This Post Is Overrated/Underrated

PixelGrip94

Games, Movies, Music, & Ponies!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I enjoy hearing people's thoughts and opinions and why they feel they way they do about these things (provided the reasinine behind it makes sense). As a result, here's another opinion post I'm starting.

Here's how it works:

- Post a piece of media, be it TV series, game, movie, book, anything that you personally believe is overrated and why.

OR

- Post a piece of media that you believe is underrated and why.

Things to keep in mind:

- When you post something, please make it a point to give a legitimate reason why it is over or underrated. This is a place for people to share their opinions for the sake of sharing them.

- Please, please, please, PLEASE DO NOT TURN THIS THREAD INTO A FIGHT BETWEEN TWO OPINIONS. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and should not be bullied because their opinion does not match the status quo. In other words, KEEP IT CIVIL and if you don't agree with someone, either don't reply, or reply in the most courteous way possible.

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I'll go first.

In my opinion, Borderlands (1 & 2) is overrated because while it may function well as a co-op game, it doesn't function well as a single player game due to the campaign difficulty not changing between single player or co-op, and that some problems that other games are criticized for, like the lack of a mini-map and hard-to-control vehicles, are ignored in the case of Borderlands.

Reactions: Gamerdude854

Gamerdude854

Pizza Pasta
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 7, 2016
Canada
I personally think Undertale is overrated. Now don't get me wrong, I love this game, but I don't think it's perfect or GOTY, it's a great game, but not that great. Some of the puzzles are just lackluster and frustrating while others are boringly simple. Some of the fights on the pacifist run can last an annoyingly long time, and the genocide run can be a little frustrating too. Although these are really just nitpicks. So in the end I just think the game gets a little too much praise, plus it was somehow voted one of the best games of all time, even beating games like SM64 and Melee

drawmesunshine

Knitting fever
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Planet Neighmek
I think Frozen is an awfully overrated movie.

The plot was chintzy, the character development was almost non-existant, Elsa was both the villain and the hero, but couldn't commit to either side which made for a very dull and uninteresting story.

And Olaf sucks.

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I think Frozen is an awfully overrated movie.

The plot was chintzy, the character development was almost non-existant, Elsa was both the villain and the hero, but couldn't commit to either side which made for a very dull and uninteresting story.

And Olaf sucks.
OH MY GOD, YES! SOMEONE WHO AGREES WITH ME ON FROZEN WHO'S NOT RELATED TO ME! HALLELUJAH!

But yes, I wholeheartedly agree. The songs were unmemorable except for the chorus of 'Let It Go' (only at this point I remember more of the song because of kids constantly playing it at the Wal-Mart I work at), the rock trolls were completely useless as anything except plot exposition fairies (and their song could literally be cut out of the film and not affect it in any way), the film is said to be one that empowers women and yet the only two women in the film consists of an idiot and a nervous wreck. Not to mention the fact that it criticizes the idea of Anna falling in love with someone she doesn't know at all with Hans only to do it again at the end of the film with Kristoff, a man whom she does nothing but argue with which apparently means that they're in love. The only part of the film that didn't irritate me was ironically the part that I thought would irritate me the most, and that was Olaf. He was actually kind of funny in his oblivious personality, but I do acknowledge that his sole purpose in the film was merchandising because he had less of an important role than the rock trolls. And those are just a couple of problems I had with the film, I had a lot more but can't remember them right now because I've attempted to push the film out of my mind after so many people consider it one of the greatest Disney movies ever over masterpieces like Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, and Aladdin. Hell, Hercules and Pocahontas were better.

Reactions: drawmesunshine

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I've got a new one. Journey for the PS3/PS4.

While I don't hate this game, I don't feel it deserves as much praise as people give it. it has amazing visuals and beautiful music but that's about all I found great about it. While I understand what the game was trying to do (basically be a piece of art similar to the way films do on occasion), because of the type of medium games are I don't feel that it worked very well. At least not for me. While I respect other people thought this game was amazing, I jut thought it was meh. Especially considering I would literally fall asleep in the middle of playing it, wake up 10 minutes later with my hand still pressing forward on the analog stick and see that I didn't miss anything.

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
Inception.

It was all everyone talked about back when it came out, and even ended up becoming a meme (which I admit to participating in).

I, personally, thought the movie was OK, maybe even good, and a nice technical achievement with its special effects and whatnot. Still, I thought it was a bit overrated.

Reactions: Tox

PixelGrip94

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
The Fifth Element. Just watched this movie and to be honest: I wasn't impressed. It was pretty short, certainly not long enough to establish many of the relationships between the characters especially the romance between Bruce Willis and Milla Jovovich's characters. It was funny at times, but not enough for me to see what all the fuss is about.

Tox

Ms. Fortune is best pone
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
NSW, Australia
steamcommunity.com
Eyebrows are SO underrated! You hardly notice them or anything. But they do SO MUCH for your face/appearance and facial language. Can you imagine how odd we'd look with no eyebrows?

I had a mate who got just one of his eyebrows shaved off (long story). Boy did he look like a goof! ...I'm rambling, aren't I?

I personally think Undertale is overrated. Now don't get me wrong, I love this game, but I don't think it's perfect or GOTY, it's a great game, but not that great. Some of the puzzles are just lackluster and frustrating while others are boringly simple. Some of the fights on the pacifist run can last an annoyingly long time, and the genocide run can be a little frustrating too. Although these are really just nitpicks. So in the end I just think the game gets a little too much praise, plus it was somehow voted one of the best games of all time, even beating games like SM64 and Melee
I was going to dispute that. Cause it is one of my top favs. But, yeah if it beat SM64 in a GOAT contest. I think that constitutes overrated. I mean, Undertale is (imo) one of the best. But it's defs not THAT unbeatable.

Last edited:
Reactions: PixelGrip94

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
I personally also think Undertale is overrated, as while it is a good lil' game, it's not THAT unique. Also, it's overratedness can easily ruin it for people, because spoilers.

But if you want an underrated game with routes similar as in Undertale, grab Iji. It's a free game with an amazing soundtrack.