Worst Gaming Rages You've Ever Had

CountParadox

Is the answer to this question no?
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Kansas
We all know it happens. Something in a game just gets to you, and you very nearly throw the controller (system, tower) out of a window.

This is just a thread for those stories of rage against the games. Go ahead and tell us your story.

To start, I'll tell my worst rage. I had been playing through Final Fantasy VII, and had just beaten JENOVA for the last time. I was getting excited, finally getting to face Sephiroth for the first time in my life... And the game crashed. It did so the next few times as well, so I got so mad that I deleted the file off my memory card and tucked the game away. I bought a new disc four, but I haven't got the drive to do all of it over again.

Cronnicossy

Fighter Enthusiast & Teacher
Backers' Beta Tester
I dunno if this counts but

I tried for like 2 days to make a Mugen Character.
I couldn't find out how to make a 2nd attack button

So I deleted Mugen, all my chars, my work and didn't touch my computer for a week.

I don't rage much at video games sadly, unless I lose to a bad player in BlazBlue.

Stridershy

The King Of Goat Style
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
The Place Where Goats Are
Oh, I've had some pretty bad rages.

I once destroyed a friend's controller because of Soul Calibur III.
I've destroyed a lot of my own controllers just out of pure anger.

My greatest rage came when after about 100 or so tries at beating Valmar's Core in Grandia II. I completely lost it when I finally beat him. Just letting out a whole months worth of pent up anger and frustration.

Fifteen years later, I completed a no-death run of Grandia 2. It was pure satisfaction.

Crym4x

What do you mean i can't use a bucket as a hat
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
Canberra, Australia
You heard of a game called Dark Souls....yeah fun times fun times, I think my first huge rage with that game was with Dragon slayer orinstien and Executioner Smaug, the satisfaction of beating them was blissful in the end but the pain I endured.........but at least I can do it first go nearly every time when I do a new game+ or a new game++

Surrui

Them's Fightin' Dweeb
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Spain
www.youtube.com
One big rage I remember when I was playing Silver Surfer for NES. This game is F*CKING IMPOSSIBLE, but I managed to win all the stages and play the last part.

Plot Twist? I died. A lot. I take the game and I threw it out the window. I live on the third floor. A car ran over him :)

SquiddyWiddy

Your Local Squid
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Event 41 in Super Smash Bros Brawl. That mission was hard to beat (I especially hated the giant Mario), and I spent nearly 6 months stuck on that single event. I almost didn't want to do anything else until I beat it. On the third month in particular, I was using a GameCube controller at the time. I got so frustrated, I kept on pulling my controller out of the controller port multiple times. On one occasion though, when I yanked the controller, it didn't come out of the port, and instead my Wii ended up falling face first into the floor, and turning off in the process. I was yelling for a good 30 seconds in rage afterwards. I was lucky the Wii still worked though, and that nothing cracked. Still, no rage I've had for any game has come close to that one occasion ever since.

Kite

Wannabe Knight
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
Hmm... one moment that comes to mind for me was trying to get the "Mile High Club" achievement back in Call of Duty 4. More recently though, following a terrible match of Rainbow Six Siege, I decided to walk to the kitchen, and immediately stepped in cat puke. I was not thrilled.

SubrosianDimitri

The King of Poor Decision Making
Crowdfund Backer
Spyro: The Eternal Night on Wii. Just...all of it.

It's seriously the worst game I own, and I hate playing it. What with the unnecessary motion controls (that aren't very responsive), the cheap and overpowered enemies and attacks, the horrid button layout, and the picky platforming. I always rage when I for some reason decide to pop it into the Wii, which is at least once a year. I'll play it for an hour or so in order to gain an appreciation for games that don't suck.

But for other rage moments, mainly when I played Halo with some guys in the lounge of my dorm 2 semesters ago. Local multiplayer is ripe for that sort of thing.

Met

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
None spring to mind but I've probably had a few. I remember getting particularly salty over a Red Shell, Bob-omb, Blue Shell combo in Mario Kart one of my 'friends' went out of his way to set up.

HOWEVER, my friends I remember very well.
One was a ROB vs Sonic fight in Brawl: Sonic was his main. ROB was...well, ROB. Kind of just there on the roster. I somehow won 5-0 and caused him to break his controller.
Another time it was me and that friend with another having Nidhogg games. Pizza came so I get up to answer the door. Come back in just to hear one of them screaming and launching my pad across the room. I think I might actually still have that audio recorded for whatever reason.

snowyblitz

The poofiest of ponies.
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Fighting Ornstein ans Smaugh in Dark Souls.

I had gotten to the final phase of the fight and Ornstein was at 5% health. He then did his jump attack where he slams his lance into the ground and shoots lightning all over the area killing me in one hit. I just let out this scream of pure rage and frustration and then threw my damn controller across my room.

Reactions: Crym4x

CosmicDashie

Dank may-mays
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Canadia
I remember when i was a pissy kid

Was playing spyro attack of the rynocs on GBA, aparantly i was a huge pleb, because the tutorial area pissed me off. The bit where you had to have a little bit of timing for your jump got to me. I snapped my lovely red GBASP right in half.... (rip in pieces)

I think that was the only documented rage from me, i think i managed to piss myself off so much that i never wanted to do that again ;-;

I was a dumb kid

Silver Lining

Dwarf casts Fireball! *throws gunpowder barrel*
Backers' Beta Tester
I haven't destroyed any (physical) property in a game rage, but I can definitely remember serious rage moments.

Playing Ocarina of Time, of all games, I managed to get stuck in the Water Temple. Literally could not go forward, something about using the wrong key on the wrong door. This was back on the N64, and maybe I was just a dumb kid or maybe the dungeon really was a super-hard challenge for gamers. Long story short, I quit playing OoT for two weeks because I was upset that I had to restart.

Dark Souls has caused many a popped blood vessel upon losing tens of thousands of souls to a cheap shot, a different AI interaction or moving three pixels too close to that bottomless pit.

Any of the old multiplayer games where it didn't switch to Player 2 until Player 1 died. Looking at you, Super Mario Bros. Yeah, I'm sick of you letting my older brother pretty much beat the entire game before I get a fair turn, only to die sooner because I got frustrated waiting to play.

Lemmings. Screw those guys. They just don't listen.

PixelGrip94

Games, Movies, Music, & Ponies!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Borderlands. Just the entire game. I hated it so much and after playing through the whole game and finding nothing good about it, it pissed me off even more. It's by far the most overrated piece of s**t I've ever played. Bar none.

LockeRobster

Drawfriend & ALPHA Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Sydney, Australia
lokerobster.tumblr.com
Biggest rage for me was when I was a kid playing Tennis on the Game Boy (original). I got soo legit pissed off during a match with the smug ass AI that I head-butted (thats right, head-butted) the console with such force I shattered the liquid crystal display underneath the plastic view screen.

That was the only time I broke a gaming device out of rage.

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Biggest rage for me was when I was a kid playing Tennis on the Game Boy (original). I got soo legit pissed off during a match with the smug ass AI that I head-butted (thats right, head-butted) the console with such force I shattered the liquid crystal display underneath the plastic view screen.

That was the only time I broke a gaming device out of rage.
Wow, you reminded me of the time I was a kid and did the exact same thing with my original GBA. The game that got me to that point was Super Mario Advance 2. I was a kid and not as good at games as I am now by any means.

Surrui

Them's Fightin' Dweeb
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Spain
www.youtube.com
Borderlands. Just the entire game. I hated it so much and after playing through the whole game and finding nothing good about it, it pissed me off even more. It's by far the most overrated piece of s**t I've ever played. Bar none.
You need to play Borderlands 2. It's... It's...

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
You need to play Borderlands 2. It's... It's...

Tried it. The only problem I found from the first one that they fixed was the fast travel and the mini-map. Besides that, I still hated it.

DShou

Tianhuo is Best Longma
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
dshou.deviantart.com
Oh man I'm not one to understand raging to a point of destruction, the best I get is when I try to play a game but the game's poor mechanics or features are just disruptive and un-fun. I'm good for a challenge otherwise.

Best I remember is me ranting over Half-Life 2 to a point of depressing a friend who liked the game (my bad) - because in my very personal opinion it's pretty terrible all-around in mechanics, audio, gameplay, weight - it was also giving me a terrible headache :v again, personal opinion.

This was a while ago so idk if I can handle playing it again or if I'd have the same headaches again.

Knightingale

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I was a terrible kid.
I was playing Crash Team Racing, and I kept losing on this one track and I ended up getting so mad I took the disk out and snapped it in half, then after realizing what I had done, I hid the disk under the box where we kept all the game cases. I think it was one of my brother's too so thank god they never found out. I even had forgotten about it until years later when I was cleaning up everything in that room.
Aside from that I once cried and begged my babysitter to turn the game off after she stole all of my mario party stars and put me in last place two turns before the end.
Thank god that's it, any other rage has just been "Man, I'm done with this" and going on to play something different.

D-Money107

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
I remember being so frustrated with the Mini-Game Coaster from Mario Party 2 when I was in Middle School (Especially on Hard Mode). Mecha Marathon was a major pain for me to accomplish since I couldn't mash as fast as I could now. Also, don't get me started on Mario Superstar Baseball's later missions (I flipping hate Baby Mario's booted ball mission).

Altashi

Never Was a Wiser
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Western Australia
Raging over games themselves is silly. :p

Now, raging over other players in a co-operative game where there's always that one guy who just HAS to be the hero and leads everyone else to failure. That's something to rage over.

Laurel Crown

Leader of the Proud Nation of Velvetia
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Every time I had to restart one story chapter in Very Hard mode on F-Zero GX. UNlocking every character in the game was one of the most satisfying moments I've ever had.

Rich Jammer

By the Numbers Accountant
Backers' Beta Tester
You heard of a game called Dark Souls....yeah fun times fun times, I think my first huge rage with that game was with Dragon slayer orinstien and Executioner Smaug, the satisfaction of beating them was blissful in the end but the pain I endured.........but at least I can do it first go nearly every time when I do a new game+ or a new game++
Oh my gosh! Frigging Anor Londo was such a nightmare. First it's that dang secret path to the left but if you didn't know you would have seen a bunch of signs saying Leap of faith into nothing. Then later those dang snipers! Then those giant guards near the boss doors. Then of course those two jerks Ornstein and Smaug.

Another rage moment for me was trying to finish a mission in Skate 2 with a busted right analog stick.

Reactions: Sutekh94

Necroceine

One Fiery Birdie
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Connecticut, USA
Then later those dang snipers!
Five playthroughs later I still have a lot of trouble with that one part. Even if I get to them one of them will knock me off a few times before I can make it through.

Another main source of gaming rage that comes to mind is Darkest Dungeon. Fights can go from great to terrible so quickly in that game and it just snowballs. If one person does than your entire formation is ruined, and one stressed character can stress the rest of your party out.

I have deleted three saves and started over, mostly from not playing for a while after losing my most amazing character to a boss fight, he was actually one of the starting characters.

I didn't pick it up again until the official release where I beat three bosses before having everything go terrible again.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Mario Brothers.

Super freaking Mario Brothers.

I can pretty much sum up my experience with that game in the the following words I screamed over and over:

"I JUMPED! I PUSHED THE JUMP BUTTON!!!!!"

Reactions: Chad B.

Talen-Jei

Gureato Daze
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 8, 2016
Louisiana
Mortal Kombat 9, against Shao Kahn. I almost broke a controller. That was the worst rage I've had.

Though the worst gaming rage I've witnessed was on Counter Strike stream which ended up with the police being called for domestic disturbance.

Kegradigm

Professional Heister
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I have two words for you: Bad teammates.

There's plenty of bad teammates around, and in such a wide variety, but there's one type that I utterly hate the most.
They have two defining characteristics:
1. They act like they're stupid.
2. They act like they're important.

Normally a bad teammate like this wouldn't be that big of a problem in any other multiplayer game, but I happened to have had the misfortune to come across one in PAYDAY 2, which is a game about being a professional (which they are most certainly not), and mistakes would generally hinder the rest of the crew, if not jeopardize the entire heist. What made this situation even worse was that I came across one in a stealth only heist, where mistakes would usually be very costly and result in the alarm being sounded and the whole heist having to be restarted.

Me, being the kind and compassionate bank robber that I was, tried to help out the poor soul with his crippling characteristic #1 and educate him on how to not get caught. But characteristic #2 came into play and my teachings were responded with names that would change ratings being thrown at me. A few tries, several unoriginal insults, a kick, an apology to the rest of the crew, and a leave later, I had my elbows on my table, face rested on my palms, screaming internally.

I vowed to solo stealth heists from then on.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Ahh, PAYDAY 2... I learned very quickly that playing in pub lobbies was very iffy at best, and that it was a million times better playing with a full crew of friends. Then again, everything's better with friends. :)
Indeed it is. Unless that thing is Dokapon Kingdom.

I don't know if I can ever forgive my friend for stealing my spear...(that I stole from someone else)

Sir Zabblepants

It's not easy being cheesy
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
First time around doing Anor Londo's 360 noscope brigade, and the Super Londo Bros themselves, Ornstein and Smough.

Protip: If you have the stomach for backtracking, consider killing Pinwheel first. That guy just goes squish. Free souls and more tasty Estus. Found the Eagle shield was pretty good at mitigating executioner killytubby's buttslam attack, too.

Necroceine

One Fiery Birdie
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Connecticut, USA
In Skullgirls I raged for a while at Maria when I first faced her. It was in arcade mode, and I was playing Peacock. She seemed easier in story mode, giving more openings between attacks, or maybe I just knew what to do better.

I usually rage at fighting game final bosses. They have a habit of throwing rules out the window. Arcana Heart might've been the worst, but I know it happened in Blazblue: Continuum Shift too.

Sir'osaurus-Rex

Classiest of Dinosaurs
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
What truly awful memories this brings up. I used to have awful anger management which made me rage in many games. The worst I ever did though was on the final fight in MK9, I am no good at fighting games and that fight was super unfair in my opinion, so I threw the controller, the last functioning one that me and my brother had to share, and none of the buttons after that functioned correctly. To say the least he did not forgive me.

However his rage fits were the worst. He once lost in a game on his psp and began to viciously biting it until the screen was cracked, he wasn't that young either he was probably 11.
Dang rage is the worst isn't it? Glad to say I have grown out of my rage makes games like Dark Souls and Bloodborne all the more enjoyable.

Rich Jammer

By the Numbers Accountant
Backers' Beta Tester
Mortal Kombat 9, against Shao Kahn. I almost broke a controller. That was the worst rage I've had.

Though the worst gaming rage I've witnessed was on Counter Strike stream which ended up with the police being called for domestic disturbance.
When I played MK9 I found the likes of Goro, Kintaro, and Shao Kahn easy cause I found an easy exploit to beat them. I would just get really close to them. When it looked like they were gonna do an attack animation I would jump over them then uppercut them while they were still busy doing their long animation. Rinse and repeat till dead. But of course I was playing in the default difficulty.

drawmesunshine

Knitting fever
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Planet Neighmek
Playing Ocarina of Time, of all games, I managed to get stuck in the Water Temple. Literally could not go forward, something about using the wrong key on the wrong door. This was back on the N64, and maybe I was just a dumb kid or maybe the dungeon really was a super-hard challenge for gamers. Long story short, I quit playing OoT for two weeks because I was upset that I had to restart.
Ooh, the same thing happened to me the first time I played it. The Water Temple is the worst.

In FFIX, I had been playing the same game on and off for, like, three years, when I finally made it to the final boss and I could. not. beat him. I had fairly low level characters comparatively, but refused to go back and grind more, so I just dropped it and left it alone for a really long time. Some time later, I got a wild hair and popped it in. I got lucky and beat him on the first try. It felt soooo nice

Crym4x

What do you mean i can't use a bucket as a hat
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
Canberra, Australia
In FFIX, I had been playing the same game on and off for, like, three years, when I finally made it to the final boss and I could. not. beat him. I had fairly low level characters comparatively, but refused to go back and grind more, so I just dropped it and left it alone for a really long time. Some time later, I got a wild hair and popped it in. I got lucky and beat him on the first try. It felt soooo nice
It's not as bad as the freaking Cactuar ambushes in FFX i got stuck at a point where i get so far and boom 4 Cactuar's ambush me and they all want to use 10000 needles (granted i still had people left but Kimahri, Lulu and Yuna wasn't the best choice in that area), got past it after some luck and went on to fight on the air ship ^^

Ultra Lucky Cat

Best Felyne Food Skill
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I'm not one to rage anymore, but it wasn't always like that. Back when I was a teeny, tiny Ultra Lucky Kitten, I used to rage quite a bit towards my parents. They would always play games with me, especially puzzle games. I personally don't remember this, but mom swears up and down that it happened. One night, dad beat me at Tetris Attack very thoroughly, like, I didn't have a chance. So I got so mad I slapped him across the face. He slapped me right back without hesitation but mom said he felt absolutely terrible afterwards. But that slap was a wake-up call. That was the moment I learned how to chill the ---- out and deal with losing gracefully. It was also the start of me learning how to improve instead of whining in general. Truly the best rage I ever had.