What would be your ideal roster size for TFH?

Silver Rain

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 8, 2016
To me, 12 characters would probably be a good total.

And if there were hidden characters, those would go above and beyond the initial 12.

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
For whatever reason, after I read the topic title and before I read your post, 12 was also the first number that popped into my head. If they can get up to their original planned roster of 17 though, that'd be fantastic.

Muro

Fight me in Skullgirls
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Poland
steamcommunity.com
I always value roster diversity over roster size. As long as each character feels noticeably different to play, I'm fine with whatever. Definitely preferable to a roster of 20 characters where every 4 are basically clones of each other with a slightly modified special.

Barbaloot

Bringer of sorrow and also donuts.
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Wisconsin
14 sounds about right to me. I'd love to have several predators in there, and 7 of 14 being taken up by main characters would allow the other 7 to be really diverse for the predator side.

Though if they did hit 14 characters, I don't think we'd see more than 4 predators.

danmiy12

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
Hawaii
8-12 would be good esp if every single character was unique as in not a clone. This doesnt include the last boss and predators you fight in story mode. So far 7 guranteed unique playstyles matches up to street fighter 2 (original) perfectly <ken and ryu were clones so thats 1 character) and with 4 bosses that is an exact match to the original street fighter which is pretty good for a first game

Solvandus

Chin Piece
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I range anywhere from 10-14 is perfectly fine; more or less too.

Until we hit the 50's...

Galaxy Heart

Caffeine-Based Life Form
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Down the ne'er-do-well.
To me, roster size is not important.
However, covering play styles? Extremely important and that tends to get done when roster sizes are bigger.

In my opinion, these are the following styles that are essential to be covered:

- Zoner / Keepaway
- Rushdown
- "Shoto"
- Grappler
- Trickster
- Charge
- Aerial

As long as all of the above are covered, with few or no clones, I'll be satisfied.

LockeRobster

Drawfriend & ALPHA Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Sydney, Australia
lokerobster.tumblr.com
To me, roster size is not important.
However, covering play styles? Extremely important and that tends to get done when roster sizes are bigger.

In my opinion, these are the following styles that are essential to be covered:

- Zoner / Keepaway
- Rushdown
- "Shoto"
- Grappler
- Trickster
- Charge
- Aerial

As long as all of the above are covered, with few or no clones, I'll be satisfied.
Man I want a grappler! what animal would you use? Bear is the obvious choice but bears are clearly predators. A Koala Bear would work but they are too small to effectively grapple.

Galaxy Heart

Caffeine-Based Life Form
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Down the ne'er-do-well.
Man I want a grappler! what animal would you use? Bear is the obvious choice but bears are clearly predators. A Koala Bear would work but they are too small to effectively grapple.
I think a bear would be a bit of an easy choice, to be honest. The TFH team have got some really creative ideas going and to have a bear be the grappler would just be a waste. :p
I'd probably say something like an Elk or another large cervidae. Hella strong and can literally throw away predators if they're small enough.

bibliogeek

Sick of tea? That's like being sick of breathing!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
DC
As long as the roster remains reasonably compact, I'll be good with whatever we get.

LoveIsBlue

Feb 7, 2016
I think a bear would be a bit of an easy choice, to be honest. The TFH team have got some really creative ideas going and to have a bear be the grappler would just be a waste. :p
I'd probably say something like an Elk or another large cervidae. Hella strong and can literally throw away predators if they're small enough.
Bears are never a waste. Bears are based.
That said, I'd probably prefer a bear as a heavy hitter of sorts. Lots of hitstun and damage, but slower frame data than most to compensate.
I don't think the fact that bears are predators is too much of an issue, myself. At least in the sense of stopping him from being on the roster. Explaining how he got there might be a different story unless the seal breaks and the new mission becomes "survive"

Ethaes

Vesper Iris
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
ethaes.deviantart.com
As long as the roster is kept relatively small I'll be okay with it. I've seen time and time again when a game franchise just keeps adding more characters. Then balancing becomes a major issue and you end up with different tiers of characters. I want all TFH's characters to be viable for any competition.

SmokeRulz

Where there is smoke, there is fire!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
12 seems like a good number to me, but I'll take whatever number as long as all the characters are meaningfully different.

LoveIsBlue

Feb 7, 2016
As long as the roster is kept relatively small I'll be okay with it. I've seen time and time again when a game franchise just keeps adding more characters. Then balancing becomes a major issue and you end up with different tiers of characters. I want all TFH's characters to be viable for any competition.
Shoot, you're right on that front.
I REALLY hope power creep doesn't become a thing.

Solario

From the relatively few fighting games I've played, I find that I don't mind a large roster as long as all the characters feel unique and not just slightly tweaked copies of other characters (like Ganondorf being a slower, heavier Cpt. Falcon). Frankly, I like having a very large set of characters to choose from, but I can see how in a game of this style, it could quickly degrade if too much is crammed into it.

The game could start with just the initial six champions available, then unlock more through various means, a-la Smash Bros. I would like a game like this to have a roster of no less than, say, twelve, and no more than...twenty, twenty-five at the most, including playable boss characters and predators. Any higher than that, and they might start to feel samey and interchangeable.

As long as everybody has a unique playstyle, it should all work fine at any roster size. Naturally, the other caveat is that with so many characters (especially if bosses are playable), some are going to end up a little unbalanced or cheap. If you make a Soul Calibur-sized roster, you're going to have a Nightmare in there.

Queezeey

Fighting game amateur
Feb 4, 2016
a desk
5 characters. One of the already established characters needs to be cut, 2 if we really want Goat.

In all seriousness though, as many as possible without having any duplicates in: personality, playstyle, design or backstory/lore. So, I guess the ideal roster for me would depend on how creative Mane6 are with their DLC characters.