TFH CEOtaku feebdack

Mr Peck

Sep 28, 2017
UK
ctmatthews.com
Hi! I played Them's Fightin' Herds at CEOtaku last weekend and asked Mane6's twitter account where to post feebdack. They said to create a thread in this forum, so here I am!

To give an idea of my fighting game playstyle, I like to play glass cannon characters with heavy projectile zoning and high mobility. Here's one of my sets from the Skullgirls tournament at the event:
Anyway, TFH feebdack! Remember that I haven't played the game that much and I didn't have access to movelists etc, so these things could be completely wrong.

• I really like the game overall! Everyone was easy to pick up and play, especially as a Skullgirls player. Other players at the event were doing mixups and combos in no time too. I can't wait for more characters to round out the roster, especially grapplers.
  • The double-tap dash input seems VERY lenient; maybe 20+ frames between the two taps? I accidentally got a lot of dashes and backdashes when I didn't want them.
  • Overall damage seems low to me, even when watching streams of players with much more optimal combos than myself. Rounds seem to take a very long time.
  • I really don't like the feel of Velvet having no low normals whatsoever. I saw at least one other player immediately fall in love with her playstyle and moveset, only to lose all interest in her the moment he found out none of her normals were lows. Even if her only low was a slow crouching B or C, and even if she received the appropriate nerfs to keep things fair, I think it would make a big difference in how fun she is to play and how much freedom players have to go for playstyles that suit their strengths. Just to make it extra clear: I don't think she's too weak and I don't think Full Rushdown Velvet should be a thing, but I think that giving her a single low normal (which could be slow/crappy) and balancing her around it would make her much more fun and allow her to participate in more of the game.
  • I also don't like Oleander's current mix of extremely strong teleports and extremely slow non-teleport movement, and I feel like it may end up heavily limiting her potential playstyle variety (see also: Justice in GGAC+R and Double in vanilla/SDE Skullgirls). Then again, it might just be my personal preference for fast characters (see my Peacock playstyle above). On the bright side, her projectiles are awesome!
  • I worry that offense might not be strong enough overall. MvC2/SG-style pushblocking with simultaneous high+low block during the PB animation is very strong, especially when you can OS a pushblock input and a throw tech (like MvC2) and when throws seem important for some/most characters and the throw tech window seems large (both unlike MvC2). The lack of assists and multi-hit moves means it feels very hard to stay close to the opponent after getting pushblocked. I haven't seen any rushdown characters able to get in *and stay in* enough for it to feel like an appropriate reward for getting in on a zoner.
  • Paprika's A/B/C teleports (run off screen, run back on screen) felt like you'd be able to option select against all 3 of them on reaction and get a guaranteed punish unless there was already some food active. I know that's the same as saying that Oleander's ground A/B teleports suck without a fireball on screen, but Paprika only gets 6 projectiles per round as far as I know so it feels weird for the move to have no other utility. I had very little Paprika experience so I probably just didn't immediately understand the move's other uses.
  • The overhead dive on Pom's flying dog seems sorta crazy compared to her other summons, but I guess that's just how her mixups work. People liked playing as her!
  • Tianhuo and Arizona are cool!
Hope this helps, and good luck with the rest of the beta!

Last edited:

Lanxide

I wish I was cool
Feb 3, 2016
Melbourne Fl
What the actual heck!
TFH was at CEOtaku? I was looking all around the area trying to find a setup and went around asking multiple people about it to only get the answer "never heard of it" or "what's that". I asked Sonicfox if he brought his copy to only hear him say that his version was outdated.
I gave up on my search and went back to playing Uniel. Really wanted to play it too.
Tianhuo and Arizona are cool!
I laughed more than I should have.

Mr Peck

Sep 28, 2017
UK
ctmatthews.com
I played it in hotel rooms with Skullgirls players. I don't think anyone had a setup that they were comfortable bringing into the main ballroom.

Reysol

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Which streams did you watch? Cause there's some pretty good combo damage currently.

Mr Peck

Sep 28, 2017
UK
ctmatthews.com
Which streams did you watch? Cause there's some pretty good combo damage currently.
Not sure what the players' names were, but most full combos seemed to be doing 20-30% (or less if juggle decay was already built up from a previous combo, of course) and heavy stray hits were doing 3-4% at most. Combos into super could do more, but combos seemed to build much less than 1 bar. So killing a character would often take 4 clean hits into combo, or more if you go for tight oki/resets. Let me know if that's inaccurate!

Last edited:

Reysol

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Not sure what the players' names were, but most full combos seemed to be doing 20-30% (or less if juggle decay was already built up from a previous combo, of course) and heavy stray hits were doing 3-4% at most. Combos into super could do more, but combos seemed to build much less than 1 bar. So killing a character would often take 4 clean hits into combo, or more if you go for tight oki/resets. Let me know if that's inaccurate!
The 4 hits into combo sound about right. Gam probably has the crazy damage stuff in my opinion. You can see some gameplay here of Gam

Also I think it's just me but I can't view video links on this forum so I hope it works for you.

Mr Peck

Sep 28, 2017
UK
ctmatthews.com
Thanks for the link! I stand by what I said about damage feeling too low for me, but it could be personal preference. All the fighting games I think are cool (Skullgirls, Guilty Gear, Street Fighter 2/3, Vampire Savior, MvC series etc) have higher damage and shorter matches than this, but there are probably other games out there with lower damage and longer matches.

Reactions: PinkieFTW

Arcanel

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I feel like the whole thing about how much you need to kill someone is definitely personal preference stuff and might be down to what kind of games you're used to playing as a whole. Me personally (I'm a Tianhuo main by the way), I'm perfectly fine with needing 3-4 combos to actually kill someone. Makes it feel like you really need to work to actually get the win in the round and might make things more interesting too. My own BnB does 1.6K off of a j.C and that's a bit less than 1/3 of Arizona's /Paprika's life and you know, I think that's fine. But like you said, personal preference and all that.

Mr Peck

Sep 28, 2017
UK
ctmatthews.com
I played TFH again at Revolution last weekend in London! My only additional feebdack is:

• I still like the game!
  • Tianhuo's movement is awesome. I love games with fast movement, and I wish the other characters' movement speed was a tiny bit closer to hers.
  • Meter gain feels very low for the most part. I could build a lot of meter as Oleander by landing a hit with full magic and ending a combo with jC qcf+C qcf+D double jump back hold D (to get 2-3 magic back during the wall splat), but other characters seemed to build less than half a bar per combo. Supers are cool, and I wish people got to use them more.
  • I still think the damage is low. I could hit for ~2200 damage midscreen as Oleander from a jB start if I had 3 magic and 1 meter to spend, but meter seems rare across the cast and meterless damage still feels low overall.

Mr Peck

Sep 28, 2017
UK
ctmatthews.com
After playing the Frosty Faustings build I don't think the game is for me any more. I'm still not a fan of Oleander's focus on setplay using Fred/teleports or Velvet's complete lack of low normals (yes I know one of her specials hits low), so there aren't any characters I want to play. But much more importantly, I'm very worried that the new defensive mechanics will cause top tier offense to be based around finding setplay patterns that have no holes even while IBing, and forcing people to burn meter on alpha counters just to attempt to escape.

The good news is that it's just my opinion. I dislike pressure in Melty Blood and modern ArcSys games for the same reason, and those are popular regardless. So if you were already interested in the game before reading this, still give it a try!