Undertale

Sir Wombat

Likes Background Orange
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Yep, it sure is decent.

Not murdering every monster you encounter is a refreshing change of pace for an RPG.

Personally, I feel like I'm one of the only players who did not find Toriel sympathetic on my first playthrough. Until I learned her backstory later in the game, I thought that she was pretty much a crazed kidnapper.

Reactions: ThorneStar

Samham

hhhhhhh
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Florida
I quite enjoyed it. It's a nice little game with a decent story. If you asked me, knowing nothing about the game going in makes the experience a lot more powerful.

TheOneZeelOne

Don't be afraid of the dark
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Gadsden, AL
Impressive on how swiftly an Undertale thread started here. Not surprising but impressive.

According to Steam I've logged over 55 hours on it in about a three week span, so uh yeah, I like it a little. ^^' (I feel like atleast half of that was just sans, granted, but still!)

Vixey

Sapphire Maiden
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I've enjoyed the game for all I've played it. I do really enjoy how Undertale's take on choice within games. I think more games should offer choice without telling you that you are making one. A more organic method rather than just choosing which flavor of button press.

hawthornbunny

Fights like a cow
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I still need to play this more to find out why everyone has gone mad over it. I played what's apparently the game's opening, but I don't think I really get it yet.

DShou

Tianhuo is Best Longma
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
dshou.deviantart.com
I still need to play this more to find out why everyone has gone mad over it. I played what's apparently the game's opening, but I don't think I really get it yet.
While I can't say everyone will get it, most of the game's charm is definitely from experiencing the full game, and perhaps a second time through. I didn't get half of the charm (not that it didn't hit me with a bunch the first time around) until I played it again and realized how clever the developer was while making this game.

Nemesis

Robot in Disguise
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
pony411.libsyn.com
Really enjoyed Undertale a lot. The soundtraack is fantastic.

It's actually really funny, but it also gives you the occasional emotional sucker punch.

I can see why people who started playing after the hype train started rolling might feel underwhelmed, though.

I think it's generally agreed upon that the ruins are the weakest part of the game. The game really didn't pick for me until after that, anyway.

MistahM

Ow the Edge
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Yohk
Its a good game. It doesn't beat Splatoon for GOTY for me, but it's fun, still.

Mettaton is the best character, btw.

ThorneStar

Comic artist/freelance illustrator
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
www.pillowfort.io
One of the best games ever created imo. I've never had so much fun with an RPG. Not even FF7 stands up to it in my books! :V
The story, the music, the characters, it's all so masterfully done! Even if the artwork isn't "Triple A Quality" It's still better than a vast amount of triple A games on the market.

And W.D. Gaster is absolutely one of my fave topics to read about in the fandom.

Totally didn't beat the game some 6 times for all the main endings, variations of the endings, and one run dedicated to accessing all the hidden developer rooms inaccessible to normal play while enjoying it's music, graphics, characters and such.
I have about 10 individual appdata folders worth of saved games. And multiple copies of the games exe file so I don't kill my main game file. lol

Reactions: DShou

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
Same here. I own a copy with 0 hours logged (wanted to support the creator...and grab the OST), but I've watched several LP's.

SquiddyWiddy

Your Local Squid
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
I've had this game in my library for 3 months now, and I still haven't touched it.

What is wrong with me?

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Was pretty decent.

Totally didn't beat the game some 6 times for all the main endings, variations of the endings, and one run dedicated to accessing all the hidden developer rooms inaccessible to normal play while enjoying it's music, graphics, characters and such.
You are my hero.

Reactions: DShou

Met

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
This is quite possibly the most overrated game of recent times.

That said it's still a solid 10/10.

I never did beat Genocide run...

Clover102

Aspiring Animator
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
my house
clover102.tumblr.com
Currently doing a 8 heal items, no armor or weapon run (only using default equipment) I'm stuck on Asgore battle its insanely hard only got 2 health items left mettaton face steak and the pie to try and make him easier but its not. I wasted alot of the heal items on Undyne and Mettaton Ex battles actually those are the only ones i used them on I was planning to save all 8 for asgore he kills you in like 2-3 hits with no armor.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Currently doing a 8 heal items, no armor or weapon run (only using default equipment) I'm stuck on Asgore battle its insanely hard only got 2 health items left mettaton face steak and the pie to try and make him easier but its not. I wasted alot of the heal items on Undyne and Mettaton Ex battles actually those are the only ones i used them on I was planning to save all 8 for asgore he kills you in like 2-3 hits with no armor.
I loved that fight. Though, it shattered my heart (and :SPOILERS: ) into a thousand pieces.

Clover102

Aspiring Animator
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
my house
clover102.tumblr.com
I loved that fight. Though, it shattered my heart (and :SPOILERS: ) into a thousand pieces.
SPOILERS That whole ending sequence with the walking while the monsters told the story and walking to asgore shatters my heart everytime i hear that song by the time I get to Asgore its like stomping on the remains of my feels ;~; Asgores got an amazing theme though :D

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
SPOILERS That whole ending sequence with the walking while the monsters told the story and walking to asgore shatters my heart everytime i hear that song by the time I get to Asgore its like stomping on the remains of my feels ;~; Asgores got an amazing theme though :D
I listen to that theme all the time. That, and Spider Dance. But I can't listen to that song you were talking about. My heart simply can't take it. Even the first few notes are enough to make me cry.

Reactions: Clover102

Alex--Dash

Chiro the Bat Pony
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Utah
Top 5 GOAT easily.
Only played a pacifist so far, but I can't bring myself to move on to a genocide.

DShou

Tianhuo is Best Longma
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
dshou.deviantart.com
Genocide run is pretty great

But if y'all really want an experience, please try out the Dog Ending if you haven't already

Nameless_One

Altruistic Seeker Goat
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
With all the praise Undertale gets, I'm surprised that there has not been much talk of Toby Fox's first game. Undertale was his second game. I'd love to see Let's Plays of his first game.

Clover102

Aspiring Animator
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
my house
clover102.tumblr.com
With all the praise Undertale gets, I'm surprised that there has not been much talk of Toby Fox's first game. Undertale was his second game. I'd love to see Let's Plays of his first game.
Didn't know he made a game before undertale knew him mostly for his amazing music work in homestuck what's his first game called?

Oscarglez93

The best mid tier you'll encounter
Feb 3, 2016
Easily one of the best games of 2015 but I can't consider it GOTY, while it has one of the strongest plots I have ever seen, the most original and deep characters and a soundtrack so incredible and beautiful, the bad thing is that it lacks difficulty (not including the 2 extra bosses of the genocide route) the only worthy battles are the bosses and the game itself is at much 5 hours long in a normal/pacifist run. The charm of the game are the jokes, the pesonality of each character and the story but to be considered GOTY it needs a good gameplay to stand on wich it lacks, the fight/mercy rule is innovative but is not that deep itself since you don't really need an strategy or anything to win since the main charm of the game as I said before is the story.

I'll give it a 8.5/10