Them's Fightin' Herds: Backers' Beta starts May 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosContrl

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
After 1 year and 8 months (with a few days as a margin) of development after the funding, it has finally hit the Beta stage. Good job!

Reactions: AuruM and Tox

Alexander Torok

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Best friends...till the end of time. We got each other's Back(er)s!

...okay even I admit that was horrific.

Pom d'or

Gave himself a fake award
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
Another quick question.
For people reporting bugs during the Backer's Beta, would it be useful to put our system specs in our forum sig?
I've never been in a beta before but I know some software troubleshooting websites (etc.) encourage users to put their specs in their sig for convenience.

Or, maybe you're not expecting people's individual system specs to matter, with the kinds of bugs you're looking for.

Good luck in this final week; really looking forward to it.

Reactions: Tox

CountParadox

Is the answer to this question no?
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Kansas
I got a question, though I'm sure it's been answered in one place or another, but how do I get that little "Backers' Beta Tester" banner under my avatar? I paid $140, so I was wondering if it was automatic or something?

Firekirby

Star Warrior
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Hotter than heck, FL
discord.gg
I got a question, though I'm sure it's been answered in one place or another, but how do I get that little "Backers' Beta Tester" banner under my avatar? I paid $140, so I was wondering if it was automatic or something?
Should have been automatic, same as the backer banner. If I had to guess, it's probably another hiccup by the automated system this time, and should be able to be fixed manually easy enough.

CountParadox

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Kansas
Should have been automatic, same as the backer banner. If I had to guess, it's probably another hiccup by the automated system this time, and should be able to be fixed manually easy enough.
Ah, ok then. I remember I had to get it manually fixed befor to get my backers banner, but I don't exactly remember who I went to to do so...

Firekirby

Star Warrior
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Hotter than heck, FL
discord.gg
Ah, ok then. I remember I had to get it manually fixed befor to get my backers banner, but I don't exactly remember who I went to to do so...
Hopefully someone, probably @ManeSix , will be able to get that sorted for ya. If you need to continue talking about this subject, I would suggest doing so in the appropriate thread over here, made specifically for issues like this, to keep from derailing this thread entirely. ;)

Reactions: Cyberfox VII

CountParadox

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Kansas
Hopefully someone, probably @ManeSix , will be able to get that sorted for ya. If you need to continue talking about this subject, I would suggest doing so in the appropriate thread over here, made specifically for issues like this, to keep from derailing this thread entirely. ;)
Ah, ok, sorry bout that! :oops: Didn't mean to derail.

To get back on track, I am VERY excited about the beta coming soon! Not too good at fighting games, but hopefully I can use this as both helping searching for bugs and getting good. :D

Firekirby

Star Warrior
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Hotter than heck, FL
discord.gg

To get back on track, I am VERY excited about the beta coming soon! Not too good at fighting games, but hopefully I can use this as both helping searching for bugs and getting good. :D
You're fine. ;)

And I'm right there with ya. This is the most excited I've been for a game in a long time, and the only other fighting game experience I have is casual smash, so I'll be struggling through the learning curves right along with ya, and I know for a fact plenty of others will be as well. Needless to say, training mode will be seeing a LOT of use come next weekend. =P

Reactions: CountParadox

BypenThynDragon

I for one welcom our new ruler Smugdeer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
You're fine. ;)

And I'm right there with ya. This is the most excited I've been for a game in a long time, and the only other fighting game experience I have is casual smash, so I'll be struggling through the learning curves right along with ya, and I know for a fact plenty of others will be as well. Needless to say, training mode will be seeing a LOT of use come next weekend. =P

Dont worry, me being the tarible at fighting games, can tell you how to win every game ever this simple combo, bdiebrufhvdjdbualsbdiwnvsidbsusj1257630jchlxod84847hxyosys and then hit the magic button.

NeoTensai

Twitch Streamer, Amateur Shoutcaster...
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 11, 2016
Slovenia, Ljubljana

You're fine. ;)

Don't worry about being bad at the game there is already a TFH community discord that is there to help people with the difficulties of learning fighting games >The Fightin' Fœnatics, V2 (Updated 5/3/17: HIATUS IS OVAH!). We will be more proactive when the beta drops but you can always find someone willing to play with you(training or casual matches). You can even ask for help and I am sure you will find someone that can help.
As for the learning curve, well that is where the training mode kicks in and hopefully it will be extremely useful(judging by the work streams).

qspec

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The FGC with a few exceptions is actually a pretty solid group of people. Just add friends and ask questions. Most people are happy to talk about things. Check the forums too. You'll get free combos and tech, and in my experience people are more than willing to help you with "I can't do 'x'".

Finally, and I think the best advice is "get zen about losing". The genre isn't for everyone. There are people out there who just can't stomach losing. That's fine, but that's not this genre. Just keep in mind that we have all been in that exact same spot, and no matter how good you get, you will still lose (and hopefully learn something from it). Stick it out though. It is very rewarding.

Tox

Ms. Fortune is best pone
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
NSW, Australia
steamcommunity.com
Finally, and I think the best advice is "get zen about losing". The genre isn't for everyone. There are people out there who just can't stomach losing. That's fine, but that's not this genre. Just keep in mind that we have all been in that exact same spot, and no matter how good you get, you will still lose (and hopefully learn something from it). Stick it out though. It is very rewarding.
Testify! \^.^/
It has only been just this week that I've really realised this for myself: you have to be prepared to lose a few fights in order to get good. When I was starting out, the nerves and the fear of losing crippled my progress and enjoyment. But, since I've gotten 'zen about losing', I've gotten better, have more fun and am way more confident in online situations. I've actually won a couple now ^.^

Saki

Spirit of a Pro Gamer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
The FGC with a few exceptions is actually a pretty solid group of people. Just add friends and ask questions. Most people are happy to talk about things.
This is super important. We don't bite, we promise.
There are people out there who just can't stomach losing. That's fine, but that's not this genre.
I mean, there are people who can't stomach losing, and there are people who don't want to learn how to win. Some people will hate fighting games and freaking love PlayerUnknown's Battlegrunds, losing over 99% of their matches, just because they already know how the mechanics of a shooter work. One thing I think is that if you don't love training mode, you're not going to have as much fun as someone who does and has the same amount of online love as you. Training mode is your friend.
Just keep in mind that we have all been in that exact same spot, and no matter how good you get, you will still lose (and hopefully learn something from it). Stick it out though. It is very rewarding.
Amen, brother. I'm still hot garbage at Marvel 3, and I'm decent enough at Melee and Smash4. It took me two years before I was ok with my performance at locals playing Smash. Fighting games are the most rewarding when you knuckle down and strive to learn. But remember, it's a game. Why you heff to be mad?

Cera Cyannis

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
May 19, 2017
I'm excited for this beta, was sad to see Fighting is Magic go after the hard work that was put into it. TFH looks amazing so far, and I am happy I get the chance to help out.

riverhippo

Arizona's #1 hippo
Backers' Beta Tester
Apr 19, 2017
Dallas, Texas
Other games I've played betas on in steam, the keys are sent prior and the servers just launch when beta begins. Was afraid maybe my e-mail was lost somewhere.

Rayem

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 20, 2017
I am completely off my rocker at this news!

Skillfulist

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Apr 18, 2017
I will be working the 25th but I will just let the game install while at work.

SmokeRulz

Where there is smoke, there is fire!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I'll be working on the 25th so I'll likely try it out when I get home. Will also have to look up how to get a 360 controller working on PC, I bet.

Tox

Ms. Fortune is best pone
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
NSW, Australia
steamcommunity.com
I think there is a disc for it or the controller comes with an adaptor, or something --I forget. There might be some half decent downloadable software to connect it wirelessly. I should probably let someone who knows what they are talking about field this one though :p

Rocketknightgeek

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
You need a wireless adapter (dongle) to get a 360 controller going on PC. They will frequently come with controllers in special bundles but otherwise it's hard to get one. Keep in mind that a charge and play kit will only charge the controller if you connect it to the PC as it still uses wireless.

The exception to this is wired controllers like most arcade sticks and fightpads which will quite happily work with a PC Windows 7 and down will require a driver for them but otherwise it's fine.

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
A wired 360 controller (Games for Windows controller) will naturally work. But yeah, a wireless 360 controller requires a special dongle.

The wireless XB1 controllers WILL work with Windows at least, Windows 10, not sure about 7). Bluetooth for wireless, or if you go wired I think you'll need their special cable (comes with the play and charge kit. Apparently you don't actually need the battery though).

18/NINE-TEEN

♫ ♪ Just Get On With It & Kill Me ♩ ♬
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I was lucky enough to get a wireless XBox 360 controller that came with an adater for PC and batteires when it was on sale at Amazon.co.uk.
You could check EBay and some other website or some shops that either sale the wireless XBox 360 controller with the PC adapter for the PC or just buy the adpter separately.
I would of just bought the PC adapter for my XBox 360 controller if I didn't do my reseach and found out I could get a brand new controller with the PC adapter and batteries for a few extra £.

Don't know when I will get a proper chance to play the TFH beta. I haven't played Darkstalkers & Skullgirls for a long minute.

Reactions: sokolgs

Ponyactive

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
so... when does it come out... i mean is there any point in waiting 6 hours from now?

Ponyactive

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Considering 6 hours from now it's still May 24 PT?
oh... sorry, so 15.5h is more correct then.. since i live in the future, and its already May 25 here....

oh... sorry, so 15.5h is more correct then.. since i live in the future, and its already May 25 here....
wait.. no i goofed again... don't bother with me, ill wait... sorry...

Last edited by a moderator:

Mane6Dev

The Powers that Be
Mane6 Developer
Jan 25, 2016
The Hold
mane6.com
We do not have a fixed launch time, as part of the process depends on steam's key approval/distribution system and other external factors. It's likelier that it will be later in the day (PT) than it'll be early. Our office hours also take a play in it, given we're spread all over the globe and timezones are a thing that exists. We're probably gonna be coming in early to work and doing overtime, but still, would say not to expect anything before midday PT at the absolute earliest (and it's still more likely it'll be later than that), unless extraordinary circumstances happen.

Ponyactive

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
We do not have a fixed launch time, as part of the process depends on steam's key approval/distribution system and other external factors. It's likelier that it will be later in the day (PT) than it'll be early. Our office hours also take a play in it, given we're spread all over the globe and timezones are a thing that exists. We're probably gonna be coming in early to work and doing overtime, but still, would say not to expect anything before midday PT at the absolute earliest (and it's still more likely it'll be later than that), unless extraordinary circumstances happen.
thank you, looks like im getting som sleep tonight then...

Randomness_yo

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Apr 24, 2017
Alrighty then. I'll be getting off work by the time the beta goes up. Been looking forward to this all week.

qspec

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Thanks for the open communication. I always feel bad for those guys that take the day off of work/school only to be hit with 303 errors or some such thing.

ATV

Settle it in Smash!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Been lurking and following this project since its early days as the equine version. Been there through the crowdfund for the Z-Engine, the charity drive for a spot at EVO, the countless months of silence and delays... it's still sinking in that this game is so near completion, and that we're actually about to be able to officially play it.

It's been a long ride, but we're cheering you on from our respective corners of the internet. Go Mane6!

BigApplePie

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Apr 5, 2016
I am so excited for this. And for all you mac users, don't fret, you can all install Windows via an application called Bootcamp. It's a software that comes with your apple computer. I recently had it set up thanks from the help of a friend, so now I'll be able to play TFH with all y'all!

Reactions: Tox and Firekirby
Status
Not open for further replies.