Summer Steam Sale 2016 (Credit Card Debt Simulator)

Can you resist the might of Lord Gaben?

• Bah! I can get through this sale without buying anything

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • I might buy 1 or 2 games, but nothing excessive

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • OK, I bought more than I thought I would, but it wasn't too much

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • 80% OFF!? MY WALLET CAN'T TAKE IT! CURSE YOU GABEN!

• I've emptied out my life savings, but it was 75% off, so it was worth it.

• Total voters

SubrosianDimitri

The King of Poor Decision Making
Crowdfund Backer

The summer steam sale will soon be upon us (June 23rd apparently), which means that tons of people will be unable to make rent or buy food after the next 2 or so weeks. Especially if they bring back daily deals and flash sales after the 2015 Holiday sale got rid of them.

I personally can't add money to my account, and what little I do have is being saved for the release of Mystery Chronicle: One Way Heroics.

I just thought we should have a thread where we discuss what interesting looking games are on sale and what might be worth sharing/buying. If a game you own and recommend is on sale, post it here so others can experience the same levels of fun as you.

Either way, remember to budget yourself accordingly, spend wisely, don't go below -60%, and ignore the previous 3 directives because Gaben will still get you regardless.

Rocketknightgeek

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
It's amazing how much money you can save yourself from spending when you look at every game through the lens of 'can my PC even run this?'

Reactions: A88mph

A88mph

Game Maker and Starship Captain.
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
a88mph.itch.io
It's amazing how much money you can save yourself from spending when you look at every game through the lens of 'can my PC even run this?'
I know. I grew up with my dad's Windows 95 computer, and Starcraft would constantly Blue Screen of Death (I can still hear it's music looping like a broken record during said events).

Even to this day, I still fear my Windows 7 computer games doing the same. Heck, I keep all newer games on the lowest graphical settings so as not to overload the computer.

Norad2

As unprepared for TFH as Pom.
Crowdfund Backer
Jun 21, 2016
Ohio
I know. I grew up with my dad's Windows 95 computer, and Starcraft would constantly Blue Screen of Death (I can still hear it's music looping like a broken record during said events).

Even to this day, I still fear my Windows 7 computer games doing the same. Heck, I keep all newer games on the lowest graphical settings so as not to overload the computer.
Did someone say "Starcraft?"

I don't know about the summer sale, but right now the ARMAs (hyper realistic milsim) and Pillars of Eternity (crpg) have very strong sales.

I opted for Pillars of Eternity, story guy that I am.

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
I'll probably only buy a few games at most. I already have most of the games I really want, with my wishlist mostly being filled with "If I can get it cheap enough" games.

We shall see....

fah_q2

Just some guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I usually stick to buying either a 20$ or 50$ steam card from the store. It moslty depends on how many games I want to buy.

Anukan

Three Worn Words
Mane6 Developer
Feb 2, 2016
Penzance
I'd actually be more tempted to spend all of my paycheck on games for other people than for myself, but ever since steam switched to local currency pricing, I'm not allowed to because games are cheaper for me than they are in the US. There's several games I'd like to get for friends (EVERYONE MUST PLAY BASTION), and would be willing to cough up US retail price for, but can't.

That said, I'll probably be buying any Assassin's Creed game after 3 that goes under $10, and probably not much else.

Reactions: baxdab

Alevgor

Canis Imaginatus
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Winter sale was meh, maybe next one will be more interesting.

Crayv

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I honestly can't think of any games that I want really, so I doubt I will be buying much.

Oh and I don't think anything will beat the 2011 Summer Sale.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
... entire franchise discounted right out of the gate. gg. I'm done.
They are all watching..... Maybe they set a few robots on this site the moment this thread cropped up.

upload_2016-6-23_20-45-13.png

Just the games I wanted, yaaay!

Anukan

Three Worn Words
Mane6 Developer
Feb 2, 2016
Penzance
View attachment 838
Just the games I wanted, yaaay!
Yep. Same here. I've been trying to throw money at them for the last hour without success.

Can't wait to find out later all the requests did go through the 503 errors and I just spent $5000 on buying the same game over and over and over

Also, because someone linked it in Discord.

Last edited:

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Yep. Same here. I've been trying to throw money at them for the last hour without success.

Can't wait to find out later all the requests did go through the 503 errors and I just spent $5000 on buying the same game over and over and over
Glad to see the money we raised going to important stuff. Albeit if stuff like that happens support is usually kind enough to respond and help you. I have no idea why people badmouth Steam support, as long as you act like a normal human being (read: not a twat) they help you quite willingly.

Edit: In one of that rare moments when Steam managed to load, it threw this into my queue
Not gonna buy it though.

Last edited:

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Well, Steam controller is on sale, but I want to buy a drawing tablet as well and have no money for both of them. Dang.
As a related note, Anu (or Oreo and Cam might be better), how good would you think Steam Controller would work with TFH? In the comfort/playability department due to the weirdly placed buttons.

Edit: I just noticed it's called Picnic Sale. :D
Also, Castle Crashers is 80% off for those looking for a silly, enjoyable Coop game.

Last edited:

Shadow of Death

Grushdeva Du Kalt Misht
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
steamcommunity.com
Going through a list of my most played games, and excluding those that are particularly well known (Like Borderlands series, TES, Saints Row, etc.), I'll recommend:

Beat Hazard - Nice twin stick shooter that uses your music to generate on-screen objects.http://store.steampowered.com/app/49600
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Though it only has 33% off it's a great RPG. Nearest similar sort of game I can think of is Monster Hunter, though I haven't played much of that series.
Prototype Franchise - Nice bloody action games.
Unreal Tournament Series - Specifically, I rather like the original. The later games have their fans, and UT3, while about a decade old, is still alright as I recall.
Disgaea PC - Yeah, it hasn't been out on PC long, so the discount isn't much (25%), but it's one of the best Tactical Strategy RPGs out there. Well, it's pretty deep, though nowhere near as much as the later games in the series. The more that buy this, the more likely the later titles will make it.
Magicmaker - A fun little game where you mix and match magic 'ingredient's to create interesting, and sometimes powerful effects.
Recettear - I can't recommend this game enough. One part shop management, one part dungeon crawler, and all sorts of charming and amusing. It never got a sequel (spiritual or direct), which is a shame. I would pay all the money for one.
Risk of Rain - An platformer with some action mixed in. A half dozen or so unlockable classes. It's not easy, but it's pretty good.
Rogue Legacy - A 'rogue-lite' action-platformer game where you suffer permadeath with a twist...Your descendant takes over. This is one of like, two Steam games I ever got all the achievements for, so I definitely like it. SEQUEL PLZ!
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - More famous for the horrible mis-management of the studio which lead to bankruptcy. This is still a pretty great game, though it doesn't seem likely we'll get a sequel. It plays a bit like a MMO, with several classes to choose from.

Well, that should tide you over, and maybe rob some of you of your cash, muahahahaha.

I'm totally not an agent of Gaben, honest!

CamTSB

僕は誰なんだろう?
Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
Ontario, Canada
twitter.com
As a related note, Anu (or Oreo and Cam might be better), how good would you think Steam Controller would work with TFH? In the comfort/playability department due to the weirdly placed buttons.
Okay, the first real issue with controllers like that for fighters is that if you are using a pad for them you will most likely want to be using the DPad for movement rather than the analog stick. Now, the Steam Controller doesn't have a proper DPad, it just has that weird touch pad thing on the side that looks like a wonky DPad. It is completely touch pad, and does not have any proper gate to maintain direction pressed, or give you any tactile feebdack as to what direction you are holding. The whole tactile feebdack thing is pretty important with fighting games because knowing you are properly holding down-back or another similar direction is a big plus. This is why most sticks will have a square restrictor gate or a octagon restrictor gate in it. It helps you know just by moving the stick, exactly what position it is in. The octo restrictor on the Gamecube controller is one of the many reasons why that controller is so well loved.

The professional opinion from myself, Klisk, and Oreo, is that we would not use this for a fighting game, mainly due to the inability to tell what direction you are holding. This is why most people don't use the analog stick on a controller either. HOWEVER. This is only our opinion. If you are fine with using the analog stick for movement (or the touch pad, but that is just... so little precision) then by all means, I will not stop you. It has four face buttons which is enough for the game, and as it natively sits in DInput mode it should function fine with the game. As long as you are alright with the layout and with the lack of tactile feebdack, you can use it.

In my info hunting, I came across a lot of people saying they were fairly cheaply made and went through a few controllers a year, so be wary, I guess.

Reactions: Avering

Crayv

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Okay, the first real issue with controllers like that for fighters is that if you are using a pad for them you will most likely want to be using the DPad for movement rather than the analog stick. Now, the Steam Controller doesn't have a proper DPad, it just has that weird touch pad thing on the side that looks like a wonky DPad. It is completely touch pad, and does not have any proper gate to maintain direction pressed, or give you any tactile feebdack as to what direction you are holding. The whole tactile feebdack thing is pretty important with fighting games because knowing you are properly holding down-back or another similar direction is a big plus. This is why most sticks will have a square restrictor gate or a octagon restrictor gate in it. It helps you know just by moving the stick, exactly what position it is in. The octo restrictor on the Gamecube controller is one of the many reasons why that controller is so well loved.

The professional opinion from myself, Klisk, and Oreo, is that we would not use this for a fighting game, mainly due to the inability to tell what direction you are holding. This is why most people don't use the analog stick on a controller either. HOWEVER. This is only our opinion. If you are fine with using the analog stick for movement (or the touch pad, but that is just... so little precision) then by all means, I will not stop you. It has four face buttons which is enough for the game, and as it natively sits in DInput mode it should function fine with the game. As long as you are alright with the layout and with the lack of tactile feebdack, you can use it.

In my info hunting, I came across a lot of people saying they were fairly cheaply made and went through a few controllers a year, so be wary, I guess.
I read that they (Steam controller) were a bit flimsy in a few reviews on Steam.

I have one of these
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-940-000110-Gamepad-F310/dp/B003VAHYQY/ref=cm_rdp_product
It's cheap and it works.

Also, because someone linked it in Discord.

Funny, I seen that exact same video linked in Discord today.

Norad2

As unprepared for TFH as Pom.
Crowdfund Backer
Jun 21, 2016
Ohio
Since I just bought Pillars of Eternity on a good deal just before the sale began, and I still have to complete Fallout 4 and Undertale, I think this sale was over for me before it began.

Plus there's Deus Ex: MD just on the horizon. Gotta save for that!

SubrosianDimitri

The King of Poor Decision Making
Crowdfund Backer
Caved in and bought Panzermadels: Tank Dating Simulator for 5 bucks. Game is trying waaay too hard with all the honorific and random Japanese terms thrown around haphazardly. Panzer IV is essentially, and I really can't believe I'm saying this, a Weeaboo...and I love this game more for it. I'm laughing a ton at the crazy dialogue, the cringe-y dialogue, and the usage of military terminology and history as innuendos.

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
Japanese are weird....
more words
Cool, thanks.
Interestingly, I read rewiews about how awesome the touchpad is for fighting games as you can just swipe your finger around, and the little grooves help a lot in orientation. Albeit I never managed to find anything about longevity, so that's a lot of help. I think I will wait for buying one for the moment then and keep the money for more important stuff.

As to not derail the topic too much: Quite a few programs are on sale as well. Including Game dev ones if you lean in that direction.

Klisk

Mane6 QA
Feb 2, 2016
New Jersey
Another thing to keep in mind with the Steam controller is that it's particularly uncomfortable to use as a traditional controller. The controller is really designed with motion controls in mind - So the most popular way to use it is very similar to how Splatoon plays with gyro controls. It's ergonomics (or lack there of) aren't intended for someone not using gyro aiming. So combine that with the lack of a d-pad and you have a controller that isn't at all meant for fighters or even 2d platformers. It seems more suited for FPS and racing games.

I would definitely buy the wacom tablet instead of the steam controller. If you have an old SNES controller laying around, then you already have a fantastic controller for TFH. All you need to do is pick up the Mayflash USB adapter. The reason I would recommend this over other cheap controller solutions is the fact that the SNES controller's d-pad is godlike. I can't say the same about most other cheap controllers on the market.

baxdab

Totally a backer guys
Jun 25, 2016
baxbound.tumblr.com
There's several games I'd like to get for friends (EVERYONE MUST PLAY BASTION)
MAH MAN. Bastion is only like, one of my favorite games?? This little bit warmed my heart.

But yeah, here's everything I bought in the steam sale thus far. Now that I've done this I think I'm gonna lay off of buying games for a while.

In terms of games that are a good deal, oddly enough Bastion isn't on sale but the company's second game Transistor is. The Stanley Parable is also on sale for cheap, which if you haven't played it yet then you need to. Bioshock is on sale for a great price. Charging 5 dollars for Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a total crime. Lastly, although it isn't on a fantastic sale right now, Guilty Gear Xrd is probably one of the best fighting games on PC right now along with Skullgirls and Street Fighter IV (Which are on good sales rn).

Crayv

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Already spent more than I was intending (wasn't planning on buying anything).

So far I have bought the first Dark Souls and a 4 pack for a game called ShellShock Live (basically Scorched Earth). I have also bought an extra copy of the Stanley Parable to gift to someone later (I actually have quite a few games in my inventory to gift now).

Rich Jammer

By the Numbers Accountant
Backers' Beta Tester
I'm avoiding the Summer Steam Sale by one of the most effective ways possible, Procrastination.

How a weekday goes:
I'm at work, I'll check out the sale when I'm at home.
OK at home, feeling too lazy to turn on computer, I'll do it after dinner.
OK, it's after dinner, I'll just watch this one Youtube vid then check it out.
Falls asleep watching video. OK, I'll do it in the morning.
Wakes up late. Crap! Gotta go to work.
Repeat till weekend.

Saturday:
Gotta hang laundry, I'll check out steam later.
Feel like going out. I'll check it when I get back.
I'll check it out after playing some PS4 games.
Huh, dinner time. I'll check it out after dinner.
After dinner, ok after this one youtube video I'll check it out.
Falls asleep watching video. I'll do it in the morning

Sunday:
Crap gotta iron clothes first. After this I'll check out the sale.
Huh lunchtime, OK I'll eat lunch. I'll watch Netflix while eating.
OK done with Netflix, Oh new episode of Dragonball Super is out, I'll check it out after.
Huh dinner time, ok I'll do it after dinner.
And you know the rest.

Reactions: baxdab and Avering

Avering

Pew-Pew
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Your soup
lotsa munneh
Duuuude! That's more money than I have all around!

Personally haven't bought anything, and will probably just wave as this sale passes by. Maybe wait for a future random sale, or a bundle to get the games I might want.

As for a good deal, the Age of Empires series is at a pretty good price.

fah_q2

Just some guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I was going to buy FF IX but it didn't go on sale. I guess i'll buy Doom and whatever $12 can get me.

Stridershy

The King Of Goat Style
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
The Place Where Goats Are
Serious Sam Collection, and the Saints Row Collection.

I got one more paycheck coming before this ends so I'll eventually buy some more...though nothing is catching my eye.

I'd totally buy the new Doom if my computer could handle it.

Crayv

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I have to say the actual stuff going on sale the and the markdown amounts seem rather good this year but the lack of any kind of event other than just the cards has me a bit disappointed.

Reactions: Stridershy

baxdab

Totally a backer guys
Jun 25, 2016
baxbound.tumblr.com
Serious Sam Collection, and the Saints Row Collection.

I'd totally buy the new Doom if my computer could handle it.
Nice grab on the serious sam collection, those games are great and dirt cheap during sales. Same with Doom tbh, it sounds like my kinda game but my rig is in need of a serious upgrade.

I have to say the actual stuff going on sale the and the markdown amounts seem rather good this year but the lack of any kind of event other than just the cards has me a bit disappointed.
Same man, I miss the crazy events steam used to pull during sales, like the christmas coal lottery or the one summer sale (2011 I think?) where you could earn DLC and a free game by getting achievements in certain games. That was awesome.

Heck, even the Noir themed sale with the ARG was pretty neat. Not sure that I miss flash sales though, those were pesky to keep up with.