The Fightin' Fœnatics, V2 (Updated 5/3/17: HIATUS IS OVAH!)

What skill level of play would you best assign to yourself?

• Total voters

inthesto

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
This is a good thread. From the other introductory threads, it actually looks like a lot of TFH fans have little to no fighting game experience, which I find pretty surprising.

Hardware allowing, I intend on doing some educational streams and maybe even slapping together some tutorial videos. I don't play fighting games much anymore and wasn't that good even in my prime, but I think I have a lot of accumulated knowledge to spread around.

Reactions: Lanxide

Lanxide

I wish I was cool
Feb 3, 2016
Melbourne Fl
I'm lovin this idea of yours and I do need to learn more about fighting games besides what I've seen off combo videos but I'm unable to participate due to work hours mostly

Rich Jammer

By the Numbers Accountant
Backers' Beta Tester
By all means. As mentioned, tons of material is out there already, but I'm of the opinion it'll take a bit more of a personal touch to get the ball rolling for a number of people here. Join up on the Skype chat or give me some deets here so we can start synching up people's schedules and make progress happen.
Fridays are not a requirement for participation in the slightest. I'm sure we can figure out a way to work around your hours. I'll be working around mine.
Friday 8 PM EST. That's like Saturday 5 AM for me.
I hope some people show up in the coming week so that me getting up early won't be a waste.

But I think I can be flexible too. But anyway, Songhacker you already know my schedule.

Patthecat

Oleander player~
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Southern California
I like the idea behind this but not so much a fan of the base game being used atm (I have Skullgirls on 360/PS3/PC and tried to like it, I really did, but figured after so much time that it wasn't a fighter I was motivated to really practice in.)

Now with that being said, SFV is releasing very soon and the amount of popularity that game is getting begs to believe that people in this forum will be buying it as well.

Being a 2D fighter it fits into the theme of TFH. So what I'm saying is, will the current platform fighter for this idea switch or involve SFV possibly?

Askerad

Fabulous French Froggie
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Lyon, France
tl;dr, but count me in.

i need to step up my game.

Would we need a vocal chat server? we could use Discord...

TheOneZeelOne

Don't be afraid of the dark
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Gadsden, AL
As an inexperienced-ish fighting game player who really wants to be good at TFH when it comes out, I'd love to do something like this... if... I had Skullgirls. That would be something of a roadblock. ^^'

I'll look into that, maybe get back to you...

DShou

Tianhuo is Best Longma
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
dshou.deviantart.com
Oh I'm liking this, while I probably don't have the time to participate most of the time (also I'm hella casual too) it'd be great to meet people from time to time to practice with.

I'm not one for random online stranger battles ;; stress everywhere

Rich Jammer

Backers' Beta Tester
As an inexperienced-ish fighting game player who really wants to be good at TFH when it comes out, I'd love to do something like this... if... I had Skullgirls. That would be something of a roadblock. ^^'

I'll look into that, maybe get back to you...
Keep checking steam or humblebundle.com for discounts. I managed to get Skullgirls for USD 3.00 on humblebundle.com. The Fighting Foenatics skype chat were the ones who actually alerted me to the discount.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
I would be interested in joining said groups, but I'm one who'd join more for the social bits rather then for training. That seems to go a bit against the theme of the group.

Patthecat

Oleander player~
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Southern California
I see what you mean there in the sense of SFVs combos wont resemble TFH combo system (which is very true.) Though on the price point, it's only $33 over at CDkeys.com right now so if anyone is interested in the game but not willing to shell out $60, head on over there!

Suddenly Spiders

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I'm already part of the whole skype group and all that. I'm just trying to get settled in a new place that has acceptable internet, or fixing the internet at my current place. Otherwise I love me some fight game.

NimbusArchon

Professional Lurker
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
I've been hoping for a community like this to pop up. I'm new to fighters and less than confident, so to have others to practice with would help me a lot. I'm down to join.

On SFV: I'm planning to play it anyway, so if the Fœnatics were to move there (or at least maintain a presence) I'd like that. Skullgirls has always been a bit intimidating, what with its ludicrous combos and character diversity. I don't think anyone would have to teach SFV, per se - it might be enough to have a community of beginners learning and improving together.

Rich Jammer

Backers' Beta Tester
If anyone is having second thoughts on joining The Fightin Foenatics let me just assure you that SongHacker is pretty dedicated to the group. He's given personal lessons to members including me.

I've just been around since a few weeks back and many of the members are very inviting and friendly.

TheOneZeelOne

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Gadsden, AL
Okay, I now have the game! I'll probably wanna practice on my own a bit before playing other people, but yeah go ahead and sign me up for this~

TheOneZeelOne

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Gadsden, AL
Pretty sure I should be available for this. As it's my literally my first day with it I doubt anyone'd even want me in a tournament though... :p

TheTrainingDummy

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
California
Oh boy, I might be available for this, but only barely. Classes end 10 minutes for me (5:50PST)before this starts. Takes me about 10 minutes to get home, so I might be a bit late.

Sly-Racoom

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
I would like to learn how to play fightings, unfortunately I'm only be available on Saturdays and Sundays.

LapinZinski

Fred is best pony
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
France
I too, would like to invest myself but, well I'm French so my availability are rather different from most of you sadly ;(

CosmicDashie

Dank may-mays
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Canadia
Hrrrrm, so the last bit was yesterday? dang

Im gonna try to make it more, my schedule seems to be sort of good for the timing ;-;

Hnikel

Eternal scrub
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Skullgirls was never really something that grabbed me, but since it is currently on sale on Steam (only 3 bucks!) I'll give it a go. I've been playing other fighting games for years, but not until around 5 years did I take them seriously, so I've usually played alone. I've developed bad habits because of that and need a proper thrashing to learn core fundamentals I tend to ignore (I swear I'm not helpless though! I'd like to think I'm an intermediate fighter in the games I'm most invested in). I'm free with my time quite often but I'm terrible at being reliable, so I'm not sure how well I'll fit in here.

TheOneZeelOne

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Gadsden, AL
I was very stubborn about blocking my first day of practicing with the game, I basically just wanted to learn everything else first, but I'm slowly starting to actually use it in fights, and I'm going further into the actual in-game tutorial.

Also I was strictly Valentine before, you may have noticed. But of course that's limiting. I dunno if I'll be into the actual tag thing anytime soon, but variety's good, so I wanna get a secondary and so far that looks to be Fukua.

Don't suppose you have any specific advice for these two characters?

Lanxide

I wish I was cool
Feb 3, 2016
Melbourne Fl
I've developed bad habits because of that and need a proper thrashing to learn core fundamentals I tend to ignore (I swear I'm not helpless though! I'd like to think I'm an intermediate fighter in the games I'm most invested in).
I'm exactly like that myself. I won't start adjusting after getting my flank handed to me after a few matches and I'm more experienced with the match up. I'm not familiar with Discord at all but I'll check in sometime around my days off.
Not sure if this question been asked but is Skull Girls the required game to practice with you guys? I have no interest in picking the game up but I do want to pick up BlazBlue though.

CosmicDashie

Dank may-mays
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Canadia
Skullgirls is the current focus game due to how beginner friendly input-windows are, how extensive the in-game tutorial system is, how much I personally already know about it, and how it no longer has any major character updates coming. With BlazBlue, getting newer players to purchase it prior to Central Fiction's release seems a bit unfair.

That said, there's a lot of interest in putting some work into BlazBlue, and it does help that, as a 1v1 3-button + Drive-button fighter, it bears substantial similarities to TFH. After about a month of work in Skullgirls, we can either go the democratic way and put it to a vote or some other decision method to determine what game (if any) comes next.

Besides, nothing stops members from playing other games on the side with each other, and should more skilled players of other games join in on the teaching side of things, we can just start running multiple games as focus games at once.
It seems that at this point, any practice with any fighter will at least transfer some basic skills over to tfh, which is a good thing. Practice makes perfect and all that

Karilyn

Buttonmashing Scrub
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
Atlanta, GA
One thing that won't be similar is that SFV uses still double quarter circle motions for its supers, and while that's not really a big deal, it's a frequent turn-off to beginners when compared to single quarter circle supers in other games (to include TFH).
Am I the only beginner around here who prefers double quarter circle motions? I think they are super easy to input, especially compared to things like dragon punch motions.

I honestly think 360s are easier than dragon punches. Zangief is my homeboy.

Dragon punches are one of the most common motions in fighting games, but are one of the hardest, if not the hardest. You know, I think I'd rather do a Delta motion than a Dragon Punch... just... :bark::bark::bark::bark: dragon punches. You'd think after 500 or so hours of playing fighting games I would've gotten used to putting the out consistently but nope, it's about a 50% chance at best. And basically every character that has a DP also has a QCF motion, so it's basically like "Hey about a 15% chance this QCF will come out as a DP. At this point I've basically given up and just select characters to try playing based on them not having DPs.

/salt

TBH, I think double quarter circle motions are basically the second easiest input period, after normal quarter circles, even easier than things like two-face-button grabs/dashes/whatever. I have no idea why every beginner besides me seems to have trouble with them. Playing Skullgirls, I can't help but think I would kill to be able to double-quarter-circle-punch my blockbusters, instead of quarter-circle-PP, that'd be so much easier for me to do in the middle of the frantically fast combos that Skullgirls has. But I'm weird like that.

(I think I'm going to get along with you Songhacker; it's nice to meet someone else who doesn't know how to shut their motor mouth)

TheOneZeelOne

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Gadsden, AL
I imagine most beginners haven't put over 500 hours into fighting games either so I suppose you're just unique like that... :p

Karilyn

Buttonmashing Scrub
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
Atlanta, GA
Pft. Okay fine I'm not a beginner, just a slow learner. Happy? :p

But naw, my first fighting game, Melty Blood, had double quarter-circle motions everywhere, and I never had trouble with them that I can remember. I had some trouble learning 360s but I eventually got it, but I still haven't gotten DPs to come out consistently after all this time practicing.