TFH Early Access - Dev Tasklist

Mane6Dev

The Powers that Be
Mane6 Developer
Jan 25, 2016
The Hold
mane6.com

Hi everyone! It’s been a few days since EA release and we’re working overtime to ensure that people are getting the smoothest experience with the game possible.

We’ve been lurking and interacting with steam forums, TFH forums and Discord servers to gather feebdack. We’ve compiled them into a list and picked out what we feel are the most important items to work on right now. We were aware of some of these issues beforehand, but we were unsure of the number of people they would affect. We now have a more solid priority order for these thanks to your input!

First off,

Priority Everything (Highest):

• Story mode, while we work on everyting else below

‘Nuff said

Second, we’re working to resolve some existing issues with the core game. This is by no means a complete list, just “major” things we’re working on first.

Primary Priority

• Finished art assets for all moves/characters/attacks
  • Solving Multiplayer fight connection issues happening with some players
  • Netcode with GGPO seems to be working fine with most people, but some are getting dips or framerate issues. We're working with them to find out why and resolve it.
  • Pixel lobby connectivity issues for some players
  • Some of our users are having trouble getting the pixel lobby servers to respond to their games, or they're "connecting" but then cannot control their character. We're tracking down these issues and will keep you updated on fixes
  • "Random" crashes for some players after the game has been open for several hours; It seems to depend somewhat on the computer, but some players are getting crashes that seem like they are random after having the game open for several hours. We now know what is causing this issue and we're working to resolve it.

Secondary Priority

• AI difficulty; We're finding the AI difficulty is not at the level that people would expect, and the gaps in difficulty between levels is too great. We're working to scale back the AI's more annoying tendencies and make it a bit more human-like.
  • Controller issues in salt mines.
  • For certain controller configurations, your controller may stop working (or switch to player 2) at the end of a fight. We're in the process of fixing this one.
  • Finding people who aren't at 60 FPS and getting them there
  • making '-minimalhud' a main menu accessible option
  • Giving options for turning on and off weather effects (for streamers and lower end PCs)
  • User Interface in pixel lobby
  • Improved controls for muting players (the current one is a little too well hidden)
  • Full 'start' menu with more options and control reference
  • Quicker handling of disconnections when in fights

Tertiary Priority

• Skill capped and password protected pixel lobbies & invite only classic lobbies.
  • A few people are having a bug where characters do not make sounds. We've identified the source of this issue and we're working to resolve it.
  • A few people are experiencing a bug where they are unable to switch resolutions (the game hangs when they do).
  • Making controls for main menu fully separated from fights.
  • Small (but important) UI fixes
  • voice indicators for when your opponent is talking in a fight
  • clearer indication of how to leave pixel lobby (by holding magic) and using text chat (currently, clicking on textbox)

Roadmap Items

• Proper tutorial mode (with a version covering just tfh basics releasing first)
  • Proper combo trials mode (outside of the current combo trials in training)
  • Salt mines getting a redesign pass (thanks for the feebdack!)

We want to thank everyone for their feebdack once again! If you have questions, comments, suggestions or more bug reports, please do voice them in the forums!

Last edited:

Lurk

Feb 17, 2018

Hi everyone! It’s been a few days since EA release and we’re working overtime to ensure that people are getting the smoothest experience with the game possible.

We’ve been lurking and interacting with steam forums, TFH forums and Discord servers to gather feebdack. We’ve compiled them into a list and picked out what we feel are the most important items to work on right now. We were aware of some of these issues beforehand, but we were unsure of the number of people they would affect. We now have a more solid priority order for these thanks to your input!

First off,

Priority Everything (Highest):

• Story mode, while we work on everyting else below

‘Nuff said

Second, we’re working to resolve some existing issues with the core game. This is by no means a complete list, just “major” things we’re working on first.

Primary Priority

• Finished art assets for all moves/characters/attacks
  • Solving Multiplayer fight connection issues happening with some players
  • Netcode with GGPO seems to be working fine with most people, but some are getting dips or framerate issues. We're working with them to find out why and resolve it.
  • Pixel lobby connectivity issues for some players
  • Some of our users are having trouble getting the pixel lobby servers to respond to their games, or they're "connecting" but then cannot control their character. We're tracking down these issues and will keep you updated on fixes
  • "Random" crashes for some players after the game has been open for several hours; It seems to depend somewhat on the computer, but some players are getting crashes that seem like they are random after having the game open for several hours. We now know what is causing this issue and we're working to resolve it.

Secondary Priority

• AI difficulty; We're finding the AI difficulty is not at the level that people would expect, and the gaps in difficulty between levels is too great. We're working to scale back the AI's more annoying tendencies and make it a bit more human-like.
  • Controller issues in salt mines.
  • For certain controller configurations, your controller may stop working (or switch to player 2) at the end of a fight. We're in the process of fixing this one.
  • Finding people who aren't at 60 FPS and getting them there
  • making '-minimalhud' a main menu accessible option
  • Giving options for turning on and off weather effects (for streamers and lower end PCs)
  • User Interface in pixel lobby
  • Improved controls for muting players (the current one is a little too well hidden)
  • Full 'start' menu with more options and control reference
  • Quicker handling of disconnections when in fights

Tertiary Priority

• Skill capped and password protected pixel lobbies & invite only classic lobbies.
  • A few people are having a bug where characters do not make sounds. We've identified the source of this issue and we're working to resolve it.
  • A few people are experiencing a bug where they are unable to switch resolutions (the game hangs when they do).
  • Making controls for main menu fully separated from fights.
  • Small (but important) UI fixes
  • voice indicators for when your opponent is talking in a fight
  • clearer indication of how to leave pixel lobby (by holding magic) and using text chat (currently, clicking on textbox)

Roadmap Items

• Proper tutorial mode (with a version covering just tfh basics releasing first)
  • Proper combo trials mode (outside of the current combo trials in training)
  • Salt mines getting a redesign pass (thanks for the feebdack!)

We want to thank everyone for their feebdack once again! If you have questions, comments, suggestions or more bug reports, please do voice them in the forums!
Where would character taunts rank? Seems like only Velvet and Arizona have theirs currently.

Valsion

Feb 24, 2018
How would the skill capping work? The most sensible way to gauge skill in a fighting game I can think of, would be to measure how much damage the player can do with a combo on average while factoring in the general win/loss ratio (for cases where the player is good at executing combos but bad at setting them up.)

Erkicman

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Is the "Some PS4 controllers behave as both the controller and the keyboard at the same time" glitch gonna be on the list? It's the bug that makes the dummy mirror your moves in training mode and you can't turn it off unless you set the dummy to crouch or jump. (Also can "stand" be a dummy option in training mode? Might be a good stopgap fix until you track down the actual bug)

Timeline15

Feb 25, 2018
Making controls for main menu fully separated from fights.
This. Thank you. I won't have to have the right arrow key as my accept button anymore xD.
While you're at it, is there any chance of getting actual mouse control in the menus? I don't know if that's atypical for fighting games or not, but I just find it far more intuitive to be able to click on buttons, rather than navigate to them and then press a second button to confirm.

Reactions: TheMinstrelBoy

Alevgor

Canis Imaginatus
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Salt mines getting a redesign pass
I don't know, what specifically you are going to change, but here are some suggestions:
1. Sprite for AI controlled characters that is different from player controlled character. Maybe something similar to predator color scheme:

2. A separate color palette for AI characters in salt mines. Currently they use the same palette as player character so frequently it is really hard to tell, who is who (I only checked mines with Oleander, not sure about other characters).
3. Lock player during screen transitions. Currently you can move pretty far from the entrance of the screen during transition which sometimes is disorienting.

Alevgor

Canis Imaginatus
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
May I also suggest something like high-res texture mode for stages? Or maybe adjustments to some of the textures that look too blurry comparing to other (mostly objects/ground surface on foreground).

Also you probably know that background characters still have blending problems with other background objects (probably in places where both have alpha values between min and max).

Last edited:

ltowns

TAF Pony
Mane6 Developer
Feb 15, 2016
The Mitten State
www.ltowns.com
May I also suggest something like high-res texture mode for stages? Or maybe adjustments to some of the textures that look too blurry comparing to other (mostly objects/ground surface on foreground).

Also you probably know that background characters still have blending problems with other background objects (probably in places where both have alpha values between min and max).
The blurry textures issue was pointed out to me, and I will be replacing some assets that are really bad, though frankly I don't have the time or resources to do a complete overhaul. There are a few more foreground assets I'd like to add, though, especially in corners (I never realized how much of a fight takes place in the corner!)

As for bg characters, I've never been able to figure out how to improve the weird edges. Some have them, some don't, but it's caused by them being transparent images on a face instead of a 3d object (Like buildings and such). I can only hope it isn't too terribly distracting.

Either way, thanks for your feebdack!

Alevgor

Canis Imaginatus
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Thank you for the response.
Some engines have problems with multiple overlapping partially transparent objects, maybe it is one of them.

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

ltowns

TAF Pony
Mane6 Developer
Feb 15, 2016
The Mitten State
www.ltowns.com
Did you guys closed online game?? i cannot play quick matches nor pixel lobbies anymore :S
Are you still having this problem? Be sure to check that Steam is not in offline mode, and test whether or not you can connect to the internet using a browser. If you're still unable to connect, please make an error report here!

Feb 23, 2018
How would the skill capping work? The most sensible way to gauge skill in a fighting game I can think of, would be to measure how much damage the player can do with a combo on average while factoring in the general win/loss ratio (for cases where the player is good at executing combos but bad at setting them up.)
I would assume that "level" would be mesured by your performance in ranked matches. A lot of games have systems like this to rank thier players

LLHero25

Master of Illogical Logic
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Bowie, MD
Quick Question, have the backer tags for our profiles in game been implemented? I didn't see them when playing and was curious since I saw Nappy have one in Maximillion's video with them fighting. I'm thinking I might have just missed something.

Lurk

Feb 17, 2018
Quick Question, have the backer tags for our profiles in game been implemented? I didn't see them when playing and was curious since I saw Nappy have one in Maximillion's video with them fighting. I'm thinking I might have just missed something.
They were temporarily removed in the most recent patch.

Reactions: LLHero25

SmokeRulz

Where there is smoke, there is fire!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
At first, literally everyone playing the game had backer flairs, which was just a holdover from the beta. They were removed in the 2/24 patch, and they're gonna re-add them into the game in a later patch and send us all codes on BackerKit so we can enable them in-game.

edzepp

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
May 26, 2017
Any updates, guys? Been about a week and I can't wait to see where things are headed.

tortoiseandcrow

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Oct 17, 2016
Are there plans to add animations to the background characters? I really want to see those sad wet llamas heave great big sighs in the rain while they chew their grass.

Reactions: Bucaramangaman

Warnerwob

Dec 22, 2018
Whhhyyyy? Im not able to get any access to a computer for at least one and a half week
Waited for this almost half a year and this is going to be a torture

Reactions: ty4brawl