What would "ruin" Them Fightin' Herds for you?

Cannox

Annoyed Pot of Coffee
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
As in, what aspect, mechanic, or plot-point in the final version of TFM would be bad enough for you to, if not completely turn away from it, at least not make you really want to play it anymore.

Mind you, this is a theoretical problem, since 1). Game's still in development, anything can change, and 2). Our benevolent overlor- erm, moderators and designers Mane6 can't possibly do anything wrong!

Gamerdude854

Pizza Pasta
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 7, 2016
Canada
Probably something stupid like micro-transactions, but considering how loyal the developers are I highly doubt that would ever happen

danmiy12

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
Hawaii
I also agree that microtransactions or forced always online even in single player will prob ruin it but I dont think either of those are going to happen. New characters that you have to pay for is fine though seeing how much work has to go into them unless they go the skullgirls route where they crowdfund a character so we all get it for free.

Stunthead

Springbok when
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
Probably something stupid like micro-transactions, but considering how loyal the developers are I highly doubt that would ever happen
I also agree that microtransactions or forced always online even in single player will prob ruin it but I dont think either of those are going to happen. New characters that you have to pay for is fine though seeing how much work has to go into them unless they go the skullgirls route where they crowdfund a character so we all get it for free.
You guys are on my level. Crowdfunded DLC FTW.

Solvandus

Chin Piece
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Two big make-or-breakers for me in anything online are netcode and community. :U

The community seems pretty cool, just gotta' see what kinda' moderation there'll be on harassment and sportsmanlike conduct. And for netcode, I have faith in our Mane Six overlords~.

Oh, and if one character is stronger enough than the others that people default to them. But again, faith in our overlords~.

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

xCROOKEDx

Strongest Bee in the World!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Unironic midichlorians.

But, seriously, if the game just isn't fun to play, then that would ruin it for me.

UngulateX

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 17, 2016
If they keep Paprika as a flat "LOL hurts and annoys everyone by accident" character, and never bring up how sad it would be to be detested by your own home who you just want to love, I'll be pretty ticked off. This series can afford to go deeper than just a gag series with mandatory friendship lessons, and I'd be upset if all they did with it was replicate Looney Toons gags.

Seriously, if there's anyone I'd like to see a "Evil Ryu" clone of, it's Paprika.

EAiscool

The conversation starter
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 18, 2016
Incredibly unlikely to happen, but if there is any form of ToD then I'll probably stop playing it. That would include a combo that leads into an unblockable and unavoidable setup as well as just a combo that kills you outright.

That kind of thing just sucks all of the fun out of Fighting games.

- DarkSidePhil actually being competitive at a fighting game.
He won a street fighter tournament at EVO once. Sorry for ruining TFH for you. :^)

Reactions: Baron_Von_Fringling

Lanxide

I wish I was cool
Feb 3, 2016
Melbourne Fl
I would say when Mane6 start using top memes to help improve sales or capture people's attention. I don't even want to think about TFH having Lawyer Friendly Equines/Brony memes(besides the color pallet obviously) in game. I'm here for the gameplay and the rich story telling by the team and not "hey it's 20% cooler with extra bass cannon lolololoolol DERPY!!1"
But I got nothing to worry about.......right?

Rich Jammer

By the Numbers Accountant
Backers' Beta Tester
Last edited:

Nivek_Draco

I don't even care what my username means.
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
'MURICA
As in, what aspect, mechanic, or plot-point in the final version of TFM would be bad enough for you to, if not completely turn away from it, at least not make you really want to play it anymore.

Mind you, this is a theoretical problem, since 1). Game's still in development, anything can change, and 2). Our benevolent overlor- erm, moderators and designers Mane6 can't possibly do anything wrong!
I like to have key-binding. Being stuck with a control scheme you don't like ruins games for me.

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com
Pretty much all fighting games have that. It just something that you have to get used to.
Okay, can I get you to go play SF2 and get me an excessively long Dhalsim combo please?

Not trying to call you out at all, but you are just simply wrong. A lot of games have shorter than average combos, and a lot of games (VSav, and most Guilty Gears being a good example here) generally focus on getting a knockdown into a good Oki setup.

0Zero100

Alpaka Representative/Robot Family Bear
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
IF IT DIDN'T HAVE EVERYTHING THAT WE'VE TALKED ABOUT ON THE FORUMS!!!!

No, but seriously, I think if the story or music doesn't hold up, then I won't find as much enjoyment out of the game as I had hoped. (Although, with our crew, that is a LONGSHOT.)

A88mph

Game Maker and Starship Captain.
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
a88mph.itch.io
The only deal-breaker I can think of is if The Toy Company, somehow, C&D's this game out of some kind of spite.

Think about it, this could have been more or less theirs. They could have had licence the series to Mane6, get awesome product in Fighting is Magic, and even more admiration from the community. But they threw that away with a knee-jerk reaction.

Feanor

Proud Velveeta
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Earth
If they keep Paprika as a flat "LOL hurts and annoys everyone by accident" character, and never bring up how sad it would be to be detested by your own home who you just want to love, I'll be pretty ticked off. This series can afford to go deeper than just a gag series with mandatory friendship lessons, and I'd be upset if all they did with it was replicate Looney Toons gags.

Seriously, if there's anyone I'd like to see a "Evil Ryu" clone of, it's Paprika.
totally nailed it. Depth folks. There is no more excuse of 'show for little girls', make it happen.

Cronnicossy

Fighter Enthusiast & Teacher
Backers' Beta Tester
If the game was too simple.
Who'd wanna play it after two years?

Though I'm the guy who made the scene for Sonic The Fighters big, and trying to make a local Pokken scene (and Pokken's a SUPER Simple game),
that said-- I'd still play it to hell even if it was simple.

But it'd make me worry for the game in the eyes of hardcore FGC peepz.

crispyruffles

Addicted to Skullgirls til this comes out
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016

An unbalance of character abilities.

Queezeey

Fighting game amateur
Feb 4, 2016
a desk
1. Not being able to wear more than 1 cosmetic at a time.
2. A really simple story - I'm hoping for at least a plot twist, some character development, or some secondary source of conflict separate from "oh no predators invading".

Last edited:

Gandrake

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
totally nailed it. Depth folks. There is no more excuse of 'show for little girls', make it happen.
Yeah, though from what I've seen, it already seems to be lacking in depth, what with the predators still seemingly being one dimensional and there being no male or predator characters. Like, the former one about gender is kinda weird, but I am strangely disappointing in the lack of male characters since this isn't a show for little girls and I bet just as many backers are dudes as chicks.
I dunno, I just hope for a nice variety of characters and a little grayness. Let's hope we get it.

Proxyvirus

That Dragonshy Person
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Austin, TX
Yeah, though from what I've seen, it already seems to be lacking in depth, what with the predators still seemingly being one dimensional and there being no male or predator characters. Like, the former one about gender is kinda weird, but I am strangely disappointing in the lack of male characters since this isn't a show for little girls and I bet just as many backers are dudes as chicks.
I dunno, I just hope for a nice variety of characters and a little grayness. Let's hope we get it.
Well it could be a possible chance it could be balanced between genders but I wouldn't be suprised if there weren't much girls then boys

Um the one thing that prolly hurt me the most is who will be the spamtastic or over used character in online matches... *thought of most fighting game*

ALSO, NO UNFAIR BOSSES; I TEND TO GET PEEVED OFF EASILY WHEN A FIGHTING GAME HAVE A ANNOYING BOSS WITH A "F#%K YOU" KIND OF MOVESET!

TigerKirby215

I should be doing work right now
Crowdfund Backer
Mar 29, 2016
>Microtransactions
Or any of the stupid slander that the "Triple A" industry is trying to push around lately.

Also if there are any Five Nights at Freddy's references I will turn into a predator and eat the entire cast. :mad:
Oleander, because Satan Horse is best horse.
P.S. The last point also extends into other reference material. Particularly things like Homestuck.

Nivek_Draco

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
'MURICA
>Microtransactions
Or any of the stupid slander that the "Triple A" industry is trying to push around lately.

Also if there are any Five Nights at Freddy's references I will turn into a predator and eat the entire cast. :mad:
Oleander, because Satan Horse is best horse.
P.S. The last point also extends into other reference material. Particularly things like Homestuck.
Who gives a #### about FNAF anymore? It's all about Undertale now.

Barbaloot

Bringer of sorrow and also donuts.
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Wisconsin
Same thing that turned me off of Pokken: having the game be a spam-fest.

Judging from what we've seen so far, and my experience with [REDACTED], I don't think i'll have to worry about it too much though.

danmiy12

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
Hawaii
It doesnt look to be a spam fest esp with how the magic system is pretty limiting for some characters or others being held back by something (like paprika needing to charge some moves)

...and that juggle decay might fix some extra problems that come up in testing hopefully though it really didnt do much in skullgirls we still saw some 100%-> 0% combos with some matchups... and the decay meter was flashing like crazy but did nothing..

danmiy12

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
Hawaii
What would ruin the game for me?

That the next trailer will have a voice over that says "make your opponents cry like a brony on prom night" and the effects looking like pizza bagels.
That would be hilarious...though unlike that game we are seeing monthly progress on this project so we sorta know where its going so even if they did it well we do know that at least the game is going to be good... also good thing that happened though since it shows us how badly you can fail a trailer that it can turn off the ones who backed you...well do what mighty number 9 did...

Nadia

Feb 4, 2016
Germany
ALSO, NO UNFAIR BOSSES; I TEND TO GET PEEVED OFF EASILY WHEN A FIGHTING GAME HAVE A ANNOYING BOSS WITH A "F#%K YOU" KIND OF MOVESET!
Great... now I want to see a Panther with Omega Rugals Moveset in the game. xD

I love the SNK Boss Syndrome ö.ö

The only thing that could ruin the game for me, would be if the Devs would have to work with a "evil" publisher company that demands changes to make the game more "mainstream".

Reactions: Feanor

ChaotixSpark

Whiffs for Days
Backers' Beta Tester
Mar 18, 2016
Game seems really combo string heavy. There doesnt seem to be much interaction between characters or any kind of BURST mechanic or anything of the like to interrupt combos. And don't say combo decay, there's always ways around that to do a casual 60%. Other than that, I dont really know much else on the game and I've been saving the streams for a single day of indulge, so they might have already touched on like a full meter to use burst or something like that.

Thai Ming

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Game seems really combo string heavy. There doesnt seem to be much interaction between characters or any kind of BURST mechanic or anything of the like to interrupt combos. And don't say combo decay, there's always ways around that to do a casual 60%. Other than that, I dont really know much else on the game and I've been saving the streams for a single day of indulge, so they might have already touched on like a full meter to use burst or something like that.
Skullgirls managed to make their crazy combo system engaging on both sides by heavily incentivising resets (ergo, ending your combo voluntarily and giving the other player a spot to act) by scaling down the damage you do and the meter you gain overtime and simultaneously scaling up the meter your opponent gets for getting hit in a row. They had a hard combo limiter in form of an eventual ability to burst too, but that wouldn't trigger until a few hits into any new combo. So a skilled player would get real creative and just use the combos as tools to set up reset after reset, making the other guy guess between where to block, tech, or what reversal attacks to use, and try to keep their offense up forever without having the game be a one-sided afair - a less skilled player would land a stray hit, confirm it into a 30 hit combo they found on youtube, and waste potential like crazy or even help their opponent out in the process.

The M6 devs seem to be taking some notes from SG here cause I've noticed they tested around with the way the juggle decay meter responds to combo resets. I have faith they'll do something that's engaging on both ends of the combo as well, without giving up the freedom to just chain anything into anything and get real creative if you feel like it. At any rate, universal bursts are pretty unenticing in my book. Getting in on someone is work, I want it rewarded and not have the other guy be bailed out cause he's got his out-of-jail-free card loaded.

Nivek_Draco

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
'MURICA
Great... now I want to see a Panther with Omega Rugals Moveset in the game. xD

I love the SNK Boss Syndrome ö.ö

The only thing that could ruin the game for me, would be if the Devs would have to work with a "evil" publisher company that demands changes to make the game more "mainstream".
"mainstream"
Great, they're gonna make TFH a shooter now.

Reactions: Nadia