TFH In The Media

bibliodragon

Mashing the buttons!
Backers' Beta Tester
Jul 7, 2016
Since release is approaching (touch the cow wood, throws salt behind shoulder, says several Hail Freds), that means the esteemed world of journalism should be glancing in our direction.

To to start, from Gamecrate:
Games to look out for in February 2018
And now for the absolute weirdest game on our list, Them’s Fightin’ Herds. So a while ago a team of developers started developing a fighting game based on the Lawyer Friendly Equinesfranchise. Needless to say, they eventually got a cease and desist order since one-on-one combat to the death wasn’t exactly part of the image that Lawyer Friendly Equines wanted to be associated with. The weird catch? The game was good. It has a really deep combo system and a unique character trait system along the lines of what you might see in Injustice 2 or Blazblue. So what was the dev team to do? Make their own fighting game featuring their own original characters…. Who just so happen to be barnyard animals. I told you this was the weirdest game on our list!

SmokeRulz

Where there is smoke, there is fire!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Nice. Hope there's other websites that are covering it, or at least WILL cover it once it hits release and/or a trailer comes out. I intend to do my part and at least submit it to places.

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

bibliodragon

Mashing the buttons!
Backers' Beta Tester
Jul 7, 2016
Nice. Hope there's other websites that are covering it, or at least WILL cover it once it hits release and/or a trailer comes out. I intend to do my part and at least submit it to places.
The game's backstory should hopefully get attention. How many silly fan games turn out so good they start to get mainstream attention, get smacked down by the IP holder but then the creator steps in to create a whole new world so the game can still get made?

A couple of little mentions:
Listed in PreviewsWorld's upcoming pop culture (but they have the release date as May 18 2018 :arishock:)
POP List Pop Culture Film & TV Release Dates

FGO 2017 Year End Review!!
Looking to 2018:
We will also be seeing the unique indie title Them’s Fightin Herds finally make its way to the masses and we believe it will carve its niche and possibly do some exciting things moving forward.

Frost Aura

That guy that answers questions
Sep 20, 2017
Canada
"Who just so happen to be barnyard animals"
Legit, only two of them are barnyard animals. (I'm not sure if Alpacas are considered barnyard, ditto for the deer.) But we also have a unicorn and a flying snekhorse. I have a boubt that you'll find them in a barnyard.

SmokeRulz

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Legit, only two of them are barnyard animals. (I'm not sure if Alpacas are considered barnyard, ditto for the deer.) But we also have a unicorn and a flying snekhorse. I have a boubt that you'll find them in a barnyard.
Yeah, they're obviously just being silly. They also fail to mention that the devs picked up Lauren Faust and the Z-Engine as a big middle finger to the C&D. That's such a great little factoid that it should always be mentioned in news about the game.

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com
I appreciate to no end that on a list including such things as Under Night In-Birth exe:late [st] (I love French Bread naming conventions, they make me so happy) and the RailDex + Virtual On crossover, we are still somehow the weirdest game on the list. Because animals. What a time to be alive.

Fun fact time with Cam: Actually, there's someone who used to have a farm full of alpacas near my town, so yeah they can technically be seen as barnyard.

Mage

A Normal Person
Feb 26, 2017
Oblivion
It's great that the game is getting coverage to drum up attention, but bleh.
I'm really not looking forward to seeing people make fools of themselves over the game because the characters are animals, which might make the game too "weird". Several anecdotes from people on the forums have already claimed to have gotten this response. Because, you know, games like Street Fighter and Guilty Gear have perfectly "normal" human characters. No undead army men or dudes fighting from the comforts of queen-size beds to be found there. But quadrupeds? Ew.

Last edited:

bibliodragon

Mashing the buttons!
Backers' Beta Tester
Jul 7, 2016
I'm really not looking forward to seeing people make fools of themselves over the game because the characters are animals, which might make the game too "weird". Several anecdotes from people on the forums have already claimed to have gotten this response. Because, you know, games like Street Fighter and Guilty Gear have perfectly "normal" human characters. No undead army men or dudes fighting from the comforts of queen-size beds to be found there. But quadrupeds? Ew.
It's sad that cute, interesting and unique female characters without a scrap of sexulisation are weird, but if that has to be the case, it is good to be weird. As a kid who had to play Primal Rage with the gore turned off (Vertigo FTW!), I would have loved the hell out of this game back then.

More respect from Shoryuken (but of course, hot takes in the comments).
Mane6's indie fighter "Them's Fightin' Herds" release set for February 2018

MSTieScott

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
May 13, 2016
Yeah, what is up with that? When I was a kid, my favorite character in Street Fighter II was the crazy green electricity monster. The human characters were boring. But Blanka was fun.

PixelGrip94

Games, Movies, Music, & Ponies!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I'm happy that the game is getting some decent coverage. I'm wondering if some other well-known gaming sites will be mentioning it before and after its release. Namely, places like IGN or Kotaku (as horrible as those places are in the world of gaming "journalism"). If there's one thing I'm really hoping for, it's that Maximilian Dood gives the game a try and actually ends up liking it enough to help promote it and give Mane6 the praise they deserve.
Maybe it'll even help with getting some console ports, more DLC, and potential sequels. :olliesilly:

Here's hopin'

Naughta_Noob

"I mustn't betray spoon"
Backers' Beta Tester
If there's one thing I'm really hoping for, it's that Maximilian Dood gives the game a try and actually ends up liking it enough to help promote it and give Mane6 the praise they deserve.
Sorry to burst your bubble here, but Max already showed bias against the game during the Crowdfund due to the Lawyer Friendly Equines connection. Now I don't know if it was trolling or not, but knowing him, he'll give it, like, one stream with the whole crew, say it's good, and then never touch it again. It already happened just like that with Skullgirls, recently.

Epsilon

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
In light of the upcoming release, wouldn't it be good to link as many related resources as possible to the Steam page and the trailer? You never know how people bump into things on the Internet.
For example:
The indiegogo page and mane6.com are the first search results to come up when googling for Them's Fightin' Herds. It seems like a good idea to put the news about the scheduled release on the top pages there.
The Steam Greenlight page which comes up instead of the Steam page for the actual game, while redundant, is not updated to immediately show this info to an occasional reader, and given the last user activity there was in January, updating the page might help spread the news.
In the results of searching for the mane6 team itself, there are videos from the streams, but the trailer itself is buried underneath - adding some annotations and links to the stream videos can also help to get more attention to it.
And just as a nice little touch, updating the description of the Mane6 Twitter profile to fix the release date also seems reasonable.

SmokeRulz

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
knowing him, he'll give it, like, one stream with the whole crew, say it's good, and then never touch it again.
I'd be perfectly fine with even just this. Even a one-off video on the Max Dood YT channel would be nice publicity for the game, especially if he says it's good. Not sure if the rest of his crew would be there, since a lot of his stuff is done alone, but that'd make it more entertaining, I suppose.

gatorafan

HOLAS: (tm)
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Ship02: Ur
nightarks.enjin.com
I'd be perfectly fine with even just this. Even a one-off video on the Max Dood YT channel would be nice publicity for the game, especially if he says it's good. Not sure if the rest of his crew would be there, since a lot of his stuff is done alone, but that'd make it more entertaining, I suppose.
All the one off stuff (be it because it's dank, new or whatever) is done by the group Max's a part of (Yo Videogames), while his solo streams are saved for the stuff he is actually invested into. So yeah, the crew will be there.

EDIT: We are also likely getting a Fisticuffs from the Best Friends.

EDIT2: Derp corrections

sokolgs

TFH Streamer
Jan 4, 2017
Russia, Moscow city
Here's link to the recent post in the main blog of the main Russian brony media and forum Everypony.
I wanted to be first, but still they were faster then me. I'm gonna post almost the same there in tfh blog anyway soon, then will continue spreading in VK. This means that everything is going awesome on my front, yay! Hope they will ask me to participate in their radio, cuz this was discussed earlier.
Them’s Fightin’ Herds – первый трейлер и дата выхода
Alright, i might will find more stuff to post here, but that's it for now.
Happy Febrelease!

Alevgor

Canis Imaginatus
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I would have posted link to RPS article about TFH release date, but forum autocorrection won't let me (because of "pawney" word).

SmokeRulz

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
All the one off stuff (be it because it's dank, new or whatever) is done by the group Max's a part of (Yo Videogames), while his solo streams are saved for the stuff he is actually invested into. So yeah, the crew will be there.

EDIT: We are also likely getting a Fisticuffs from the Best Friends.
Not necessarily. He played Fight of Gods by himself (and made like 3 videos of it actually). Most of the stuff he does is actually by himself, and then the crew comes in for nightly livestreams, which mostly is major releases or nostalgic games. But like I said, I'd have no problem with the crew being there, unless Steve took it as an excuse to be as cancerous as possible. (Simmons likely would spend the whole stream fanboying over Velvet)

And here's Shoryuken.com's article coming in a day late.
Hey, sweet. I submitted info to them but it seems they stopped posting for the night before they could make an article for it. I figured it would come today.

Rodya

Perpetually tired
Jul 31, 2017
Coahuila, México
I e-mailed two "serious" Spanish speaking sites, since there is practically no coverage on this game outside of some horsefriends forum posts from years ago, hopefully they'll read my message. Will check back on them later.

Last edited:

PixelGrip94

Games, Movies, Music, & Ponies!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Sorry to burst your bubble here, but Max already showed bias against the game during the Crowdfund due to the Lawyer Friendly Equines connection. Now I don't know if it was trolling or not, but knowing him, he'll give it, like, one stream with the whole crew, say it's good, and then never touch it again. It already happened just like that with Skullgirls, recently.
While that's disappointing to hear, I'm in overall agreement with SmokeRulz. In the end, if it gets the publicity and attention that lead to more sales, then one playthrough is good enough. Even if he isn't willing to look past the LFE connection and become a regular player of the game.

Reactions: ty4brawl

Pom d'or

Gave himself a fake award
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
Very good article.
It's a good article once you get past the first paragraph.

"A reasonable person might look at Them’s Fightin’ Herds, a game filled with cute horses looking to punch each other, and assume it’s based on the modern Lawyer Friendly Equines TV series. The character designs look just like the characters from the show..."

- There are no horses.
- The art style is similar (obviously) but the characters do not look "just like" the characters form the show

After that, though, it's a nice write-up about the development.

Mage

A Normal Person
Feb 26, 2017
Oblivion
It's a good article once you get past the first paragraph.

"A reasonable person might look at Them’s Fightin’ Herds, a game filled with cute horses looking to punch each other, and assume it’s based on the modern Lawyer Friendly Equines TV series. The character designs look just like the characters from the show..."

- There are no horses.
- The art style is similar (obviously) but the characters do not look "just like" the characters form the show

After that, though, it's a nice write-up about the development.
Unfortunately, it's to be expected and there's not much anyone can do about it.
As Lauren Faust herself once said, for some reason people link anything that is "cartoon + horse" (or in this case, "cartoon + ungulate") to the pony show. The example she herself gave was the Pokemon Mudsdale, which looks nothing like said cartoon ponies, but people still say "Oh look, it's the pony show!"

hawthornbunny

Fights like a cow
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I never watched Smosh Games before, but they're the guys who do Honest Game Trailers and have 7 squillion subscribers, so I think them covering TFH is pretty cool. At the end there's a TFH-related forfeit for the tournament losers :)

Rodya

Perpetually tired
Jul 31, 2017
Coahuila, México
I never watched Smosh Games before, but they're the guys who do Honest Game Trailers and have 7 squillion subscribers, so I think them covering TFH is pretty cool. At the end there's a TFH-related forfeit for the tournament losers :)

Can you imagine it? Having legal action filed against you, having to abandon that project that everyone loved you so much for, managing to stay together as a team, coming back from the dead with help from Ms. Faust, coming up with original characters in your new, own universe, successfully raising a crowdfunding campaign that many believed would fail, getting support from other companies thanks to people that have followed you for so long, making your own game from the ground up, delivering a product made from your love and hard work, even when lots of people said that M6 would never deliver, just so that, after all these years, when you and pretty much everyone have moved on, people STILL refer to TFH as that one "Lawyer Friendly Equines Fighting Game". It has to be rather infuriating, I'd wager.
I mean, I know that it's important to know about the game's history and all that, but come on.

Lanxide

I wish I was cool
Feb 3, 2016
Melbourne Fl

Yup, that's the last time I'm going to watch a popular YouTuber and the fact that the title is misleading doesn't help.