Would Skullgirls be good practice for TFH?

Gamerdude854

Pizza Pasta
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 7, 2016
Canada
I'm wondering if playing Skullgirls would be good practice for Them's Fightin Herds? I've been considering buying it.

ZeroParadox

Ace Daydreamer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Pretty much any fighting game will prepare you for TFH given how accessible it is trying to be. A lot of people here are going to be playing PC and have access to Skullgirls on Steam. If you were going to be training without a group, I'd recommend Street Fighter, but as you see in the post above, there are plenty of people getting together to give you a good place to learn.

Plus, Skullgirls is cheap and pretty accessible, whereas SFIV is dying out and hard to make a dent in and SFV is gonna be released at full retail price soon. I'd say SG is your best bet.

Muro

Fight me in Skullgirls
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Poland
steamcommunity.com
- pushblocks
- operating on the same Z-engine
- similar combo- and infinite prevention systems

Yup, even if Skullgirls is primarily team-based while Them's Fightin' Herds is 1v1 only, I do think SG is the closest in style fighting game to pick up if you want to prepare specifically for TFH. It's also a pretty great game overall, so I recommend getting it regardless.

Reactions: Gamerdude854

Muro

Fight me in Skullgirls
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Poland
steamcommunity.com
Point taken and I agree, though at the same time surely Mane6 receiving Skullgirls' engine wouldn't be such a big deal if it was completely irrelevant.

It is (from what I gather as the receiving end of the product) a quality engine with considerable possibilities, and perhaps provides a similar starting point for a fighting game, explaining why for someone who is used to Skullgirls TFH seems so "familiar" in the footage I got to see so far.

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com
surely Mane6 receiving Skullgirls' engine wouldn't be such a big deal if it was completely irrelevant..
M6 getting to use the engine wasn't relevant due to how the game would play, it was relevant to the limitations the original engine we had to use had. The more robust an engine, the more able it is to produce games of varying styles. Mike Z has shown before that he can just make platforms in a Skullgirls stage if he wanted to, and suddenly it could be like Smash.

It is (from what I gather as the receiving end of the product) a quality engine with considerable possibilities, and perhaps provides a similar starting point for a fighting game, explaining why for someone who is used to Skullgirls TFH seems so "familiar" in the footage I got to see so far.
Unfortunately, seeing footage and actually being in the game are completely different things. Skullgirls is a great place to start because it offers a fantastic tutorial system and is very easily accessible since it would have about the same system requirements and goes on sale quite often.

In the end, only TFH will help you get better at TFH. Since that isn't an option for people right now, anything that you are familiar with will work, as long as it stays in the same style of 2D fighter. 4button, 5 button, 6 button, doesn't matter. Fundamentals are fundamentals.

Barbaloot

Bringer of sorrow and also donuts.
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Wisconsin
Something that would be surprisingly good practice, besides Skullgirls, would be Divekick.

Divekick strips away all the fuss from fighting games and makes the game 100% about predicting people, spacing and timing. Those are the most basic yet most important aspects of learning a fighting game, so iof you want to learn how to do those really good, I would learn some Divekick.

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com
Something that would be surprisingly good practice, besides Skullgirls, would be Divekick.
I would disagree, Divekick will not prepare you as well as other fighters.

While you are correct in stating that Divekick strips away all of the fuss of a fighting game, it also strips away a lot of mechanics needed to become used to fighting games. Like, you know, movement, and directional inputs. I agree, Divekick is all about spacing and reads, but there are much more factors going into a fighting game that a two button game with no directional input can teach you. Things like execution, for example, will not be honed with Divekick. Proper blocking in any way shape or form will not be understood with Divekick.

If you are only in need of learning spacing, sure, Divekick can help with that. Almost any other aspect of a fighting game will not be covered.

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com
I'd say the closest game to TFH is Melty Blood.
Skullgirls has extremely long BnB's, but technically speaking they're both Chain Combo games.
See, this is a good choice as well, although some Melty combos can be just as long as Skullgirls combos haha. Melty Blood can teach some bad habits as well though, like relying too much on 2A confirms and mashing a bit too hard when not needed.

So, take your pick. I'd say Melty Blood though, since it too has a 3 button system (Grabs the 4th.)
D (the fourth button) is a shield, and is used in the Shield Bunker input. It isn't just used for throw, you're thinking of the Quick Action button, E Button, whatever you want to call it.

Feanor

Proud Velveeta
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Earth
I'm curious about Mortal Kombat X (or previous). I have seen suggestions for a lot of other games, but none for MK. Would be interested to know if there is a reason for this, because my brother (my primary training partner) seems most interested in MK by far.

Oreo

Keepin' It Stylish
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
D.M.V. FGC
I'm curious about Mortal Kombat X (or previous). I have seen suggestions for a lot of other games, but none for MK. Would be interested to know if there is a reason for this
MKX and MK9 don't use normals the same way most 2D fighting games do. It's about pre-set combo strings. That doesn't really carry over into learning neutral in other games. Not to mention that the block button prevents crossups from being a thing, while it's a big part of mixups in almost every other game.

Naughta_Noob

"I mustn't betray spoon"
Backers' Beta Tester
From what I've played, either Skullgirls or Marvel 3 would probably be really close games if you want to play TFH. But what baffles me about a lot of these threads of "What do I play to git gud at TFH?", is the fact that to me TFH is probably the best fighting game to get into the genre.

Feanor

Proud Velveeta
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Earth
MKX and MK9 don't use normals the same way most 2D fighting games do. It's about pre-set combo strings. That doesn't really carry over into learning neutral in other games. Not to mention that the block button prevents crossups from being a thing, while it's a big part of mixups in almost every other game.
THATS WHAT I KEPT TELLING HIM (my brother)! That 'block button' just feels weird after SG, and it all feels.... scripted is the word I used. I shall stick to SG, I am starting to make progress with that anyway, and the tutorials are wwwaaaaaaaaaayyyy bettter. Thank you!