Which is better?

Snivian Moon

How I mine for combo?
Backers' Beta Tester
I just want to say that I absolutely love the Hitbox controller. It's a fantastic piece of hardware! I've been playing fighting games off and on for years on a Hitbox, and now I can't really go back to stick.

It allows me to input motions with much more precision than I'm able with a stick, because I can't over-input. Quarter and half-circles are easy to execute - Some particular SNK motions I really struggled with on a stick, because I wound up in the air so much, accidentally jumping (Notably, :6:,:4:,:1:,:2:,:3:,:6::+::atk:, or :2:,:1:,:4:,:1:,:2:,:3:,:6::+::atk:).

It's not necessarily the absolute best, as I've seen people using stick WAY better than I can use a hitbox. Plus, double jump canceling is a bit wonky to me on a hitbox. Nevertheless, I really like it a lot.

qspec

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The best part of the hitbox to me is how easy it makes things like KBD in Tekken or IAD in all games. My IAD is reasonably solid, but even trying it out on the keyboard, it feels half like cheating.

That said, other motions I find more uncomfortable than using the stick. But like I said, it is ultimately all preference and comfort.

Hericks

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 24, 2016
Fresno, CA
I personally have a generic game pad that resembles a playstation controller. I played playstation so much as a kid that it just feels right in my hands. Xboc controllers just feel weird to me, and I can't play on the keyboard for the life of me.

Mine is far from the best controller out there, but it only costed me something like $8 on ebay, and it seems to work just fine.
Although I often wonder if using an actual PS3 controller would work better? I'd have to figure out how to install it on my computer though, cus I heard you can't just plug-and-play a PS3 controller.
Anybody know how to do that btw?

TwistedKestrel

Feb 26, 2018
I will say that as a mewling baby beginner, I started with a Xbox 360 controller then switched to a PS4 and noticed a huge difference. I have a Genesis-style USB controller buried in a box somewhere that I want to try as well

Tribble

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Germany
Come on everyone knows the only way to fight is with the DDR pad
I have to say, with my hand hurting from playing too much, a DDR pad sounds quite tempting for a change. The combo trials at different speeds could be a nice workout routine...

Pom d'or

Gave himself a fake award
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
A little different since the thumb is jump whereas I think most keyboard players use 'w' for jump(?).
That's interesting. I've never used an actual hitbox but I've always assumed the thumb would be :2:.

Someday I'd like to try one. At the moment I'm using keyboard, with a button config that puts the keys at my fingertips like they'd be on a hitbox... it's sort of a poor man's hitbox. But I have :2: on the thumb (V, with W:4:, E:8:, and R:6:).

qspec

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
If you wanted to try and map to something similar to a hitbox, set Space as your jump/up button. It makes more sense than it seems once you use it.

Reactions: Pom d'or

Pom d'or

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
Cool. So then down is... the middle finger? I think I'll just get confused, but I'll give it a try.

(Incidentally, the spacebar on my keyboard is a little fiddly, that's why I used V instead.)

Reactions: Nightshade

Tribble

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Germany
(Incidentally, the spacebar on my keyboard is a little fiddly, that's why I used V instead.)
Yeah, I found that, too. Tried the space = jump for a bit, but the space key is just so huuuuge and feels ... not as snappy as a letter key. I tried it with j, k, l as the other directions, and the hand position was pretty bad, too. Now I'm thinking j, i, o might have been more ergonomic. Or k, o, p plus the right Alt key, if that is even possible. Oh well, I'm back to i, j, k, l, though I'm painfully aware that my middle finger needs to do a lot of work. Still, it's way better for me than a game pad.

Batandy

Feb 28, 2018
If you can, get a Ps4 Pad, they are the controller of choice for people who play fighting games and don't want a fightstick, I'd totally avoid the xbox controller because the dpad sucks and playing fighting games with the analog stick isn't that great.

If you want to use a keyboard, make sure it's mechanical and set the keys so they feel comfortable, i'd recommend wasd for up-left-down-right and numpad 4 for low attack, numpad 5 for mid attack, numpad 2 for high attack and numpad 1 for magic attack, this way you can easily switch to a hitbox and keep the muscle memory for the combos (or even a fightstick, though with more difficulty considering the wasd > lever change)

qspec

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
If you can, get a Ps4 Pad, they are the controller of choice for people who play fighting games and don't want a fightstick, I'd totally avoid the xbox controller because the dpad sucks and playing fighting games with the analog stick isn't that great.

If you want to use a keyboard, make sure it's mechanical and set the keys so they feel comfortable, i'd recommend wasd for up-left-down-right and numpad 4 for low attack, numpad 5 for mid attack, numpad 2 for high attack and numpad 1 for magic attack, this way you can easily switch to a hitbox and keep the muscle memory for the combos (or even a fightstick, though with more difficulty considering the wasd > lever change)
That's not hitpad layout. The thumb controls the jump on hitpad (unless you rebind it).

Pom d'or

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
I'd totally avoid the xbox controller because the dpad sucks
Agreed. I wonder what use case Microsoft had in mind for that dpad. Like, what kind of games were they expecting that design to be good for?

numpad 4 for low attack, numpad 5 for mid attack, numpad 2 for high attack and numpad 1 for magic attack
That's interesting. With that setup, are you using two fingers to cover the four attack buttons? Not criticizing, just curious. (If you're using four fingers with that layout it seems like they'd be all bunched up in a little square. I have numpad 456 for light-mid-heavy, each with its own finger, and then my thumb on numpad 0 for magic. But I'm no pro, and you might know better than I do.)

Snivian Moon

How I mine for combo?
Backers' Beta Tester
I think Microsoft realized their d-pad was awful after a while. They released a 360 controller with a 'transforming' d-pad at one point, where you could twist the d-pad and put it in a 'not suck' mode. It was actually really great, and looked pretty slick too!

Then they decided that wasn't a good idea and went back to the awful d-pads for the XBone. Which will perpetually confuse me.

On another topic, has anyone ever tried a MixBox Arcade controller? I'm a pretty die-hard HitBox Arcade fan, but I'm curious if anyone's ever tried the MixBox and what their opinion of it might be.

Lurk

Feb 17, 2018
Xbox controller, but only because it didn't require extra software to run with Steam, as opposed to a PS3 controller at the time.

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
I first tried playing TFH on a keyboard, and I liked the feel of it, but without a proper gaming keyboard, it sometimes doesn't register all of my commands. In lieu of that, I've been sticking with a 360 controller. My only issue with a joystick is getting reliable diagonal inputs, but that's somewhat an issue with me the player, not just the controller.

VendiMANS

Argentine fgs player
Feb 5, 2018
Buenos Aires
I play with the xbox one controller, the dpad is pretty nice (and a 100 times better than the 360, boy I couldn't even play platformers with that)
A friend of mine bought the game recently and said he couldn't play it with a keyboard so I wouldn't suggest that

Reactions: Pom d'or