Three quick questions.

Zenopo

MERRY-GO-ROUND
Backers' Beta Tester
Oct 17, 2016
1.) What is going on with all this Velvet on the site?
2.) Why did Mane6 partner up with Humble Bundle? This question was most likely answered somewhere, but I couldn't find it.
3.) How well has Humble Bundle been as a publisher(?)?

Lurk

Feb 17, 2018
2.) Why did Mane6 partner up with Humble Bundle? This question was most likely answered somewhere, but I couldn't find it.
I can at least answer #1. It seems that the forum admins have started celebrating tomorrow early.

SmokeRulz

Where there is smoke, there is fire!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
1) APRIL FLOOFS
2) Humble Bundle picked up the game as publisher, which means they're going to help fund future content and help the game grow beyond what the crowdfund money funded. This was basically a best-case scenario type deal. They also likely were the ones that helped get the crossover promotions with Skullgirls and the ArcSys fighters, and generally have been helping promote the game.
3) This I can't really answer. I believe this is the 4th game (all indies?) they've picked up as a publisher, so it's a relatively new venture for them. They're generally a well-received company, though, and perhaps someone from Mane6 could share what the experience has been like so far, if it wouldn't step on anyone's toes.

Zenopo

MERRY-GO-ROUND
Backers' Beta Tester
Oct 17, 2016
1) APRIL FLOOFS
2) Humble Bundle picked up the game as publisher, which means they're going to help fund future content and help the game grow beyond what the crowdfund money funded. This was basically a best-case scenario type deal. They also likely were the ones that helped get the crossover promotions with Skullgirls and the ArcSys fighters, and generally have been helping promote the game.
3) This I can't really answer. I believe this is the 4th game (all indies?) they've picked up as a publisher, so it's a relatively new venture for them. They're generally a well-received company, though, and perhaps someone from Mane6 could share what the experience has been like so far, if it wouldn't step on anyone's toes.
Thanks for the reply, yours to Tribble.
As for 2.) That's all well and fine, but I meant it like; I thought going on Kickstarter and reaching your goal meant not going to a publisher and staying Independent? It's great how Humble has been supporting TFH and hope they end up being a great Publisher, Lord Gaben knows we need could use some.

SmokeRulz

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I thought going on Kickstarter and reaching your goal meant not going to a publisher and staying Independent?
Well yeah, sure, in some cases. Ultimately, though, the crowdfund got the game funded as well as some stretch goals. But further content for the game after release would require publisher support, massively successful game sales overall, or if deemed necessary, a second crowdfund much later on. Landing a publisher means further support of the game for the future is set in stone. And I doubt Mane6 would accept a publisher if they didn't think they were getting a good one.

Reactions: Pom d'or

Zenopo

MERRY-GO-ROUND
Backers' Beta Tester
Oct 17, 2016
Well yeah, sure, in some cases. Ultimately, though, the crowdfund got the game funded as well as some stretch goals. But further content for the game after release would require publisher support, massively successful game sales overall, or if deemed necessary, a second crowdfund much later on. Landing a publisher means further support of the game for the future is set in stone. And I doubt Mane6 would accept a publisher if they didn't think they were getting a good one.
Fair enough, I just assumed they had all the money they needed. I mean, Skullgirls got through alright and this game is in a pretty similar state as Skullgrils was, right?
With how publisher's are today, I can only hope Humble proves to be a good one, though I heard they teamed up with IGN for something, which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

SmokeRulz

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Fair enough, I just assumed they had all the money they needed. I mean, Skullgirls got through alright and this game is in a pretty similar state as Skullgrils was, right?
With how publisher's are today, I can only hope Humble proves to be a good one, though I heard they teamed up with IGN for something, which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.
TFH is still too new to be considered in a similar state as Skullgirls. What happened with Skullgirls was a whole pile of crap regarding their publishers, so they ended up doing a second crowdfund to give the game a huge update that it deserved. I think they picked up another publisher along the way, too.

And I believe IGN purchased Humble Bundle, which was kind of odd, but it doesn't appear to have affected anything at all. Humble still operates exactly the same.

Zenopo

MERRY-GO-ROUND
Backers' Beta Tester
Oct 17, 2016
TFH is still too new to be considered in a similar state as Skullgirls. What happened with Skullgirls was a whole pile of crap regarding their publishers, so they ended up doing a second crowdfund to give the game a huge update that it deserved. I think they picked up another publisher along the way, too.

And I believe IGN purchased Humble Bundle, which was kind of odd, but it doesn't appear to have affected anything at all. Humble still operates exactly the same.
I meant to say TFH now is in a similar state as Skullgirls was back when they were Kickstarted. I was unaware that they even had a publisher to have a "whole pile of crap" with. I assumed they were Indie from the start, I just now noticed on their Steam page that they have a Publisher that aren't themselves.

Oh, so it's worse than a team-up...It's great Humble hasn't changed, but I fear they will (forced to) with time.

SmokeRulz

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I meant to say TFH now is in a similar state as Skullgirls was back when they were Kickstarted. I was unaware that they even had a publisher to have a "whole pile of crap" with. I assumed they were Indie from the start, I just now noticed on their Steam page that they have a Publisher that aren't themselves.
Well yeah it was indie, and it still is. Just because you have a publisher doesn't mean you're not an indie game. Unless they're considered a AAA dev and they have some kind of ownership over the game, or something.

If you're curious, Skullgirls had a publisher on PC that had to drop them because they were liquidating assets due to a lawsuit (unrelated to Skullgirls). The devs I believe also had publishing help from Konami to get the game on consoles, but then Konami decided to be Konami and not care about Skullgirls anymore, so Lab Zero dropped them and ran the second Indiegogo. I don't know when Autumn Games jumped on board, but they're the ones publishing it now, so hooray.

Oh, so it's worse than a team-up...It's great Humble hasn't changed, but I fear they will (forced to) with time.
I doubt that. No need to doomsay just because IGN put the site under their umbrella.

Reactions: Pom d'or

Zenopo

MERRY-GO-ROUND
Backers' Beta Tester
Oct 17, 2016
Well yeah it was indie, and it still is. Just because you have a publisher doesn't mean you're not an indie game. Unless they're considered a AAA dev and they have some kind of ownership over the game, or something.

If you're curious, Skullgirls had a publisher on PC that had to drop them because they were liquidating assets due to a lawsuit (unrelated to Skullgirls). The devs I believe also had publishing help from Konami to get the game on consoles, but then Konami decided to be Konami and not care about Skullgirls anymore, so Lab Zero dropped them and ran the second Indiegogo. I don't know when Autumn Games jumped on board, but they're the ones publishing it now, so hooray.
Noted~

That sounds like quite the struggle, but dang did it seem like Lab Zero had everything under control. (As someone who hasn't played much Skullgirls or followed them to much.) Also kudos for them by dropping Publishers that didn't work out, typically Publishers drop Devs in this day of age.

I doubt that. No need to doomsay just because IGN put the site under their umbrella.
I throw IGN under the same umbrella as EA and Activision. I HOPE nothing happens to Humble, the same way I HOPED nothing would happen to Bungie under Activision. Everything so far is good, but I keep my hope and expectations rather low now-a-days. I'm not a fan of falling from high places.

Pom d'or

Gave himself a fake award
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
Just because you have a publisher doesn't mean you're not an indie game.
Wow. It used to be, that's literally what that meant: your album/film/game was produced independent of any publisher.
Usage of the term 'indie' has changed along with the times, I guess. (And, I'm not disagreeing with you.)
So what does it mean now? Just generally 'outside the (perceived) establishment'?

Reactions: indie_animator

SmokeRulz

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
So what does it mean now? Just generally 'outside the (perceived) establishment'?
Yeah, pretty much? At least when it comes to video games. I mean, Skullgirls has always had a publisher at various points, but it's always been referred to as an indie fighter. TFH is still being called an indie fighter. These games are made by a generally small team of people, and they (and likely the publishers) are not under the umbrella of any of the major "AAA" game publishers or console developers. That's enough for people to consider games to still generally be considered indies. Obviously there are some games that are FULLY independant, as in self-published, but even so. In the minds of many, simply having some publisher support doesn't automatically strip the "indie" tag from you.

Meanwhile you look at something like We Happy Few, a game that was crowdfunded, was in Early Access for a while, and was generally an indie game people were looking forward to whenever it got finished. Then it got picked up by Gearbox Software and was run through the AAA-game grinder, checking off every damn tickbox on the checklist: $60 price tag, preorder bonuses, season pass, gameless collector's edition, etc etc. That right there ain't an indie game anymore; it went too far up the industry ladder and got swept up by a AAA publisher.