The TFH Alternate Universe Thread

RustleRustle

Sunbreaker Titan, Fireteam "Ad Mare Cognitum III"
Mar 31, 2016
European Dead Zone, Earth
Despite having little solid world-building outside of the Fightin' Six and their homelands in the Book of Lore, I have decided to make an AU thread. Why? Because I'm impatient, that's why.

Self-deprecation aside, if you've got an idea for an AU of our favorite ungulates' home, post it here!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[This AU takes place in a world where the Longma are the only sapient species on Foenum]

"Long ago, Huoshan was the capital of our land. A gleaming jewel atop a fiery volcano, where Honored Mother and Honored Father created our people. Now... it is a hollow, wretched husk of its former self.

Years ago, rapid industrialization began to follow wherever we walked. We built, and mined, and drilled into our world. It was too much, too quickly. Advances in technology were even faster, but the demand was too great.

Massive cities were built, some on top of each other, to house the workers. Conglomerates monopolized the cities, owned everything from the largest space elevator, to the smallest quantum microprocessor.

Our world is scarred. Where there were forests, now lay deserts sprinkled with the sun-bleached husks of factories and machinery; creatures, warped and mutated from the chemicals, call these places their home. Where there isn't sand and rock, there's metal and concrete. The home of greed and avarice and crime.

This is Foenum. Save us."

Reactions: V.A.a.M.P.P

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Ohh I like AUs
Here's one, that might have sister stories
It has been thousands of years. The Cathastrophe changed all our lives. Foenum has become nothing more than an old tale. A legend.

A planet of lush grass, wide oceans tall hills and deep valleys!
And old friends.
Horses with horns. Flying fire breathing lizards. Small meek balls of fluff.
We have been separated.
We gained a world, a place perfect for our kind, but we lost too much.

But not any more.
We fought for it. Innovated. Worked sweat, tears and fluff. And after so long, we've done it.

The test were succesful. The stars are in our grasp. The ship is ready to set sail. Finally we can reunite with our friends.

Whether they like it or not.
The silly idea actually came to me while playing Stellaris. You can make an empire wich is xenophobe (loves aliens) and militaristic and the first time I noticed this, the sentence in italics was the first thing popping into my mind. Might come up with the other races, dunno about it. Could make a cool story though, 7 nations from the same place, wying for supremacy.

Reactions: RustleRustle

RustleRustle

Mar 31, 2016
Ohh I like AUs
Here's one, that might have sister stories
It has been thousands of years. The Cathastrophe changed all our lives. Foenum has become nothing more than an old tale. A legend.

A planet of lush grass, wide oceans tall hills and deep valleys!
And old friends.
Horses with horns. Flying fire breathing lizards. Small meek balls of fluff.
We have been separated.
We gained a world, a place perfect for our kind, but we lost too much.

But not any more.
We fought for it. Innovated. Worked sweat, tears and fluff. And after so long, we've done it.

The test were succesful. The stars are in our grasp. The ship is ready to set sail. Finally we can reunite with our friends.

Whether they like it or not.
The silly idea actually came to me while playing Stellaris. You can make an empire wich is xenophobe (loves aliens) and militaristic and the first time I noticed this, the sentence in italics was the first thing popping into my mind. Might come up with the other races, dunno about it. Could make a cool story though, 7 nations from the same place, wying for supremacy.
'Pacas as alien invaders? That's somehow more terrifying than a dystopian cyberpunk Longma-verse.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
I don't think hugging is going to be easy. The Longma have tech equivalent to Total Recall or Titanfall.
Unless the Paca have HugMecha.
No one said about hugging the Longma, the Paca will hug THE WORLD!!! back to life, so their friends can live happily ever after*

*terms and condition apply. World will only recover a small portion called a garden, where entry will be extremely prohibitive. Murders may become commonplace in the hopes of acquiring a ticket. Ticket can be redeemed by hugging your local alpaca overlord representative.

By the by these paca have FTL travel. Puny microchip based technology have no chance against their collective floof.

RustleRustle

Mar 31, 2016
No one said about hugging the Longma, the Paca will hug THE WORLD!!! back to life, so their friends can live happily ever after*

*terms and condition apply. World will only recover a small portion called a garden, where entry will be extremely prohibitive. Murders may become commonplace in the hopes of acquiring a ticket. Ticket can be redeemed by hugging your local alpaca overlord representative.

By the by these paca have FTL travel. Puny microchip based technology have no chance against their collective floof.
Quantum microchips; microchips that function based on the principles of quantum superposition and/or entanglement.

Anyways, how's about a universe inspired by Bloodborne?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Our world is covered by forest and fog.

Low hanging clouds drape across mountains and valleys, like a mother's embrace.

Monsters dwell in these places. We fling up battlewalls and thousand-folded shields in the name of our home. What we ungulates call Foenum.

I am Oleander, Dark Mage of the Order. I will protect my friends, and see the creatures that writhe and claw at our homes destroyed."

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
That would be interesting. From whose point of view would we see it? The predators would just get an all-you-can-eat buffet spawning for them, or will we see locked up herbivore sheanigans?

Stridershy

The King Of Goat Style
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
The Place Where Goats Are
The cast of Them's Fighting Herds all replaced with professional wrestlers.

The Role of Tianhuo is played by Asuka
The Role of Arizona is played by Stan Hansen
The Role of Pom is played by Bray Wyatt
The Role of Paprika is played by Jervis Cottonbelly
The Role of Velvet is played by Ric Flair
And the role of Oleander is played by Ole Anderson.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup

Them's fightin' men

RustleRustle

Mar 31, 2016

I'm guessing Goat would be JOHN CENA!

Reactions: OCisbestungulate

Rich Jammer

By the Numbers Accountant
Backers' Beta Tester

Ohhh, I wanted Undertaker as Oleander and Kane as Fred.

0Zero100

Alpaka Representative/Robot Family Bear
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
A universe where the cast are renamed
Silk, Minneapolis, Cumin, Mop, Pine and... uhhh... ouhnaiT!

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
pft- clearly all ungulates, including lawyer friendly equines, are best in the post apocalypse!

Actually, I heard this was a thing, so does anyone know where this is?
For the moment we would need more lore to even start post-apocaliptifying it. I'd wait until release (or beta if it includes story mode) to actually kill everyone.

Mighty Alicorn Hunter

Predator Representative of the Darkside
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The Council
For the moment we would need more lore to even start post-apocaliptifying it. I'd wait until release (or beta if it includes story mode) to actually kill everyone.
That is entirely true. Plus, I'm not sure how well fallout meshes with Foenum, there's not a lot of technology.

BypenThynDragon

I for one welcom our new ruler Smugdeer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I really wasn't being serous when I posted that lol, I knew we needed more lore but I bet someone will write a fan fiction on it anyways.

How about no?
Why not we need to make things as violent as possible, quick someone make a Fallout Foenum like Project Horizons.

0Zero100

Alpaka Representative/Robot Family Bear
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Bryan, Texas
Wouldn't Fallout Foenum just be 'what if the predators hadn't been sealed in the hold'?

Anyways, my idea, Foenum... crossed with........................
Zootopia.

super hurricane

Feb 13, 2016
In a world where the 3-D Printer has successfully made a baked meat out of insect protein and tofu cows roam freely with unicorn magic, the predators (of which most have been freed) have stayed content with a lazy, relaxed lifestyle not hunting for actual prey. Mostly because they have been building massive steel walls around their fortresses, arming themselves to the fangs and setting up deadly traps along their borders. In a way, the Hunters and Gatherer Predator factions have been at odds with a growing problem with the Cattlekind, who have been stricken with a Mad Cow virus that causes sheer insanity, numbness to pain and enough raw power to smash through a mountain awhile butchering predators and prey alike. Thankfully only cattle are affected by it, but the predators still feel pressured by their neighbors to open their borders to the other nations, who are doing everything they can to keep the super-enhanced, strengthened bovine at bay.

Mighty Alicorn Hunter

Predator Representative of the Darkside
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The Council
Wouldn't Fallout Foenum just be 'what if the predators hadn't been sealed in the hold'?

Anyways, my idea, Foenum... crossed with........................
Zootopia.
Wouldn't that just be zootopia where they banished the predators rather than joined together in harmony? Which, when you think about it, would just be high tech foenum.

Poppun

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Jun 9, 2016
How about one where instead of having a bunch of different Ungulates, they're all Horses? (Sorry, I had to)

Now that that's out of the way, what about a scenario where the characters are shuffled? Or rather we have the same set of personalities but with the background of another character.

For example, Velvet is a member of the Alpake clan who dislikes the spartan lifestyle of her herd and runs away to the capitol where she's dragged into the competition to become champion, she also makes unusually stylish and intricate knitwear using her own wool.

Pom is Unicorn and has always followed the order of the horn's rules and decisions, even when she didn't necessarily agree with them, until the order decides that they will ignore the call for a champion and for the first time she's disagreed strongly enough to act against their wishes.

Arizona is an unusually outspoken Lamb and often considered to be more like a Sheepdog than a Sheep who often goes off exploring on her own. When the herd learns of the predators' return and attempts to decide on a course of action she experiences sheep politics (and their ineffientcies) for the first time eventually being elected in a similar way to Pom when she loses patience and shouts for everyone to "Stop bleating in circles and just decide on something already!". Her taking an interest in politics upon her return would be a mixed bag, on the one hoof sheep society would be far more productive than it's ever been, on the other hoof it would likely result in many sheep being hospitalised by the strain of trying to form an opinion for the first time.

Oleander is a Reindeer and one of the the most skilled magic users in the tundra, however she had little interest in the artistry of it until she mastered and grew bored of the magic her peers learnt and began to experiment with atmospheric manipulation spells or storm magic. Fred is the leader of a group of deviant ice sprites who share Oleander's love of the more wild storm magic.

Paprika is a Longma and a bit of a difficult one to place; she's a lover not a fighter, but her love is more dangerous than most Longma's fighting, which would normally be a good thing for a militarised society, except there normally aren't any actual conflicts, it's more about ensuring everyone learns the disciplines and values of Longma society....Mostly they just shuffle her around from job to job in an effort to keep her enthusiasm from devistating any one group for too long and hopefully find a place she can fit in. When the Longmas heard of the predator's return they knew exactly who to send: Paprika's enthusiasm is put to good use, she gets to "make friends" and help defend Foenum, and Longma society gets a few months of peace.

Tianhuo is one of the best sheriffs in all the plains and everyone agrees that she's the perfect choice for champion as she already dedicates herself to protecting Foenum on a daily basis, while Tianhuo sees her efforts as atonement for the trouble maker she used to be.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
How about one where instead of having a bunch of different Ungulates, they're all Horses? (Sorry, I had to)

Now that that's out of the way, what about a scenario where the characters are shuffled? Or rather we have the same set of personalities but with the background of another character.

For example, Velvet is a member of the Alpake clan who dislikes the spartan lifestyle of her herd and runs away to the capitol where she's dragged into the competition to become champion, she also makes unusually stylish and intricate knitwear using her own wool.

Pom is Unicorn and has always followed the order of the horn's rules and decisions, even when she didn't necessarily agree with them, until the order decides that they will ignore the call for a champion and for the first time she's disagreed strongly enough to act against their wishes.

Arizona is an unusually outspoken Lamb and often considered to be more like a Sheepdog than a Sheep who often goes off exploring on her own. When the herd learns of the predators' return and attempts to decide on a course of action she experiences sheep politics (and their ineffientcies) for the first time eventually being elected in a similar way to Pom when she loses patience and shouts for everyone to "Stop bleating in circles and just decide on something already!". Her taking an interest in politics upon her return would be a mixed bag, on the one hoof sheep society would be far more productive than it's ever been, on the other hoof it would likely result in many sheep being hospitalised by the strain of trying to form an opinion for the first time.

Oleander is a Reindeer and one of the the most skilled magic users in the tundra, however she had little interest in the artistry of it until she mastered and grew bored of the magic her peers learnt and began to experiment with atmospheric manipulation spells or storm magic. Fred is the leader of a group of deviant ice sprites who share Oleander's love of the more wild storm magic.

Paprika is a Longma and a bit of a difficult one to place; she's a lover not a fighter, but her love is more dangerous than most Longma's fighting, which would normally be a good thing for a militarised society, except there normally aren't any actual conflicts, it's more about ensuring everyone learns the disciplines and values of Longma society....Mostly they just shuffle her around from job to job in an effort to keep her enthusiasm from devistating any one group for too long and hopefully find a place she can fit in. When the Longmas heard of the predator's return they knew exactly who to send: Paprika's enthusiasm is put to good use, she gets to "make friends" and help defend Foenum, and Longma society gets a few months of peace.

Tianhuo is one of the best sheriffs in all the plains and everyone agrees that she's the perfect choice for champion as she already dedicates herself to protecting Foenum on a daily basis, while Tianhuo sees her efforts as atonement for the trouble maker she used to be.
I rather like your reinterpretations here. Though, I do have to ask, what about Fred?

Actually, I heard this was a thing, so does anyone know where this is?
In your heart...

Feb 22, 2016
Obligatory mirror-verse.

The carnivores were a peaceful sort; they were civilized and kept to themselves. They subsisted on things like fish, rabbits, and in some cases berries and fruit. They never attacked another sapient being.

But their peace meant nothing to the ungulates, who perceived them as nothing more than monsters to be hunted down and slaughtered. They became known as the "Hunters". The carnivores lived in fear of these Hunters: mothers would warn their cubs about venturing into the forest and the strongest of the carnivores would be sent out to collect food, but not all of them would return.

Then one day, a carnivore decided that he finally had enough. This carnivore was known as the Devourer, so named because he could seemingly eat anything, from bloat fish to the bark on a tree. The Devourer managed to successfully seal the Hunters into the Hold, guaranteeing that the carnivores could finally live in peace.

But nothing lasted forever. Ghosts of the Hunters began manifesting themselves, threatening the carnivores of their return, lead by one they only referred to as the Prophet. When news of their inevitable return spread throughout the land, the various carnivore races would choose their own champion to face the Hunters and their Prophet, and prevent them from escaping the Hold.

Poppun

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Jun 9, 2016
I rather like your reinterpretations here. Though, I do have to ask, what about Fred?
Thank you (^.^) and I thought Fred could be one of Oleander's Ice Sprites (The only one that can speak Reindeer), either the only one or the leader of a group of Ice Sprites that enjoy watching her storms. Though now that I've had more time to think about it, he could be her mentor for learning it or a spirit of the tundra that's taken a shine to her. Now I'm not sure which I should go with, hmm.

Having said that I had thought of alternate names for the characters based mixing naming conventions:

Sheep Arizona: Brush (from brush cut, I was this close to going with blunt as a play on the blunt cut hairstyle and being overly honest), Alpaca Velvet: Star Anise (I wanted a showier name, another possibility is Lavender or Jasmine, which are both used in cooking and as decoration), Reindeer Oleander: Witch Hazel (It's a flower that can bloom in the winter)

Longma Paprika: Huahuo (Meaning "Firework", or "flower fire" if you want a literal translation, it also has the bonus of the end syllable of both parts collectively sounding a bit like "Uh-Oh"), Unicorn Pom: Lotus (I'm not sure about this one, I also like something related to pommegranate blossom), Cow Tianhuo: Sheriff Dakota (In terms of state names this one sounded best, but perhaps I should try going outside of that and calling her Sheriff Rapidfire or something like that)

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
You know the song and dance. Heroes saving our world from predators. Prophet or a team of different races, the story has countless variations.
The literature guys say it's about working together, but noone will take a child's tale seriously.

There are just too many of us now to living in one place.

Our fields are done for. The cows trampled their own to uselessness. The longma are hunting anyone unlucky enough. Those stuck ups are duking it out with their magic and pets.
We only have height as a shield. Go up, find a plateau to sustain our clan for a while, then move away.

And remember: Stay clear of open fields. Watch the skies. And if you spot a sheep, for goodness sake, run!

RustleRustle

Mar 31, 2016
I'm bringing it back, nerds.
"Let's recap a bit, shall we?

This was supposed to be a new start. An old world made anew, really. It was supposed to be a safe place for your kind. Uh, well,
kinds.

Of course, I could imagine your initial shock at meeting the Prophet, especially so long after your journey began. But... you did it! You brought the Key here, and you destroyed that awful Gateway. And...

Well, things began to go wrong, soon after you arrived.

The Prophet began to hear voices, you see. Calling to her...."

"Only I can end them once and for all..."

"Of course, it wasn't her fault, really; She hadn't really known what was sealed away in that key.

Anyways, the key thing here - that is, the thing that is key - is that the Prophet fiddled around with the key's binding stone, which was what made the bloody thing work, and accidentally released an even bigger threat. Someone that even I didn't know was in there.

The Destroyer. The one and only, original vanguard of the Night.

Now, I will be absolutely truthful to you six. This isn't some vague OoooOOh kind of evil. We're talking about the Noctis, shambling death bent on the destruction of everything living that has ever existed. And now they're here. In our perfect world.

I'm not going to sugarcoat things: it's an absolute bloody nightmare."

Basically, the Prophet messed around with a part of the key to the Hold, which caused an interdimensional Eldritch Abomination and an army of monsters to pour through a portal and destroy literally everything to ever exist. And it's up to the Fighting Six to stop them.

We're doomed.