Tabletop Gaming

Silver Lining

Dwarf casts Fireball! *throws gunpowder barrel*
Backers' Beta Tester
Who else enjoys tabletop RPGs? Personally, I've played mostly with modified 3.5 systems (Star Wars, Pathfinder) with a bit of dabbling in Fate, Ubiquity, Savage Worlds and Anima. Recently picked up 13th Age, I love how it's designed.

Ooh, and also card games. MTG decks? Best CAH plays? Plenty of other games in that genre worth mentioning...

CrpCrwls

This dim light which falls from the stars...
Feb 6, 2016
I love tabletop, unfortunately I live away from any big city and don't know how to drive, so I can't play. I used to play almost once a week while I was studying in the city though, there was a group which meet in the back room of the local game store. A few people only played but quite a few were alternating between playing an GMing their own game so I got to try a bunch of stuff. I've mostly played Hawkmoon and Warhammer, but I got a few session of Cyberpunk, one of Shadowrun, one of D&D second edition (I think it was second edition... not sure), got two sessions of The One Ring... and lots of other games I don't remember right now.

I used to try and make deks for Magic when I was younger but same problem, couldn't find other player nearby, and also buying cards kinda cost a lot...

SubrosianDimitri

The King of Poor Decision Making
Crowdfund Backer
I have 4 MTG decks, they are as follows:

1) Blue Control deck (that doesn't have enough control)
2) Red and Green Aggro (With lots of creatures that I'm never able to get out.
3) Black and White "Pink Power" Extort (7 player game, 3 extorts, gimmie 18 life)
4) Black Zombie (I need some Innistrad zombies, or just better zombies in general)

I also want to build a black and blue ninja deck and maybe also a samurai deck, since I'm one of the few people who actually enjoyed Kamigawa. Though that set was happening when I started, so I guess I have a bit of an attachment to it.

Also, no board gaming session is complete without at least one game of Ticket to Ride.

Reactions: Silver Lining

Silver Lining

Backers' Beta Tester
I love tabletop, unfortunately I live away from any big city and don't know how to drive, so I can't play. I used to play almost once a week while I was studying in the city though, there was a group which meet in the back room of the local game store. A few people only played but quite a few were alternating between playing an GMing their own game so I got to try a bunch of stuff. I've mostly played Hawkmoon and Warhammer, but I got a few session of Cyberpunk, one of Shadowrun, one of D&D second edition (I think it was second edition... not sure), got two sessions of The One Ring... and lots of other games I don't remember right now.

I used to try and make deks for Magic when I was younger but same problem, couldn't find other player nearby, and also buying cards kinda cost a lot...
Mmm, I think I know a couple things that could help you with both of those.

For tabletop RPGs, there's an awesome, free, web-based system on Roll20 that works for playing online really well. It has a lot of amazing tools for running and playing games. If enough people are interested here, we could make online groups.

As for MTG, there's this downloadable, free client called Cockatrice that works for card games in general. The base card set is pretty much everything from MTG, and it can connect for online games too.

Maybe not as satisfying to some players as having the physical versions of each, but they're still pretty awesome imo.
I have 4 MTG decks, they are as follows:

1) Blue Control deck (that doesn't have enough control)
2) Red and Green Aggro (With lots of creatures that I'm never able to get out.
3) Black and White "Pink Power" Extort (7 player game, 3 extorts, gimmie 18 life)
4) Black Zombie (I need some Innistrad zombies, or just better zombies in general)

I also want to build a black and blue ninja deck and maybe also a samurai deck, since I'm one of the few people who actually enjoyed Kamigawa. Though that set was happening when I started, so I guess I have a bit of an attachment to it.

Also, no board gaming session is complete without at least one game of Ticket to Ride.
Ooh, my best friend bought a whole lot of the Kamigawa set because he wanted to make ninja and samurai decks. They're actually pretty terrifying, because we tend to not restrict card sets and there are a lot of good, recent cards for unblockable creatures.

Ticket to Ride? This is something I need to research.

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
I played Scion over Skype for a few years. That was good fun. It's a tabletop RPG by White Wolf, but instead of the usual fantasy setting, it takes place in modern day, and the player characters are the semi-divine children of gods from any of several pantheons. I was a GM for one game, then played Shinto, Loa, and Gaelic scions in other games.

I played a bit of Magic during 7th Edition (I think) and Mirrodin, but all my cards are tucked away in binders since I lack people to play with now. I mostly favored Red decks.

I used to be obsessed with the Yu-Gi-Oh card game during its first few sets. Also had the Gameboy Advance titles and played the heck out of those. Gave all my cards to a friend to sell for me after a few years, but never saw any money from them. =/

When I heard they were making an Lawyer Friendly Equines card game, I jumped on that immediately. I primarily favored Pink, but I loved playing any sort of deck. Played for two sets, then lost my other player. Now those are also stored in binders.

I am not currently active with any tabletop RPGs or trading card games, but I love board games in general. I don't get as many chances to play as I used to, but I love stuff like Catan, Carcassonne, and Ticket to Ride. I also regularly play backgammon with my dad (and usually win~).

Crym4x

What do you mean i can't use a bucket as a hat
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
Canberra, Australia
I have a couple MTG decks but nothing really special

A Black-Red Aggro deck mainly my 2 trump cards are 6 cost demons which slowly whittle away the opponents life, while the 0/6 defenders take most of the brunt, with a few gravekeepers to keep the demons in the game if they do perish

and a Green-White Mana Flood deck (not standard), where i practically have near infinite mana with with many 1 cost and 2 cost cards with a lot of enchantments and cards that give +1/+1 counters till i can get one of My Warden of the First Tree out and boost him up with his ability

Szkieletor

Ngasta! Kvata! Kvakis!
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Been playing tabletop RPGs for nearly half my life.
Savage Worlds is my favorite system, I also played Call of Cthulhu, DnD 3.5, 4e, Vampire: The Masquarade, Mage, Gumshoe, Fallout PnP, Warhammer, and a few smaller ones that escape me at the moment. I mostly GM but I do like playing.
Right now involved as GM in a FoE and Fallout campaigns, and playing in a superhero Savage Worlds campaign. The last one is especially fun since I'm playing an average Joe pretending to be a superhero, and the rest of the party has no clue so far.

I used to play MtG but dropped it because I just couldn't get into it seriously.
There's a fantasy/tabletop club in my town with meetings each week so there's always someone to play with. Settlers of Catan and Bang! must be two of my favorites from the club's stash.
I'm currently debating the purchase of XCOM Board Game, too. If anyone has anything to say about it, I'd be glad to hear it!

I love tabletop, unfortunately I live away from any big city and don't know how to drive, so I can't play.
[snip]
I second Silver Lining's recommendation of Roll20 and Cockatrice. The only reasons I'm not playing on Roll20 are timezone problems, and my irregular schedule. But I've seen how it works and it's the second best thing to being there in person, especially if everyone has mics and webcams.
There are online versions of many popular board games too, I know for sure there's online CAH called "Pretend You're XYZZY" or something like that, and I swear I've online Settler of Catan somewhere...

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Who else enjoys tabletop RPGs? Personally, I've played mostly with modified 3.5 systems (Star Wars, Pathfinder) with a bit of dabbling in Fate, Ubiquity, Savage Worlds and Anima. Recently picked up 13th Age, I love how it's designed.

Ooh, and also card games. MTG decks? Best CAH plays? Plenty of other games in that genre worth mentioning...
I play 13th Age almost once a week :D

Love that game!

Max APogee

Five gold and a party!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Kent, UK
www.facebook.com
Tabletop gaming is something I'm slowly getting into. I bought Pandemic a while back and have had lots of fun with that, and I've played steam versions of a few other games.

I've not had chance to play any tabletop RPGs though, aside from having very little time, I don't really know too many people where I live who'd like to play games like that :( Ever since I saw Will Wheaton's 'Titansgrave' last year I've been gagging for a chance to have a go at that. The Fantasy AGE system used looks really elegant and easy to understand for a complete novice, like myself, and the campaign story was really interesting. I was trying to arrange a group to have a go on another forum, but nothing ever came of that, sadly.

CrpCrwls

This dim light which falls from the stars...
Feb 6, 2016
For tabletop RPGs, there's an awesome, free, web-based system on Roll20 that works for playing online really well. It has a lot of amazing tools for running and playing games. If enough people are interested here, we could make online groups.
Well I had tried another web based system with some other players from a forum and it really didn't feel the same as actual tabletop. I do play on a chatroom for a RPG based on a web serie but it's still different and I do miss more classic and more group oriented RPGs...
The problem is that while I write english well enough my prononciation on the other hand, is horrible. There seem to be very few french games on roll20, still it's better than nothing... Oh just found out there is a "text only" option, maybe there is more choice in there after all...

Sutekh94

Veteran of being taken over by robots or something
Crowdfund Backer
I haven't played Magic with other people since the first Zendikar block... I got interested in it around the time Kamigawa was new, but I couldn't find anybody else to play with thanks to the fact that I lived in a small, rural town (still do) where literally nobody else played Magic. Every now and again, I'd get my dad to take me to the city so I could play Friday Night Magic at the card shop, where I didn't win much of anything, to be honest. I guess I just couldn't really get into the game, and, eventually, I lost interest in playing. Believe it or not, I still have a couple of decks from those days:
  • A blue/white/black control deck, nothing too special.
  • A red/green/black Jund deck, revolving around lots of big creatures.
The rest of the cards I've collected over the years are tucked away in a box upstairs. And yes, all the stories you may have heard about the game being pretty expensive are true. XD

As far as other card games go, me and a few of my friends occasionally play an online version of Cards Against Humanity, "Pretend You're Xyzzy". Of course, it gets ridiculous really quickly. While I'm thinking about it, I'm wondering if anybody else here has Tabletop Simulator.

Silver Lining

Backers' Beta Tester
Yeah, I've got Tabletop Simulator, complete with Superfight. And a bunch of mods for things like Cards Against Humanity and a lot of other things I don't remember atm, cause I haven't got a lot of people to play with it.

And I've played enough on Xyzzy to know that I'm a terrible, terrible person :p

Talen-Jei

Gureato Daze
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 8, 2016
Louisiana
I love tabletop gaming... In some instances, more so than video games. I own a few hundred dollars worth of D&D 5e stuff, with no plans of stopping anytime soon. (Though I bought the DM Guide, Player's Handbook, Campaign Book, and a bunch of dice from a friend all for $40, so that was an absolute steal.)

I'm about to finish a campaign (I DM), as the players really only have the Main Baddie to face. It'll be a memorable moment, as it was our very first campaign. When that finishes, I'm going to soon start a brand new campaign, in which will be more strict with the rules, and much more paths to choose from. I've been planning this for a long while, so I'm super excited for it.

Necroceine

One Fiery Birdie
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Connecticut, USA
I've mentioned it a couple times already but I've been involved with Pathfinder for about 3 or 4 years now. I always play over Skype, with MapTool/Mote or Roll20. I really like the setting Paizo has and they tell some pretty good stories but the system itself is kind of showing its age. Even with Pathfinder Unchained, it's still chained to being so based on D&D at its core. I'd really like Paizo to make a new system from the ground up, honestly. I'm sure I'll keep playing Pathfinder because all my friends do, but at the same time I'm looking at other systems to GM.

Right now I've got a 13th Age one- or two-shot planned for my group. It's still a d20 system, yes, but they have a lot of good ideas, many of which address the biggest problems I've found with Pathfinder. It's definitely more of its own thing.

Anyway, I'm not saying Pathfinder sessions aren't fun. They definitely can be. But there's also still a lot of rules checking breaking up the action. Most of the fun is from the story side of things, character building, and getting lucky rolls. I think I'd like a simpler system. Or just sticking to low-mid levels.

I also play Magic. I've got two commander decks and some incomplete decks. One of my commander decks is a black/white Teysa. It used to be heavily extort based and my first run with it I got up to 100 life. Then everyone else playing decided to never let that happen again and I got lucky anyway. There weren't really enough extort cards for a 100 card deck. Or at least I didn't have them. Now it's an enchantment deck based primarily on building up Teysa to attack right past any creature for heavy damage.

My other commander deck used to be for Riku of Two Reflections but I dropped the red cards and changed it to a Vorel of the Hull Clade deck, focusing on getting as many +1/+1 counters spread about as possible with some pretty good mana ramp. It's got some evolve creatures and a bunch of hydras with a few untap effects so I can use Vorel's doubling more than once a round. One of my favorite combos in the deck is having Sakiko, Mother of Summer after one of my huge creatures attacks, and then using all that mana on a hyrdra with an X cost like Palukranos the World Eater's monstrosity, Protean Hydra, Feral Hydra, Genesis Hydra, or especially Hydra Broodmaster. X X/X hydra tokens is so beautiful to see when X could fairly easily be 15 with this deck. I once was one turn from turning a Cloudfin Raptor (0/1 flier with evolve) into a 40/41 creature by double tapping Vorel.

snowyblitz

The poofiest of ponies.
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
I'm a big MtG player myself. I don't really keep up with Standard though. Lately I run a U/B/R Eldrazi deck.

For tabletop games I play Ponyfinder, and several board games. Lately it's been Arkham Horror.

BypenThynDragon

I for one welcom our new ruler Smugdeer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I GM'd some Unforgotten Realms with some friends once, they didn't care for it though ;(