Various Suggestions for the Game

Negative_Rainbow

Feb 23, 2018
Hello, I was told on the discord that if I wanted to make feature requests/suggestions to do them here
I'm sure some of these have been covered in other posts, I just wanted to put them all in one place.

Menu Navigation/Button Config
  • Separate ingame and menu controls
I know this has been a common complaint, but having menu controls tied to ingame controls has been a bit of an aggravation, especially when I put the magic button on the top right corner of my hitbox or on the triangle button on my ps4 pad.
  • Some other system for handling local multiplayer controls
This is aggravated by the previous issue, but setting up controllers for local vs in this game was a nightmare. There were issues related to both players trying to bind controls at the same time, there are issues binding controls in the first place if you started on a non-default config, and when you return to the lobby, the player in control of the menu often ended up with the other player's controls, then their controls changed when they chose their side when setting up for local vs, and the button that was magic to get into the vs menu became heavy and we ended up backing out to the menu more than once.

Combo Trials
  • Some way of viewing the full combo trial at all points of the combo
One of the more common ways I failed combo trials at first was simply because I would get as far as I could see from an idle position, then I would have to turn and read the combo, and would end up dropping it. This feature is especially helpful if you download a combo file someone else made (an incredible feature), since those tend to include some juggles and get rather long.
  • Tie the combo demonstration feature to a hotkey and/or include it in the menu where you select combo trials
Many people I know who played this game didn't even know that combo demonstration was a feature, overall the feature itself is excellent, ESPECIALLY because it works on user created combos, however accessibility to this feature is low. Having it tied to a hotkey and/or included in the same menu as selecting a combo trial (instead of having to move up a menu) would make this feature a lot more obvious and usable for most players.

Pixel Lobby
I do not feel that the suggestions in this section are as important as the suggestions above, but these are just some small things I wanted to add in.
  • Put a little "A" popup over a chest and have some indicator when you start a fight for a chest
I didn't understand chests at first and I was very confused when I "randomly" got into fights when opening them. I believe the pixel lobby has a tutorial that I skipped, but a small popup image would add a lot of clarity in case people missed that tutorial or forgot.
  • Disallow challenges while you are changing your outfit
I got challenged while setting up my outfit in my first pixel lobby, accidentally accepted, and got very confused. Not a major feature, but it would be appreciated.
  • Possibly add some sort of limitation to re-entering the dungeon crawler, or allow for multiple instances
I started the dungeon crawler with my friends once, and at one point I had died and left the dungeon, did not have enough salt to re-enter, but my friends had banked up enough salt that they were able to die and re-enter multiple times and keep the dungeon run going long enough that I just had to sit and wait, especially since I could not generate salt quickly enough to re-join the dungeon until they eventually finally had their fun and were done. I know that some limitations like losing salt on death are in place, but being stuck outside for that long was a negative experience.

Overall, I really like this game, and I think that the work in the places that matter (gameplay, music, and online play/pixel lobbies) really shows, but the issues with menu navigation were relatively frustrating, and I think those small accessibility changes to combo trials would make them a lot easier for most people to use.

Red Witch

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
May 12, 2017
Hello, I was told on the discord that if I wanted to make feature

Menu Navigation/Button Config
  • Separate ingame and menu controls
I know this has been a common complaint, but having menu controls tied to ingame controls has been a bit of an aggravation, especially when I put the magic button on the top right corner of my hitbox or on the triangle button on my ps4 pad.
  • Some other system for handling local multiplayer controls
This is aggravated by the previous issue, but setting up controllers for local vs in this game was a nightmare. There were issues related to both players trying to bind controls at the same time, there are issues binding controls in the first place if you started on a non-default config, and when you return to the lobby, the player in control of the menu often ended up with the other player's controls, then their controls changed when they chose their side when setting up for local vs, and the button that was magic to get into the vs menu became heavy and we ended up backing out to the menu more than once.
Mane 6 has posted a vested interest in fixing the Menu/In Game buttons in the News section. I personally hope they make a change as well!

Negative_Rainbow

Feb 23, 2018
Mane 6 has posted a vested interest in fixing the Menu/In Game buttons in the News section. I personally hope they make a change as well!
Huh I didn't see that post until now.
I'm not convinced that it's low priority enough to be in the tertiary priority section, as it leaves a bad first impression, especially for local vs (I don't plan on bringing this game back to locals until this is fixed). That said, having things laid out in a priority list at all is pretty nice, appreciate the communication.

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

super hurricane

Feb 13, 2016
I'm also hopeful that the backgrounds of the stages have some animation here and there, like windows in Velvet's city going dark or a tumbleweed passing by in Arizona's stage, or even a fish bouncing out of the stream in Oleander's forest. Apparently some of the game reviews were saying that the stages were 'static' as if they were frozen, but I'm sure the Mane6 staff are working on stage stuff either way.

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

Ravvij

Arizona, kick!
Mar 1, 2018
One thing I really enjoyed from an older Soul Calibur, I think, was the ability to practice combos in Training/Practice by displaying the combos on the screen, even a mode that only allows you to move on once you've done the combo once or thrice.

Brutus

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
One thing I really enjoyed from an older Soul Calibur, I think, was the ability to practice combos in Training/Practice by displaying the combos on the screen
There are Combo Trials in the training menu which do that, actually.

Lurk

Feb 17, 2018
I'm also hopeful that the backgrounds of the stages have some animation here and there, like windows in Velvet's city going dark or a tumbleweed passing by in Arizona's stage, or even a fish bouncing out of the stream in Oleander's forest. Apparently some of the game reviews were saying that the stages were 'static' as if they were frozen, but I'm sure the Mane6 staff are working on stage stuff either way.
There are some animations in the stages, like the windmill in Pom’s stage or the particle effects in Oleander’s.