Why do Velvets poke with 5C?

ph00tbag

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Oct 19, 2016
I've been trying to figure this out for a while now. I watch Velvets poking with 5C when their opponent is on the ground, then getting punished because their opponent knew how to hold down, and I've been looking at the move in training mode trying to figure out what makes them think it's better than 2C.

The only advantage I see to 5C is its range, but the more I look at all of the stats, the more I really wonder if that's worth all of the weaknesses. 5C is less safe, does less damage, doesn't hit crouching except at the closest range--negating its long-range poking power against low-profile spammers, and moves Velvet's hurtbox forward significantly. 2C may not reach as high or as far as 5C, but it still stuffs short-hops, while also hitting low-profile for its full range, does more damage, is safer on whiff and block, and has its own low-profile on start-up to boot. It's greatest flaw is one frame of exposed hurtbox right after the hitbox goes back in, but considering the forward motion of 5C, I see it as a wash. The moves have the same damage modifier and JD, so that's not helping any either.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?

Reactions: Buck and Erkicman

Svierrod

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
I'm guessing it's because s. :C: has higher priority than c. :C:. Or at least, it looks like it has much higher priority. Having the red box stick out further than her green box helps you ensure that you beat somebody's poke instead of trading with them, and c. :C: looks like it should have low priority. It kind of does, compared to s. :C:, but not nearly as bad as it looks.

At least part of it comes from that, anyway. People who haven't done science and looked into which button is better in more circumstances will gravitate towards the one that looks bigger and looks like it has higher priority, instead of actually checking all of the factors for themselves. And the uninformed opinion is probably "Cool! Ice magic! That's powerful!" vs. "Boo! Not ice magic! That's not powerful!"

Reactions: Buck and Erkicman

ph00tbag

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Oct 19, 2016
Don't get me wrong, the disjointedness of 5C makes it really solid for punishing neutral jumps to try to evade icicles, and a few other mid to full screen defensive options, but against down backs and aggressive jump-ins, it seems like a generally terrible idea. Generally, I'd say poke/counterpoke with 2C, punish with 5C.

Reactions: Erkicman