The Stomping Grounds (SoCal bi-weekly)

Some Person

Pretty Pony Princess
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA

TFH Bi-weekly locals "The Stomping Grounds" in SoCal! (basic details here, thorough details below)
Who: Anyone that's looking for offline games.
What: Offline casual and tournament play for TFH
Where: Game Realms, 137 N Victory Blvd, Burbank, CA 91502
When: Starting March 9th, from 9:00pm until 2am, and every other week after that
Why: To get people in this community to meet up and integrated with the larger FGC

Ever since this game has become a reality, I've been wanting to support it however I could. Now that the time is almost upon us, I feel that getting the game out there is the best way to keep things moving. By having these events, we can all start to get to know each other much better, and maybe get others to start making their own scenes as well. This isn't just meant to be a super serious competition, by the way. Anyone who enjoys the game and wants to play with others is more than welcome to attend.

For these events, the plan is to start off with setups in order to begin casual play and a tournament (entrants permitting). Tournaments will be traditional double elimination style, and will keep going until only one person remains. The first tournament for this will be free entry, after that, the tournament will have a $5 entry fee for a collective prize pot. There is still a venue fee of $5 which goes directly to the store, otherwise the place wouldn't be able to host us, and that would make everyone sad. If you wish to just spectate, that's $2 at the door.

Game Realms is a video-game store in Burbank that sells games and accessories old and new, from the NES to the PS4, it has a wide range of products to choose from. When they aren't selling video games, they're hosting locals for other games. The Fridays we'll be playing on also host the weekly event "Salty" which runs Skullgirls, Guilty Gear XX Accent Core +R, and Vampire Savior, so if you're interested in any of those games, feel free to enter that as well! Those games all normally are free to enter, so no need to worry about paying more money for more games. Should we become too large for the venue, we'll likely need to figure a new day of the week to host these, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. Around the venue is a burger shop called Better Fresh Burger, a 24 hour Subway, and a 7-11, all within walking distance!

While the venue is willing to host us, we'll need to bring in some supplies of our own in order to make this work.
- laptops/computer rigs that can handle TFH at a consistent 60fps.
- monitors for the computers (unless the laptops have good enough screens to use.
- chairs (this is pretty high priority, tbh)
- Power Supply Splitters (or at least power strips, just as long as we can get power to all of the setups)

If anyone's able to bring these to the venue, let me know so I can cross it off the list and we don't have twenty people bringing chairs.

Also worth mentioning that people should please exercise common sense while at the venue. Joking around with others is fine, but being obnoxious, arrogant, or a jerk (or all three) will not get you points with anyone and will result in you being kicked out of the venue. Oh, and make sure you don't smell bad, or no one there's going to like you too much.

I think that's about all the information necessary for now. If I think of anything else, I'll be sure to do so. No idea about streaming anything, at the moment, so that's up in the air for now.

If you're interested in showing up, please let me know!

Hope to see you there!

Last edited:

Some Person

Pretty Pony Princess
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
Due to timing and schedule conflicts, we will move the first tournament to March 9th. The venue is closing early on the 2nd, so this way we get more time in the venue, and more time for casuals after the tournament is over.

I've also got someone willing to stream the tournaments, so that's all the better!

Also going to suggest again that if people going can bring chairs, that will help immensely.

IcyWind

kevin robinson from school
Feb 23, 2018
I've got like, 2 folding chairs I can bring, and a decent monitor. If someone can bring a setup to match my monitor I'll bring it

Some Person

Pretty Pony Princess
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
More info that I'm realizing as the time draws closer:

For those who just wish to spectate, that will be $2 at the door.

If anyone wishes to commentate during the stream, let me know so we can have that organized ahead of time!

Some Person

Pretty Pony Princess
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
Been putting a bit more thought into this first local, and I'm gonna amp it up a bit. I'm gonna drop $50 to be split among top 3 for this first local only. So 1st will get $30, 2nd will get $15, and 3rd will get $5.

Best of luck to everyone!

Some Person

Pretty Pony Princess
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
One (hopefully) final note that slipped my mind until now:

Please bring your own controller to this event. While the game is a PC fighting game, playing on keyboard might be difficult unless you can find a way to make it work in an offline setting. Other people might be able to help out at the venue if this puts anyone in a tight spot.

Reactions: Nightshade

Some Person

Pretty Pony Princess
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
Okay, it's a day until the event now. I'd like to ask those who are planning on showing up to try arriving a bit before 9pm if you want to help set things up, play casuals, etc. Things might not start at 9pm exactly, but hopefully the tournament runs smoothly enough that we aren't stuck there with no time for casuals afterwards.

Also the sooner people can arrive, the better. I want to get people's controllers registered on the setups so everyone can just plug-in and go at a moment's notice.

Thanks again to those who plan on showing ip, and I look forward to seeing everyone there! I'll be wearing a shirt that says "Some Person" on the back so I don't get confused for anyone else.

Some Person

Pretty Pony Princess
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
Many thanks to everyone who showed up to the first Stomping Grounds! Had some technical issues here and there, but it was about as I expected for a first-time event.

Standings will be placed below:

1st - Patthecat :oleander:
2nd - NappaPride :Paprika:
3rd - Numakie :oleander:
4th - Red Witch :oleander:
5th - p1an3tz :Tianhuo:
- Zip :Tianhuo:
7th - Maguma :arizona:
- Rikers :Velvet:
9th - KittyDollWithGlasses
- eM | Icy Wind
- Midiman
- mstiescott
13th - DinosaurDamage
- Shodan
- Weatherbee
- POS Industries
17th - Sunset Radiance

Bracket: The Stomping Grounds #1 ($100 prize pool)

Our next event will take place on March 23rd, and will have a $5 tourney fee for a prize pool in the end. We hope to see you there!

Numakie

Crowdfund Meido
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Hello everyone. I was the one who streamed Pools & Top 8 (top 4 was on the Game Realms stream.) Here's the links for the archives:

Pools & Top 8
Twitch:
YT:

Top 4 on the Game Realms twitch channel:

I'll keep track when Game Realms posts it on their YT channel.

Mag Game Realms

Owner of Game Realms video game store
Mar 10, 2018
Los Angeles
www.game-realms.com
Hello everyone. My name is Maggie, and I am one of the owners of a video game store called Game Realms, located in Burbank California. We are the venue hosting the Bi Weekly Fridays The Stomping Grounds TFH tournaments.

The next Stomping Grounds tournament is on March 23rd Friday. Please feel free to share the tweet below.

I have also just uploaded the Stomping Grounds TFH Top 4 at Game Realms stream video on the Game Realms Youtube channel :

Please feel free to visit Game Realms to buy and sell video games from retro to current, and play in our gaming room along with joining our various events like tournaments and retro game swap meets!

Game Realms
137 N Victory Blvd
Burbank CA 91502
818-841-1545

Game Realms | Los Angeles

Redness

The Class Pet
Oct 17, 2016
Fœnum
www.youtube.com
Hello everyone. My name is Maggie, and I am one of the owners of a video game store called Game Realms, located in Burbank California. We are the venue hosting the Bi Weekly Fridays The Stomping Grounds TFH tournaments.

The next Stomping Grounds tournament is on March 23rd Friday. Please feel free to share the tweet below.

I have also just uploaded the Stomping Grounds TFH Top 4 at Game Realms stream video on the Game Realms Youtube channel :

Please feel free to visit Game Realms to buy and sell video games from retro to current, and play in our gaming room along with joining our various events like tournaments and retro game swap meets!

Game Realms
137 N Victory Blvd
Burbank CA 91502
818-841-1545

Game Realms | Los Angeles
This is awesome! :D

Reactions: Mag Game Realms

Latency

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
May 26, 2017
SoCal
Is there on-site reg for this? I wanna come down, but I really won't know if I can make it til ~5pm Friday.

Some Person

Pretty Pony Princess
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
Here's a reminder for those who are attending tomorrow. If you plan on bringing a laptop, please ensure it is updated and runs comfortably at 60fps.

The tournament money will be taken at the front desk, and it's cash only, so please be sure to bring the $5 needed.

If you haven't already, please sign up at the smash.gg page for the event, as it makes seeeing and bracket-making easier.

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to those attending tomorrow!

Some Person

Pretty Pony Princess
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
Thanks again to everyone who showed up for another successful local! Things ran smoother this time around, and hopefully we can keep things going from here!

One important note, though. There was a matter of us having 13 entrants for tournament, but only 12 were listed as having paid their tournament entry. I put up another $5 to make up the difference so we could continue the tournament, and steps will be taken to ensure this doesn't happen again. While I sincerely hope it was just a mistake on one end or another, please make sure you pay both the venue fee and tournament fee at the door. I'd like this to just be a one-time only incident.

With that said and done, here are the results:

1st. Patthecat :oleander:
2nd. RK | Some Person:arizona:
3rd. Abyss | NappaPride:Paprika:
4th. Bang:Paprika:
5th. Pau:oleander:
Numakie:oleander:
7th. p1an3tz:Tianhuo:
Ajin:Velvet:
9th. KittyDollWithGlasses
JMZ
Midiman
Latency
13th. Rikers

Bracket: The Stomping Grounds #2

Mag Game Realms

Owner of Game Realms video game store
Mar 10, 2018
Los Angeles
www.game-realms.com
Hey everyone! The next Stomping Grounds TFH Tournament is on April 6th, Friday at 9 PM PST at Game Realms in Burbank California!

The Livestream video for the March 23rd Stomping Grounds TFH Tournament is now on Youtube on Numakie's channel!

For the Full Playlist of the Stomping Grounds Livestream archive on Youtube, use this playlist on the Game Realms Youtube Channel!

Them's Fighting Herd's Tournament at Game Realms Stream playlist - Numakie Channel - YouTube

Last edited:

KyubiKirby

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
May 8, 2017
Every Friday (give or take) I go out to an event here in San Diego called TTF or Tank Top Fridays, and I setup in the back with my laptop running TFH. free entry, you only pay for drinks or the tourneys. Event page linked below

facebook.com/events/186777825274618/

Some Person

Pretty Pony Princess
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
Thanks again to everyone who showed up for another successful local! Next one will be on April 20th.

Here are the results:
1st. Patthecat :oleander:
2nd. Pau :oleander:
3rd. Bang :Paprika:
4th. Numakie :oleander:
5th. Some Person :arizona:
p1an3tz :Tianhuo:
7th. Ajin :Velvet:
Sunset Radiance :Pom:
9th. Latency
Rikers
Midiman
Red Witch

Bracket: The Stomping Grounds #3

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

Some Person

Pretty Pony Princess
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Santa Clarita, CA
For those who didn't see the stream, our next Stomping Grounds will take place on May 11th, due to the group starting up Saturday events at Super Arcade.

If anyone wishes to be the TO for the Super Arcade events (along with making a new event name for these tournaments if we have them), let me know. I normally work on Saturdays and my times available are unpredictable, so it would be best if someone else were to manage those events.

And now this week's results:
1. Bang :Paprika:
2. Pau :oleander:
3. Nappa Pride :Pom:/:Paprika:
4. P1an3tz:Tianhuo:
5. Some Person :arizona:
Red Witch :oleander:
7. Zip :Tianhuo:
Numakie :oleander:
9. Midiman
Latency
Binkles