Times you nearly broke the [controller/handheld/computer/ etc.]

dilydaly

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
I recently was playing Gravity Rush 1 on my Vita, on the 2 hour trolley ride home.

GR uses both gyro controls and standard sticks and buttons. I had completely forgotten to turn the motion controls off for the trolley ride, and they are quite useful if you are not moving around a lot IRL (IE, sitting on the toliet).
I went against a boss fight, not even that difficult, early game boss. But I ended spending 90 minutes on them cause I left the motion controls on, and every time I would try and hit the boss, my aim would shift just the slightest off target due to the constant turning and shifting of the trolley.
After dying the 5th time due to not being able to beat the boss and just eventually getting hit too much, I nearly snapped my vita in half. In the process of just sitting there and applying heavy pressure to the back center of the unit, I noticed that my camera was shifting and tilting along with the movement of the trolley. I turned the motion off and beat the boss in 2 minutes.

Reactions: Tox

Leatherface

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 27, 2016
Re remake: attempting to do a knife only run, even as Chris, is incredibly frustrating. Eventually I had to give up before I either broke the controller or my hand.

SubrosianDimitri

The King of Poor Decision Making
Crowdfund Backer
Arc Rise Fantasia: The bonus boss, Allwise. The bonus dungeon leading up to him is awesome, you get all the dead characters as guest party members (and they have powerful magic to boot), fun spins on old bosses, great character interactions, and it's a great place to level grind and get the best healing items in the game as drops from enemies (elixirs are amazing, and they drop like apples from a tree). But the whole thing is spoiled by the horrid fight with Allwise. Every single turn, he starts by roaring, which raises a random stat/resistance and makes him invincible unless you attack him or the turn ends. You need to either be able to cast spells faster than him, or waste AP getting the shield down. He then follows up with an attack that always drops you to critical health unless you defend, even if you double your HP with level 3 fire magic. And to make things worse, he has arm forces to block or reflect physical or magical damage, and they seem to proc every single time you do anything to attack him. It took me an hour to beat him the first time, and I'm not looking forward to fighting him again when I get up to the cameo boss in my current playthrough.

D96

Michigan Wolverines Fanatic
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Michigan
www.reddit.com
The times I've gotten mad enough to almost break my control haven't been because of a specific game but because of internet connectivity issues. I can handle the occasional drop, but when it's non-stop for 30 minutes? Yeah, that gets me frustrated really quickly and it just goes from there.

BypenThynDragon

I for one welcom our new ruler Smugdeer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Beating Cave Story's final true boss... took me 4 + hours to do.

CactusPearGamer

Sheep Dude
Banished to the Hold
Feb 4, 2016
Southeastern United States
The Steam version of the Mega Man-esque platformer "Mibibli's Quest" has an "Insanity Shuffle" mode, where random extra enemies are added to the already difficult levels (and are reshuffled every time you die), and you no longer get invincibility after taking hitstun, meaning certain enemies can prop you against a wall and do bad things to you until you die and get an entirely new way to get comboed to death in a corner.

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
I don't do this. I maintain a rational core no matter how annoyed I get. I know if I break something, I'll be even more annoyed at having to replace it (not to mention the inconvenience of going without in the interim).

That said, I decided to try this with an older keyboard I had hooked up to my PS3, back when I was still playing with the PS3 (so, years ago). I was annoyed at something in-game, and decided to see if I would experience a catharsis from hitting my keyboard. I did not, and my keyboard's space key became half-stuck (it still worked, but generally wouldn't return fully to the starting position it used to occupy). Thusly confirming that I did not like breaking my stuff, I never repeated the experiment.

Usually I just cuss at my display a bit, and maybe bang on my chair's arm or something, but even that is rare. Usually I just give up if I determine that the game is just too difficult. It's only when I KNOW I can do it that I get frustrated when I keep getting screwed over. The last time this happened was with Just Cause 3 (Around September or early October of 2016). There was a bike race thing, and the land vehicles in that game (and especially bikes) are just unreliable, and the terrain can be buggy. I would often fail because of invisible blockages on the path, or my character flies off the bike after the big drop. When I finally beat the race (got Gold that is), I had plenty of time to spare (9 seconds or so, I think?), after something like an hour of trying. The land vehicle mechanics in that game were crap, is what I'm saying.

Tox

Ms. Fortune is best pone
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
NSW, Australia
steamcommunity.com
Tekken 6 on PSP. I actually took the game disc out (without properly shutting down) and forcibly destroyed it.

Skate 3: I actually DID smash the controller. But that was because it was a glitchy controller and kept f*king up my lines.
I don't usually get angry... but when I do, I don't half-measure. I am a man of extremes; no middle ground.

Nadia

Feb 4, 2016
Germany
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker on the Ps3 made me almost breake my controller out of frustration, it had a Minigame where you had do rapid button pressing, but it was so insane hard that I was not able to do it, I was only able to finish that part after I got a controller with a Auto Fire Option. I had to let it do 40 hits per second until I was able to beat that Minigame. ö_Ö

Redness

The Class Pet
Oct 17, 2016
Fœnum
www.youtube.com
One of the times was in Audiosurf 2.
The short story is that the best player in the entire game dethroned me in a record that I was proud of. I tried for 15+hours to get that record back, but I eventually gave up... I cried.

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
One of the times was in Audiosurf 2.
The short story is that the best player in the entire game dethroned me in a record that I was proud of. I tried for 15+hours to get that record back, but I eventually gave up... I cried.
Awwww dood *hugs*.

At least you can console yourself that you were beaten by the best? Small comfort, but still.

Reactions: Redness

PixelGrip94

Games, Movies, Music, & Ponies!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
When I was a kid, I had a GBA and would play Super Mario Advance 2. During parts of the game I couldn't beat, especially the final boss, I would bang my head against the GBA screen in frustration which (unsurprisingly) led to my screen breaking.

In the case of most recent game that brought me to this point was playing Rayman Origins to 100%. Those time trials really knew how to grind my gears.

SubrosianDimitri

The King of Poor Decision Making
Crowdfund Backer
The ending of Ritsuko's route in Princess Evangile, specifically the actions of the headmistress and what became of her:
- Mental abuse of her older daughter (Ayaka)
- Not giving a crap about Ayaka being kidnapped and held for ransom
- Threatening to expel Masaya (the protagonist) from the school if her daughter gets together with him
- Interrupting a treasured school event
- Paying gangsters to kidnap Masaya
- Forcing Ritsuko to marry some guy she doesn't know in exchange for Masaya's safe return (knowing it would hurt her daughter greatly)
- Getting off scot-free for everything with just a verbal apology! No punishment for the abuse of minors, abuse of authority, and extortion via ransom (in other words, felonies)

I still liked most of the route, the romance felt very natural and I was overjoyed with the end result of the story, but that wretched headmistress really soured it, and I doubt she'll be any less horrid in the other 3 routes.