Will the game be successful?

How successful do you think this game will be?

• It will be the next Street Fighter!

• It will be able to compete with top fighting games like Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter

• It will be a regular EVO contender

• It will be able to compete with SkullGirls

• It will flop

• It will be a moderate game but won't be that successful

• It will die out very soon

• The game will be able to generate a consistent tournament scene

Results are only viewable after voting.

Gyrohullu

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 20, 2016
Finland
www.studiomaunu.fi
Of course there is the success of the crowdfund, as they already got paid for the game from that somewhat.
But will the game reach out further into the market? -- Maybe. That's the question. Some indie games do get really popular, too, like Minecraft or Undertale for example.

Hopefully it doesn't get held back by the fact that it features animal fighters.
There's this new movie that set new box office records, Zootopia (or Zootropolis as we call it here), I'm sure you've heard of it, which featured animals (although they were anthro). I wonder, if the reason for the success was that they are anthro, or that they are animals, or that it has a timeless theme, great characters which were good enough to overcome the animal-like creatures, or if it was that added to the thing.
Well -- the fact that the characters were animals didn't make the movie a failure, but instead opened the door for some jokes.

PS: I don't think that good box office success alone makes a good movie, Michael Bay's movies for example.

PPS: I compared a successful movie to a game, which isn't that fair for there is no gameplay in movies, and games are rated for their gameplay (of course).

Last edited:

Hadoking

Feb 28, 2016
Of course there is the success of the crowdfund, as they already got paid for the game from that somewhat.
But will the game reach out further into the market? -- Maybe. That's the question. Some indie games do get really popular, too, like Minecraft or Undertale for example.

There's this new movie that set new box office records, Zootopia (or Zootropolis as we call it here), I'm sure you've heard of it, which featured animals (although they were anthro). I wonder, if the reason for the success was that they are anthro, or that they are animals, or that it has a timeless theme, great characters which were good enough to overcome the animal-like creatures, or if it was that added to the thing.
Well -- the fact that the characters were animals didn't make the movie a failure, but instead opened the door for some jokes.

PS: I don't think that good box office success alone makes a good movie, Michael Bay's movies for example.

PPS: I compared a successful movie to a game, which isn't that fair for there is no gameplay in movies, and games are rated for their gameplay (of course).
Difference between that is the gameplay(as noted by you). A lot of people would just glance at it and go play Street Fighter as this doesn't look promising at first glance. People would just dismiss it as a "crappy furry fighter"(ah youtube, you gotta love it) or (after seeing gameplay) dismiss it as a "boring anime fighter". Street Cred goes a long way in the FGC.

Koiyuki

Humble subject of the Empire of Tianhuo
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 18, 2016
Somewhere in SoCal
Difference between that is the gameplay(as noted by you). A lot of people would just glance at it and go play Street Fighter as this doesn't look promising at first glance. People would just dismiss it as a "crappy furry fighter"(ah youtube, you gotta love it) or (after seeing gameplay) dismiss it as a "boring anime fighter". Street Cred goes a long way in the FGC.
That much is true. If memory serves, though, when the original iteration of this game came out, people were giving it a lot of love, outside of the few haters it drew, and there a lot of talk about the community that supported it making the trip to the EVO, just to support it. Who know? Maybe with enough time, the same thing will happen again, perhaps on a broader scale, since there isn't the impending threat of a C&D looming over it now, unlike the original iteration

Hadoking

Feb 28, 2016
That much is true. If memory serves, though, when the original iteration of this game came out, people were giving it a lot of love, outside of the few haters it drew, and there a lot of talk about the community that supported it making the trip to the EVO, just to support it. Who know? Maybe with enough time, the same thing will happen again, perhaps on a broader scale, since there isn't the impending threat of a C&D looming over it now, unlike the original iteration
Yeah, it's honestly just something in the back of my mind by now. Fighting game fans have proven(Most of the time) that gameplay is more valuable than appearance. I mean, you gotta say, these guys are talking the game in the right direction.

Saki

Spirit of a Pro Gamer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
That was a pretty specific situation. In 2013 EVO's 8th main stage spot was meant to be given to the winner of a donation drive for breast cancer research. One which Fighting is Magic was on one hand far from winning, but on the other it still gathered more $$$ than many mainstream titles, giving it some spotlight at the time (and also possibly inspiring The Toy Company's C&D).

Skullgirls was indeed never main stage at EVO. It was present at EVO every year since its release (4 times and counting), but always as a side stage tournament.

That said, makes me wonder how should the "regular EVO contender" poll option be interpreted. If it included side stage events, it would be synonymous with "be able to compete with Skullgirls", so I'm guessing it's specifically for being a main stage event, and for at least two years at that.

Looking at how much time/effort/money/polishing/balancing went into SG vs it never making main stage... yeah, I'd say side stage is a more achievable dream to have.
All the people who would be playing Skullgirls-styled fighter are playing UMVC3 on main stage. I mean, TFH fills a different, arcsys-shaped hole that arcsys games apparently can fill, but maybe not. But we get Smash on main stage, which is awesome. I would like to see TFH on main stage, though.