Super hexagon/open hexagon

hawthornbunny

Fights like a cow
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016

I can't help it, the hexagons are everywhere. ^.^ Anyone played this insanely difficult game? Without their eyeballs turning inside-out? The original was Super Hexagon, but there's an open source version called Open Hexagon which is pretty good. Both have great soundtracks.

DShou

Tianhuo is Best Longma
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
dshou.deviantart.com
Oh, never heard of Open Hexagon before, interesting.

I got Super Hexagon myself considering it's dirt cheap a few years back, I'm still mad that I beat the game but didn't get the final Steam achievement, final level too difficult for me D:

bibliogeek

Sick of tea? That's like being sick of breathing!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
DC
sweet mother of mercy, that looks really fun...and really painful for your eyes

hawthornbunny

Fights like a cow
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Hexagonest kicks my butt and I can't get past it. :<
I don't have the reflexes for the game at all (although I only played Open Hexagon). I have this theory that Terry Kavanagh is maybe just a little bit more superhuman than most people, as his games seem to take place at speeds that are just above my reaction speed. VVVVVV was another offender. :)

bibliogeek

Sick of tea? That's like being sick of breathing!
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
DC
I already deal with bad eyesight, I just want to avoid making my eyes bleed.
Maybe.

DShou

Tianhuo is Best Longma
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
dshou.deviantart.com
I think after a while, players just fall into a kind of hyperattentive gaming trance
It's less sensitive on some people then others too which helps.

It also helps a lot if you don't go full-screen definitely so your whole vision doesn't turn into rotation colors, especially if the game reaches out of your focal sight. It's easy to get lost if you look around too much for these games.

CosmicDashie

Dank may-mays
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Canadia
Wow I forgot about this game, and the pain it inflicted on me back in the day

you get within like .1ms of the goal AND DIE SDFASGQERGRVBWRBT

Necroceine

One Fiery Birdie
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Connecticut, USA
I just picked Sorry Hexagon up recently at a friend's suggestion. I've only gotten to square on hard but it is very fun and I love the music.

Crym4x

What do you mean i can't use a bucket as a hat
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
Canberra, Australia
One of the best difficult games I ever played I was sooooooo happy when I finished hyper hexagonestestest (I think it's 3 est at the end it's been awhile)

Edit : or it was hardestestest....I should check when I get home

Charles

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I love this game so much. The best way I can describe it to people is by saying that it's like playing a whole game, from top to bottom, which would normally take many hours, and condensing it into a single minute long experience. I love it so much.

I have tried Open Hexagon but I found it a little too different from Super Hexagon. I spent long enough learning to play that game for longer than a minute at a time dammit!

Adwins

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
ha, just push left/right to avoid stuff? ha, so easy,right? RIGHT?? HAHAH ahaha...

>cries

neopokekun

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 5, 2016
There is also a Commodore 64 version called Micro Hexagon, it was an entry in the 2013 16KB Cartridge Competition (where you, obviously, have to make a game that fits on a 16 kilobyte cartridge). It was made with permission from Terry Cavanagh, not sure if it will get a more complete version like Super Bread Box (C64 version of Super Crate Box) did.

Reactions: SubrosianDimitri