The Fightin' Fœnatics, V2 (Updated 5/3/17: HIATUS IS OVAH!)

What skill level of play would you best assign to yourself?

• Total voters

TheOneZeelOne

Don't be afraid of the dark
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Gadsden, AL
Pft. Okay fine I'm not a beginner, just a slow learner. Happy? :p
Well atleast you're honest~ ^^'

Me, Skullgirls is pretty much the first 2D fighter I've really attempted seriously, I've had it for all of five days and I'm sure I already have a lot more time in it than any other. 20 hours specifically! So by that metric, I should be your equal in experience by uh... June?

So just you wait!!! ;)

Karilyn

Buttonmashing Scrub
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
Atlanta, GA
You could probably kick my butt pretty easily! I'll let you know when Skullgirls doesn't make me extremely uncomfortable. Every now and then I'll fiddle with it for a few hours, which I'm currently doing again cause of this thread. But having never played MVC or any other tag fighters, it feels very alien to me, and kinda overwhelming. It feels like they took every mechanic and design decision which has ever existed in a fighter, and mashed them all into a single game, and said "Oh yeah we included a tutorial so we're totally new player friendly" while hitting you across the head with an encyclopedia of mechanics :p I want to like it because it seems cool but the barrier of entry seems to be the highest of any fighter I've ever tried @_@

Rexis

He, who is concerned.
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 9, 2016
I'm really hyped up for this. It's a great concept and it builds experience. Can't wait to see this thread BOOM from the rest. It's going to be a fun ride.

Zeropoint

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Oregon
I just got Skullgirls yesterday. My level of progress as I write this is: Couldn't get through Tutorial Lesson 2.2: Punishing.

What have I gotten myself into?

I may have overrated my skill in selecting the second-worst option on the list.

Stridershy

The King Of Goat Style
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
The Place Where Goats Are
I just got Skullgirls yesterday. My level of progress as I write this is: Couldn't get through Tutorial Lesson 2.2: Punishing.

What have I gotten myself into?

I may have overrated my skill in selecting the second-worst option on the list.
All it takes is practice. No one became great in a day.

Zeropoint

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Oregon
I've added my Steam name (Glasnerven) to my profile page, and I guess I'm in for this project. I may not be able to commit much time to the league, though.

crispyruffles

Addicted to Skullgirls til this comes out
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I'm constantly posting this everywhere, so I'm amazed I haven't here. I love helping and I'd love to play anyone on Skullgirls to practice. If you need some advice or if you just wanna pwn a noobish intermediate. Steam name's the same: crispyruffles.

Galaxy Heart

Caffeine-Based Life Form
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Down the ne'er-do-well.
Okay, this may run contrary to everyone else's recommendation of "Skullgirls" before TFH but I'm going to break away from the herd (teehee) in this case and recommend Persona 4 Arena Ultimax as a starting point if anyone wants to learn things like FGC basics and execution.

Why?
Many reasons.
1. Almost every special in the game is a hadoken motion or double hadoken motion. There are a few exceptions of course, but when there is, they're charge moves; another essential input to learn.

2. While being completely unique in itself with the persona system, it teaches spacing very well. If you over extend or misplace your attacks, it's likely that your Persona will take damage. When your Persona takes a certain amount of character dependent damage, you can't use Persona attacks anymore and that is a BIG loss.

3. It encompasses almost every play style in fighting games, so you can find a character to suit you.

This is a problem I feel Skullgirls has.
With its limited character roster, there are some fighting styles that go unrepresented. Persona covers ALL of them. Shoto, trickster, glass cannon, zoning, keep-away, grappler, charge, everything.

4. Free form movement.
Persona is excellent for learning movement in these kind of games because everyone has access to the same movement options.

Long story short; I would highly recommend it if you're looking into expanding your knowledge and getting really good. While Skullgirls may provide a similar "game feel"; Persona is a far more rewarding and varied tool for learning FGC basics.

Reactions: Lanxide

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com
Okay, this may run contrary to everyone else's recommendation of "Skullgirls" before TFH but I'm going to break away from the herd (teehee) in this case and recommend Persona 4 Arena Ultimax as a starting point if anyone wants to learn things like FGC basics and execution.
Accessibility is a massive issue with starting to learn fighting games. Persona, both the first and Ultimax, require a console. Not everyone will have a console. Not only this, but Skullgirls is relatively cheap on PC, and the vast majority of PCs can run it. With that in mind, you need to also note that TFH is currently slated for only PC/Mac/Linux releases, and as we are using the same engine as SG, the minimum requirements are going to be fairly similar.

While I agree that Persona has far more depth to different styles of play, Skullgirls is easily the best choice since it combines a cheaper game with the fantastic tutorial system. Not only that, but, as you said, Persona is basically limited to QCF and QCB motions, sometimes doubling them. The odd time there may be a 22 input as well. This leaves room for a lot of things like DP motions and Half Circles that are just not going to be as apparent. There's a lot of good that Persona could teach people, as well as a lot of bad that it could teach people as well. Skullgirls at least has the fantastic tutorial to get people started from the ground up.

Not trying to completely shut you down, but with brand new players, accessibility is a huge issue.

Edit: Talking about this caused a huge discussion in the community Discord server, so even though I disagree with you, thank you for posting this. A lot of good will come from the discussion that was had.

Last edited:

Franko

J.F. Rey Eyewear ᴷᵃᶻ ᴳᵉᵃʳ
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
I'd love to join, my Skullgirls could definitely use a lot of work. I'm a bit confused on how to officially join though. I've read through the thread but it seems like the Skype group's been dropped in favor of Discord? Unless you guys still want me to join through Skype? The whole thing is pretty confusing to me.

Sorry if this is just me being dumb or something, just needed to get this out here before I dissuaded myself. I'm a pretty nervous person who's been lurking the Fighting Fœnatics since the Skullheart days and always somehow dissuaded myself from joining because I never could figure out exactly how to join and I didn't want to seem stupid.

Stridershy

The King Of Goat Style
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
The Place Where Goats Are
I'd love to join, my Skullgirls could definitely use a lot of work. I'm a bit confused on how to officially join though. I've read through the thread but it seems like the Skype group's been dropped in favor of Discord? Unless you guys still want me to join through Skype? The whole thing is pretty confusing to me.

Sorry if this is just me being dumb or something, just needed to get this out here before I dissuaded myself. I'm a pretty nervous person who's been lurking the Fighting Fœnatics since the Skullheart days and always somehow dissuaded myself from joining because I never could figure out exactly how to join and I didn't want to seem stupid.
Yeah, we've all pretty much moved onto Discord. I haven't received any messages on Skype in awhile, so its safe to say we've all moved to Discord.

Zeropoint

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Oregon
Well, I guess I'll have to look into this Discord thing. Is it named after everypony's favorite John DeLancie character, or is that just an amusing coincidence?

TheOneZeelOne

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Gadsden, AL
I guess I'll have to get over my shyness and get to using my microphone next time we do one of these if I want to get noticed... ^^'

Naughta_Noob

"I mustn't betray spoon"
Backers' Beta Tester
While I agree with you that Persona 4 Arena is an easy game to get into, the reason why I'd never recommend it to get into fighters is mostly because it's a very different beast from basically everything on the market with how the Persona attacks work. Skullgirls would probably be the best choice with the tutorial and it's focus on the magic series and launchers.

Rexis

He, who is concerned.
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 9, 2016
Completely out of it, uhhh when's the next reunion?

EAiscool

The conversation starter
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 18, 2016
Hi. I just joined this little group yesterday and I was kinda wondering.

I don't mean to be rude, but judging from the tourney stream replay I watched last night it seems a lot of the people in this group are new. Like really new.

I'm not really. I have over 400 hours of experience in Skullgirls now. So my question is, am I expected to teach people? Because I'm kinda sorta awful at that and I'd probably do more harm than good if I attempted to do so.

EAiscool

The conversation starter
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 18, 2016
It's ultimately up to you. All that we really ask for is some level of participation, mostly. It'd be cool if you could teach, but if you're uncomfortable doing so no one is going to try to force it.

That said, don't sell yourself short. Instructing others effectively requires time and patience more than anything else, much like improving your own play. I'm sure you're better at it than you give yourself credit for.

Actually, I could use some 1-on-1 training myself for all the characters I've been too lazy to research. Who do you play? Maybe you wouldn't mind at least giving it a shot with me and helping me get started on a new character (or if you're a Painwheel expert, helping me improve my game with her).
Yeah, I've attempted to teach people who asked for help in the past and it didn't really work so well. I believe one of my stellar pieces of advice was something along the lines of "stop getting hit."

I'd be happy to do practice matches against people though. I play Val and Double. I'm available off and on during the week, but I'm pretty much always online on Friday and Saturday nights. Except for today. I'm on vacation and away from my PC.

MidwestB

Jack-of-many-trades, master of none
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Minnesota
Just read through this thread and it sounds really fun. Haven't played too many fighting games, occasionally some Mortal Kombat. When I can pick up Skull Girls, I'd like to participate here.

A question I have is if there's a document, book, or site you'd recommend to get up to speed with terminology and stuff. (I don't really know what a quarter circle move is, and had to look up what a push-block was)

Hopefully I'll be able to join soon!

xCROOKEDx

Strongest Bee in the World!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I'd probably be interested in joining this group if
A) it were focused on SFV rather than Skullgirls, and
B) I weren't an socially anxious introvert who hates committing to anything where talking to other people is required.

EAiscool

The conversation starter
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 18, 2016
I used to be a socially anxious introvert. Then I had the misfortune of playing video games with people from The Butt Zone.

Nothing I could ever possibly say could be more awkward and embarrassing than what they talked about regularly. I got over my own issues pretty quick after that.

I'm pretty sure there are some people in the group who play SFV too. I know I'm gonna get it on PC once they work out some of the kinks in it.

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
I'd like to join and start participating once I'm a bit more confident in my internet connection. I'll be moving in about a month, so here's hoping there will be an improvement on that front. And that I remember to sign up.

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com
I'd probably be interested in joining this group if
A) it were focused on SFV rather than Skullgirls
That's a fine thing to say, but the issue is that Skullgirls is extremely accessible when it comes to price and PC requirements. Always going to be up to Songhacker here, I'm not trying to overthrow his power with the group, but they've only really mentioned doing stuff with SG, and possibly Melty later on.

xCROOKEDx

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
That's a fine thing to say, but the issue is that Skullgirls is extremely accessible when it comes to price and PC requirements. Always going to be up to Songhacker here, I'm not trying to overthrow his power with the group, but they've only really mentioned doing stuff with SG, and possibly Melty later on.
No no, I know that; SG runs even on super-low spec machines (It ran on my tablet, though online was wonky), has good tutorials & GGPO support, and it goes on sale for ~$3 USD all the time on GMG & HumbleBundle.

It's just that I really don't enjoy playing Skullgirls all that often, and I'm learning Street Fighter V right now. With how my classes have been going, I don't have enough time or energy to learn two different games. Also, I can't quit my girl Karin *swoooons*

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com
No no, I know that; SG runs even on super-low spec machines (It ran on my tablet, though online was wonky)
Please, please never play seriously on a tablet. They are very prone to frame drops and a tournament once tried to use them for SG and Oreo actually had to tell them to stop.

It's just that I really don't enjoy playing Skullgirls all that often, and I'm learning Street Fighter V right now. With how my classes have been going, I don't have enough time or energy to learn two different games.
That is completely understandable, and (if Songhacker doesn't mind me mentioning the other Discord in here) you can feel free to join the Community Discord server and talk about some SFV in there, we've got some people that are learning it as well, though we aren't nearly as newbie-geared as the FFs are.

Also, I can't quit my girl Karin *swoooons*
snip while awesome-looking in many respects (Karinnnnnn)
If you kids need some Karin tech, I got you.

xCROOKEDx

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Please, please never play seriously on a tablet. They are very prone to frame drops
It was more of a test than anything else =P Kind of a "Will this actually work?" Lo and behold, I got 60FPS offline. Online was a totally different story, though; that was a frightening, frame-drop filled time, and definitely not an experience I'm going to repeat any time soon.

a tournament once tried to use them for SG and Oreo actually had to tell them to stop.
I could see the legitimacy in using certain models of tablets for Skullgirls or other low-spec games, however, for the price, they could probably get cheapo desktops that would run a lot more games, and more consistently.

Feanor

Proud Velveeta
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Earth
Though it is short notice, players will need to be registered by 6:00 PM US EST (2300 GMT) to make the cutoff. To register, simply PM this account with your intention to participate. Here's to seeing a bit more liveliness in the days to come. Hope to see as many of you there as possible!"
Is that cut-off 6pm today or tomorrow? I may be able to attend this one.

Flutter KI

Killer Instinct fanatic
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Been poking around a bit to see what I've missed since I've been away and came across this and its an amazing thing! I love when communities come together and level each other up! Id love to be a part of it but I've got no PC :'( I play skullgirls through xbox 360 backwards compatibility on the xbox one. Just wanted to say what you guys got going on here is fantastic and if the focus ever shifts to Killer Instinct, I'll be there in a heartbeat. (KI is my main game)

Rich Jammer

By the Numbers Accountant
Backers' Beta Tester
The votes are in for February's Player of the Month, Rich Jammer!

Rich has provided the group with a variety of simple yet amusing images and pieces of art, and has been active in group events as well as day-to-day community involvement.

Rich is our first PotM, and as stated on Discord, is entitled to a free digital game release (up to $60 in value).

Other nominees for the month included Zeel and Aardvark.
Thank you my Friendly Fellow Foenatics.

Now see you all in 6 months.... just kidding.

TheOneZeelOne

Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Gadsden, AL
I would like to announce our next Skullgirls tournament, and this time there's gonna be a full week's advance.

Next Friday, will be the first of what I am personally dubbing the Young Lion's Cup!
We ain't ungulates quite yet, we don't need to be worrying about predators at the moment, so don't fret about that~

For those that aren't total wrestling nerds like me, that's a reference to New Japan Pro Wrestling, which itself sometimes hosts tournaments for it's rookies. As that implies, this is indeed beginner-oriented. If you think yourself new to the game or the genre, or you just think you have the skills of someone that is - we don't judge, we're all here to get better myself included~ - this is the tournament for you!

By now we've seen a fair bit of the people that have joined this group so far, and we have a decent idea as to who is and isn't at the appropriate skill level for this. So you shouldn't have to worry about being overwhelmed by the competition.

And I will say this is going to be a Round Robin style tournament. For those unfamiliar with the format, all you have to know is that it ensures everyone who signs up will fight everyone else. So there's no such thing as getting a tough draw and being knocked out in the first round. Thusly, if you sign up to this, you are guaranteed a good number of matches... assuming there's a decent turnout~ And because of this format, there is no cap to the number of entrants. There could be 3 or 33!

Once every possible match-up has taken place, the two players with the most wins shall meet in a best-of-3 finals to determine the first-ever Young Lions Cup Champion!
Or in the event of a tie of three or more players, there will simply be another, much smaller tournament... :p

As always, you can enter by going to our Discord channel - the invite link is here once more - and sending a direct message to the Fighting Fœnatics account, stating your intent to join.

Specific time of it starting will be confirmed when we get closer to the event, but judging by the previous ones held, you can probably assume it'll be around the range of 7-9 PM EST.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stridershy

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Holy cow what the hell is this mass of text and why haven't I found this sooner? This is an awesome initiative, though I will probably never join. I am just too lazy to help on call (never mind the time zones). Or attend tournaments. Or to do anything actively really. Though since I usually help noobies the best I can in any game, if someone walks up to me in the lobby, I would gladly help 'em. Soooo maybe as an auxiliary member? Maybe have a list of lazy bums who will help if you find them, but that's it? (There are too much text to read now, so if something like this was already mentioned feel free to ignore this. Tomorrow I might chew through the thread)