Thoughts on SMT x Fire Emblem?

Super jorsour64

gotta him em' with dat Hogwa$h
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
I was just curious to see how people feel about the anticipated, yet odd crossover. I, as a casual fan of both franchises was pretty disappointed also that the awesome teaser trailer shown in 2013 wouldn't be the final product. But it's grown on me over time. I really feel that it should have been called: "Persona x Fire Emblem Awakening" because that's the feeling I get when I see it.

At least the OST is amazing. I mean, This is just the NORMAL battle music!:

Cronnicossy

Fighter Enthusiast & Teacher
Backers' Beta Tester
Honestly the games existance has been confusing me and a RL friend of mine for a long time.

I thought it was gonna be a weird... Idol... pop... waifu, game thing?
But you showing me a Battle theme, well...
It has Battles... I guess?

Clearly I need to do more research.
Thanks for reminding me to do so.

Reactions: Super jorsour64

Super jorsour64

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Honestly the games existance has been confusing me and a RL friend of mine for a long time.

I thought it was gonna be a weird... Idol... pop... waifu, game thing?
But you showing me a Battle theme, well...
It has Battles... I guess?

Clearly I need to do more research.
Thanks for reminding me to do so.
ha wow yeah man! You no doubt have heard of Fire Emblem before I'm sure, but Shin Megami Tensei is a bit more niche. Check them out if you can! they're great JRPGs!

Talen-Jei

Gureato Daze
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 8, 2016
Louisiana

I don't know about SMTxFE, I mean... Just look at that. Not sure if I could ever take the game seriously after seeing J-Pop Song Oriented Super Saiyan Marth.

EpicBleye

Waifu Stealer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 8, 2016
your dreams.
Not really liking this game only because they call it "SMT x FE" but it is barely a crossover. It's closer to j-pop + smt with Awakening characters as the demons. There's a reason it sold horribly in Japan.

That said, the gameplay is actually said to be really good, so I might pick it up.

Midnight_Blitz

The Reason Why We Can't Have Nice Things
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Somewhere, Out There
I have heard... things... about this. Honestly, I don't care what those things say. I am getting this game if it's the last thing I do. I'm a serious fan of both series, so I feel like no matter the outcome, I'll be right at home.

Galaxy Heart

Caffeine-Based Life Form
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Down the ne'er-do-well.
The thing about this game is that it was actually initially a failed IP that Atlus wanted to revive with this exact premise.
And then they saw they now had the rights to Fire Emblem and SMT... and thus, this was born. I think the entire name change from "Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem" to "Gebei Ibun Roku #FE" was the big warning sigh here.
Apparently the gameplay itself is acceptable, but I won't be buying it simply as a "Atlus, this isn't acceptable to just slap beloved names onto a steaming pile of horse crap."

Honestly, I'm kinda glad it didn't sell well in Japan for the above reason. We were essentially promised something great and it ended up as... that.

Last edited:

Super jorsour64

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
The thing about this game is that it was actually initially a failed IP that Atlus wanted to revive with this exact premise.
And then they saw they now had the rights to Fire Emblem and SMT... and thus, this was born. I think the entire name change from "Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem" to "Gebei Ibun Roku #FE" was the big warning sigh here.
Apparently the gameplay itself is acceptable, but I won't be buying it simply as a "Atlus, this isn't acceptable to just slap beloved names onto a steaming pile of horse crap."

Honestly, I'm kinda glad it didn't sell well in Japan for the above reason. We were essentially promised something great and it ended up as... that.
Really? That's very interesting. I always felt something was odd about the game post teaser trailer. I wasn't that hype for this anyway compared to Persona 5 personally...

Galaxy Heart

Caffeine-Based Life Form
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Down the ne'er-do-well.
Really? That's very interesting. I always felt something was odd about the game post teaser trailer. I wasn't that hype for this anyway compared to Persona 5 personally...
"Genei Ibun Roku ♯FE was the brainchild of Nintendo producer Kaori Ando, who voiced his wish to make a Fire Emblem crossover to fellow producer Hitoshi Yamagami. Ando's initial vision was for a collaboration between the Fire Emblem and Pokémon series, but this was rejected as a similar collaboration was being developed in the form of Pokémon Conquest. Ando redrafted his proposal and submitted it a week later as a crossover between Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei. Atlus, the developer of the Shin Megami Tensei series, had previously worked with Nintendo on a game titled Itsumo Purikura ☆ Kuradeko Puremium for the Nintendo DSi and 3DS. When the project was originally pitched to Atlus in 2010, it was assumed that they were not interested after their unenthusiastic response and later said they were too busy to undertake the collaboration. Over a year later, Atlus inquired as to whether the subject was still open for discussion, and it transpired that they had been highly enthusiastic while still being too busy with other projects. "

Honestly, it explains a lot...

Talen-Jei

Gureato Daze
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 8, 2016
Louisiana
I have heard... things... about this. Honestly, I don't care what those things say. I am getting this game if it's the last thing I do. I'm a serious fan of both series, so I feel like no matter the outcome, I'll be right at home.
From what I've seen of it, it feels like it alienates fans of both much more than anything.

EpicBleye

Waifu Stealer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 8, 2016
your dreams.
I honestly try to forget this game exists. Two awesome IPs with the potential for a brilliant crossover, and they give me Love Live WiiU
you act like that's a bad thing

but seriously, this game had the ability to be a great crossover, but just ended up looking like fanservice: the game. But again, gameplay is apparently great, so it's not a total loss.

SquiddyWiddy

Your Local Squid
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
I wanna play it, but this is gonna be one game I'll probably play exclusively on the wiiu game pad (unless it doesn't let you, in which case I'll be sad).

Octavia

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Im a fire emblem fan, but not really much of a smt fan, so since the gameplay and aesthetic is mostly modeled off of SMT/Persona I dunno if Ill really be into it. I was excited about it at first, but eh.

Super jorsour64

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Im a fire emblem fan, but not really much of a smt fan, so since the gameplay and aesthetic is mostly modeled off of SMT/Persona I dunno if Ill really be into it. I was excited about it at first, but eh.
SMT and Persona are great jrpgs! You should check them out!

snowyblitz

The poofiest of ponies.
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
I'm a big fan of both SMT and Fire Emblem and I really hope this crossover is done right.

SMT's story takes itself very serious and on several occasions in 4 I had to stop and actually think about my choices.

Senjin

Resident Musician
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Chicago
"Genei Ibun Roku ♯FE was the brainchild of Nintendo producer Kaori Ando, who voiced his wish to make a Fire Emblem crossover to fellow producer Hitoshi Yamagami. Ando's initial vision was for a collaboration between the Fire Emblem and Pokémon series, but this was rejected as a similar collaboration was being developed in the form of Pokémon Conquest. Ando redrafted his proposal and submitted it a week later as a crossover between Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei. Atlus, the developer of the Shin Megami Tensei series, had previously worked with Nintendo on a game titled Itsumo Purikura ☆ Kuradeko Puremium for the Nintendo DSi and 3DS. When the project was originally pitched to Atlus in 2010, it was assumed that they were not interested after their unenthusiastic response and later said they were too busy to undertake the collaboration. Over a year later, Atlus inquired as to whether the subject was still open for discussion, and it transpired that they had been highly enthusiastic while still being too busy with other projects. "

Honestly, it explains a lot...
I totally forgot Pokémon Conquest was a thing...

I wonder if Ando trying to do crossover stuff with FE was because that franchise was on it's death bed. Maybe try and have a plan B in case Awakening didn't do very well. Ironic that Awakening doing so well is actually why a lot of people are now paying attention to this game. Unfortunately, after watching a fair amount of early gameplay for it, it doesn't look all that great. It certainly looks a lot better than I was expecting it to, but it's definitely more SMT than FE, and I've always been more into FE than SMT...

Whitetail

Mane6 Dev
Mane6 Developer
Feb 3, 2016
soundcloud.com
I hear this game crashed in Japan

As for the concept of taking two of the hardest most gritty series Nintendo's released on handheld and combining them into some weird... idol... girl obsession game thing I just
Man I don't even know who thought it was a good idea did anyone want this game like bad waifu games aside why would you combine those two series of all things to make that

Galaxy Heart

Caffeine-Based Life Form
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Down the ne'er-do-well.
I hear this game crashed in Japan

As for the concept of taking two of the hardest most gritty series Nintendo's released on handheld and combining them into some weird... idol... girl obsession game thing I just
Man I don't even know who thought it was a good idea did anyone want this game like bad waifu games aside why would you combine those two series of all things to make that
Crashed is putting it lightly.
22k copies in opening week and the sellthrough of their initial shipment was 21%.

Whitetail

Mane6 Dev
Mane6 Developer
Feb 3, 2016
soundcloud.com
Crashed is putting it lightly.
22k copies in opening week and the sellthrough of their initial shipment was 21%.
Tbh I just worry this'll push them to drop Fire Emblem even more
Fates is.... a really weird direction for the series and you can see them trying to grasp for new ways to keep the series alive. It was going to be dropped if Awakening didn't sell well but the problem was it did, just not in Japan

EpicBleye

Waifu Stealer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 8, 2016
your dreams.
I doubt they'll drop FE anytime soon. Fates did well in Japan (even if it was criticized for story reasons) and it looks like it'll be really successful here too. I don't think this game doing poorly will have much impact other than maybe straining relations with Atlus.

Honestly, as much as putting Corrin into Sm4sh seemed like shilling, I've seen a lot of people saying that they were going to pick up Fates because of it, so it was a great decision on Nintendo's part.