What do you want from a Tutorial?

Valsion

Feb 24, 2018
Since the Mane6 Team has stated that they want to make a proper tutorial for the game, what are the things you would like to see in it?

For me, I think some of the less obvious things should be explained properly like quick recovery and pushblock. The buttons are displayed in the command list but for many new players it would be very beneficial if they could learn these techniques with an example. It could be like in the tutorial for Bayonetta, where you get an explanation and then a telegraphed attack from the enemy, where you can practice the proper timing for push blocking or cross counters.

When asking for advice online, some of the fighting game lingo could also be very confusing to a newcomer, so a little lexicon with common terms within the community would not be amiss.

Valsion

Feb 24, 2018
I wonder if a DDR-styled tutorial could help with figuring out move input timing...
That is actually a good idea. Even with the buttons displayed, proper timing is often the problem at pulling off some techs. And a DDR styled tutorial would in my opinion be better for combo trials than having them displayed in the corner, where the full combo doesn't even have enough room.

Mage

A Normal Person
Feb 26, 2017
Oblivion
I would like to see some character specific details be addressed regarding Magic. Things like Paprika's food inhibiting jabs or Oleander's Read giving meter instead of Magic if Magic is full are aspects that players will find out by themselves eventually, but it would be better to have them explained in detail. Especially since some characters' Magic system is entirely different from everyone else's (Velvet and Tianhuo's are the only ones who build Magic the same way).

Granted, I'm getting into the topic of character specific tutorials, which is a whole other beast, but I think it'd be needed for a game like this, where every character has different movement and systems.

Reactions: PinkieFTW

Nintyuk

Professor Bright Spark
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Some live feebdack on what input the game is actually reading would be awesome for the gesture moves EG quarter circle and the more complicated one. Right now my biggest issue is when I feel I'm doing the input right but the game doesn't seem to accept it.

Edit: apparently this is already in training mode in a basic form just hidden. Helped me greatly finding out that movement plus button inputs require the movement to be finished fully for a good moment before I can hit the input for the super or summon.

Last edited:

indie_animator

Mar 10, 2018
Bay Area, CA
tangerinepop.com
I've enjoyed the tutorial so far.
One thing I'll say here, and maybe make a topic for-

Hit Decay tutorial doesn't explain how to make a long enough combo to fill the green bar.
Skullgirls showed how in theirs. Here, I have no clue & can't clear the tutorial.

Also can't clear Velvet's Ice Eruption A>ABC, since it always drops after A. Maybe I ned to join a Discord or watch a YouTube vid to clear it.
Been doing tutorials for fighters since they first appeared in gaming.

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com
Hit Decay tutorial doesn't explain how to make a long enough combo to fill the green bar.
It actually does, but with your second concern, it tells me that you've not completely got that particular thing down yet.

Also can't clear Velvet's Ice Eruption A>ABC, since it always drops after A.
If it always drops after the 5A (Standing A) then you're either not close enough, or you aren't chaining through the normals fast enough.

If you'd really need it, I can get a video together pretty quick of what I mean in both scenarios.

Reactions: indie_animator

indie_animator

Mar 10, 2018
Bay Area, CA
tangerinepop.com
Thanks for the reply.
It's odd that the Velvet combo drops every time, since I chain attacks in other parts of the tutorial, and I chain in other games fine.

A YouTube search got me only this-
Very long, no timestamps, and lots of failed attempts. Haven't found the Hit Decay part yet.

In Skullgirls, it would be ground chain>launcher>air chain>ground chain>etc.
But I didn't see any info in the Tutorial on that.

If there's a suggestions topic in the forums, I'd like to add that suggestion.
A video? Oh, I appreciate it!

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

Tanno

May 19, 2019
The beginners would want to know how do we do those fast air specials and supers, how do we do the instant air dashes, and such. I mean the buffer techs we know so far.

Should the tutorials teach you the TK, the IAD, the Kara Cancels, and such?