Super Smash Brothers Ultimate

Cinnamaldehyde

DDR Savant
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 10, 2016
Lake Stevens
I was surprised to come back this weekend and not see a thread for this!
"Spoilers" should be assumed in this thread but feel free to put them on anyways!

What do you think about Ridly?

What do you think about that terrible 1v1 with Bayonetta?

Wave dashing?...

More characters announced closer to release or DLC

Whatever you want to talk about. I want to listen. on the weekends because I'm busy with work...

Reactions: Delusional Dreamer

Lurk

Feb 17, 2018
If it’s anything like the past two games, expect at least one joke character addition (like ROB or Duck Hunt)

Lurk

Feb 17, 2018
I hope we get a video on any new game mechanics if there are any. The roster looks nice, but it felt like they put a little too much focus on the roster and not much on anything else.

super hurricane

Feb 13, 2016
Needs a certain One Winged Angel and a red pineapple-haired macho man to be in the villains roster...as well as a adventure mode.

SmokeRulz

Where there is smoke, there is fire!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
All that needs to be said is: RIDLEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

No but seriously he's like the only character I've wanted for 17 years running. (I also want Shovel Knight but he hasn't been around for 17 years) It made me happy beyond compare. The rest of the roster being there is pretty slick too, though.

What do you think about that terrible 1v1 with Bayonetta?

Wave dashing?...

More characters announced closer to release or DLC?
1. She hasn't been completely dealt with yet. Triple jump glitch is still there, which is part of why that happened. Plup also was using a new character he had no idea how to use, just to make the crowd happy, probably. Some nerfs have already been confirmed in her by playtesters, though, so you can expect she'll be hit more by the time the game is out.

2. Confirmed to not exist. They aren't putting that back in.

3. There very obviously will be more characters announced, just don't expect a LOT more. DLC is possible but with a roster this big, do we REALLY need anymore?

If it’s anything like the past two games, expect at least one joke character addition (like ROB or Duck Hunt)
bruh did you talk garbage about my boy ROB, the savior of Nintendo, cause I'll cut a fish :Velvet:

I hope we get a video on any new game mechanics if there are any. The roster looks nice, but it felt like they put a little too much focus on the roster and not much on anything else.
Yes, uh, that was the entire point of this. To drop the bombshell that we were getting the ENTIRE roster, AS WELL as new mechanics (did you miss that part?) and some stuff about stages (84 confirmed so far, holy crap) and assist trophies and what not. Obviously they're saving talk of other stuff like single player, additional modes, online play, etc. for a future Direct. They already took around 25+ minutes on THIS presentation as it was, AND the game is still being developed.

It IS worth nothing that some stuff got confirmed in the interim that I'm surprised they didn't tell us during the presentation, such as the fact that stage hazards can now be disabled. And I'm not talking about the Battlefield and Omega forms they DID announce, I mean stage hazards can be outright turned off now. That's a game-changer right there.

CrazyBob05

Feb 9, 2016
The hype train hit me going at full-throttle. I'm ecstatic about this. Cloud Strife and Solid Snake both return to Smash

Invader TAK

Master of Random
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
Northern Illinois
Let's be clear. We're getting a game where Mario, Solid Snake, Sonic the Hedgehog, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu, Cloud Strife and Bayonetta can fight each other in the same MATCH. Oh and Ridley is no longer too big.

BypenThynDragon

I for one welcom our new ruler Smugdeer
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Let's be clear. We're getting a game where Mario, Solid Snake, Sonic the Hedgehog, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu, Cloud Strife and Bayonetta can fight each other in the same MATCH. Oh and Ridley is no longer too big.
Yes, and no, Ridley is still too big

Nadia

Feb 4, 2016
Germany
Mhhh if they now add Simon Belmond in his Japanese and Western Design, the I could consider to buy a switch. ö.ö

super hurricane

Feb 13, 2016
All Ridley needs is a mushroom to grow. In any case, I'm not sure if a boss rush is needed...I'd prefer a new Smash Run Adventure Mode if anything, to clash with the various boss minions from different games and collecting powerups. I am hopeful that Captain Falcon will finally get to fight his evil counterpart Blood Falcon as a alternate fighter since he has yet to get any allies.

Tunnel_Rhino526

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 6, 2016
I am hopeful that Captain Falcon will finally get to fight his evil counterpart Blood Falcon as a alternate fighter since he has yet to get any allies.
I would prefer Black Shadow instead of Blood Falcon. He could be Ganondorf's Echo Fighter and have all moves Ganondorf had in the previous games that the sword replaced.

SmokeRulz

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I'm STILL exhausted from that Direct.

I would prefer Black Shadow instead of Blood Falcon. He could be Ganondorf's Echo Fighter and have all moves Ganondorf had in the previous games that the sword replaced.
That's... not how Echo Fighters work. They're going to have the same moves and animations, so if Ganon had an Echo, they'd keep the sword.

But if you're curious, the sword replaced all three of his Smash attacks, which were already different from Captain Falcon, so someone else getting them back wouldn't be an Echo of either one of them.

Lurk

Feb 17, 2018
Hoping the game has a nod to the finally released Star Fox 2.

super hurricane

Feb 13, 2016
Minor note, but they added Isabelle from Animal Crossing...which raises questions on who now has ownership of the town.

Lurk

Feb 17, 2018
Looks like Isabelle’s stage music is a remix of a song from Happy Home Designer.

SmokeRulz

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Getting closer and closer. I wonder if there's anymore characters left to reveal?
There is. Sakurai already said the entire cast is being revealed before release, and that there's a bit more still to come. Until he says "here is the last character," then you haven't seen the last character. (Plus many assume DLC is in the cards)

It's generally assumed there's going to be one more Smash Direct, possibly early to mid November, where the rest of the base cast will be revealed, as well as info on all the other stuff they haven't shared with us yet, like all the missing modes, and that mystery, blurry, green-colored mode whose name was likely already figured out.

ty4brawl

Feed b ack
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
FL
discord.gg
There is. Sakurai already said the entire cast is being revealed before release, and that there's a bit more still to come. Until he says "here is the last character," then you haven't seen the last character. (Plus many assume DLC is in the cards)

It's generally assumed there's going to be one more Smash Direct, possibly early to mid November, where the rest of the base cast will be revealed, as well as info on all the other stuff they haven't shared with us yet, like all the missing modes, and that mystery, blurry, green-colored mode whose name was likely already figured out.
True. I'm also surprised there's not more echoes.

Any relevant conventions between now and release?

SmokeRulz

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
True. I'm also surprised there's not more echoes.

Any relevant conventions between now and release?
Not really, no. It's most likely just going to be an online streamed Direct as usual. They aren't going to announce it until a day or two before it happens, though.

And there's a good amount of Echoes and they'll likely add a few more. They aren't going to slam the roster full of them because that'd be way too much.

SmokeRulz

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Apparently there's a roster leak out there somewhere. Not gonna look into it myself.
Lots of evidence that it's fake. But good on you. Even on the chance that it's real, don't ruin the surprise for yourself. More people need to keep that mindset.

SmokeRulz

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
The time is upon us. The final Smash Ultimate Direct is set for November 1st, set for 40 minutes long:
7 AM PT
10 AM ET
2 PM GMT

Match your timezone and get ready~

Lurk

Feb 17, 2018
Here’s the lyrical theme from yesterday’s Direct...

SmokeRulz

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
That theme is everything. That Direct was everything.

ty4brawl

Feed b ack
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
FL
discord.gg
Is piranha plant one of the 5 or just a bonus? If so what's the stage and is it just bringing more Mario songs?

SmokeRulz

Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Is piranha plant one of the 5 or just a bonus? If so what's the stage and is it just bringing more Mario songs?
He's not one of the 5, he's a free bonus if you get the game within the first two months. He won't have a stage or music.