1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Them's Fightin' Herds is now out on Early Access!
    You can buy it from these links.
    Humble Bundle // Steam

3. Current Early Access Patch: 1-4-2019

Thinking about starting up a TFH-focused NJ local

Discussion in 'East Coast' started by Songhacker, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Songhacker

Songhacker Backers' Beta Tester
    Backers' Beta Tester

I want to see what kind of interest I can drum up for a small TFH-local tourney in the central NJ area, a bit south of New Brunswick/Rutgers.

I have enough space to host a max of about 10 people (including me), no more than that, and it would be a bi-weekly affair for Sunday afternoon/early evening. I can also plan for Monday/Tuesday evenings if people would prefer, but I figure Sunday might work better. Fridays and Saturdays are no go for me.

We would ideally have a minimum of two setups (one for tourney and one for friendlies), but I only have the one on my PC right now. I'd be asking for support just to get the extra one, and then we could make things even smoother with any additional setups from there. I don't know if I have enough space/hardware on hand to actually stream the locals, but perhaps over time we could figure that out (or find a better space to work with). We'd still at least be locally recording the matches, at any rate.

Again, right now I'm just gauging interest and assessing feasibility. I would like for this to happen to help bolster the NE-coast offline community, but it's also possible that somewhere else already has what I want nearby on one of the same available days. If we do get this going, it should go without saying but I'ma say it anyways: I expect everyone to be courteous and shit. I would be running this from a decently-sized apartment in a doors-leading-to-streetside complex, and although the majority of it would take place in a furnished basement area, there's still sound leakage here and there so excessive yelling/freak-outs won't be tolerated (match hype is okay so long as it doesn't go overboard). I'll have no hesitation kicking anyone out that causes problems.

There's technically limited parking, but the various open parking spots at the clubhouse/leasing office should be enough for only 9 additional cars (assuming no carpools).

Obviously, there are some limitations here, but it's something I'm willing to go with if peeps wanna' try it out. Please let me know if you're interested, either in this topic or with a PM in the Fightin' FĹ“natics Discord.

2. Yeena

Yeena DANCING YEEN, YOUNG AND SWEET, ONLY SEVENYEEN
    Backers' Beta Tester

Damn. Wish I had a car for this.

Delusional Dreamer likes this.
  3. Songhacker

Backers' Beta Tester

Eh, doesn't seem to matter much yet. I'll definitely give this post at least a few weeks, but so far it's lookin' like crickets in here.

Yeena likes this.
  4. Songhacker

Backers' Beta Tester

Currently changing gears here and considering the Salty Joystiq in Southern NJ instead as our intended venue. I just made a post in the FF server about it and am hoping for maybe a few more bites on the line.

5. Yeena

Yeena DANCING YEEN, YOUNG AND SWEET, ONLY SEVENYEEN
    Backers' Beta Tester

Found a ride for this new venue. Express interest and meet your favorite(?) Yeen.

6. Songhacker

Backers' Beta Tester

7. Candel

Candel sleepyhoers

I will totally attend if this becomes a thing

Delusional Dreamer likes this.
  8. super hurricane

super hurricane Well-Known Member

9. Songhacker

Backers' Beta Tester

Uhhh...even though this event (which I attended and got 0-2ed at) already passed, I feel the need to point out it was very much a Smash tournament, and only that. There was absolutely no way TFH was going to get streamed at this event. LMM also only had so many resources; despite being a good event they only had 2 streams to work with. I did debate bringing a setup on the side, but that would have been a pretty out-of-touch thing to do as Ultimate is super-fresh and people are doing everything they can to get as much offline matchup experience as possible.

The only way competitive TFH will continue to be streamed is at dedicated locals or via online events. It is far, far too niche for any major event to consider streaming it, unless the stream they are running is specifically a "lol look at these unheard-of fighting games" side stream, and even then it'd be rough to get enough players for that to work. I think the whole of 2018 had 3 events where there were 8 or more TFH players (ComboBreaker, CEO, and CEOtaku) in a TFH tourney, and each of those events had very dedicated organizers pushing to make sure TFH happened at all.

Unrelated to any of that, I'll mention that so far we have 4 people (including myself) confirmed to be able to attend a monthly like this once we start up, so if there are any others out there thinking about it please, please reach out to me. I go by FiveByFive in-game and elsewhere now but you can always hit me up here as well.

10. Dem

Dem New Member

I'd love to go, but that's a good 3 hours from where I live lol. Maybe if I'm feeling extra bored some weekend.

Losing against people with no input lag will be worth it lol.