The Mystery of The High Plains

Stunthead

Springbok when
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
Hello and welcome to "Stunthead takes the Lore of an unreleased game way too seriously." But that's what this forum is for, isn't it? Mane6 gave us a frog, so let's get to dissecting.

So, in Paprika's Book of Lore entry, Adobo's son says the following:
“The leaders in the city are holding a competition in the capitol. They believe the champion should be from their nation. And father, they consider the High Plains as part of that nation.”

Does this mean that The High Plains is not a nation, but rather a part of a nation? It seems like The Alpake are indigenous to The High Plains, so who lives in the rest of the nation? Is it just "The Plains?" According to the Prologue of the Book of Lore, the Bison live in The Plains. Does this mean Paprika was fighting against a bunch of Bison for the right to be the chosen champion? Does this mean we won't ever have a playable Bison character because Paprika beat them all?

Analyze below. Assuming I didn't already do all the Analyzing for you.

Zocarik

I am a writer who can also do math
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Hello and welcome to "Stunthead takes the Lore of an unreleased game way too seriously." But that's what this forum is for, isn't it? Mane6 gave us a frog, so let's get to dissecting.

So, in Paprika's Book of Lore entry, Adobo's son says the following:
“The leaders in the city are holding a competition in the capitol. They believe the champion should be from their nation. And father, they consider the High Plains as part of that nation.”

Does this mean that The High Plains is not a nation, but rather a part of a nation? It seems like The Alpake are indigenous to The High Plains, so who lives in the rest of the nation? Is it just "The Plains?" According to the Prologue of the Book of Lore, the Bison live in The Plains. Does this mean Paprika was fighting against a bunch of Bison for the right to be the chosen champion? Does this mean we won't ever have a playable Bison character because Paprika beat them all?
Perhaps each of the regions that we have seen is a nation, but smaller and less prosperous than the central Fœnum civilization. The lesser nations pay the larger one tribute in the form of sending citizens for its army and receive political guidance, magic, and protection in exchange.

The Longma and Unicorns would be the exceptions, with the Longma being partners, not lesser, and the Unicorns being an isolated community.

Stunthead

Springbok when
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
I guess, but the lore seemed to point at the only real semblance of an integrated civilization being "The Elders", and even they hadn't conferred for generations. Though it's an interesting thought. Perhaps somewhere in Fœnum there's a nation that's filled with all sorts of different species who live together in harmony, and THAT'S the one that's lesser. I wonder what the attitudes of the other nations would be to such a place. Disgust? Confussion? Disregard?

It occurs to me that we don't really know how, for lack of a better term, Specist the nations are. The sheep seem to get along with the horses, and whoever the "Leaders in the city" are, they're willing to give the Alpake Clan a chance to fight. Perhaps this world is not as divided as we thought.

Feanor

Proud Velveeta
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Earth
Idk, the wording is vague. I interpreted it that an alliance of all of the races we have seen so far together form a nation, like the states of the USA. The Elders being a group of - just that - elders from each race that meet together in times of crisis for important decisions. Though where this Capitol is would be very interesting to know.

Stunthead

Springbok when
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
Idk, the wording is vague. I interpreted it that an alliance of all of the races we have seen so far together form a nation, like the states of the USA. The Elders being a group of - just that - elders from each race that meet together in times of crisis for important decisions. Though where this Capitol is would be very interesting to know.
Fair point. Perhaps "Nation" can refer to both the nations of the different species but also the "Nation" of the Ungulates. That does beg the question of whether the other key seekers also have to go to the capitol to fight. (I'm sticking with my theory for now, but we'll see soon enough, I'm sure).

Also, I didn't mention this before because I don't think it counts as "Official Lore", but the IndieGoGo page said the Alpake dropped Paprika off at the capitol of High Plains. This doesn't seem like it makes a lot of sense compared to the official Lore, but I guess the capitol of the nation the High Plains is in would technically be the capitol that rules over the High Plains.

Feanor

Proud Velveeta
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Earth
Fair point. Perhaps "Nation" can refer to both the nations of the different species but also the "Nation" of the Ungulates. That does beg the question of whether the other key seekers also have to go to the capitol to fight. (I'm sticking with my theory for now, but we'll see soon enough, I'm sure).

Also, I didn't mention this before because I don't think it counts as "Official Lore", but the IndieGoGo page said the Alpake dropped Paprika off at the capitol of High Plains. This doesn't seem like it makes a lot of sense compared to the official Lore, but I guess the capitol of the nation the High Plains is in would technically be the capitol that rules over the High Plains.
Ahhh the wording. It strikes again. I wonder if this is a case of 'haven't got there yet' or Lauren's intentionally leaving it vague for future worldbuilding.