Yu-Gi-Oh!

CrazyBob05

Feb 9, 2016
Surprised I had to make this. I love this card game, even with the hundreds of cheap cards out.

A88mph

Game Maker and Starship Captain.
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
a88mph.itch.io
Same here. If you don't mind, I think I'll write an essay on how much this game influenced me.

I can't even remember when exactly I first saw the show as dubbed by 4Kids, but I quickly fell in love with the game. Though I was curious as to how everyone knows what all the cards do, seeing as though they have no text on them. I figured the card abilities must have been in the rule book, and dreaded seeing for myself. The best character to me was Kaiba and his Blue-Eyes White Dragon.

In the fall of 2002, when I was in the 5th grade, I got a copy of Starter Deck Kaiba. I was surprised to see text on the cards, and it wouldn't be till years later that I would know why this was the case (as well as why the cards did look like the real one in the Pyramid of Light movie)

There was one major problem. My school was one of the many that cracked-down on Pokemon and the like. And while Yu-Gi-Oh was not amung of the games banned, I was practically the only one in, at least, my grade range that played.

I did have my brother as an opponent, but he wasn't as interested as I was. There was a Duelist League at my local Toys R Us, but that dried up eventually.

around 2008, I was half-way though High School, and I finally found another league. by this time, Light of Destruction was out, and the meta of the day was Lightsworn Vs. Gladiator Beasts. This was also my first taste of true competitive play... and I got crush thoroughly. Up until this time my card collection consisted of what little boaster packs and new starter decks my parents would get for me, so my collection was quite small, and hardly consisting of powerful GX era cards.

However, it was around this time that I discovered online dueling outside of Yu-Gi-Oh online. the first duel system I ever used was called the "Kaiba Corp Virtual Duel System" (or KCVDS for short), and this was the first time I was able to satisfy my hunger for human opponents in the game. This would be the main duel system I would use until discovering the numerous ones in the "Byond" game engine, Dueling Network, YGOPro, and most recently, "Dawn of a new Era".

But soon the 5D's era came in, starting with the Duelist Genesis set, and everything changed. I was soundly bested by a Goyo Guardian, and it was at that moment, that I wanted to utilize to power of Synchros in my deck. (However, once the Synchro era came about, my brother found that, for him, the games pace became to fast, combined with the rudeness of the competitive scene, and retired from the game altogether)

Collage was where I finally hit my stride in my dueling career. with a job that allowed me to buy all the card packs I wanted, or at least have collateral to trade for what I needed, I was able to finally build the Synchro deck that I wanted to play in real life. I was one of the best at the game lounge, and it honestly seemed like everything came together, and would stay that way...

...then Zexal came around...

As soon as Generation Force came out, the game immediately turned Synchro-hostile. I lost all support for my deck for about the next 4-5 boasters. I started shifting my buying habit to pre-ordering 1 box of boaster packs per set in the hopes of getting really rare cards to trade for what I might need, but that didn't work, the meta was also shifting too fast. I couldn't keep up. And with my class scheduled keeping me from the lounge for some time, I figured a break would be a good idea.

If the Synchro-era was too much for my brother, the XYZ-era was a bit much for me. However, after graduation, I thought it was time to dive back in. That was when I saw the tutorial video for Pendulum Summoning, and I metaphorically "flipped the table". I closed the Yu-Gi-Oh website, and retired from the game myself.

There is so much more I can say on this subject, but perhaps those thoughts are best left for when they cam come up in other posts here. :)

CrazyBob05

Feb 9, 2016
I flat-out hate the XYZ cards. The rules that govern them are retarded. I use Gatling Dragon's special ability, my opponent detaches material monsters from his XYZ to save it as many times as he needs to keep my Gatling Dragon's ability from destroying it. XYZs heavily unbalance the game and put anyone not using those pieces of crap at a severe disadvantage. Pendulums can help but they can also further unbalance the game. It's a sad case of power-creep at it's worst.

As for the anime. I never liked Seto Kaiba much. There was a lot of wasted character development. He started off as a jerk and remained a jerk through the whole series. My favorite character was Joey Wheeler, he was basically the underdog. Nobody thought much of him so when he beat someone on his own it wasn't just a surprise but a welcome breath of fresh air. Joey's basically the average schmuk, he doesn't have an all-knowing spirit of an ancient king living inside him and he's not filthy rich, so he has to make due with whatever cards he can get his hands on. Like the rest of us.

A88mph

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
a88mph.itch.io
I flat-out hate the XYZ cards. The rules that govern them are retarded. I use Gatling Dragon's special ability, my opponent detaches material monsters from his XYZ to save it as many times as he needs to keep my Gatling Dragon's ability from destroying it. XYZs heavily unbalance the game and put anyone not using those pieces of crap at a severe disadvantage. Pendulums can help but they can also further unbalance the game. It's a sad case of power-creep at it's worst.
Agreed. That's actually why I'm working on my own version of Yu-Gi-Oh (with new IPs) that should fix balancing issues, and keep OTKs in check.

As for the anime. I never liked Seto Kaiba much. There was a lot of wasted character development. He started off as a jerk and remained a jerk through the whole series. My favorite character was Joey Wheeler, he was basically the underdog. Nobody thought much of him so when he beat someone on his own it wasn't just a surprise but a welcome breath of fresh air. Joey's basically the average schmuk, he doesn't have an all-knowing spirit of an ancient king living inside him and he's not filthy rich, so he has to make due with whatever cards he can get his hands on. Like the rest of us.
Kaiba being a jerk is most likely just the failings of 4Kids, though I could be wrong as I have not watched the original subbed version of Gen 1. I will say for Joey that I hated that he lost to Marik in the finals on a technicality. We all know he should have beaten Marik and sent him to the Shadow Realm, defying all prophecy and expectations. But Noooooo, we always have to have the main character do that.

CrazyBob05

Feb 9, 2016
Agreed. That's actually why I'm working on my own version of Yu-Gi-Oh (with new IPs) that should fix balancing issues, and keep OTKs in check.
Dunno' know how you're gonna' pull it off but I'm in. I still use Synchros and I might use Pendulums if there's room in your rulebook for them.

Kaiba being a jerk is most likely just the failings of 4Kids, though I could be wrong as I have not watched the original subbed version of Gen 1. I will say for Joey that I hated that he lost to Marik in the finals on a technicality. We all know he should have beaten Marik and sent him to the Shadow Realm, defying all prophecy and expectations. But Noooooo, we always have to have the main character do that.
As far as I know Kaiba's a jerk in all versions. And that duel ticked me off too, he lost on a technicality. By all right, the Winged Dragon of Ra should've been his.

Neo the Hybrid

It's time to trim the Wood off of Woody
Feb 6, 2016
you know, that one place....

i hate to say this but, i just looked at gatling dragon
The card actually just sucks in general XD and i'm not sure what xyz you were talking about that did that as there's not many that save themselves from it as you think, or at least they've faded into obscurity now with newer stuff like more banishing and negation, and non-destruction removal
besides, there's stuff much worse than just "XYZ's" examples
Kozmo
Majespecter
i could go on but i don't really feel like it, theres many different decks (i've dueled about 95% percent of them) if you're gonna play the game you'll just need to learn to "adapt" to them

Octavia

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
5Ds was the peak of Yu-Gi-Oh! imo. Best anime, and the synchros were neat. I love the game so much but power creep has gotten out of hand and the game has an unealthy meta filled with loops and OTKs, and cards nowadays have like 10 effects and 10 lines of text for every card that I just cant play anymore. If you love something, you have to learn to let it go, etc.

Reactions: A88mph

CrazyBob05

Feb 9, 2016
i hate to say this but, i just looked at gatling dragon
The card actually just sucks in general XD
I don't go around blasting your favorite cards do I? Gatling Dragon is an awesome card if you know how to use it. As a matter of opinion, I hate XYZs. I've faced too many opponents who do that "detach to save my monster" bs. Personally, I like Pendulums though and I HAVE learned to use them. I run the Dinomist set.

A88mph

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
a88mph.itch.io
5Ds was the peak of Yu-Gi-Oh! imo. Best anime, and the synchros were neat. I love the game so much but power creep has gotten out of hand and the game has an unealthy meta filled with loops and OTKs, and cards nowadays have like 10 effects and 10 lines of text for every card that I just cant play anymore. If you love something, you have to learn to let it go, etc.
I agree with you on 5D's being the Golden Age of Yu-Gi-Oh, next to Gen 1. I never watched GX because I was old enough to realize that 4Kids didn't know how to write, but since I had regular access to YouTube by 2008, I started to watch the subbed version in the hopes of finding a better narrative... I was correct. Although I felt like the ending of the series was, as I put it, my personal "Mass Effect 3"

For starters, Leo became the 6th Signer... WHAT...THE...HECK!?!?! are they so desperate to make sure that only the "non-muggles" can defeat ANY of the main villains that they pull another tattoo out of their butts to give him the power to justify him beating what's his face fusion of those 3 guys!?! I mean I was glad that I was right about Life Stream Dragon being within Power Tool Dragon when everyone else around me was saying I was wrong. (though they all forgot what the old man in the jail said about the dragons taking new forms over the years.) My though was that although it was one of the 5 Dragons, it choose to be with Leo and not its proper Signer due to his determination to protect his Sister, and that alone would give him the power to triumph over all evils... But that would be too heartwarming of a tail, so give him the Deus-ex-MARKina instead!

Next, we have the super-mega final boss: Z-ONE. When his masked was cracked, revealing a matching Mark with Yusei's, I truly thought it was Yusei from the future. My mind raced with what this could mean. Could it be that despite all the talk of Friendship being Magic, it didn't work? Would Yusei start to doubt what his actions could mean from here on out that could drive him down this path of needing to defeat himself? And other such paradoxical possibilities... But right at the start of the next episode, they cop out and show us that Z-ONE is just some guy we never met, completely killing any investment in the villain, because... we never meat him before... at all!

And finally, not so much a failing of writing, but a personal gripe as one who likes Guy-gets-Girl in the end stuff, it annoyed me that Yusei and Aki didn't become a couple in the end.