Velvet Tricks

Petea Copine

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Oct 17, 2016
I'm in training mode learning velvet and messing around, and I discovered a few interesting things. If these are common knowledge already then whoops

Stand C - Grab Cancel

If you very quickly press C->B almost together, but one after the other, Stand C's ice animation plays but your grab comes out instead. Stand C is -46 frames but grab is -27, so you could potentially throw off your enemy and bait them into something that would have beat a regular Stand C, block it then punish. I mean whiffing a grab is still ridiculously unsafe but there could be some application in certain situations or match-ups.

Dash Jump

Velvet has a 'dash jump' that gives her a little bit of extra forward movement in the air, just dash then jump. I don't know if this has somethign to do with her sliding property or not.

Air Woosh

Your Woosh in the air cancels your momentum, you immediately stop and start falling. If you only tap Woosh you have enough time to recover and block or j.A / j.C just before you hit the ground. ex. If your opponent is holding down-back maybe air-woosh them into you and overhead with a jumping normal instead of the unsafe Shatter C (overhead one)

Forward Woosh denies jump-in

A single tap of forward Woosh removes your opponents forward jump momentum, including super jumps. Maybe stop your opponent from getting in or escaping the corner.

Woosh-cancel

You can cancel Shatter-A (low one) into a Woosh to make it safer, ex. Arizona super can punish blocked Shatters, but you can block her Super if you woosh-cancel with the right timing.

And finally don't forget

when you dash-slide forward, you can hold down-back and continue to slide.

Svierrod

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Last I checked, dash jump was a universal mechanic. Should be available to everybody. I think the momentum is only applied to a forward dash into forward jump though. Super rusty on the details right now.