• Them's Fightin' Herds is availabe now on Steam Early Access!
    You can buy it from these links:
    Humble Bundle // Steam

• Winter Event Tour '19-'20

Them's Fightin' Herds will be exhibiting at NEC, Super MAGFest, and Frosty Faustings!

More details here!

• Them's Fightin' Herds

Current Version: Early Access #24 12.12.2019

What will the predators story look like in the finished game?

Eliah Pickford

Apr 11, 2019
I know I keep pondering ideas, mostly for stories, but I wonder what the official version will look like in the end?

The simple: "The predator is a threat to all sentient beings"

The pragmatic: "We need the meat, and none willingly part with their flesh"

The esoteric: "What feeds will live, what lives will die, what dies will feed"

Or the eldritch: "Behold the terrible visage of a living god, fodder. Now, sustain it's eternal hunger"

Heck, I can only guess as to what creature The Devourer is. Could be anything from a giant Boar, a forgotten Dragon, a lich Manx Loaghtan, or Typhon itself. I could name Cthulhu and such, but that feels more like a meme than anything else.

Pom d'or

Gave himself a fake award
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
For the devourer, I'm thinking... chicken. Chickens are omnivorous, so in a fictional setting one could write an especially scary chicken that would devour everything.

Reactions: Kittens

Eliah Pickford

Apr 11, 2019
"You fools!" The Sheep cried in terror. "It a chicken! A giant chicken!" But no one believed them...

And the consuming poultry menace would devour all that stood in it's path, amid clamorous clucks and caws. And the world, again, fell silent.

On one hand, it's not likely. On the other, I am having too much fun imagining it.

Reactions: Pom d'or

Eliah Pickford

Apr 11, 2019
Still kinda worried that the predators in the finished game will have the personality of a cardboard cutout with a mean face drawn on it....

Reactions: Feanor

gatorafan

HOLAS: (tm)
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Ship02: Ur
nightarks.enjin.com
The Devourer is obviously going to be the true alpha predator of our world. That which stands at the top of the food chain. The one real monster.

Godzilla.

As for what you asked about? I can't speak for the Devourer itself, but if we are to take lobby shenanigans seriously then we might be going towards your 3rd or 4th scenario. Predators have been recently seen roaming around which triggers the whole story but they seem to be in abundance in places where salt is in high concentration, salt miners who take the job will have to face both predators and crazed versions of other Fœnicians in the process, and there are reports of regular ungulates turning into predators themselves on the mines (they still keep their swag tho). Salt mining itself seems to be a highly secret task, happening on the dark corners of each nation.

Maybe Rein's decision of making salt the global currency might not have been the best, or maybe it was very intentional.

Or maybe it was Godzilla.