Will discussion in the Visual Lobby be restricted?

Parka Pi

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 10, 2016
I'm really asking two questions here.

1. Will the Visual Lobby only be accessible through servers run by Mane6?
2. If that is the case, will there be restrictions on what can and cannot be discussed in the Visual Lobby? Will there be wordfilters, or perhaps even bans?

Reactions: Gamerdude854

Gamerdude854

Pizza Pasta
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 7, 2016
Canada
I'm pretty sure it's already been confirmed that the lobby's are going to be mainly kept somewhat family friendly

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
I'm sure it'll be only hosted by the Mane6 Staff. I mean, makes sense right?
I wanna know so bad if you can spectate other peoples fights from just watching their rumbling dustcloud...
I would expect yes, as in the visual lobby trailer you can see a "spectate" option on the "click on the other character" menu.

Also I hope it won't be that awfully moderated save from swearing and weeding out the uncouth. Like a standard multiplayer game, really.

Queezeey

Fighting game amateur
Feb 4, 2016
a desk
I wonder if the visual lobby will be like Club Penguin. Except you can fight everyone.
I know Club Penguin had tour guides. Hopefully there'll be an equivalent in Them's Fightin' Herds.
"Oh, do not be alarmed! Brutal street fights are commonplace here in Fœnum!"

Personally, I'm wondering about the player limit for the lobby. Right now, I'm imagining PlanetSide 2 with snowballs for bullets.

But in regards to your question, you can be reasonably certain there will be some restrictions in place. Whether they take the form of word filters or a reporting system, though, is too early to say.

super hurricane

Feb 13, 2016
If anything, there should be a swear filter or a Admin supervising the chatroom changing places every 12 hours. Though I would prefer not to be restricted to the lobby for fighting, as there's a entire world to brawl in and challenge others or hang out with them.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
If anything, there should be a swear filter or a Admin supervising the chatroom changing places every 12 hours. Though I would prefer not to be restricted to the lobby for fighting, as there's a entire world to brawl in and challenge others or hang out with them.
It was mentioned thath lobby will be only one way to get into matches. There will be standard matchmaking option as well.

There should be a standard swear filter, a report button if someone is really getting out of hand (which could save the discussion log for the last x minutes, so as to let people check the report's legitimacy), and maybe roaming moderators to abuse their godly powers. No need to over-complicate things.

Efrath

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Sweden
It would make sense that the visual lobby will have restrictions language wise, wouldn't honestly surprise me if communication in it consisted solely of emotes and pre-written lines to help reduce spamming a little bit and prevent text from cluttering the screen. I also assumed that it'd be possible to send private messages or open a private chat.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if there was no restrictions nor filters but seeing as it's a visual lobby, there's more to take in account than just what's "okay" to say or not. Then again, perhaps they'll keep chat messages in a box in the corner of the screen but I am assuming that messages will pop up above your character.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
I find the consensus here troubling. As a grown man who talks about children's cartoons on the internet, I have no idea how to articulate my thoughts without using profanity. Well, there's always Steam's built-in chat feature.
Not sure if sarcasm or not..... Still, language filters can usually be switched off and they only "star" out swear words, so it's not like noone will understand you if you have tourette.
It would make sense that the visual lobby will have restrictions language wise, wouldn't honestly surprise me if communication in it consisted solely of emotes and pre-written lines to help reduce spamming a little bit and prevent text from cluttering the screen. I also assumed that it'd be possible to send private messages or open a private chat.
Check the visual lobby trailer on youtube. There is a chat box at ~35seconds in. Looks like it will be more MMO-like than your usual lobby. Language restriction... not sure if necessary. Sure, there might be some who spam swearing in foreign languages because they can, but the vast majority will try to be understood.

danmiy12

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
Hawaii
I hope its not as annoying as animal crossing swear filter its so bad that you cant even use workaround to swear and its too strict..I hope its more like it posts your messge but **** your swear words so at least you cant see it...

Hadoking

Feb 28, 2016
Worse case scenario: Any remote indication of a swear word stops your message from being sent.

Dragonbyte

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
I don't really mind profanity filters etc on hypothetical official lobbies. The game is trying to put forward a roughly PG13 feel, part of that is a bunch of asterisks in the chat box.

I'm going to be really disappointed if there's no way for a player or community to host their own lobby though, and to be able to decide what restrictions if any are going to apply.