought a whole bunch of kids into the theater and I was almost sure some of the stuff there was a bit much for them.

Mr.McClellan

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Jul 21, 2016
Zootopia was an amazing move, and has become my favorite animated movie right next do Disney's robin hood (i'm not a furry, I swear!) I would also recommend a Disney infinity figurine if you like things like that, they are exceptionally well made.

Reactions: OCisbestungulate

CrazyBob05

Feb 9, 2016
Don't worry McClellan OC is a closet WildeHopps shipper. lol

As for me, I'm proud of that fact.

CrazyBob05

Feb 9, 2016
Say what you will. I let you have your opinions. I wouldn't judge someone for having a difference of opinion. I'm proud of being part of the popular WildeHopps ship.

Richard Upton Pickman

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Jun 5, 2016
Zootopia was an amazing move, and has become my favorite animated movie right next do Disney's robin hood (i'm not a furry, I swear!) I would also recommend a Disney infinity figurine if you like things like that, they are exceptionally well made.
The figurines are really good looking. In most toys Nick looks like he is not with us (as if he has taken some special zootopian herb). The Disney versions are the best they made so far of these two.
That and the art-book is simply amazing.
Im getting it because of you.:D

Richard Upton Pickman

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Jun 5, 2016
It just arrived and i cant look at it because i leave for a convention tomorrow but the pages i looked at so far look amazing. I would have loved to see Nick and the darker version of Zootopia but i also love what we got.

Little related story. A british friend of mine visited germany last week. We had the stand for the movie in our store. My mate wanted me to ask so i got it for him. Right now it should be on its way to britian. Before we folded it i had to leave the car window open so we could get it home.:D

Now i just need a Judy and Nick tsum for myself and i filled my merch quoter.

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
I finally got to see this. For whatever reason, it took like a month or more after the NA BD release before the UK steel released.

It was definitely a good movie, nice message. The BD extras indicate it was originally going to be darker, with all predators over a certain age wearing shock collars that activate whenever they get even a little agitated (even just happy excitement). The 'prey' were in charge of pretty much everything.

I prefer the direction they went in, more family friendly but it still showed the undercurrent of prejudice. Gazelle was a real sweetheart. If there is a sequel, I wonder if she'll have a more prominent role (or maybe she'll just be swept under the rug)?

Also, who didn't suspect the sweet assistant mayor? Seems like movies these days really like pulling 180's like that. I mean, the whole 'predators going berserk' thing practically screamed 'plot by a herbivore to discredit the predators' and she's the most prominent of those, discounting Gazelle (who publicly protested the atmosphere of fear and prejudice) and of course Judy Hopps herself.

So yeah, sequel will be nice, and is probably going to happen at some point.

Also, I'd been holding out on getting the Art Book myself, having not seen the movie, but I'll probably pick it up eventually.

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
Oh yeah, something that bothered me and was never addressed to my knowledge: What the heck do the obligate carnivores eat, if every animal down to the smallest mouse is sapient and thus would be illegal (and unethical besides) to kill?

Do they live off the corpses? Like, is there a macabre side to the post-death process in this world where the deceased, instead of being buried, are processed and then consumed by the carnivores?

Or are all the carnivores fed some meat substitute that they would have had to have developed centuries ago when the peace was brokered?

Oh, and the movie also doesn't really address the issue of housing all the large animals vs the smaller ones. Sure, they had this city within the city for the small rodents, but apparently Judy could only afford a small hole of an apartment on her salary, exactly what do the minimum wage elephants do? Are people charged different rates for square-footage space by species, making it so larger species can afford the same relative roominess as smaller species at the same price point? It would have to work that way, otherwise the world would be a very hard place to live in if you were considerably larger than average. That would also lead to the need to regulate real estate manipulation, where an elephant could, for example, buy a moderate sized place (by their standards), and then sell it for a huge premium to a much smaller species. They could completely destroy the real estate market without such regulation. They probably make it so most places can only be sold within certain species size brackets (like ultra-small, small, small-medium, medium-large, large, humongous). That would be fair enough, and prevent any member of the larger species of the world from cornering the market.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Oh, and the movie also doesn't really address the issue of housing all the large animals vs the smaller ones. Sure, they had this city within the city for the small rodents, but apparently Judy could only afford a small hole of an apartment on her salary, exactly what do the minimum wage elephants do? Are people charged different rates for square-footage space by species, making it so larger species can afford the same relative roominess as smaller species at the same price point? It would have to work that way, otherwise the world would be a very hard place to live in if you were considerably larger than average. That would also lead to the need to regulate real estate manipulation, where an elephant could, for example, buy a moderate sized place (by their standards), and then sell it for a huge premium to a much smaller species. They could completely destroy the real estate market without such regulation. They probably make it so most places can only be sold within certain species size brackets (like ultra-small, small, small-medium, medium-large, large, humongous). That would be fair enough, and prevent any member of the larger species of the world from cornering the market.
Uh, methinks you're overthinking it at this point. Then again, there is much of the city we don't know. Perhaps land lords charge in proportion to the renter's size. Or perhaps certain species tend to stick to certain areas of the city. Either way, I'm sure there's a bit of that sort of tom-foolery going on, but most animals prolly don't think of doing something like that.

That said: I believe the predators eat fish, and protein-infused goodies, or some such.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
We saw a fox happily eat a blueberry, so I think the movie went with the "they evolved to be able to live on plants cus reasons" explanation. However, yes they probably get fish/ extra soyous food. Albeit soy is used massively in fattening livestock. That thing is a ridiculously useful plant.

CrazyBob05

Feb 9, 2016
Actually, the directors flat-out stated that traditionally predatory animals now sustain themselves off bugs and fish but I suspect that only mammals are sapient meaning that predators probably also eat reptiles, amphibians, and birds.