What is Your All Time Favorite Game?

Bolsha

Just your ordinary chemist
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Crusader Kings 2 or Project Reality for BF2.

Girubev

Dr Pepper addict and forum lurker
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Iowa
Lets see... Crash Team Racing since the late 90s... Civ 2 and beyond since 2000, Spyro 2, TF2 since 2012, Halo 3, honestly the list could go on until the next page. I've been gaming since apparantly age 3 with those old DOS games like snake, chess, and SkiFree. No idea what the hell I was doing, but I played em.

Szkieletor

Ngasta! Kvata! Kvakis!
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Hard to say. It's pretty much a tie between Morrowind, New Vegas and X-Com: Enemy Within.
The games I put most time in (on Steam at least) are Dota2 (1,3k hours on the clock), PAYDAY 2 (~450 hours) and Warframe (~450 hours).

Nelson

#DormWifi
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
All time favorite game? Maybe SMITE with over 800 hours. But honestly it might not be my absolute favorite... XD

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com
Oh god this... is actually difficult. Gonna have a few on here, simply because of the attachment I have to each.

Mirror's Edge, Dust: An Elysian Tail, Day of Defeat: Source, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini, and now Smite.

SubrosianDimitri

The King of Poor Decision Making
Crowdfund Backer
Oh god this... is actually difficult. Gonna have a few on here, simply because of the attachment I have to each.

Mirror's Edge, Dust: An Elysian Tail, Day of Defeat: Source, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini, and now Smite.
Dust: An Elysian Tail is an awesome game, I'm currently replaying it. I'm also getting myself back into One Way Heroics, an awesome Roguelike.

Dismal Dimwit

The Duke of Derp
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
All time favorite game, huh? I'd have to say Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage. I absolutely adore the Spyro games for PS1, and Spyro 2, for me, struck the perfect balance with the atmosphere, controls, and humor. I played through that game 4 times last year alone.

It's such a shame that Spyro's dead now. Rest in peace you beautiful purple beast.

Laurel Crown

Leader of the Proud Nation of Velvetia
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Tough question. There are many games that I like.

Arcanel

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Well, I can't say anything else other than Tales of the Abyss. It's gameplay is super fun, the story and characters are absolutely brillian (GO GO JADE CURTISS), and as a whole, the entire feel of the game just has so much YES.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Hmmmm favourite game? Well, I'd go with Elite:Dangerous currently, even though I only play sporadically. I think the first Dissidia on PSP is my most played game though.

Actually considering how many games I played with (I admit I pirated most of them during my primary school years) I'm not sure I can actually point out a definite favourite. I can point out good games, but that's it.

Crym4x

What do you mean i can't use a bucket as a hat
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
Canberra, Australia
My forever favourite game has to be the first game I played and that's good ol Crash Bandicoot for the ps1, but my current favorite which I have played a lot is the The Binding of Isaac :Rebirth (with the After birth DLC added as well)

LapinZinski

Fred is best pony
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
France
My all-time favorite ? Hum, it's either The Legend Of Zelda Nes or Wind Waker, or Banjo-Kazooie, or F-Zero GX. No really I can't decide which one.

CosmicDashie

Dank may-mays
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Canadia
This may seem silly.... But runescape is my favorite game ever

Rs has always been around for me, i play it when im stressed, i play it when im bored at school, i play it basically whenever i get the chance.

15 years and running ive been on that game, i couldn't place any other game above that

Lazengann

An experiment in the depths of self-loathing
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Sietch Tabr
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty probably, if only because of how great the story is (I'm too bad at stealth games to appreciate the game-play fully and the crown of MGS game-play goes to Snake Eater anyway). At first I hated the game for the reason I now love it; I thought the game was a silly poorly written knock-off of the first game. Thankfully I came to my senses when I realised the what the whole point of the game was (in large part due to helpful videos and articles by Matthewmatosis, Super Bunnyhop, SnakeSoup.com and Deltahead Translation group)(I highly recommend these as they are a good read/watch, but only if you have played the game because they spoil the game so heavily) and now I have the joy of getting angry whenever people dismiss the game because "u dont pley snek".

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
I don't even know. I can't even select a series TBH.

Disgaea used to be my #1 series, but as I got into other series later it sort of slipped down the priority, though I always make sure to get the CE of every release (including the PSP/PSV ports. I skipped out on the DS one. Ironically, the one Disgaea forum I moderated was the one I didn't own, though naturally I had played the PS2 and PSP versions to death.).

TES emerged with the glory that was Oblivion. Before I played that game, I didn't know what awesome was. It was a bit of a revelation, open world fantasy with a variety of flexible combat options. I enjoyed Skyrim a ton too. TESO, not so much. I tried Morrowind but couldn't get into the combat (Skywind plz come soon).

Following on the heels of TES was Fallout. Fallout 3 was described as Oblivion with guns and it was that in a way, a good way, but it was its own thing as well.

And then there was Borderlands. Fast paced FPS with randomized loot? Win.

So yeah, I have a Tactical-Strategy series, an Action-Fantasy series, an Action/Sci-Fi series, and a FPS/Sci-Fi series.

So I have trouble deciding...At least that means I have had multiple games to enjoy immensely.

LLHero25

Master of Illogical Logic
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Bowie, MD
Its a good thing when you look through the forum and constantly rethink what your favorite game is. Puts it all into perspective how many great games have touched people.

Bioshock for the truly messing with my brain and LoZ:LttP for perfectly blending world, gameplay, music, and puzzles.

Silver Lining

Dwarf casts Fireball! *throws gunpowder barrel*
Backers' Beta Tester
I literally cannot choose a dozen top favorites, let alone just one. I mean, just scrolling through the list others have mentioned brings back memories of good times with great games.

I played through the Golden Sun series and loved the story, lore and battle design.
Dragon Quest as a series has always been interesting, I even loved the old Dragon Warrior games on NES.
Zelda games...so many good games, and my top three are Wind Waker, Majora's Mask and Minish Cap in no particular order.
Super Mario World, RPG and Paper Mario TTYD are, imo, the best ever in that collective.
Sonic and Sonic 2 were among the first games I got for my birthday as a kid.
I'm not surprised nobody has mentioned Contra yet, but I am still playing that. I'm trying for a "no Konami code" run, getting stuck on Stage 4.
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon was the game that gave me what I wanted from the series: playing as a pokemon.
Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon were epic childhood times. I especially loved CTR, Crash 3 and Spyro 3.
Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Donkey Kong 64 and 007 Goldeneye were so amazing...
Chrono Trigger was my first official foray into JRPGs, and still the most memorable.
Earthbound was something I caught onto much later than I should have.
Fire Emblem still remains one of the most epic tactical RPGs I've played.
Having said that, Final Fantasy Tactics is so rich and interesting to play.
Final Fantasy still has some of the most memorable mechanics and interesting stories.
Metroid--specifically Super, Fusion, Zero Mission and Prime--are games I replay to this day.
I was introduced to Kingdom Hearts, Ratchet & Clank, Jak and Daxter and Guitar Hero by the same friend, and I love them all so much.
I only recently started into the Tales games with Symphonia, but I love it so much.
Gradius, Darius, Blazing Star, Life Force, a multitude of forgotten names in the same line of epic space shooters from my youth.
Smash Bros. was the second fighting game with mechanics I mastered (the first being Tekken).
Megaman (PS2 collection), Megaman X (PS2 collection), Megaman Zero (collection on DS), Megaman Battle Network (still have 3-6)...
Portal and Portal 2 are some of the best examples of "story while playing" games, and a non-combat first-person game at that.
Dark Souls and Bloodborne are so much fun and so frustrating, it's the kind of game I'd buy new controllers to keep playing.
I've spent years playing League of Legends, Counter-Strike and whichever MMO my friends were into at the time.

That's...not even a fully exhaustive list, and I still have so much more. I mean, my Steam library is nearly 600 games as of writing this, and I've played maybe a tenth of it thoroughly, maybe a sixth of it enough to form a good opinion of several games. I'm just going to stop here, because if I were to list all the Steam games important to me, I'd probably be late to work. You can probably tell what my latest favorite is, anyway.

The list only grows ever larger. So many good memories.

Reactions: OCisbestungulate

Laurence

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
Spokane
I tried to choose just one game, I really did, but I failed. Le sigh. Here are the favorites of my favorites, in mostly chronological order:

Ms. Pac Man -- Arcade version. I have many wonderful memories of going down to the grocery store with my dad to play two player games of this with him.
The Bard's Tale -- Commodore 64. Me and two of my friends were each responsible for two members in the party, and we spent many an afternoon after getting out of school to play this (and avoid homework).
Civilization 2 and 3 -- PC. I've played each version in the series for hundreds of hours, but these two were the ones that I enjoyed the most.
Street Fighter 2 (and it's many "sequels" that still were all part of "2") -- SNES. Soooooo many days (literal DAYS!) spent playing this with my friends.
Final Fantasy Tactics -- Playstation. How much did I love this game? During my first run through, I had only one save game file, and found myself in a situation in Act 3 (of 4) where it was literally impossible for me to advance. I had to start completely over, losing over thirty hours of progress. And I had no qualms about it at all. I have gone on to beat it four different times, each with a different main character progression. Oh, and I've learned to always have multiple save files too =P
City of Heroes -- PC. Oh, how I miss you, my favorite MMORPG.
And finally Skyrim -- PC. Beats out Diablo 3 for the game that I've sunk the most hours into for a recent game, and I enjoyed my time exploring winter landscapes more than I did killing countless hordes of demons and undead.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Golbi's Adventure.

It was the freaking example RPG that came with the RPG Maker for PSX.

That story was adorable, and legit.

(Even if the game only had one save point in the whole freaking thing...)

The Skullivan

That guy what with the ponies
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Ooh, tough question. I'd have to give it a three-way tie between Portal, Earthbound and Pyschonauts. Portal for demonstrating the most perfect integration of narrative and gameplay I've ever seen in a game. Psychonauts is also up there because, despite a handful of technical flaws here and there, it's got such a unique and mesmerizing aesthetic that makes it into a truly one of a kind experience. Same reasoning for Earthbound - flawed as it is, I have never experienced anything else like it.

Thrackerzod

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 6, 2016
Kentucky, USA
It's very hard to choose just one. I started out on the Atari 2600 and Colecovision and many of those games mean a lot to me, then an NES with Super Mario Bros. which was amazing at the time but the one that really stands out the most for me I think is The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past on the SNES. I got it for my birthday and the game just blew me away. I spent countless hours playing that game and trying to find every little secret and I find it just as fun to play today as I did back then. So I guess I'll go with that one; I love the entire Zelda series but that one is the most special to me.

Munin

Killer Combo!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
It's probably a toss up between SF2 and Pokemon Red/Blue. FF9 is shortly after that.

Whitetail

Mane6 Dev
Mane6 Developer
Feb 3, 2016
soundcloud.com
That's a tough pick tbh

As for what I've put the most hours in it's without a doubt Warcraft 3 but that was mainly due to modding and the like

Other games that come to mind are Zelda: Windwaker, Metroid Prime 2, Splatoon, Kid Icarus Uprising and Paper Mario: the Thousand Year Door

Stridershy

The King Of Goat Style
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
The Place Where Goats Are
I'm surprised by the lack of Chrono Trigger.

It has one of the best stories of any JRPG I've played, and some of the most interesting mechanics. Leveling is paced excellently, and I never felt a need to grind before a boss - just to figure out their systems and weaknesses. The final boss is objectively the best ever (apart from maybe Earthbound and Undertale). In my opinion, it's about as close to the Perfect JRPG as we'll ever see.
I have played Chrono Trigger before, and it is a fantastic game. However, Grandia II holds a special place in my heart. Its the very first RPG that I ever played, a wonderful experience from start to finish. And the ending...my god, the ending. I am not ashamed to say that even 15 years after my first playthough, the ending still gets me a bit teary-eyed.

Kahsher

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Me and Terraria, love at first sight.
Every update makes me sink in some more 100-200 hours into the game.

Brokeneagle98

Computer Engineer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Pacific Northwest
The Final Fantasy series, but specifically FF7. I spent so many hours grinding the final level just so I could complete the Master Summon materia twice just so that all of my characters could double summon the Knights of the Round, beating any boss in just a few rounds.

CountParadox

Is the answer to this question no?
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Kansas
Well, while I did say Bookworm Hoers Princess a while back, it seems another game may have come to take its place. Stella Glow has recently sucked me in, and I'm loving every second of it. The story is amazing, and the visuals are beautiful. And the music, which plays a pivotal role in the game, is incredible.

A88mph

Game Maker and Starship Captain.
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
a88mph.itch.io
Hard for me to say, but I can give a list of most influential video games from my childhood.

1. Star Fox 64
2. Zelda OoT
3. Morrowind
4. Starcraft
5. Pokemon Sapphire

6. Animal Crossing 1 (The summer we got this game was a crazy one. All 4 of us trying to play that single-player-at-a-time game because we took that tagline too seriously.)

7. Star Trek: Starfleet Command 1
8. Sim City 3000
9. Railroad Tycoon 3
10.Monopoly (Dedicated Handheld)

Lukey

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
England
I still play the original PS1 Spyro games over and over, I just don't seem to tire of them like I do with new games I also still enjoy playing Akuji the Heartless and other old games like Croc 2. I don't just like old game though, I still play Community maps on Portal 2 and sometimes I'll try to play through the story as quick as I can. My favourite would be Spyro the Dragon, it was the first game I ever played Back in '98 when I was 3 Years old and now I'm like almost 21 and I still play them it.

CrushingVictory

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Perfect Dark, hands/hooves down.
the HD remake could have been a little better, but the original's visuals hold up nicely, even on an emulator
plus you could plunge areas into total darkness by shooting out all of the lights

SmashUniverse64

Befish did this to me.
Crowdfund Backer
Team Fortress 2 without a single doubt. I love the characters, I love the lore, I love the fast-paced gameplay, I love the variety of gameplay styles in a multiplayer game, and I love the customization options for the characters. It's just an awesome game.