What were your first games in different genres (aside from fighters)

SubrosianDimitri

The King of Poor Decision Making
Crowdfund Backer
Back in ye olde half-a-year or so ago, someone made a thread on the fighting games section about the first fighting games people played. That thread hasn't updated in over 3 months, but it just came to my mind to ask a similar question, but in various genres outside fighters.

List the genre, the game, and whatever you want to say about that game.

For me, it consists of the following
Visual Novels: Katawa Shoujo
I downloaded this game out of curiosity and to see if it could help me deal with the emotional problems I was having. Long story short, the idea was to see if the game could help me let those emotions out so I could get it out of my system. Not entirely sure if it worked, but it really got me into VNs as a whole, and is still my favorite of the bunch. The first time I played it, it was about 9 PM, and when I looked up at the clock, it was 2 AM, that's how into it I got.​
RPGs: Pokemon
What kid in the 90s and early 2000s didn't play Pokemon? I had a lot of fun with Red and Silver when I was a wee lad of 7, and I had also never legitimately beaten the elite 4 in any of the games until Pokemon X, but that's because the exp share made the game so easy. I'm not really that into Pokemon any more, but it did serve as a gateway into Turn-Based RPGs for me, which helped me fall in love with Dragon Quest, Arc Rise Fantasia, and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone on Game Boy Color (which is surprisingly great and more loyal to the book than the movie).​
Puzzle Games: Hexcite: The Shapes of Victory
I guarantee none of y'all have heard of this one. I played the hell out of this game as a kid (and I still sucked at it). The design of the game was pretty good, you have a board composed of 7 hexagons made from tons of little triangles. You need to fill as much of the board as possible while blocking your opponent (or the computer) to make sure they lose points at the end of the round. Sadly, my copy broke, but I will always have fond memories of this one.​
Beat 'em Ups: Star Wars: Return of the Sith (GBA)
I got this game as a birthday present (which was also the day the movie came out), and I loved it. This is actually a really good beat 'em up which more people really need to play. The gameplay is fun, the controls are perfect, the spritework is beautifully detailed, the duels are fun, and overall it's a good time. If you find this game for even 20 bucks, it's well worth it, even if you didn't like the movie (and I know a lot of people didn't like the movie).​
Racing Games: Mario Kart Super Circuit
Technically, I had played Mario Kart 64 first, but I never owned it and don't remember getting all that into it. Super Circut however, was a different beast for me. I spent hours as a kid mastering each track, the rather slippery movement, and humming several of the songs while on the bus to school (between people stabbing my head with uncapped pens, that it).​
Platformers: The Jungle Book (Game Boy Color)
Again, technically this isn't the first one, but I never got past the first world of Super Mario World as a kid, and I didn't own it. This game was the first platformer I legitimately played and was able to actually get somewhere. It's another movie based game, and a surprisingly good one. Tight controls, great graphics for a GBC title, decent challenge and enjoyable music. I still pop this into my GBC on occasion to take Mowgli for a run through the jungle with no shoes.​
Adventure Games: Freddi Fish & Riven
I don't actually remember which of these I played first since it was so long ago, though I don't think it matters which one it was, since they're both quality games. I could never get very far in Riven as a kid, and even as an adult, I still can't get very far. Freddi Fish was a game I could play with no serious issues as a kid, though that was the point since it was a Humongous Entertainment Junior Adventure. I have so many memories of Humongous Entertainment, and they're still one of my favorite game companies ever for how good their games are for edutainment games. If/When I have kids, I will make sure to have them play at least one Junior Adventure, because I feel they are a fantastic introductory point for adventure games and puzzles that kids can enjoy before moving on to the big stuff.​

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
I can't really remember many of them, but why not.

There is only like two games I can actually pinpoint, and a third in a maybe.

Racing games: Need for speed 3.
I was quite small back then, but my stepbrother had the game and we played a lot of it whenever I visited. It was fun. My young brain wouldn't really look into it any more than that.

Platformer: Prince of Persia
Even smaller. My family's friend had a computer and had this game on it. Needless to say that was the most awesome thing I've seen in my life, as noone really had computers anywhere near us (It was late 1990s). I remember never being able to make the first running jump and always dying, but it was the best thing ever for me at that time.

Visual Novel: Fate:Stay/Night
A little oddball in my list, as I was much older when I first played it, namely, I was in early high school. And needless to say it was AWESOME. It has a little wtf style story, but it got me into VNs with a bang. I lost a lot of my early interest since then, but it's still a fond memory.

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
Yeah, I don't remember much so far as 'first in the genre' goes.

Offhand?:

Platformer - Super Mario Bros. on the NES. I played it on my cousin's console. The first one I played in this genre that I owned was probably Sonic 2 on the Genesis.

Shooter - Duck Hunt, again on my cousin's NES. No idea as to the first one I owned. Maybe Goldeneye 64?

Racing - Uggghhh, probably another NES title. Excitebike? First I owned was probably F-Zero on the SNES? At least, I think it was F-Zero? Looks about right anyway.

RPG - Probably The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past....Except my copy just so happened to be French (it said so in small text), so while I was able to get decently far, I got stuck a bit after the time you unlock the Mirror World. My first portable RPG was Pokemon Yellow though.

Puzzle - Tetris. Well, if one was to classify this as a puzzle game. I think I played it on the original Game Boy?

SubrosianDimitri

The King of Poor Decision Making
Crowdfund Backer
RPG - Probably The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Zelda really isn't an RPG considering there are really no RPG elements in it. The only game that has any kind of RPG staple in the series is Zelda 2 with XP, but it's still more of an action adventure game or a platformer than an RPG. The inventory systems and items the series uses are closer to what you'd see in something like King's Quest or Monkey Island than any RPG I've ever heard of, though their uses are far more straightforward than those games.

Also, I forgot to mention my first simulation game, good old Roller Coaster Tycoon. I have tons of memories of the original game and even more of the sequel. I owned all the expansion packs and spent hours building crazy rides and my own custom scenarios as a kid. I just wish I knew about the modding scene when I was younger, because some of the stuff you can find is pretty cool...if you can find it at all, that is.

Also, Go-Karts are broken as all hell.

Rich Jammer

By the Numbers Accountant
Backers' Beta Tester
Puzzle - some knock off of Tetris on some crappy handheld.

Platformer - Super Mario Bros on Family Computer obviously. As a kid, I can never get past the 1st boss.

3D Platformer - Croc PC.

RTS - Star Wars Force Commander

FPS - Doom. Me and my bro would play co op on it weirdly. He would move the guy and I would press the shoot button. We also used cheats.

3rd Person Shooter - An Army Men game on PS2.

Beat em' up - Final Fight in my local KFC.

RPG - Skies of Arcadia on Dreamcast.

Racing Game
- Lotus Ultimate Challenge on PC

Adventure Game - some game on my cousin's Philips CD-i that I don't remember the name.

Shoot em' Up - Galaxian on NES

fah_q2

Just some guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Platformer - Super Mario Land

Shoot em up - Gradius 3

RPG - Legend of Dragoon

FPS - It was either Medal of Honor: Frontline or Timesplitters 2

Third person shooter - SOCOM 2
What kid in the 90s and early 2000s didn't play Pokemon?
I didn't play Pokemon up until Diamond and Pearl came out.

A88mph

Game Maker and Starship Captain.
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
a88mph.itch.io
Platformers: Super Mario Bros. on my mom's NES back in the mid 90's

Puzzle Games: Tetris, also on mom's NES.

Collect-athons: Banjo-Kazooie, as my first N64 game.

Racing: Mario Kart 64.

RPG: Dragon Warrior (Dragon Quest) on NES, but I had absolutely no idea how to do anything in that game.

Action-Adventure: Ocarina of Time.

Air/Space Combat: Star Fox 64.

Pokemon (it's practically a genre to me): Stadium 1 on N64. (I didn't get to play a core game until Sapphire.)

Simulations: Sim City 3000 on PC

RTS: Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness on PC

Life Sim: Animal Crossing on the Gamecube. (You should have seen the summer we first got this game. I dare you to have you 4, yes 4, kids to play this game, and see what happens. WE took that "whether you're there or not" line WAY too seriously :)

I'm sure there are more, but I think this is enough.

Reactions: V.A.a.M.P.P

D96

Michigan Wolverines Fanatic
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Michigan
www.reddit.com
Most of these probably aren't the first ones I've played, but they're the first ones I can remember.

Racing - Gran Turismo 2 (or maybe Pole Position, I can't remember which I played first)

FPS - Halo:CE

Platformer - Super Mario All-Stars/Super Mario World (the combo pack for the SNES)

Strategy - Warcraft 3

RPG - Diablo

Shoot 'Em Up - Raiden 1/2 (PS1 collection port) (or maybe like Galaxian/Galaga, again I can't remember)

Beat 'Em Up - Maximum Carnage

3rd Person Shooter - Future Cop: LAPD