Story Mode

Gamerdude854

Pizza Pasta
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 7, 2016
Canada
So any idea's on how exactly the story mode will work? I mean i'm pretty sure we weren't really given much info on the matter yet.

Reactions: Queezeey

Gamerdude854

Pizza Pasta
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 7, 2016
Canada
I'm hoping there's a sort of ability to make decisions, like an rpg rather than a fighting game.
You mean like decision that effect how the story line plays out and such? If so I wouldn't mind having multiple endings and outcomes although it does seem a bit much for a fighting game

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
I do remember the devs saying there would be gameplay bits in between battles that resemble the visual lobby. The big question is what we'll be doing in these areas. There could be NPCs to talk to. Maybe some light puzzle-solving to figure out how to advance the story? There are lots of things they could do with this.

I believe they also said the story would have you play as all of the characters, so I imagine the key will change hooves multiple times, and we'll be playing as whoever currently holds the key. Or we could be taking the key at times as well. Who can say.

Mighty Alicorn Hunter

Predator Representative of the Darkside
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 4, 2016
The Council
You mean like decision that effect how the story line plays out and such? If so I wouldn't mind having multiple endings and outcomes although it does seem a bit much for a fighting game
Basically, yes. I'd want multiple endings at the least, and perhaps NPC interactions as well.

danmiy12

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
Hawaii
Hopefully there is the multiple endings with 1 canon ending so you can just replay story over and over and give single player more content. Also having the visual lobby is an amazing idea as that is where they can place all the npcs to talk to and they shoud update what they say depending on how far you are in the game or disapear from that town if it doesnt make sense for them to be there.

I just hope you can make it so you can accept matches in there or not so that you dont get spammed with fight challenges from real players or have them spoil the story for you or mute all other players if it has to come to that. And of course it needs to not always be online so if the internet goes down you'll be moving around a mostly empty town with the npcs but at least you can play anyways.

Also since you are playing the entire cast you are going to have some trouble here and there if you get say a charge character during this section that might be too hard..maybe that is where the branching desicions come in and you can fight as that character or fight as another?

Queezeey

Fighting game amateur
Feb 4, 2016
a desk
Another good question to ask is who we will be fighting in the story mode. Is it just battles against other Key Keepers? Or are there going to be original characters (possibly predators). If yes, I'd like if they had some actual character than "just a bear". No reason why predators can't have funny / interesting characteristics too.
Either way, I think it's a safe bet there will be some kind of original final boss.

Lanxide

I wish I was cool
Feb 3, 2016
Melbourne Fl
I had a couple of ideas for story mode. One of them being a scenes with dialog/interaction will turn into somewhat like a visual novel style like picture related.

But yet keeping all its RPG element outside of the interaction scenes.
Another idea was to have the story be episodic that releases with every update/patch that will eventually lead up to the true ending.

Laurel Crown

Leader of the Proud Nation of Velvetia
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
By reading all those replies, it gives me BlazBlue vibes.
You know? That fighting game with a freakin' visual novel as the story mode?

Feanor

Proud Velveeta
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Earth
I would be happy with an FF7 type story-mode, with exploration and npc interactions as well as some small puzzle-solving between fights. They could REALLY set this game apart by making the story-mode in-depth and interesting. FF7 did it with graphics similar to our lobby!

Edit: Not to say that I think it will be anywhere as in-depth or complex as FF7 was, but with a little work and Faust magic I'm sure it could be really intriguing!

♥ Vanilla Cream Killy ♥

Crowdfund Backer
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 4, 2016
Australia
I'm definitely on board for the idea of having an in-depth RPG like story mode with NPC's, light puzzle-solving elements, side-quests, branching paths and multiple endings. Adding in other RPG elements like equipment that gives you stat boosts or even variations of certain moves in the same way Super Smash Bros. 4 does. I also like the idea that the story could be episodic, especially considering all the Book of Lore chapters that we've gotten so far are from Volume I.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
I would be happy with an FF7 type story-mode, with exploration and npc interactions as well as some small puzzle-solving between fights. They could REALLY set this game apart by making the story-mode in-depth and interesting. FF7 did it with graphics similar to our lobby!

Edit: Not to say that I think it will be anywhere as in-depth or complex as FF7 was, but with a little work and Faust magic I'm sure it could be really intriguing!
I'm sensing just a little bit of FF7 love. Not sure why tho. And now my mind is converting the cast into ungulates. Though I suppose Nanaki kinda cheats...

That said, what kind of puzzles would work? Ooooh! What if there was an option for CO-OP story mode?

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
Not quite sure how co-op would work in a 1v1 fighting game. :p

I wouldn't say no to things like a branching story with multiple endings, but I was assuming this would be closer to how MKX did its story mode. You play as one character for maybe three or four fights, then the perspective changes, and you're a different character for a few fights, then another and so forth until you've done that for all the characters.

EDIT: And I seriously doubt there will be any predator fights before The Devourer until the devs have time to make playable versions of them. Unless it's one of those things where they're not normal fights, and the predator battles are more like find-the-weak-point gimmick fights or what have you.

Last edited:

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Not quite sure how co-op would work in a 1v1 fighting game. :p

I wouldn't say no to things like a branching story with multiple endings, but I was assuming this would be closer to how MKX did its story mode. You play as one character for maybe three or four fights, then the perspective changes, and you're a different character for the fights, then another and so forth until you've done that for all the characters.
Well, like, coop for puzzle solving. Or even a few coop only puzzles that unlock little things, like a brand-new ribbon to wear or a nice friendship hat. Or, conversely, a story mode in which you do coop puzzles, and when a fight happens, you and your friend(s) decides who will fight, or the game picks according to story.

danmiy12

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 7, 2016
Hawaii
Or they could do what dissidia did and have the predators appear in cutscenes but during fights you fight what is call maquieens <clone characters of main characters with a unique skin> with signicantly lower stats however any damage they do to you sticks (but you can use healing items earned though wins)

and of course there are the optinal battles where they have higher stats then you and can kill you in a couple hits but you get a lot of stuff if you win...or it might not work since idk dissidia was also an rpg and though the villains appeared in cutscenes the fact that sometimes you fight them idk it might work at launch.

but I feel the best thing they could do is come up with reasons the real version want to fight and give them dialouge with each other...and hopefully have a working final boss at launch (he doesnt have to be playable) just in a state that the ai can use him and crush you.

edit: and the maqueens had very good reason to be there but idk if tfh wants to do that too as an excuse for why certain charcters can fight each other since they are really good friends and wouldnt fight otherwise.

OCisbestungulate

Always watching you
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
behind your curtains
Or they could do what dissidia did and have the predators appear in cutscenes but during fights you fight what is call maquieens <clone characters of main characters with a unique skin> with signicantly lower stats however any damage they do to you sticks (but you can use healing items earned though wins)

and of course there are the optinal battles where they have higher stats then you and can kill you in a couple hits but you get a lot of stuff if you win...or it might not work since idk dissidia was also an rpg and though the villains appeared in cutscenes the fact that sometimes you fight them idk it might work at launch.

but I feel the best thing they could do is come up with reasons the real version want to fight and give them dialouge with each other...and hopefully have a working final boss at launch (he doesnt have to be playable) just in a state that the ai can use him and crush you.

edit: and the maqueens had very good reason to be there but idk if tfh wants to do that too as an excuse for why certain charcters can fight each other since they are really good friends and wouldnt fight otherwise.
Well, you see, the thing is that they DO want to fight each other. As far as we know (if I'm not mistaken), they've never met prior to arriving at the capital, and each race wants to have the key for itself. Granted, it could be that they fight at first, then perhaps the more peaceful ones become friends. But perhaps there are those of each race that have either decided that they should be a champion, or perhaps they're either possessed by the predators, or serve them. They would work as fine generic foes imo.

Protect Your Joules

Comfy as Pomfy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
we needn't look further than Skullgirls to know how the story mode of TFH is going to turn out. The amount of effort needed to make the actual fighting part of the game will always take precedence. The story will consist of a brief prologue then a set number of matches against the other members, with dialog pieces in between for narration purposes to lead to the next fight, ultimately ending up at the final boss. Afterwards the epilogue to round things off.

Stars

Just a Guy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Kansas
we needn't look further than Skullgirls to know how the story mode of TFH is going to turn out. The amount of effort needed to make the actual fighting part of the game will always take precedence. The story will consist of a brief prologue then a set number of matches against the other members, with dialog pieces in between for narration purposes to lead to the next fight, ultimately ending up at the final boss. Afterwards the epilogue to round things off.
Except the devs have already stated that there will be walkarounds in between battles. The gameplay of the fights will take precedence, sure, but there's so much more they can do with the story mode than just canned dialogue.

Reactions: Feanor

Feanor

Proud Velveeta
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Earth
I don't think you can equate TFH and Skullgirls in this regard. I don't think SG was ever meant to have any deep storyline beyond an excuse to have a bunch of skimpy dressed females duke it out. TFH - on the other hand - has shown a value for lore from the start, with the whole Book of Lore and everything we have heard from them and Lauren in streams (not to mention all the visual lobby stuff!) Even if gameplay comes first, I don't think that precludes the possibility for a fun and interesting Story Mode.

Reactions: Stars

Muro

Fight me in Skullgirls
Crowdfund Backer
Feb 3, 2016
Poland
steamcommunity.com
I don't think SG was ever meant to have any deep storyline beyond an excuse to have a bunch of skimpy dressed females duke it out.
To be fair, elements of Skullgirls' story existed in the creative director's head and sketches years before there was a fighting game.
The lore of the game is fairly elaborate, even if only so much of it could be expressed via fighting game story modes.

Protect Your Joules

Comfy as Pomfy
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
I don't think you can equate TFH and Skullgirls in this regard. I don't think SG was ever meant to have any deep storyline beyond an excuse to have a bunch of skimpy dressed females duke it out. TFH - on the other hand - has shown a value for lore from the start, with the whole Book of Lore and everything we have heard from them and Lauren in streams (not to mention all the visual lobby stuff!) Even if gameplay comes first, I don't think that precludes the possibility for a fun and interesting Story Mode.
Showing value in the lore is one thing, implementing the lore into the game is another. Lauren can continue to write lore, but they might not be put directly into the game. I'm reminded of how Destiny did it, with an external source of lore independent of the game, while not putting as much of it into the game itself.

No one will deny that the fighting aspect of this game takes a ton of work, especially for a small team like M6. I'm just trying to be rational in the amount of work that would be needed to do this. Best i think of is use the visual lobby, JRPG style for the story/lore, only because I assume it's easier to work with.

Velvet_The_Reindeer

Backers' Beta Tester
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 13, 2016
Showing value in the lore is one thing, implementing the lore into the game is another. Lauren can continue to write lore, but they might not be put directly into the game. I'm reminded of how Destiny did it, with an external source of lore independent of the game, while not putting as much of it into the game itself.

No one will deny that the fighting aspect of this game takes a ton of work, especially for a small team like M6. I'm just trying to be rational in the amount of work that would be needed to do this. Best i think of is use the visual lobby, JRPG style for the story/lore, only because I assume it's easier to work with.
This pretty much.

Tho I do hope we get some of the lore in game, Destiny failed as a story driven game because NO lore at all was in the game wich quickly made me not care abotu what I was fighting for since I did not even know what was going on.

Basically the only in game info was "There are aliens, go shoot stuff"

Feanor

Proud Velveeta
Backers' Beta Tester
Feb 3, 2016
Earth

It's certainly possible. I would be happy even if they just had the Book of Lore ongoing, and did whatever they could manage in-game - but I will hold out hope for more! I think that a focus on the Lore could be a chance to REALLY set this game apart from the rest.