The Fightin' Fœnatics, V2 (Updated 5/3/17: HIATUS IS OVAH!)

What skill level of play would you best assign to yourself?

• Total voters

Bardic-Dragoon

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 5, 2016
You're acting like we're the problem, and that's why this critique feels so off-base. All we are doing is trying to provide people the tools to gain fighting game literacy, and a group of people to answer questions and grow alongside. The reason why you're not getting what you want out of the group is not because of a failing of the group, but because you don't want to engage the resources we are providing.
And i see that we will not see eye to eye on this. Your response that i have quoted (assuming i am understanding it properly, correct me if i am not) is basically that my complaints make no sense as i am not asking questions or looking for matches in a match finder/advice thread. My complaints however are more that all this seems to be is a match finder/advice thread and i was expecting more than that.

To be honest match finder and advice threads are a dime a dozen on the internet and yet in the 18+months i've been (intermittently) trying to find ways to improve at fighting games i have never joined one. This is because i am well aware of my weakness on the social aspect and wouldn't get anything out of them if i did join, and really even if it is arguably (ok i doubt there is any argument i just don't have anything but anecdotal information from one side of the situation) more inefficient any game with a remotely active player-base has random online matches and information is not hard to find on the internet.

My issue is that Songhacker's mission statement/opening post here seemed to imply something more than a simple advice and match finder thread, organization and an actual effort to help people learn (not just answer random questions there is a difference) and that's why i joined and also why i am upset here as i don't really see any of that.

I will not say i am completely without blame yes i could have asked for help but when my only options were to relay on information from a document that had not seen an update since about a month before i joined, or basically plead into an empty void (ok getting a little over the top with the language but that is how it's always felt with talking in some kind of live chat space) and hope some one is available and willing to help me train with no real direction on what i want help with.

It's why i suggested the match critique thing, not as a 'i want to do this but don't know if its allowed (by the way thanks for making me realize it is) but more as an easier way to create a learning space and environment without having to do any more then is already being done. By posting up match footage and asking the community to discuss it ( maybe add a small prompt like " why did x win/lose" or who had better spacing) you can drive the community to interact and (theoretically) enhance the groups understanding of why matches are won or lost or even just when you should/should not use certain types of options. I'll admit my comparison to a art critique thread was perhaps a bit off (outside of the idea being to get people to critique the match) as the ideas is less to help the people in the match improve as much as it would be to help the group as a whole understand good vs bad play.

Last edited:

Senjin

Resident Musician
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Chicago
Wow.

Sincerest apologies for my Behavior.
"Apologizing" for your rude behavior immediately after being rude does not excuse or allow that behavior, and it certainly doesn't give you a free pass to continue doing it.

I'd really like to say more words about how disrespectful you've been to both the person running this group, as well as the group as a whole, but out of my respect for both I'll just leave it at that.

Anyways, I don't know how much internet searching you've done for other FGC communities/forums, but based on what you've mentioned so far I'm going to assume none. You said you didn't really care about Skullgirls, so I won't bother listing anything for that game, but here's some places I'd recommend checking out:

UltraChenTV (general basics and good resource for kinda all things FGC)

Dustloop (Arksys games, so Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, Persona 4 Arena, and UNIEL)

CrossCounter (Street Fighter)

Pokken Arena (Pokken Tournament)

Shoryuken (General FGC news)

I don't really play Smash games much, but if you're interested in that I'm sure you can find plenty of stuff on YouTube if you search for it.

Personally, I got my start through UltraChenTV, but basics will only get you so far. Eventually you're gonna need to find some place to learn game specific mechanics/meta. And eventually, you're gonna have to start playing people. You can get super good without ever talking or interacting with anyone in any community, but it will likely take multiple years with consistent and hard dedication to get really good that way. It'll still take a long time if you choose to more actively interact with parts of the FGC (like this one), but it can definitely speed things up considerably.

That being said, there is nothing that can replace you physically putting in the hundreds of hours necessary to build up and internalize the muscle memory and reflexes needed to play most fighting games at a competent level. I don't know if you've tried to learn a skill before or not, but all the best lessons and critiques in the world can't actually give you the ability to do something. You still have to train your body and mind to be able to do it.

The last thing I'll say is this: I don't think you quite realize how amazing this (the TFH) community really is. The only other FGC community that I've seen that is this friendly and willing to help new players is the Skullgirls community (unsurprising, considering the amount of crossover between them there is). That's not to say the other communities aren't friendly or willing to help, but I doubt you'll find anything like this group in, say, the Guilty Gear community (at least I haven't), and I've definitely not seen anything even close to this for a game like Call of Duty or Dota. After the posts you made, most other forums would have chewed you up and spit you out, but instead you were directly offered help and advice. Maybe keep that in mind next time before you decide to post something about how this group/community isn't doing enough to help you.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Geez this whole discussion went south really fast.
I know you guys probably have no need to learn "politically correct" writing, but cushion it a bit, will ya? I am a chipper guy and even I find it hard to read the last few comments in a positive tone. They are overly long-winded and needlessly hostile.
Think of the noobies that will read these after the game releases! Is this how you want to be remembered for all those starry-eyed little kids whose mothers will go out in the street because the Cuddly little game they bought their kids isn't? Geeze.

Also, if you really fell you can't be not rude, then just write down your issue, make it condensed and to the point. That gives less chance for an argument to come to existence. This by the by goes for everyone involved, not just Bardic-Dragoon.

And now even I am starting it. See what you've done?

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
I don't think there was ever so much a case of disrespect as there was a case of very weak footing in an argument. It has since, however, devolved a bit...I can't say I'm not partially guilty, but I'm also incapable of being totally impartial, given how open and available I've tried to make myself for people.

Seriously, I think it best for the debate to come to a halt. He said his piece, others of us said ours, and although there's probably still residual heat, I still want to help Dragoon, if he wants me too.

If there's any take away, let it be that we can get past this sillyness and move on more effectively than other drama centrals.

Bardic-Dragoon

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 5, 2016
and although there's probably still residual heat
I don't know about he rest of you guys but i'm still burning with the fiery hatred of a thousand suns, but hey that's at least an order of magnitude below where I was before.

I feel like We might have gotten off on the wrong foot. I'm Bardic-Dragoon and I am kind of an a** with what some might call a weird if not twisted sense of humor. This might seem obvious given My prior posts, but that's more of a massive amount of rage of indeterminate origin ( best i can figure is a relaxing 3-4 day break from other people becoming 3-4 days of an uninterrupted, unadulterated stream of putting up with my worst BS, something i feel you can understand the bad mood inducing properties of) turning aggressive indifference (e.g. "i could be getting more out of this group but ...meh") into abundant and misguided rage peppered with enough sleep deprivation to prevent me from realizing how bad an idea posting was (or how half baked and completely lacking in thought 99% of what i was saying was).

I'm not trying to make excuses just stating information to try and prep you guys for the experience that is social interaction with me. i mean since i find it hard to believe any of you could think much worse of me by this point ( assuming ban-able/criminal offences are off the table) so that's 25% less reason to avoid interacting with this group (Laziness, being kind of anti-social, and having a tendency to overthink things are still on the table though) and where as some might consider the reverse of this revaluation ( e.g they must hat me) I actually prefer and deal much better with people hating me than having good things to say about me.

Well folks here's to making more wonderful memories together... or something....

Reactions: Rich Jammer

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Well folks here's to making more wonderful memories together... or something....
Now that we are all chummy, we can all bury the Incident behind us. And when the game finally comes out and all the little noobies join our merry band, we can always scare them into submission by mentioning the Incident. 'But Ave', they might ask, 'what was the Incident'? To that we'll reply: 'Stop asking these questions, do you want a repeat of the Incident?!'

Last edited:
Reactions: Rich Jammer

Daring

Words are hard.
Backers' Beta Tester
I don't know about he rest of you guys but i'm still burning with the fiery hatred of a thousand suns, but hey that's at least an order of magnitude below where I was before.

I feel like We might have gotten off on the wrong foot. I'm Bardic-Dragoon and I am kind of an a** with what some might call a weird if not twisted sense of humor. This might seem obvious given My prior posts, but that's more of a massive amount of rage of indeterminate origin ( best i can figure is a relaxing 3-4 day break from other people becoming 3-4 days of an uninterrupted, unadulterated stream of putting up with my worst BS, something i feel you can understand the bad mood inducing properties of) turning aggressive indifference (e.g. "i could be getting more out of this group but ...meh") into abundant and misguided rage peppered with enough sleep deprivation to prevent me from realizing how bad an idea posting was (or how half baked and completely lacking in thought 99% of what i was saying was).

I'm not trying to make excuses just stating information to try and prep you guys for the experience that is social interaction with me. i mean since i find it hard to believe any of you could think much worse of me by this point ( assuming ban-able/criminal offences are off the table) so that's 25% less reason to avoid interacting with this group (Laziness, being kind of anti-social, and having a tendency to overthink things are still on the table though) and where as some might consider the reverse of this revaluation ( e.g they must hat me) I actually prefer and deal much better with people hating me than having good things to say about me.

I'm quite used to dealing with people with low self-esteem and who aren't certain about social situations. If you would like to learn Melty (for the duration that we're on that game), I'd be glad to help in whatever capacity I am able. The only things I ask are that you show an honest drive, don't make excuses, and listen to the advice people who are trying to help give you. Oh, and for what it's worth, the "three things" still on the "table" are all things I personally still deal with (with mixed success), so it is doable. Feel free to message me on discord or add me on steam.

Daring

Words are hard.
Backers' Beta Tester
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ANNOUNCEMENT
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

The goal of this group is to help people attain some degree of fighting game literacy to more thoroughly enjoy TFH when it comes out. To that effect, we'll be learning a variety of fighting games as we inch our way closer to the closed beta. Up through this week, we've grounded ourselves in Skullgirls for its solid tutorial and responsive controls, but starting this week we'll be moving on to Melty Blood.

Tonight (4/29) at 8pm Eastern (about 2 hours from when I post this) will be our first official Melty stream event. It's going to be an introduction to the game for newcomers, and we'll help break open the intimidating system mechanics, answer any questions, and help you (if so inclined) get started down this rather Melty road. We'll be convening in the discord server linked in the original post, and the Twitch stream can be found here. This is intended to be an introductory/entry level event, so absolutely no fighting game experience will be required at all to take part. Come on by and learn a few things tonight, or if you can't due to scheduling conflictions, the vods will be up on our Twitch channel.

Cheers,

—Daring

Reactions: Lanxide

Rich Jammer

By the Numbers Accountant
Backers' Beta Tester
The player of the month of May did not cheat.
For his Melty skills, we bow to his feet.
It's for his glory we all take a back seat.
If he was a bird, he would be a parakeet.
So player of the month of May we must greet.
The truly best, the most elite.
@MPK

Rich Jammer

Backers' Beta Tester
I know we announced that May would be Melty Month but it turned out to be more of a mundane month. So for the month of June we would like to announce the first Friday Night Foenatics Tournament featuring Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code which will take place on 10th of June 2016.

For this tournament prizes will be announced at a later date.

Like before, it will most likely be Steam games.

How to Enter:

Please visit the challonge page and register yourself. It requires you to create an account to sign up unless you already have one. If you do have a Challonge username, please sign in to register. Please read the details below before registering in the tournament.

Tournament Date: 10 June 2016

Start Time: 6:00 PM EST (10:00 PM GMT)

Planned End Time: 10:00 PM EST (02:00 AM GMT)

Rules:

• As it is a Newbie tournament, certain highly skilled members must not be allowed to participate

• Any violations will be investigated and players may be disqualified

• Participants who do not arrive in time will be disqualified

• Participants must register on the Challonge Page

• Double elimination style with each match being a best-of-3-games set

• Semi-finals and finals will be best-of-5-games sets.

• No bans on characters.

You can view that bracket here.

Disclaimer: The tournament will be livestreamed on twitch. Recordings will be published onto twitch, youtube, etc. By participating in this event, you agree that your activities, matches, conversations, and your username will be livestreamed and published onto several sites.

Rich Jammer

Backers' Beta Tester
The First Melty Blood Tournament has Officially Concluded. Or should I call it: Oops, we're all having technical difficulties, please bear with us.

I would like to thank the people who organized the event and all the entrants who participated.

But a big shout out to the winner @Stridershy

Supreme Champion: Stridershy

Worthy Adversary: RayneTheSkunk

Maybe Next Time: richjammer

4th place: Zeel1

5th place tie: SubrosianDimitri
ReysolU

MBAACC Bracket.jpg

Reactions: Oreo

Rich Jammer

Backers' Beta Tester
I see some new people coming into the Discord chat. We were supposed to post this way, way earlier but I have to announce that the group is in hiatus and previous activities may come back when the Them's Fightin' Herds beta comes out. That means all tourneys and player of the month has been halted until further notice.

But that doesn't mean that you cannot join. We have a few people in there willing to play. Maybe one person to give advice and maybe train you. I can confirm that I'll be in there sometimes. We mostly play Skullgirls, but we also play Melty Blood and some of us play Street Fighter 5.

So if anyone reading this is interested, you can still join our Discord group.

NeoTensai

Twitch Streamer, Amateur Shoutcaster...
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 11, 2016
Slovenia, Ljubljana
I see some new people coming into the Discord chat. We were supposed to post this way, way earlier but I have to announce that the group is in hiatus and previous activities may come back when the Them's Fightin' Herds beta comes out. That means all tourneys and player of the month has been halted until further notice.

But that doesn't mean that you cannot join. We have a few people in there willing to play. Maybe one person to give advice and maybe train you. I can confirm that I'll be in there sometimes. We mostly play Skullgirls, but we also play Melty Blood and some of us play Street Fighter 5.

So if anyone reading this is interested, you can still join our Discord group.
Well the best training is just fighting online with others, so I guess the Discord group is the perfect place to meet new friends and where you can get feebdack by either video(someone streaming the fights) or plain text (chatting with oppoments after the fights)

Just thought I'd take the opportunity to mention that I want to join this group, but I lack the games to do so...
We got one game you can play just join the discord channel and we will continue that discusion there

Last edited:

NeoTensai

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 11, 2016
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Greetings and salutatuons fellow foenatics. Just wanted to wake and shake up this spideers nest we call a home. So for those of you who aren't in the Fightin' Foenatics discord, I am considering making a series of tournaments for Fighting games. All I need is to know how many people would be interested in the tournaments and which FG's you would like to play. Each tournament will have a small prize for the winner like eg. a giveaway key.

zigorsun

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Greetings and salutatuons fellow foenatics. Just wanted to wake and shake up this spideers nest we call a home. So for those of you who aren't in the Fightin' Foenatics discord, I am considering making a series of tournaments for Fighting games. All I need is to know how many people would be interested in the tournaments and which FG's you would like to play. Each tournament will have a small prize for the winner like eg. a giveaway key.
I would love to have "guilty gear xrd" tournament, but I am afraid we don't have many guilty gear players who want to participate

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Okay, so since we have the chance for some new tourneys, I'd like to ask for some ideas on what games should we try. Do not worry about obscurity, or if people don't have it, as I'd only want a list for an eventual strawpoll. Anything there with 8+ votes will be feasible.

baavetti

Needs More Cowbell
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
If for PC:
SFV, Guilty Gear Xrd sign, Blazblue chrono phantasm, skull girls, killer instinct, MKX, Uniel, Melty blood, and USF4.

my votes would go toward either gg , bb, or sg.

Lanxide

I wish I was cool
Feb 3, 2016
Melbourne Fl
If for PC:
SFV, Guilty Gear Xrd sign, Blazblue chrono phantasm, skull girls, killer instinct, MKX, Uniel, Melty blood, and USF4.

my votes would go toward either gg , bb, or sg.
Pretty much this. Despite the fact that I don't have any of those games for PC.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Okay, I tried. In the end we might decide to get more group-y before actually making tournaments, but it would be good to see what games do people have.

So, yes. Poll.

Stunthead

Springbok when
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
New Zealand
The hell is this place. Why was I not told about this? Damn it, I should really venture down into the Gaming and Off-Topic threads more often (or at all).
Anyway, yeah, I'm a total noob at fighting games, I haven't played one in my life, but I'm pretty okay with just going into TFH raw. I care about this game so I'll get gud eventually even without group training. That said, I am sad to miss out on the social aspect of this group. There's a whole area of the community here that I knew nothing about. Maybe I'll come back for some training once the game comes out. I run the Pom Patrol, it would be a little embarrassing if I couldn't play her.

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
The hell is this place. Why was I not told about this? Damn it, I should really venture down into the Gaming and Off-Topic threads more often (or at all).
Anyway, yeah, I'm a total noob at fighting games, I haven't played one in my life, but I'm pretty okay with just going into TFH raw. I care about this game so I'll get gud eventually even without group training. That said, I am sad to miss out on the social aspect of this group. There's a whole area of the community here that I knew nothing about. Maybe I'll come back for some training once the game comes out. I run the Pom Patrol, it would be a little embarrassing if I couldn't play her.
To be fair, we mostly play non fighting games at the moment, or just generally being jolly on the chat. So preemptive joining is never a bad idea.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Come join anyway. Say hello! Play games! And read silly chat messages.

NeoTensai

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 11, 2016
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Okay, I tried. In the end we might decide to get more group-y before actually making tournaments, but it would be good to see what games do people have.

So, yes. Poll.
Ok, agreed that we need more people for actual tournaments, but that doesn't excuse us from not playing fighting games a bit more often.
So here is my proposition, starting this sunday I will announce (or more like try to announce) days on which I will kick behinds of all who dare to show up. Games played will be based on my preference or whichever most of us can play on the announced day(Most likely SG, SF V or MBCCAA). On this fighting days I will keep score and start making a reference/power chart for the community.
Thats it for now more to follow on sunday

Rich Jammer

Backers' Beta Tester
I just realized I've been with this group for over a year now. I joined right after the Jan 2016 work stream. I remember I was moaning in the twitch chat about how terrible I was at fighting games and I couldn't even beat the first AI opponent in a particular fighting game. I was so doubting my decision of backing TFH a few months prior. Then Song was so gracious to help me out.

So where am I now in skill level? I still stink but I have improved way more in this year than what a decade or more of super casual playing has accomplished.

Thanks for a great year guys.

Xlerb

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Apr 25, 2017
For our first post-hiatus event, I'd like to stream an "FF Plays _____" featuring a $25 Steam game giveaway at the end to one randomly-selected event participant!

We'll host a vote for which game we play on the Discord server over the remainder of this week. It must be a multiplayer game that features easy drop-in/drop-out play so we can cycle players on stream as necessary.

The only eligibility requirement is that you come participate with us (and that you don't break any of our established rules in the process), and that you're still present at the time of selection. All previous prize winners from Fighting Fœnatics events retain eligibility. The winner will be selected by inputting names into a randomizer. As the prize-provider, I am naturally not eligible.

This event is tentatively scheduled for Sunday, May 14 at 1400 EDT (1800 GMT). We'll be streaming to the FightinFoenatic account on Twitch. Please join us!
Sounds fun, I'm in!