1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Them's Fightin' Herds is now out on Early Access!
    You can buy it from these links.
    Humble Bundle // Steam

3. 26.6.18: Situation update

Current Early Access Patch: 8-18-2018

What do you want from a Tutorial?

Discussion in 'Beginner Forum' started by Valsion, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Valsion

Valsion Well-Known Member

Since the Mane6 Team has stated that they want to make a proper tutorial for the game, what are the things you would like to see in it?

For me, I think some of the less obvious things should be explained properly like quick recovery and pushblock. The buttons are displayed in the command list but for many new players it would be very beneficial if they could learn these techniques with an example. It could be like in the tutorial for Bayonetta, where you get an explanation and then a telegraphed attack from the enemy, where you can practice the proper timing for push blocking or cross counters.

When asking for advice online, some of the fighting game lingo could also be very confusing to a newcomer, so a little lexicon with common terms within the community would not be amiss.

PinkieFTW and tortoiseandcrow like this.
  2. Lurk

Lurk Well-Known Member

I wonder if a DDR-styled tutorial could help with figuring out move input timing...

3. Valsion

Valsion Well-Known Member

That is actually a good idea. Even with the buttons displayed, proper timing is often the problem at pulling off some techs. And a DDR styled tutorial would in my opinion be better for combo trials than having them displayed in the corner, where the full combo doesn't even have enough room.

4. Mage

Mage A Normal Person

I would like to see some character specific details be addressed regarding Magic. Things like Paprika's food inhibiting jabs or Oleander's Read giving meter instead of Magic if Magic is full are aspects that players will find out by themselves eventually, but it would be better to have them explained in detail. Especially since some characters' Magic system is entirely different from everyone else's (Velvet and Tianhuo's are the only ones who build Magic the same way).

Granted, I'm getting into the topic of character specific tutorials, which is a whole other beast, but I think it'd be needed for a game like this, where every character has different movement and systems.

PinkieFTW likes this.
  5. Nintyuk

Nintyuk Professor Bright Spark
    Backers' Beta Tester

Some live feebdack on what input the game is actually reading would be awesome for the gesture moves EG quarter circle and the more complicated one. Right now my biggest issue is when I feel I'm doing the input right but the game doesn't seem to accept it.

Edit: apparently this is already in training mode in a basic form just hidden. Helped me greatly finding out that movement plus button inputs require the movement to be finished fully for a good moment before I can hit the input for the super or summon.

#5 Nintyuk, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  6. indie_animator

indie_animator Active Member

I've enjoyed the tutorial so far.
    One thing I'll say here, and maybe make a topic for-

Hit Decay tutorial doesn't explain how to make a long enough combo to fill the green bar.
    Skullgirls showed how in theirs. Here, I have no clue & can't clear the tutorial.

Also can't clear Velvet's Ice Eruption A>ABC, since it always drops after A. Maybe I ned to join a Discord or watch a YouTube vid to clear it.
    Been doing tutorials for fighters since they first appeared in gaming.

7. CamTSB

CamTSB 死の匂いか?
    Staff Member Mane6 QA

It actually does, but with your second concern, it tells me that you've not completely got that particular thing down yet.

If it always drops after the 5A (Standing A) then you're either not close enough, or you aren't chaining through the normals fast enough.

If you'd really need it, I can get a video together pretty quick of what I mean in both scenarios.

indie_animator likes this.
  8. indie_animator

indie_animator Active Member

Thanks for the reply.
    It's odd that the Velvet combo drops every time, since I chain attacks in other parts of the tutorial, and I chain in other games fine.

A YouTube search got me only this-

Very long, no timestamps, and lots of failed attempts. Haven't found the Hit Decay part yet.

In Skullgirls, it would be ground chain>launcher>air chain>ground chain>etc.
    But I didn't see any info in the Tutorial on that.

If there's a suggestions topic in the forums, I'd like to add that suggestion.
    A video? Oh, I appreciate it!

Delusional Dreamer likes this.